PDA

View Full Version : Avery On The Hot Seat?

monosylab1k
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.nysun.com/article/59968

Johnson Must Succeed To Avoid Texas Boot

By MARTIN JOHNSON
August 7, 2007

Is Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson on the hot seat?

The question may seem absurd, as Johnson has a regular season winning percentage of .786, the best of any active coach. But Johnson's postseason tally is merely average at .524 (a 22–20 record). In each of the Mavericks' last two postseasons, they've gone from the odds-on choice to win it all, to exiting the playoffs with a spectacular thud. The Mavericks' offseason moves, particularly in contrast to their last two summers, suggest that the chair in Johnson's office may be warming up a bit.

Usually the Mavericks are one of the most active teams in the summer as they furiously retool their team for another run at that elusive title. They engineer draft-day swaps, add salary, move promising young players for veteran savvy, and the like. This summer, barely a peep was heard out of the Mavericks offices. Yes, they gave casual pursuit of free agent prizes Grant Hill and Gerald Wallace. They've also been mentioned as a possible destination for Kobe Bryant (though I doubt anyone takes that too seriously).

Barring a bolt from the blue, the Mavericks' off-season player moves have only consisted of adding three second-round draft picks, picking up the option on center DeSagana Diop, and re-upping with aging swingmen Jerry Stackhouse and Devean George. This weekend, they all but finished this series of tweaks by inking free agent forward Eddie Jones to a two-year deal.

After the Mavericks roared to 67 wins last season — only to bow out in six games during a first-round rout by the Golden State Warriors — you might have suspected major summer changes. Instead, the team has stood pat.

Furthermore, it isn't as if this is a team with a lot of expiring contracts that can be reshaped over one summer. Instead, these are the Dallas Mavericks for the rest of the decade. The team's officials weren't shy in talking title all of last season, as if the team owed one to the fans after frittering away an excellent chance against Miami in 2006. Their moves — or the lack thereof — are big votes of confidence in this edition of the roster. If further changes will be made, they most likely will be on the sidelines.

That's the circumstantial evidence pointing to Johnson's hot seat, and there's also some compelling direct evidence. Both against Golden State a few months ago and against Miami last spring, the Mavericks struggled to match tactics against their opponents.

In game 4 against the Heat, Pat Riley changed the Heat's defensive strategy to surround forward Dirk Nowitzki and force the other Mavericks scorers to beat them. Dallas was slow in adjusting to the new defense and spent the remainder of the series finding their secondary options — Stackhouse, forward Josh Howard, and guards Jason Terry and Devin Harris — only as the shot clock wound down. As a result, the Mavericks went from having a title in their grasp before the end of game 3 (up two games to none with a doubledigit lead in the fourth quarter) to the short end of a six-game series.

The Mavericks failed to tailor their strengths against the Warriors to capitalize on that team's weaknesses. Golden State played a small lineup that was prone to be being over-powered near the rim. Rather than run plays for the 7-foot Nowitzki near the basket, they insisted on getting him the ball in at the elbow and other spots away from the hoop, enabling the Warriors' double and triple teams to bottle him up and strangle the Mavericks' offense. By contrast in the next round, Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan all but eliminated the part of the Jazz playbook that called for power forward Carlos Boozer to take midrange shots against the Warriors, and instead called one play after another that simply fed him the ball inside until he'd worn out every Warrior defender. As a result, the Jazz won the series over Golden State in five games.

Many critics singled out Nowitzki for the Mavericks' playoff failure, but it wasn't as if Boozer and Nowitzki have radically different inside games. Both have averaged about nine boards a game during their career, though Boozer is thought of as a bruiser and Nowitzki is regarded as a European softy. Nowitzki has a deadly threepoint shot and Boozer is a somewhat better rebounder. But there was nothing stopping the Mavs from trying the Utah strategy — except that, evidently, no one thought of it. Rather than tailor their strengths to their opponents' weaknesses, the Mavs again went down by sticking to their regular season offense.

