PDA

View Full Version : Most dangerous team to Spurs now

Rummpd
12-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Ok Seattle and Sun's impressive and Spurs biggest enemy by far at times still themselves.

However, biggest external WCF threat this year is now and will be for next two years the Wolves who are bearing fangs recently again.

With their reclamation projects Wally and that troubled kid they are very tough and will be until beaten this year. Better on defense than Kings and Mavs and more experienced than the young hot teams.

This will be the most important series of the year = could determine seedings.

MadDoc

ducks
12-10-2004, 11:41 PM
sam is getting old
spree is getting old
both want contract extenstions

suns are going to be scary for the next 3 years
and maybe longer depends on nash
nash is grooming his replacement

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
sam is getting old
spree is getting old
both want contract extenstions

suns are going to be scary for the next 3 years
and maybe longer depends on nash
nash is grooming his replacement

The Japanese kid?

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2004, 09:44 AM
???żżż

ducks
12-11-2004, 10:05 AM
The Japanese kid?

L. Barbosa
maybe

if suns are smart though they need get a young point that will take nash's place
after he retires. they may or may not have him yet. nash could be a great mentor to learn from

pjjrfan
12-11-2004, 12:27 PM
During the half time of the Rocket's game, in answer to the question what changes are you planning for the 2nd half, Pop told Craig Sager, "We are what we are."

And what the Spurs are, is a defensive team, first and foremost, and if the Spurs don't play defense, then every team they play is dangerous.

boutons
12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Spurs beat Sonics 55 - 42 ... in the 2nd half, outscoring them in both the 3rd and 4th qtrs.

But the Spurs defense let the Sonics score 26 pts in the 4th qtr (vs the Spurs 28), a rate of 104 PPG, which is +20 PPG on the Spurs' avg PPG allowed, clearly a Spurs' defensive failure.

So one could really say the Spurs' 4th qtr defense, relaxing after a stellar 3rd quarter effort, lost the SEA game, while the Spurs' 4th qtr offense scored more than enough to win it.

In fact, what really killed the Spurs vs SEA was the total offensive and defensive collapse limited only to the 2nd quarter, allowing 29 while scoring only 12, putting the Spurs' down 19 pts at the half.

Remove the 2nd qtr, and the Spurs trounce SEA.

I'm not afraid of SEA. They are a good, but stoppable, offense-only team that can beat anybody if given the chance, and the Spurs handed them enough chances to give them 2 games.

violentkitten
12-11-2004, 01:33 PM
the spurs are the most dangerous team to the spurs

Solid D
12-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Barbosa backs up Nash. Tabuse the Caboose is more of a dnp kind of guy right now.

Gummi
12-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Teams like the Suns, the Sonics, and the Wolves are on my tough team list. Seattle really impressed me with their performance in San Antonio. Even though we haven't faced the other two teams I'm sure they will make it tough for the Spurs as well.

With the Suns it's their speed and athleticism. They really can run you out of the building if you let them. The key against them, limit the turnovers and get back on D.

The Wolves we all know how good they are. They have so many big players that they can throw at Duncan, Madsen, Kandi, Griffin, Garnett, and Johnson. And I'll never change my take on the Wolves, keep Cassell in check. He's their motor and as he goes the Wolves go. KG will post the numbers, but Cassell is their glue and if he's not playing well, the Wolves don't play well.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-11-2004, 04:16 PM
And ironically enough all three of those teams basically rely alot on a single guard to make the whole thing work. Ray Allen in Seattle, Cassell in Minn., and Nash in Phoenix-you slow them down and the whole machine breaks down. I think its hard to argue that anyone is more important to the Sonics than Ray. And Gummi is dead on about the Wolves. Cassell went down in the playoffs last year and the wheels fell off. And if anyone can manage to actually slow down Nash in Phoenix I think I would be proven right there as well. That was certainly the case in Dallas.
While I don't worry about the spurs stopping Sam, they haven't done much against Ray Allen and Nash always worries me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-11-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm not too worried about Minnesota, though I do wonder who is going to guard Griffin from our squad.

