PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that New Spurs Seem to Suck?

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Ever notice that whenever we bring in new free agent signings, they almost always struggle to grasp the SPURS BASKETBALL and seem to suck?

After the Horrys, Hedos, Rashos, Wards and now Barrys, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the players but the system.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Ever notice that whenever we bring in new free agent signings, they almost always struggle to grasp the SPURS BASKETBALL and seem to suck?

After the Horrys, Hedos, Rashos, Wards and now Barrys, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the players but the system.

A system that won two championships.

*Sigh*

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Hey, Johnny, name the last free agent acquisition to excel or at least stick with the Spurs.

Have another one.

timvp
12-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Bruce Bowen.

Malik Rose.

Mario Elie.

Avery Johnson.

Need more?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Hey, Ghost, name the winner of the second-most championships in the past six seasons.

Have another one.

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Those are good ones, timvp.

I think Bruce Bowen is the one one signed this millennium.

And he's a bum.

Eric Williams is better for Pop's sake.

Try again, pal.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2004, 12:19 AM
So Ghost, you've given up on Barry?

Drachen
12-11-2004, 12:28 AM
I know this guy named steve kerr.

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:39 AM
I have not given up on Barry. I am starting to question the opportunities Pop gives to newcomers and the system itself.

Tell your husband to find me a free agent that has excelled or at least stuck with the Spurs during the new millennium.

We're going on 2005, right?

timvp
12-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Devin Brown.

Admit he's good.

Nikos
12-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Tell your husband to find me a free agent that has excelled or at least stuck with the Spurs during the new millennium.

Why doesnt that same logic apply to Parker and Ginobili who are natural slashers and attackers? They probably do not fit with Spurs style ball either no? Or do you think the just simply suck without Duncan by their side?

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Brown is good, but he has no prior experience on any other NBA team.

The Spurs are all he knows.

He was essentially a rookie on the Spurs.

I'm talking about the Spurs bringing in a free agent.

LAtely all them turn out to be busts and/or leave the team at the first opportunity to do so.

After a while, we gotta start questioning whether the system is flawed, too tough too grasp or these players aren't being given every opportunity to succeed.

Right or wrong?

T Park
12-11-2004, 12:51 AM
the system is flawed

Yeah, two championships just blows.

Maybe Barry's defense sucks and thats why he aint playing??

Nahhhh, couldnt be.

timvp
12-11-2004, 12:52 AM
What is the difference between a free agent and someone the Spurs draft like Parker, Ginobili or even Beno. Beno had only seen the NBA ballas on TV and he came over and is tearing it up.

Maybe that means that Parker and Ginobili are just THAT good. On other teams, they'd be certain all-stars. You don't think that could be the case?

P.S.

Brown also played for the Denver Nuggets.

T Park
12-11-2004, 12:52 AM
Stephen Jackson seemed to excel pretty well in the system, until he went and got money in his eyes and didnt care about winning anymore.

violentkitten
12-11-2004, 01:52 AM
hey ghost heres a darkie youd like (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=holdinitdown.wmv)

Aud21946
12-11-2004, 03:54 AM
It could be said with all the good players we let leave that didn't fit in and do great when they are not here.
AKA... Antonio Daniels( Seattle) ... Derek Anderson ( Portland)..Stephan Jackson( Indy) Speedy Claxton( Golden State).. There are probably more but I just picked the ones that stand put to me.

GrandeDavid
12-11-2004, 06:07 AM
I think that Ghost makes a damn good point. Its frustrating to constantly hear of the "learning the system" struggles, but it is hard to argue with such consistent success. Ghost, I think its more the caliber of free agent the Spurs bring in. NONE of the free agents over the millenium were brought in to be little more than efficient cogs to support Tim Duncan. Furthermore, for some reason players respect San Antonio, their coaches, organization etc. and want to play here. That, my friend Danny Ferry, has told me personally and quite emphatically. Having said all this, if the system were flawed, I don't think many guys would even come here in the first place. Surely, for example, Brent Barry would've heard rumors of how rigid and lame it is in San Antonio and would've had second thoughts about coming here. The fact of the matter is I don't think he did here such negative comments.

But, you make a good point. Is the system too hard? I would certainly hope not. After all, it is just basketball.

GrandeDavid
12-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Finally, the Spurs simply have not brought in any free agents who are true impact players who demand lots of shots and attention. They bring in guys who are entering the tail end of their careers or guys who play roles to perfection. Remember, its a small market team which is oh so thankful to have an anchor like Tim Duncan. They simply want to provide him with tools and little more.

Solid D
12-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Not all players are good enough to play at both ends of the floor well enough to be a Spur. There is a difference in being a contributor for a good team like the Spurs versus being a player for many other NBA teams.

GrandeDavid had some good points, particularly regarding role players around a superstar like Duncan.

Since G-Dub, you are beginning to question the Spurs' "system" and if it is flawed or too tough to grasp - ask yourself what other "systems" or head coaches are out there in the pro ranks that meet your standards. Championships are the measuring stick. If not, stick to calling in to Rick Kamla on the Fantasy League show on NBA TV.

