Not center as a starter? Parker out Beno in! :spin

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-11-2004, 01:49 AM
Not center as a starter? Parker out Beno in! :spin

It's like crack in a can!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/jamez/TB2.jpg

Urko
12-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Justt asking, does Beno deserve more minutes?

timvp
12-18-2004, 05:11 AM
He's playing pretty damn well, but he's playing the right amount of minutes as of now. He's starting to get some minutes at the shooting guard position, so perhaps his minutes will rise a little bit in the coming weeks.

Props to Slovenia for Beno. He's a stud.

:smokin

SLOVENIAN 8
12-18-2004, 05:38 AM
I could not belive that he play so good in NBA. When he was here in Europe he play good, but i never thought that he would be so good in NBA.
I dint think that he would be so constant. :eyebrows

Slomo
12-18-2004, 06:21 AM
I hate to repeat myself, but it's all about motivation with Beno. When he was drafted I was worried about two things: His health and his dedication to the game.

Healthwise I was confident that the NBA in general and the Spurs in particular would do good things for him. I remember a documentary about TP where they showed the Spurs training facility and some of the things they had at their disposal for preparing the players. I do not think that any European basketball club has anything that comes close to that.

As for his motivation I knew he would be very motivated at the beginning (just taking the floor in a NBA game is probably enough to make any rookie max out on adrenaline) my worry was (still is) that things would come too easy to him. I'm afraid of the "been there - done that" syndrome. Whith a team like the Spurs I believe they can keep throwing challenges at him to keep him on his toes (the final goal are the rings, right?). Another thing that the Spurs have going for them is that they won't allow him to start believing his own press. Imagine him on a team like the Lakers or the Pacers, his head would have already become so big he could not fit through the gym door.

He's like the smart kid in class who is bored since school is too easy for him and ends up underachieving. He needs a special advanced program and I believe he can get that from the Spurs (in addition to probably the healthiest team atmosphere in the NBA).

Now after these words of caution I must add this: I'm really happy about his performance and he has exceeded all my expectation early in the season. Keep it going Beno and bring back a ring to Slovenia!

SMLT
12-18-2004, 06:47 AM
I just don't get it... First let's say that I am a great TP fan (just to clear things from the start :o)

Beno seems promising and did great so far but all the threads/messages about , I quote, "beno >>>> tp" and the like seems either stupid or, at least, a little premature. Sure, Beno is a great shooter and has plenty of room to improve, but when compared with parker I would say that he lacks:
- Experience
- Speed
- Offensive moves
- Defense
- French accent
while he has a better shooting touch, passing capabilities are about the same, different syle though...

Still they are the same age... And Beno, while great as a back up, is playing most often against the second unit. I don't mean that he is not good and that his performances should be downgraded (he will get more playing time as the season goes), just that we need a little more times to really appreciate his skills. By the way Tp is 49% (42% from downtown) in december while averaging 6 assists. Not bad.

Anyway, TP AND Beno are good news for the Spurs.

While I am here, let just say that when we judge a PG in the Spurs configuration, we should always remember how their offense is structured. It's not fair to criticize TP or Beno with their relatively low (5/6 is fine but you know...) assists average since this team is playing a TD centered offense (even if it changes a little this year and, yes, two rings prove them right !!!)

cu

Urko
12-18-2004, 07:18 AM
I agree with you SMLT, he needs more games to really show that he's capable to; let us say "lead the team" but for now I think he's doing a pretty good job.

One thing that I really like about Beno is, he's passes and vision, which I think most of the PG's don't have. They all want to finish the offense by them self, Beno however always looks for others to fiinish it up.

Marcus Bryant
12-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Another thing people are missing is that Parker is going up against starting quality points while Udrih is typically facing backups. (edit - SMLT pointed that out)

This is not to say that Udrih is not good, but it does help to put it in perspective. (Note to the Slovenian MB Hater Society: I've thought Udrih could be the real deal from day 1).

Parker and Udrih bring different styles to the game. It's understandable that Spurs fans would be excited at the fact that the Spurs pulled off another first round draft steal at #28. But don't lose sight of the fact that Parker is definitely one of the top 10 points in the game, if not top 5.

Slo spurs fan
12-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Another thing people are missing is that Parker is going up against starting quality points while Udrih is typically facing backups. (edit - SMLT pointed that out)

This is not to say that Udrih is not good, but it does help to put it in perspective. (Note to the Slovenian MB Hater Society: I've thought Udrih could be the real deal from day 1).

Parker and Udrih bring different styles to the game. It's understandable that Spurs fans would be excited at the fact that the Spurs pulled off another first round draft steal at #28. But don't lose sight of the fact that Parker is definitely one of the top 10 points in the game, if not top 5.
^^^ :lmao

PS Beno played two consecutive 4/4 and S. Francis isn't 2nd unit crew.

Solid D
12-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Past two games:
Orlando game, Udrih enters game with 1:34 remaining in 3rd quarter and Orlando leading by 10 (74-64). Beno basically plays the rest of the game. Spurs win by 3.

In the Hornets game, Udrih entered with 1:43 remaing in 3rd quarter with the Spurs having just added a Ginobili FT and leading by 4. Beno never leaves the game after that. Spurs win by 13.

That's how well Beno is playing right now.

wildbill2u
12-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Instead of merely going through the motions, Spurs cutting to the basket are beginning to realize Beno will get them the ball in perfect position for the shot. It will improve the team immeasurably as everyone likes to score.