That's the second reason I think that Johnson's seat is getting warmer. The third is that the team hired Paul Westphal, an experienced head coach, to be Johnson's lead assistant. Del Harris, a veteran head coach who is also on staff, has said he's not interested in another head coaching job and it's no surprise why, as he is 70. Westphal is 56 and still wants to run a team.

I don't expect that we'll soon see Johnson doing color commentary on TNT while his agent looks for possible vacancies. While his tactical failures have come on a big stage, they are the usual growing pains of young coach. It's just that most young coaches don't take over title ready teams, and not many young coaches beat either Pat Riley or Don Nelson on their first out. This is Johnson's fourth season running the show in Dallas. If he learns from his mistakes now, then he'll be there a while. But if he doesn't, and the Mavericks make another dramatic playoff face plant, expect Johnson in the broadcast booth: He certainly won't be the first coach to learn his lessons the hard way.

Findog
08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Who the fuck is Martin Johnson? Sounds like he was hard up for a column idea.

monosylab1k
08-07-2007, 01:32 PM
He makes some valid points.

I read an old Sports Illustrated from March that had, right there in black & white, the phrase "Don Nelson thinks Nowitzki is vulnerable off the dribble, others feel swarming him with smaller players works".....some slapdick at SI can figure that out but Avery can't, or he refuses to adjust when it happens?

Findog
08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
He makes some valid points.

I read an old Sports Illustrated from March that had, right there in black & white, the phrase "Don Nelson thinks Nowitzki is vulnerable off the dribble, others feel swarming him with smaller players works".....some slapdick at SI can figure that out but Avery can't, or he refuses to adjust when it happens?

A) Dirk's numbers were way down after the All-Star break. It didn't start with Golden State. Going back to the beginning of the 05-06 season, he hadn't had any time off, the previous season not ending until June, and then a stint with the German national team. It doesn't excuse his subpar play against the Warriors, but it certainly helps explain it. He'd been playing basketball without a break for 17 months straight. The way this team is constructed, Dirk has to put up 27 and 12 for us to win. He put up 19, 10 and 3 in the Warrior series.

B) With Dampier out with a torn rotator cuff, Dirk slid over to C. We all know Dirk is a decent help defender but lousy on the ball defender. You can criticize Dampier all you want for putting up 7 point and 7 rebounds in exchange for $10 million a year, but I'd rather him out there guarding opposing bigs than Dirk. When you put Baron Davis and four 6'7 wings out there, who is he supposed to guard?

I don't think there was much for Avery to do, considering his star player was not at his best and Nellie had the personnel to turn him into a liability on the other end of the court.

monosylab1k
08-07-2007, 01:44 PM
A) Dirk's numbers were way down after the All-Star break. It didn't start with Golden State. Going back to the beginning of the 05-06 season, he hadn't had any time off, the previous season not ending until June, and then a stint with the German national team. It doesn't excuse his subpar play against the Warriors, but it certainly helps explain it. He'd been playing basketball without a break for 17 months straight. The way this team is constructed, Dirk has to put up 27 and 12 for us to win. He put up 19, 10 and 3 in the Warrior series.

B) With Dampier out with a torn rotator cuff, Dirk slid over to C. We all know Dirk is a decent help defender but lousy on the ball defender. You can criticize Dampier all you want for putting up 7 point and 7 rebounds in exchange for $10 million a year, but I'd rather him out there guarding opposing bigs than Dirk. When you put Baron Davis and four 6'7 wings out there, who is he supposed to guard?

I don't think there was much for Avery to do, considering his star player was not at his best and Nellie had the personnel to turn him into a liability on the other end of the court.

By the time the playoffs roll around, everybody is tired. It's all about mental toughness and sheer will at that point. Dirk being "too tired" to perform well in the playoffs only lends support to the theory that he's not mentally tough enough to lead a team to a title.

