PDA

View Full Version : Celtics call Miller, who is considering return to NBA

samikeyp
08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2966170

Reggie Miller says he is contemplating a return to the NBA, this time with the Boston Celtics.

Miller, who turns 42 on Aug. 24, played his entire 18-year career with the Indiana Pacers before retiring in 2005. Since his playing days ended he has worked as a television analyst for TNT.

Miller was all set to continue that job when Celtics general manager Danny Ainge and coach Doc Rivers asked him to think about joining their revamped team in a reserve role, playing about 15 minutes per game.

Miller said he is calling friends and peers, seeking their advice and listening to their feedback before he makes his decision. He still plays recreationally, but must determine if he wants to go through the physical and mental grind of an 82-game season. He also wonders how his body would respond to the intensive training it would take to get him back to NBA shape.

The lure of playing in Boston is simple: with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen added to Paul Pierce, the Celtics feel they have a shot at an NBA championship. Like those three players, the only thing missing from Miller's list of accomplishments is a championship ring.

Miller, a five-time NBA All-Star, is seventh on the all-time list of games played with 1,323. He is 14th in scoring (24,305 points) and holds the NBA record for most made the most 3-pointers in NBA history with 2,560.

Since the Celtics' trades that brought in Allen and Garnett, the team has been filling out its roster with less heralded players, including guard Eddie House and center Scot Pollard.

E20
08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
It doesn't make sense. If these guys are desperate to win a ring, then there is only one real place to go that will give you a good chance and that is.........well you know.

jacobdrj
08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I would love nothing more than for my favorite player of all time to come back on a title contending team to bing some clutch savvy to his squad of some of my other favorite players of all time (Paul Perce, KG, and even Allen, at least I am a fan of Allen's stroke, if not the person).

This is not the MJ situation, because MJ came back, and despite his age, he was still the best player on his team (aka the Wiz had no talent). Also Reggie is more hungry. Larry Bird would probably encourage it as well. But man, they have no coach.

I don't know if Reggie REALLLY wants this or not.

JamStone
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
It doesn't make sense. If these guys are desperate to win a ring, then there is only one real place to go that will give you a good chance and that is.........well you know.

But, 2008 is an even number season. :p:

Viva Las Espuelas
08-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Damn. This would make The Celtics the "Smithsonian of the NBA" next year if it happens. Maybe we'll stopped being pegged as the only "old" team.

JamStone
08-08-2007, 12:21 PM
The Heat with Shaq, Zo, and Payton (to a certain extent Fatoine as well) has also been pegged as an "old" team.

mardigan
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
You can never have enough shooters, and they are really thin at sg, and you know the guy can still shoot. Dont know how well he would be able to contribute with his age though, but for cheap, you dont think he might be worth a shot?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
You can never have enough shooters, and they are really thin at sg, and you know the guy can still shoot. Dont know how well he would be able to contribute with his age though, but for cheap, you dont think he might be worth a shot?I just don't think their chiefs to indians ratio will allow any sort of harmony on the team.

Reggie Miller
08-08-2007, 12:47 PM
I would love nothing more than for my favorite player of all time to come back on a title contending team to bing some clutch savvy to his squad of some of my other favorite players of all time (Paul Perce, KG, and even Allen, at least I am a fan of Allen's stroke, if not the person).

This is not the MJ situation, because MJ came back, and despite his age, he was still the best player on his team (aka the Wiz had no talent). Also Reggie is more hungry. Larry Bird would probably encourage it as well. But man, they have no coach.

I don't know if Reggie REALLLY wants this or not.

I feel pretty much the same, except... It's the CELTICS! :bang

Somehow, I would feel better about the whole thing if Reggie went to the WC. It's going to be too weird seeing him in a Boston jersey after lighting them up in the playoffs so many times. I am not a fan of Pierce, Garnett, or Allen, either.

This could be pretty interesting, though. I always wanted to see Reggie play against the Spurs in the Finals. I just assumed it would happen with Indiana.

Findog
08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
The Celtics should bring Hondo back while they're at it

Reggie Miller
08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
I just don't think their chiefs to indians ratio will allow any sort of harmony on the team.

That may be true, but Reggie won't be part of the problem. He is a cocky little @#$%, but a good teammate. Reggie is now almost a pure spot-up shooter. He is actually more effective without the ball.