Parket might learn something there from Beno. I think the fact that Beno is playing more in crunchtime may be very instructive as well.

genghisrex
12-18-2004, 02:27 PM
In the Hornets game, Udrih entered with 1:43 remaing in 3rd quarter with the Spurs having just added a Ginobili FT and leading by 4. Beno never leaves the game after that. Spurs win by 13.
Actually, as I'm sure exstatic can tell you, the Spurs won by 16 after a late Beno three. Thank you Beno for that beautiful, beautiful 3 (x000 v$). :smokin

boutons
12-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Beno has long way to go in attacking the basket the way Tony does, but he had a really super baseline drive and finished with reverse layup last night. No rush, he has plenty of time to develop the physical courage to drive.

imo, a PG should have plenty of opportunities and touches for open short/midrange 2's, as Nash does so well.

spursfaninla
12-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Beno has long way to go in attacking the basket the way Tony does, but he had a really super baseline drive and finished with reverse layup last night. No rush, he has plenty of time to develop the physical courage to drive.

imo, a PG should have plenty of opportunities and touches for open short/midrange 2's, as Nash does so well.

You would hope your pg can get some layups by going to the basket, and it DOES highlight his lack of speed that he does not do so.

I think he is smart to play within his strenghts. Eventually, though, the game plan to defend Beno is going to be to crowd his shot because of his tendency to avoid penetration/going to the hoop. One-dimensional players are, of course, going to be easier to stop. We shall see how Beno handles it when more teams scout him correctly.

pjjrfan
12-18-2004, 05:46 PM
He is a rookie, so all you Parker loyalists needn't worry about Beno replacing Tony, at least not yet. But what the hell, if this kid continues to grow and continues to excell, it is just more good news for my team the Spurs. The Spurs don't need to worry about what to do with him for at least another 2 or 3 years whatever the length of his current contract is. And TP is tied up for another 6 years. They are two different style players, but when they are on their game they both help this team win. I'm a Spurs fan first and foremost, and as long as they both contribute I'm one happy camper.

euromaniac
12-18-2004, 06:05 PM
itīs stupid to compare TP a Beno. Benoīs allready shown us some good plays, but he still just a rookie. and the most important is that, heīs just developing his game and at the same time tryin to make an impression on pop. and heīs doing well. but, to say that heīs allready better than TP, is a bullsheet. maybe, heīs a better passer, but thatīs all for now. and we canīt predict whatīs gonna hapen after a few seasons. and you have then both in a team, what is a problem,.. be happy, and donīt compare them, itī nonsense.

Jimcs50
12-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Actually, as I'm sure exstatic can tell you, the Spurs won by 16 after a late Beno three. Thank you Beno for that beautiful, beautiful 3 (x000 v$). :smokin

That shot won me $44.50 instead of losing $50...I love Beno...he is going to be a top 5 PG, not TP.

Jimcs50
12-18-2004, 06:28 PM
He is a rookie, so all you Parker loyalists needn't worry about Beno replacing Tony, at least not yet. But what the hell, if this kid continues to grow and continues to excell, it is just more good news for my team the Spurs. The Spurs don't need to worry about what to do with him for at least another 2 or 3 years whatever the length of his current contract is. And TP is tied up for another 6 years. They are two different style players, but when they are on their game they both help this team win. I'm a Spurs fan first and foremost, and as long as they both contribute I'm one happy camper.

All true, but we have always had discussions if some new kid on the block is better than the player is taking mins from...this is normal behavior.

ie. AJ>Vinnie?, TP>AJ? Manu> Jackson? Horry> Rose? Speedy> TP? and so on and so forth.

This is just guys having discussions and having fun arguing about it....nothing personal.

Urko
12-19-2004, 02:03 AM
All true, but we have always had discussions if some new kid on the block is better than the player is taking mins from...this is normal behavior.

ie. AJ>Vinnie?, TP>AJ? Manu> Jackson? Horry> Rose? Speedy> TP? and so on and so forth.

This is just guys having discussions and having fun arguing about it....nothing personal.
My guess is that Beno has somehow manage to get into the spur game easier then most of the rookies outside the US. Of course there are some exception like Peja...but still, if Beno will develop like we all hope, I think next year Beno will play much more important role.

angel_luv
12-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Two things:

1) Yes, Beno is wonderful, brilliant, handsome and every other complimentary adjective known to man. He was already in good favor with me, but won me over completely when he smiled right at me.

And
2) I still can't get Rasho to smile at me. Nonetheless, leave him alone =)

violentkitten
12-19-2004, 08:43 AM
that just pulls at the heartstrings

SLOVENIAN 8
12-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Beno is now: Ranks #3 in the NBA in Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage(0.486) :smokin

Dario
12-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Keeps getting better and better by the weak. Rank #1 here we come :)

manustarting2gd
12-19-2004, 08:05 PM
Lets go Beno, Lets go...Dude is hoopin' , it was nice to see Parker as the two and Beno running point . Nice little lineup change by Pop.

ALVAREZ6
12-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Beno is gonna be good

Dalamar_the_Dark
12-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Beno has really impressed off late but we need to see him when he is playing against like Minny or the other contending teams.

Urko
12-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Don't worry, he'll be playing like a veteran soon!!!!!

cmurek
12-20-2004, 02:45 AM
Im very happy with his play and he will be just better in the future! But he will have a bad games too, like Parker has time to time! And this is a huge advantage for Spurs to have two exellent, but different playmakers! Beno and Tony will do their job perfect to win a ring

baseline bum
12-20-2004, 04:23 AM
I was really skeptical about the kid and the huge expectations Spurs fans have had the last few years with RC's picks, but damn, Beno looks like he could give the Spurs a PG rotation on par with Sacramento's Bibby/Jackson tandem. What's awesome is that Tony and Beno are two completely different players the Spurs can use to show different looks to their opponents.

I don't think Beno's ever going to be better than Parker, but he looks like he'll develop into a solid starting-quality point in the next 2 or 3 years. If the Spurs can keep him and TP together they'll be set in the backcourt for good in the Duncan era.