Also, not being able to play Vagina Dampier is no excuse whatsoever. If Rasho (pretty much equivalent to Dampier) was out with an injury, would Popovich have thrown up his arms and said "Well NOW we're fucked!"

And Dampier couldn't have guarded Biedrins/Harrington any better than Dirk anyways. He wouldn't have helped any more on offense than Diop. He's no excuse.

Avery made mistake after mistake in that series. It's hindsight now but this is two years in a row where he's been taken to school by a better coach.

Findog
08-07-2007, 01:52 PM
By the time the playoffs roll around, everybody is tired. It's all about mental toughness and sheer will at that point.

How many of those guys have played 17 months straight as opposed to 8 months straight? The Warriors don't tend to play past April. Fresh legs have nothing to do with mental toughness.

Also, not being able to play Vagina Dampier is no excuse whatsoever. If Rasho (pretty much equivalent to Dampier) was out with an injury, would Popovich have thrown up his arms and said "Well NOW we're fucked!"

Dampier is >>>>> Rasho.

And Dampier couldn't have guarded Biedrins/Harrington any better than Dirk anyways.

Oh, yes, he would have. Dampier would've done a much better job at protecting the rim from dribble penetration than Dirk. Matt Barnes won't posterize Damp.

He wouldn't have helped any more on offense than Diop.True, but we don't need 20 and 10 from Damp to win.

Avery made mistake after mistake in that series. It's hindsight now but this is two years in a row where he's been taken to school by a better coach

Avery's a young coach. It's not that much of a mark of shame to get schooled by Nellie or Gordon Gecko. Say what you will about them, but those guys can coach.

monosylab1k
08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
How many of those guys have played 17 months straight as opposed to 8 months straight? The Warriors don't tend to play past April. Fresh legs have nothing to do with mental toughness.

after 82 games nobody has fresh legs. I thought the whole point of sitting Dirk that last week (against Golden State among others) was to give him fresher legs?

Dampier is >>>>> Rasho.

Not saying I want Rasho, but Dampier isn't >>>>>> than anybody.

Oh, yes, he would have. Dampier would've done a much better job at protecting the rim from dribble penetration than Dirk.
That explains why Biedrins put up such huge numbers against Dallas in the regular season....because Dampier owned him so bad.

True, but we don't need 20 and 10 from Damp to win.

and? this isn't about what he can do, it's about what other people can do just as well or better than him (which is damn near everything).

Avery's a young coach. It's not that much of a mark of shame to get schooled by Nellie or Gordon Gecko. Say what you will about them, but those guys can coach.

and this team is on the verge of a title. Can we afford for this young coach to make young coach mistakes with a title-caliber team? I'm not saying get rid of Avery, but this team has a 3 year window for a title, and unless he's gonna get his shit together and figure it out right fucking now, then maybe we do need to get a coach with enough experience to take advantage or our small opportunity.

we handed over the keys of a Maserati to a very smart and enthusiastic 16 year old....there's chances he figures things out quickly and drives it just fine, but there's an equally great chance that he'll run that thing into a telephone pole.

Findog
08-07-2007, 02:08 PM
after 82 games nobody has fresh legs. I thought the whole point of sitting Dirk that last week (against Golden State among others) was to give him fresher legs?

It's relative. Considering Davis had missed 19 games, Richardson had missed 30, and they were absolutely the driving factors in that series win, then yes, they had fresher legs than Dirk.

That explains why Biedrins put up such huge numbers against Dallas in the regular season....because Dampier owned him so bad.

If Dampier had been back to protect the lane against dribble penetration, it would've increased our chances of winning. I never said Dampier was the second coming of Bill Russell, and >>>>>> is laying it on thick, but he's a useful player. Most of the criticism directed his way is because he's a MLE player making near-max money.

Shank
08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
To the question, the answer is 'no'.

That was easy.

Findog
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM

That was easy.