One problem I see for my favorite player of all time is he may no longer get "star" calls, and he needs those to be effective at this stage in his career. On defense, Miller uses a little bag of dirty tricks and handchecking to get by.

By the way, this is the main reason that I am always supportive of Bruce Bowen; he is nowhere near as dirty as Reggie can be.

EDIT: I just realized something important. The Celtics signed Scott Pollard, who is one of Reggie's friends...

Findog
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
On second thought, if this will get him out of the broadcast booth, I'm all for it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Hmmm. Interesting. It's an odd place to go if you're chasing a ring, but it might buy the Celtics some time to sort out exactly whose team it is. There is going to be some serious growing pains for this team. I could see a respected vet like Reggie being a locker room leader and glue guy that can help keep this team from tearing itself apart in the first half of the season while people are still feeling their new roles out.

And if his legs still have anything left they'll get a quality clutch shooter to boot. I'd still shy away from calling them championship material but definitely in the running for an EC Championship if they can get Reggie for peanuts.

Medvedenko
08-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, this could be interesting....I'm all for it...the NBA needs some gimmicks and hype....Now the Lakers get JO and I'll be actually look forward to the season again.

G-Money
08-08-2007, 02:27 PM

I know why don't they want to play for Detroit? Its simple logic to join this team if you want a championship.

mardigan
08-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I know why don't they want to play for Detroit? Its simple logic to join this team if you want a championship.
The Cavs would have been a better answer than Detroit

G-Money
08-08-2007, 02:29 PM

:pctoss

Bukkaki King
08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
They should call Bird and Mcale, oh wait those guys didn't have to do the whole leech thing. these guys need to accept that not evreyone can win a championship, just ask the Bad News Bears

two in the pink, one in the stink

:drunk

Findog
08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Boston needs a center and Patrick Ewing never won a title, so why not?

jacobdrj
08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Because there is an ever so slight difference between a SG who is 42 and a C who is 72... catch my drift?

samikeyp
08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Somewhere, Pooh is digusted at the thought of Reggie in Celtic green.

dg7md
08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I hate it when players come back from retirement, totally disregard their whole heritage with their team to try to win a ring, if he returns, just means that the Celtics won't win. Reggie IS the Pacers, and he wants to come back as a Celtic?

I know it's about the rings but show some pride, I expected more out of Reggie than that.

Before you mention NVE, I was never really a fan of his in the first place.

Findog
08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Because there is an ever so slight difference between a SG who is 42 and a C who is 72... catch my drift?

Sarcasm. Catch MY drift?

alamo50
08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Damnzzzzzzz.....

bdubya
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
On second thought, if this will get him out of the broadcast booth, I'm all for it.

In that vein....some team, somewhere, MUST have room for Walton. (Please o please o please o please)

SRJ
08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I remember Sean Elliott was asked by the Spurs to work out in 2004 to see if he had anything left. Elliott said that physically, he would be fine on offense, not on defense.

Now, Miller's never been asked to do as much defensively as Elliott was, so Miller for spot minutes to stretch the defense wouldn't be bad.

But I hope he doesn't do it. It's over, Reg. Don't embarrass yourself.

bdictjames
08-08-2007, 05:24 PM

:lol

gmanrulz
08-08-2007, 05:35 PM
i hope he plays for the celtics so we dont have to hear that squeaky high pitched voice with no insight anymore

Switchman
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Miller sucks as a commentator.

Hope they call up Malone too.

angel_luv
08-08-2007, 06:46 PM
i hope he plays for the celtics so we dont have to hear that squeaky high pitched voice with no insight anymore

My thought exactly.

Findog
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
In that vein....some team, somewhere, MUST have room for Walton. (Please o please o please o please)

The key to tolerating and even enjoying Walton's commentary is realizing that he's actually being very sarcastic. Also, I suspect he still uses shrooms, so I just imagine he's baked out of his mind while doing color commentary.

clubalien
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
That may be true, but Reggie won't be part of the problem. He is a cocky little @#$%, but a good teammate. Reggie is now almost a pure spot-up shooter. He is actually more effective without the ball.

One problem I see for my favorite player of all time is he may no longer get "star" calls, and he needs those to be effective at this stage in his career. On defense, Miller uses a little bag of dirty tricks and handchecking to get by.

By the way, this is the main reason that I am always supportive of Bruce Bowen; he is nowhere near as dirty as Reggie can be.

EDIT: I just realized something important. The Celtics signed Scott Pollard, who is one of Reggie's friends...