Name another active coach and their "system" in the NBA with multiple championships.
If your answer is: Rudy Tomjanovich, you would be correct. He would be the only other one.

I suppose the Spurs, in order to suit your whims, could scrap their current successful (model system for some observers) and bring in a Ruben Magnano or a Pesic, but there could be some communication issues to overcome.

I suppose the Spurs could bring in a Jim Calhoun and his system or a Coach K. Surely they could attract and keep the players of today more than a couple or three years? I suppose their types of "systems" would make anyone forget the money and want to stay the course.

You're right, Ghost, why keep a system that can't keep real talent around for years to come? Why keep a coach and his system that has the highest winning % in the NBA among active coaches and ranks 6th all-time?

Solid D
12-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Now the Spurs must focus their attention on Cleveland who leads the Central Division with a 12-7 record and starts Ira Newble, a former Spur developmental player (FA signing), who was not good enough to stick with the Spurs, but who is the starting 2/3 for the Cavs. The Cavs are 11-4 with Newble in the starting lineup at 4 PPG. Maybe there is a place for low-stats role players.

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2004, 09:02 AM
What is the difference between a free agent and someone the Spurs draft like Parker, Ginobili or even Beno. Beno had only seen the NBA ballas on TV and he came over and is tearing it up.

Maybe that means that Parker and Ginobili are just THAT good. On other teams, they'd be certain all-stars. You don't think that could be the case?

P.S.

Brown also played for the Denver Nuggets.

Exactly Ghost, well said Timvp,

Ghost, you think Devin isn't a good players, Devin is a great player off the bench and he gives energy similar to Ginobili.
He shoots the ball well, he was the one that kept the Spurs in the game in Houston, he scored like 16 points off the bench, i'd say that's pretty good.

smeagol
12-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Ghost, I thought you said at the beginning of the season (after not posting for three months) that you were a changed man, more relaxed, less bitchy (I'm sure someone can retrieve that thread).

Guess, you were wrong!

Same bitchy, whinny Ghost as last year, clogging the forum with negative posts after a Spur's loss.

Experiment2100
12-11-2004, 05:36 PM
I think as Spurs fans we are quite spoiled. We are fortunate enough to have an incredibly deap team. In the beggining of the season Barry was playing well. It's not that he doesn't fit into the system it's just Brown is playing extremely well. Barry is in a slump right now yes. But unlike other teams who have to let their players shoot themselves out of the slump the spurs have the option of going to their bench and getting someone to replace the afformentioned slumping player. Brown is playing lights out right now. This early in a season I will take 16-5 anyday.

Ghost Writer
12-13-2004, 02:09 PM
The difference is paramount.

We have not seen any NBA veteran free agents come to San Antonio in the past 4 years and do well and stick around.

I'm just tired of seeing the ones that do actually play well for the Spurs leave, too.

And I can't take the let downs of guys like Horry, Rasho, Ward and Barry.

I'm not criticizing the system, becaus eSPURS BASKETBALL has proven to be successful.

I'm just wondering out loud why when the Spurs actually get a good free agent to come to play for us, they wind up sucking and or leaving early.

Marcus Bryant
12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
DRAMA

GoSpurs21
12-13-2004, 02:13 PM

After the Horrys, Hedos, Rashos, Wards and now Barrys, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the players but the system.This is the sound of someone grasping at straws

Typical whiner, always trying to put the blame on someone else other than where it really belongs.

Ghost Writer
12-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey, dipsh1t... yeah, you, GoSpurs21... can you explain why these guys aren't doing well with the Spurs and/or are gone?

Marcus Bryant
12-13-2004, 02:27 PM
AND MORE...

GoSpurs21
12-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Hey, dipsh1t... yeah, you, GoSpurs21... can you explain why these guys aren't doing well with the Spurs and/or are gone?Cause maybe they aren't willing to put in the work that it takes to be successful numb nuts. kinda like your ranting and raving. Always trying to put the blame where it doesnt belong. if the fucking system is for fucking hard then how come i dont here any ex-players whining about it like you shit head.

or maybe these players cant take the pressure from being on a team expected to win it all, but blaiming it on Pop's system (like most of your posts) is assnyne.

FromWayDowntown
12-13-2004, 05:06 PM
I'm criticizing the system . . . .

Ever notice that whenever we bring in new free agent signings, they almost always struggle to grasp the SPURS BASKETBALL and seem to suck? After the Horrys, Hedos, Rashos, Wards and now Barrys, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not the players but the system.

. . . . but after others point out that I'm wrong (Malik Rose, Mario Elie, Steve Kerr, Jerome Kersey, Antonio Daniels, Terry Porter, Derek Anderson, Danny Ferry, Bruce Bowen, Stephen Jackson, Speedy Claxton, Kevin Willis, Devin Brown, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Beno Udrih) I've decided that I'm not really criticizing the system . . . .

I'm not criticizing the system, because SPURS BASKETBALL has proven to be successful.

I'm just wondering out loud why when the Spurs actually get a good free agent to come to play for us, they wind up sucking and or leaving early.

. . . . so basically, I'm just bitching.