Now that I know Shank speaks with some authority, I find this answer reassuring. I like Avery, I think he has a great coaching career ahead of him.

monosylab1k
08-07-2007, 02:56 PM

That was easy.
another postseason flameout and maybe he ought to be.

i like Avery, but we can't have him learning on the job while this team's small window for a title slams shut on us.

Findog
08-07-2007, 03:00 PM
another postseason flameout and maybe he ought to be.

i like Avery, but we can't have him learning on the job while this team's small window for a title slams shut on us.

Small window?? Dirk is 29, Josh is 26, Devin is 25, Diop is 23, Jet is 30. That's the core. This team's window is five years.

monosylab1k
08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Small window?? Dirk is 29, Josh is 26, Devin is 25, Diop is 23, Jet is 30. That's the core. This team's window is five years.
Once upon a time, the Kings thought they had a five year window too. One catastrophic injury later...

Findog
08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Once upon a time, the Kings thought they had a five year window too. One catastrophic injury later...

The difference being, injuries are something you can't predict. Even if the unthinkable were to happen to a member of our core (knock on wood), Avery has shown he's coach material. Some of his weaknesses will only be mitigated with more experience. Like the team, the coach is young himself.

Brutalis
08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry but the Mavs put together this 'championship' squad, got AJ to tell winners secretes from ole San Antone, and they still choked.

When can you just realize the blame doesn't fall on one person, coach or player, it falls on the whole damn franchise. It's cursed. Seriously...

Findog
08-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry but the Mavs put together this 'championship' squad, got AJ to tell winners secretes from ole San Antone, and they still choked.

When can you just realize the blame doesn't fall on one person, coach or player, it falls on the whole damn franchise. It's cursed. Seriously...

Pixie dust and magic! Curses!

Brutalis
08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Coke and whores is more like it. Just ask Dirk.

Findog
08-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Coke and whores is more like it. Just ask Dirk.

If that's the case, then we got about 3 titles to look forward to:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/410186998_0528dbbc16_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/173504825_36d20d748d_o.jpg

Willinsa
08-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Poor mavwreck fans, can't put any spin on choking to the 8th seed.

Findog
08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Poor mavwreck fans, can't put any spin on choking to the 8th seed.

Great post. Pat yourself on the back.

ShoogarBear
08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Sweet. Larry Brown's next job.

timvp
08-08-2007, 12:44 AM
When Pop is ready to step aside, I'm hoping AJ is available.

Come on Mavs, mess this up somehow :hungry:

whottt
08-08-2007, 12:46 AM
AJ>Spurs

timvp
08-08-2007, 12:52 AM
AJ = Spurs

Findog
08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
For what it's worth, Mark Cuban's PR spokesman has responded:

http://dallasbasketball.com/newmainArticle.asp?id=204

In the immediate wake of the Mavs’ Dismay by the Bay, there was an equal and opposite knee-jerk reaction. Cubes should sell! We’ll never win! Dirk sux! Avery sux!

In the ensuing months, most of us villagers have put down our pitchforks and doused our torches. … But in the village of New York, the pitchforks still poke and the torches still burn and, apparently, Avery still sux.

Now, I don’t know anything about the New York Sun. (Wasn’t that Orson Welles’ fictional “Citizen Kane’’ rag?) But I bet I know more about the New York Sun than it knows about the Dallas Mavericks and Avery Johnson’s alleged job insecurity.

In a news-story/column entitled (rather assertively) “Johnson Must Succeed To Avoid Texas Boot,’’ author Martin Johnson insists that the Mavs coach is “on the hot seat.’’ In our never-ending quest to step on other journalists to make ourselves feel taller, let’s play along, point by ridiculous point, shall we?