NVE gets your finely
scott pallard gets you a chance at reggie
hmm i consider this a legit chance of happening who knows i always though reggie miller would retire a pacer

Viva Las Espuelas
08-08-2007, 11:35 PM
EDIT: I just realized something important. The Celtics signed Scott Pollard, who is one of Reggie's friends...isn't that the idiot that did his best "yeah baby" look into the camera this past Final? How on earth can that be important? it's hard to detect sarcasm in 14point print.

DNS Error
08-08-2007, 11:44 PM
We'd take him in a breath. Grizzlies are hurtin for some perimeter prescences...

Mr.REDLION#22
08-09-2007, 03:19 AM

I agree 100%

Reggie Miller
08-09-2007, 08:17 AM
isn't that the idiot that did his best "yeah baby" look into the camera this past Final? How on earth can that be important? it's hard to detect sarcasm in 14point print.

Yep, Pollard is that dipstick you mention.

I was somewhat kidding, but it did make me wonder. The Celtics take a guy apprarently at random, who happens to be a friend of Miller. Next, they try to get Miller to come out of retirement. If Pollard brought anything else to the table, I wouldn't think this way, but...

freedom&justice
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM

+1

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
isn't that the idiot that did his best "yeah baby" look into the camera this past Final? How on earth can that be important? it's hard to detect sarcasm in 14point print.
I thought he said "Kids, do drugs".

Reggie Miller
08-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I thought he said "Kids, do drugs".

Yes, he did, but that was late in the regular season. Pollard was also mugging for the cameras a few times in the Finals, including a "Hi, mom" during the player intros for game three or four.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-09-2007, 11:36 AM
He's a pretty funny guy. When Jay Leno sent the cookie lady to cover the finals he was joking around with her since she was like 4'10. "My dad always said never mess with a short woman because when you're nose to nose her toes are in it and when you're toe to toe her nose is in it."

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I just don't think their chiefs to indians ratio will allow any sort of harmony on the team.

Are you saying they might or should bring Robert Parish back as well?

LakeShow
08-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Houston working out with eye on returning to NBA
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine

Reggie Miller is not the only former All-Star shooting guard considering a comeback. Allan Houston, one of the deadliest jump shooters of the past 15 years, is also looking to return to the NBA.

"It's something I'd like to do,'' Houston said in a telephone interview Thursday morning. "It's just a matter of getting myself back in game shape and getting used to playing again.''

Houston, 36, was forced into retirement in October 2005 after an arthritic left knee limited him to just 70 games over the previous two seasons. In 2002-2003, his last full season, he led the Knicks and finished 10th in the NBA with a career-high 22.5 point scoring average.

Houston, who worked as an NBA analyst for ESPN last season, said he has been working out hard for more than a month and that his knee feels great. He recently played in high-caliber (though not NBA level) summer league games in New York and plans to work out in Las Vegas with a personal basketball trainer later this month.

He would not discuss which, if any, teams have shown interest in signing him, but sources say Dallas and Cleveland headline the list of interested clubs. Boston, which has contacted Miller about a comeback, Phoenix, Miami and perhaps San Antonio, are also teams that would be logical destinations.

Out of courtesy, Houston informed Knicks owner James L. Dolan of his comeback attempt earlier this summer, and Dolan has allowed him to train at the Knicks' practice facility. It is not clear whether the Knicks would be interested in signing him, but Houston, who lives in nearby Connecticut, said he would not rule out a return to the place he played the last nine seasons of his 12-year career.

Houston, a career 17.3 point scorer, was still near the top of his game when he retired. He averaged 18.5 points in 50 games during the 2003-04 season, and while visibly struggling through knee pain, still managed to average 11.9 points in 26 minutes during his 20-game stint in 2004-05.

However, the two-time all-star and 2000 Olympic gold medalist is not expecting to return as a 20-point scorer.

"I'm looking to play a supporting role to some of these great young stars,'' Houston said. "More of a leadership role, someone who can add experience and stability late in games. I don't expect my scoring and my minutes to be what they used to, but at the same time, I'm not looking to just be a decoy out there. I'd like to have some kind of role.''

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine

Viva Las Espuelas
08-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Are you saying they might or should bring Robert Parish back as well?Well he's not too far out of the age range that they've been bringing in lately, so I don't see why not. I wish there was a Youtube on that block that went right into parish's face or from parish into someone else's face. that was classic. anybody remember that?