My biggest worry is Phoenix. They don't have much of a bench but their starting five is a freakin' All-Star squad.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Depth is the only reason I think the Spurs can beat the Suns. Of course, with the way Nash runs everyone up and down the floor they'll be ready for the boston marathon by the end of the year. They don't have an energizer off the bench like Devin or '03 Manu so if you can on top of them early you have a good shot.

smeagol
12-11-2004, 04:50 PM
After 252 idiotic posts, you get one right.

Props to you Violentpussy!

sickdsm
12-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Sam hasn't really clicked yet. Maybe a few games but if anyone besides me watched the Kings/wolves game last night, sam wasn't the key. Sam had one point in the first half. Flip has abandoned strategies of trying to sort minutes out and play the same people. The hot hand plays. Sam didn't get back into the game until the 3 or 4 minute mark left in the game. The game was either tied or the wolves were ahead after being down 6-15 points all night. Troy was doing a heck of a lot better than Cassell last night. This has been going on a lot so far. Flip always reminds me of Adam Sandlers coach in Waterboy. The wuss that Henry Wrinkler plays. I like the fact that unless your name is KG, he'll sit your ass down this year.

So in summary, last year he was key, this year he's not. Of course this year the wolves aren't playing as well as they were last year either.

boutons
12-11-2004, 06:14 PM
huh? Sam was very key in 4th for the big win @PHX.

(10:59) [MIN] Carter Substitution replaced by Cassell
(10:15) [MIN 71-76] Cassell Jump Shot: Made (10 PTS)
(9:41) [MIN 73-76] Cassell Turnaround Jump: Made (12 PTS)
(9:13) [MIN 75-76] Cassell Jump Shot: Made (14 PTS)
(6:57) [MIN] Cassell Jump Shot: Missed
(6:42) [MIN] Cassell Rebound (Off:0 Def:3)
(6:05) [MIN 85-79] Cassell Jump Shot: Made (16 PTS)
(5:39) [MIN] Cassell Jump Shot: Missed
(5:18) [MIN 87-81] Garnett Slam Dunk Shot: Made (21 PTS) Assist: Cassell (5 AST
(4:54) [PHX] Stoudemire Turnover: Lost Ball (3 TO) Steal: Cassell (1 ST)
(4:39) [MIN] Cassell Jump Shot: Missed
(3:22) [MIN] Cassell Rebound (Off:0 Def:4)
(3:14) [MIN] Cassell Jump Shot: Missed
(1:54) [PHX] Nash Jump Shot: Missed Block: Cassell (1 BLK)
(1:29) [MIN 94-85] Cassell Jump Shot: Made (19 PTS)
(1:01) [MIN] Cassell Jump Shot: Missed
(0:00) End Period

================

9 of 28 MIN pts in 4th, plus AST, RB, BLK, STL

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2004, 06:18 PM
After 252 idiotic posts, you get one right.

Props to you Violentpussy!

LOL, i must say i do agree with ViolentKitten for the 1st time.

:smokin :drunk :hat

watch, i bet VK is going to give me some BS after this post but whatever.

mattyc
12-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Fair point. We more often than not are the creators of our own downfall when we lose.

Rummpd
12-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Well so far the Bulls have not found the Wolves bite too much - maybe I was wrong - Spurs not losing except to Houston and Toronto fair to bad teams this year.

Those of you who went with Suns not a bad choice but lets see in 45 days where they stand.

MadDoc

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
12-11-2004, 10:06 PM
i've come to the conclusion that.... the cavs are not the most dangerous team to the spurs

sickdsm
12-12-2004, 05:36 PM
huh? Sam was very key in 4th for the big win @PHX.

Sam hasn't really clicked yet. Maybe a few games.............

If you think this wolves team is playing as good as they will all year you're dreaming.