Says the Sun: Is Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson on the hot seat? The question may seem absurd, as Johnson has a regular season winning percentage of .786, the best of any active coach. But Johnson's postseason tally is merely average at .524 (a 22–20 record). …

Says me: Embarrassing way to start, Sun. Avery’s winning percentage of .524 is, in fact, NOT “merely average.’’ If an NBA coach has a winning percentage of .570, he’s in the top 16 all-time; Avery can get there with a few more series victories. Furthermore, not everybody is Phil Jackson (.699). Some guys are Larry Brown (.529), Rick Adelman (.507), Red Holzman (.552), George Karl (.440), Lenny Wilkens (.449) and, ahem, Don Nelson (.452). The Sun should know that those seven “some guys’’ are among the 16 winningest coaches of all-time. … You gonna fire ‘em all?

I’m not sure what Martin Johnson thinks an NBA coach’s playoff percentage should be. But even Red Auerbach’s is “only’’ .589.

Says the Sun: The Mavericks' offseason moves, particularly in contrast to their last two summers, suggest that the chair in Johnson's office may be warming up a bit. Usually the Mavericks are one of the most active teams in the summer as they furiously retool their team for another run at that elusive title. … (but) the team has stood pat. … That's the circumstantial evidence pointing to Johnson's hot seat. …

Says me: Oddly confusing. Besides the assertion that the Mavs make “furious’’ changes annually, I wonder why Avery’s in trouble BECAUSE the roster remains largely unchanged? To the contrary, logic says (right or wrong) that Mark Cuban’s willingness to return to the floor with generally the same group that won 67 last year – including the coach – is a VOTE OF CONFIDENCE in what Johnson is doing.

Says the Sun: (A)nd there's also some compelling direct evidence. Both against Golden State a few months ago and against Miami last spring, the Mavericks struggled to match tactics against their opponents.

Says me: There’s truth to this one; almost every good team that loses gets “outcoached.’’ But read on for proof that the Sun reached the right conclusion by analyzing the wrong evidence:

Says the Sun: (A)gainst the Warriors. …rather than run plays for the 7-foot Nowitzki near the basket, they insisted on getting him the ball in at the elbow and other spots away from the hoop. … By contrast in the next round, Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan all but eliminated the part of the Jazz playbook that called for power forward Carlos Boozer to take midrange shots against the Warriors and. … simply fed him the ball inside. … Many critics singled out Nowitzki for the Mavericks' playoff failure, but it wasn't as if Boozer and Nowitzki have radically different inside games.

Says me: And on that note – that Nowitkzi and Boozer share an offensive style – I hereby call for Commissioner David Stern to revoke the New York Sun’s press credential.

Says the Sun: (Another reason) I think that Johnson's seat is getting warmer. … is that the team hired Paul Westphal, an experienced head coach, to be Johnson's lead assistant. Del Harris, a veteran head coach who is also on staff, has said he's not interested in another head coaching job and it's no surprise why, as he is 70. Westphal is 56 and still wants to run a team.

Says me: What Steely Dan used to call “Pretzel Logic’’ runs rampant here. Avery hired Westphal so he could backstab him out of a job? Del is still on the coaching staff? Westphal wants. … Dear Author, inasmuch as it’s clear that you haven’t spoken to anybody with the Mavericks about any of this – not even to get your facts straight regarding Harris’ role -- how do you know what Avery, Del or Westphal “want’’?

Says the Sun: While his tactical failures have come on a big stage, they are the usual growing pains of young coach. … If he learns from his mistakes now, then he'll be there a while. But if he doesn't, and the Mavericks make another dramatic playoff face plant, expect Johnson in the broadcast booth: He certainly won't be the first coach to learn his lessons the hard way.

Says me: Geez, is the bar really set that high here? If the Mavs lose a playoff series “dramatically,’’ Avery’s fired? So it’s “Championship-Or-Go-Sit-Next-To-Cooperstein’’? The fact is, Avery Johnson’s seat is no more sizzling than the next NBA coach’s. … and maybe less so because of his terrific working relationship with Cuban and because the patience that is due him because of his youth.

