PDA

View Full Version : Funding For Iraq, Afghanistan To Surge Between 75-100 Billion

Nbadan
12-11-2004, 01:51 AM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration, facing mounting violence in Iraq (news - web sites) and demands for upgraded equipment, is assembling a funding package for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan (news - web sites) that could surge beyond earlier estimates to as much as $75 billion to $100 billion, congressional sources and experts said on Thursday.

~snip~

The Army's request alone could top $51 billion, far more than the $35 billion to $40 billion cited by the Army chief of staff in October, congressional sources said.

The Marines are also expected to push for billions of dollars more as the Pentagon (news - web sites) increases troop strength for Iraqi elections scheduled for January.

~snip~

Officials said rising fuel costs would add $3 billion or more to next year's price tag. World oil prices have skyrocketed since the start of the year, in part because of the turmoil in Iraq.

more

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=574&ncid=721&e=2&u=/nm/20041210/wl_nm/iraq_funding_dc)

What if we had spent $250 billion dollars to rebuild Iraq instead of destroy it? How many schools would that kinda money have paid for back home?

I wonder how much in added taxes Chevron, Halliburton, and UniCal are paying to 'liberate' the Middle East oil? Eh, who cares? On to the Caspien Sea!

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-11-2004, 02:01 AM
What do you think we're spending money on over there right now? I know it's hard to fathom that we're doing good things over there for the liberals out there, but the whole gloom and doom bullshit is all that sells papers/commercial time.

How many schools would that kinda money have paid for back home?

Last I heard Kerry still had 5 mill in his war chest, why don't you ask him to build a school or 50?

exstatic
12-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Another deflection to a Democrat, and a terrible analogy. Do you have any other post besides "Oh yeah? Well Democrat A did....."?

$5mil <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<$100bil

We're talking orders of magnitude here. Forget the same ballpark, they're not in the same universe.

Take my word for it: in 5 years when Iraq is the new Afghanistan, everyone will acknowledge this as money down the sewer. What a waste.