The New York Sun should’ve started and stopped this article with the line, “While his tactical failures have come on a big stage, they are the usual growing pains of young coach.’’

But how is Charles Foster Kane gonna sell any rags by writing the boring truth?

ShoogarBear
08-08-2007, 09:06 AM
For what it's worth, Mark Cuban's PR spokesman has responded:

http://dallasbasketball.com/newmainArticle.asp?id=204Oh, man. Avery is a goner.

Findog
08-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh, man. Avery is a goner.

Don't think so. Fish is Cubes' stenographer.

ShoogarBear
08-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah. This is the dreaded "vote of confidence".

Findog
08-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Yeah. This is the dreaded "vote of confidence".

I think the Mavs would be crazy to ditch Avery. Cuban is nuts, but not when it comes to managing his portfolio.

monosylab1k
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
The Fish is the biggest tool in Dallas sports media.

Avery is shaping up to be a great coach, yes. But he's not there yet. As I've said before, the time to win is NOW so FUCK THE FUTURE and win right now....

If Avery can do that while learning on the job, that's all the more great....but if we keep failing in the playoffs and his inability to outcoach the guy on the other side of the court continues to be a big reason why, then I would have no problem with bringing in a more experienced coach who has won a title or two in his time to try and lead this team to a championship before it's too late.

ShoogarBear
08-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Actually, I don't think Cuban would fire Avery either. For all his shenanigans, Cuban is actually relatively stable with his key personnel.

Findog
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
The Fish is the biggest tool in Dallas sports media.

Maybe so, but Cuban pays him to run DB.com, so I assume he is putting out what Cuban wants.

Avery is shaping up to be a great coach, yes.
Then the matter is settled.

But he's not there yet. As I've said before, the time to win is NOW so FUCK THE FUTURE and win right now....

The time to win is yesterday, today, tomorrow and ten years from now.

....but if we keep failing in the playoffs and his inability to outcoach the guy on the other side of the coach continues to be a big reason why,

Funny how Avery was a genius when we beat San Antonio, but is now a dumbass after losing to Gordon Gecko and Nellie. I maintain that those were team failures from the owner's suite all the way down to the ballboys.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
You can always spin things in any direction if you get bored. Is keeping this team in tact a "vote of confidence" or does it finger AJ as the culprit for the loss? Management is really saying that this team is good enough to win a championship, it's up the coach to make it happen!

I don't buy that AJ is on the hot seat. Another embarrassing playoff exit like this last year and I might believe it, but right now I think the person putting most pressure on AJ is himself. Dude hates to lose.

Findog
08-08-2007, 10:02 AM
You can always spin things in any direction if you get bored. Is keeping this team in tact a "vote of confidence" or does it finger AJ as the culprit for the loss? Management is really saying that this team is good enough to win a championship, it's up the coach to make it happen!

I don't buy that AJ is on the hot seat. Another embarrassing playoff exit like this last year and I might believe it, but right now I think the person putting most pressure on AJ is himself. Dude hates to lose.

The fact is, Avery's shelf life as a coach is a lot longer than Dirk's as a star player. One thing he's done that Nellie couldn't is get this team past the Spurs and into the Finals, as well as turning this team into something resembling competence on the defensive end of the floor. That counts for a lot, and that ability as a coach has a lot more staying power than the current team that is going to be built around Dirk for the next five years.

monosylab1k
08-08-2007, 10:07 AM
The time to win is yesterday, today, tomorrow and ten years from now.
sounds like something the Maloof brothers would say circa 2003.

Findog
08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
sounds like something the Maloof brothers would say circa 2003.

Mark Cuban's a lot more competent than them, and the Kings probably would've won a title if Webber hadn't gotten hurt. Robert Horry's miracle shot and crooked refs didn't help either.

monosylab1k
08-08-2007, 10:14 AM
The fact is, Avery's shelf life as a coach is a lot longer than Dirk's as a star player. One thing he's done that Nellie couldn't is get this team past the Spurs and into the Finals, as well as turning this team into something resembling competence on the defensive end of the floor. That counts for a lot, and that ability as a coach has a lot more staying power than the current team that is going to be built around Dirk for the next five years.
The fact is, Quinn Buckner could coach this team to 55+ wins every season. We have no idea just how great of a coach Avery is because he inherited a championship-caliber team. We won't know he's great until he wins a title or until after this team is blown up and we have to rebuild. If we go into rebuild mode with no championship to speak of, and Avery continues to be outcoached the next 3 to 5 years in the playoffs, then maybe it was a mistake to keep him on board.

As far as Avery outcoaching Popovich......When you're already a three time champion, you can afford to have an off series coaching. Avery doesn't have the skins on the wall to afford the playoff blunders he's commited.

Findog
08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
We have no idea just how great of a coach Avery is because he inherited a championship-caliber team.

The hell he did. He inherited a soft team that couldn't play defense. He turned it into something formidable without major roster changes.

As far as Avery outcoaching Popovich......When you're already a three time champion, you can afford to have an off series coaching. Avery doesn't have the skins on the wall to afford the playoff blunders he's commited

Who says he outcoached Pop? I thought the "chess match" was about even. The Mavs are just a bad X's and O's matchup for San Antonio. Pop did what he could by going small. That more than anything helped San Antonio rally to tie the series up. It was more of a general comment on how you're an idiot when you lose and Stephen Hawking when you win in the eyes of the public.

monosylab1k
08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
The hell he did. He inherited a soft team that couldn't play defense. He turned it into something formidable without major roster changes.

he inherited a team that had made it to the WCF and held their own against the Spurs even then. the team didn't exactly suck ass under Nelson.

Who says he outcoached Pop? I thought the "chess match" was about even. The Mavs are just a bad X's and O's matchup for San Antonio. Pop did what he could by going small. That more than anything helped San Antonio rally to tie the series up. It was more of a general comment on how you're an idiot when you lose and Stephen Hawking when you win in the eyes of the public.

and unless you're stephen hawking for 16 postseason wins, you failed.

Findog
08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
he inherited a team that had made it to the WCF and held their own against the Spurs even then. the team didn't exactly suck ass under Nelson.

They didn't suck, but they were championship pretenders. There's a reason they lost that series, and it's not because Dirk got hurt.

and unless you're stephen hawking for 16 postseason wins, you failed

Even the Spurs fail half the time. It's rather unrealistic to expect perfection year in and year out.

monosylab1k
08-08-2007, 10:27 AM
They didn't suck, but they were championship pretenders. There's a reason they lost that series, and it's not because Dirk got hurt.

They were alot closer to winning a title than the Clippers, and about 25 other NBA teams back then.

Even the Spurs fail half the time. It's rather unrealistic to expect perfection year in and year out.

i'm not asking for it year in and year out. i'm asking for it once. with the team he inherited and the positions he's been in, that hasn't been an unrealistic expectation.

Findog
08-08-2007, 10:31 AM
They were alot closer to winning a title than the Clippers, and about 25 other NBA teams back then.

So Nellie gets a pass for "close, but no cigar," but not Avery?

i'm not asking for it year in and year out. i'm asking for it once. with the team he inherited and the positions he's been in, that hasn't been an unrealistic expectation

So am I. Given Trader Mark's first few years in the League, I think it's important that the organization sheds its label as being unable and prone to switching philosophies and personnel on a dime. Coaches and star free agents aren't going to want to come here if they think they're on the next plane out of town at the whim of Cuban.

monosylab1k
08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
So Nellie gets a pass for "close, but no cigar," but not Avery?

Is Nellie still coaching the Mavericks?

Findog
08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Is Nellie still coaching the Mavericks?

He still would be if Steve Nash had been resigned. His heart wasn't in it after his mancrush went to the desert.