PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan: best power forward ever?

Supreme_Being
08-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Best PF Ever?

By David DuPree, USA TODAY
SAN ANTONIO — Tim Duncan stands out because he doesn't stick out. He is a selfless, fundamentally sound all-star in a league that thrives on pomp and flair.
The San Antonio Spurs star could also be the greatest power forward in NBA history.

The position is a modern-day amalgam that requires old-school skills. You have to be a scorer, rebounder, facilitator, shot blocker, passer and team defender.

Some players meet more than one of those requirements; Duncan has mastered them all.

"He is probably the best player to ever play the position the way he plays it," said Utah coach Jerry Sloan, who coached Jazz great Karl Malone.

With Duncan as the centerpiece, the Spurs have won three NBA titles (1999, 2003 and 2005) and are going for a fourth beginning Thursday night (9 ET, ABC) against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. No matter what the outcome, Duncan's place in history is secure.

"I think all around, there's never been a big forward quite like him," said Hall of Fame coach and analyst Jack Ramsay. "Bob Pettit was a great scorer and rebounder. Karl Malone was a more powerful player, but they didn't have the versatility Tim does. Kevin McHale was probably the best low-post, back-to-the-basket big forward, and he was a good defender, but he, too, couldn't do the things Duncan can do."

McHale, now vice president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves, also puts Duncan at the top of the list.

"With what he has done, three championships in eight years and having the Spurs right there for a fourth, he has to be right up there," the former Boston Celtics star said. "The thing about him is he's not flashy. He just goes out and plays."

Duncan is averaging 23.2 points, 11.4 rebounds, 3.3 blocked shots, 3.1 assists and is shooting 53.9% from the field in the playoffs.

During the postseason, he had a string of 11 consecutive games with at least 20 points and 10 rebounds. He has had game highs of 33 points, 19 rebounds, nine blocked shots and seven assists in different contests.

"He's one person who impacts every single aspect of the game," said former teammate David Robinson. "Everything you ask him to do he's able to do."

"He may be a 7-footer, but he's basically a quarterback in shorts," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

Team feeds off his steadiness

It's never about the individual accomplishments with Duncan.

"I feel good right now," Duncan said. "On top of putting those kinds of numbers up, we're winning games and winning series, and that's all that matters."

Robinson, a former league MVP who teamed with Duncan to help the Spurs win their first two championships, has witnessed Duncan's growth from an eager yet consistent and dominant rookie to a polished superstar without changing his demeanor or approach.

"No question he's the greatest power forward ever," Robinson said. "It's hard to compare anyone to Tim. He's in a class by himself. He's been consistently good for so long, and he's been ridiculous from Day One. He's just a steady presence, and the team feeds off it."

Because his style looks simple and he never seeks attention or accolades, Duncan is often taken for granted by the media and fans. Not so with his teammates and peers.

"He doesn't worry about credit," said Popovich, the only NBA coach Duncan has had. "It's fool's gold and doesn't figure into the equation to him."

What does figure into Duncan's equation is winning.

Since he joined the team as the first pick in the 1997 draft, the Spurs have had the best winning percentage in any of the four professional major sports (.709).

Duncan this season made the All-NBA first team and all-defensive first team. In his 10 seasons in the league, he has made All-NBA first team nine times and second team once. He has been named to the all-defensive first team seven times and the second team three times. He's been to the NBA Finals three times, has three rings and three Finals MVP awards to go with his two NBA MVP awards.

These are incredible feats for a player in a sport driven by highlights of spectacular plays. Duncan says every time he tries something fancy he loses the ball.

"He is just a steady man, and it's a pleasure to play alongside a guy like that because he opens up so many shots and creates so many opportunities," teammate Bruce Bowen said. "Look at all of his MVPs and All-NBA stats. It's truly incredible. But he would never tell you that. That's his humbleness, and we need more of that in this world."

Funny bone emerges

Though it is as hard to get a comment from Duncan about himself as it is for opponents to contain him, he does have a sense of humor and manages to loosen things up when necessary.

Manu Ginobili was in a horrendous shooting slump early in the playoffs until he got belted in the eye during the Phoenix series, causing a large welt that made him look like Rocky Balboa.

"It fixed his shot. I might do the other eye," Duncan said deadpan. Then in the Utah series, Duncan was cut under his eye from an errant elbow and said he asked for it because he liked the way it looked on Ginobili. "I think it's sexy," he said jokingly.

Duncan laughs so rarely on the court that when referee Joey Crawford saw him doing it during a game against the Dallas Mavericks on April 15, Crawford took it as Duncan taunting him and ejected the Spurs big man.

What isn't funny is trying to defend Duncan.

"He's probably the best post-up player we have in the world," Utah's Carlos Boozer said. "He has every move. He has poise. He never gets rattled. You can send a double-team at him, but he'll pass out of it. If he has single coverage, he'll face you up and shoot off the glass, get the layup, spin move baseline, right hook, left hook, fadeaway.

"He can do whatever he wants down there."

Duncan has been criticized as being soft, but former NBA coach Rick Carlisle dismisses that.

"He's such a great guy and a great person that the thing you forget is the thing that may define him — he's a cold-blooded killer as a competitor," Carlisle said. "There is no one tougher and no one who loves winning or hates losing more than Tim Duncan. With a superstar who is that good, that competitive and that selfless, you've got a franchise cornerstone and one of the greats of all time."

Power forwards are so critical to a team's success that seven of the past 15 league MVPs have played the position —Charles Barkley of the Phoenix Suns (1993), Utah's Malone (1997 and 1999), Duncan (2002 and 2003), Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves (2004) and Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks this season.

Pettit is a fan of Duncan's game, although he says he doesn't know what a power forward is ("I guess it's a forward who scores and rebounds. In my day, there were just forwards and centers and guards.")

"He's pretty unique in how he plays," Pettit said. "He can play with his back to the basket or facing it. I spent 95%-97% of the time facing the basket. He's pretty versatile as a player. It also seems that he's stepped it up in the playoffs."

Duncan teammate Robert Horry echoes Pettit's sentiments.

"He is the head of our snake, and everyone knows that, yet he still manages," said Horry, who has won six NBA championships with the Houston Rockets, Los Angles Lakers and the Spurs. "It's a testament to his abilities. His place in history is sure to find him as one of the best power forwards to ever play."

Tony Parker has had the luxury of playing all of his six NBA seasons alongside Duncan.

"He makes it very easy on me," Parker said. "He's doesn't mind sharing."

Suns point guard Steve Nash, the league's MVP two of the past three seasons, shakes his head and pauses when asked what impresses him most about Duncan.

"Just the way he approaches the game," Nash said.

Duncan had one of the most impressive Finals performances in 2003 when he averaged 24.2 points, 17.0 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 5.3 blocks against the New Jersey Nets. In the series-clinching Game 6 win, he came within two blocked shots of the only quadruple-double in NBA playoff history with 21 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and eight blocks.

"He plays great games at the right times," Robinson said. "You know you can count on him, but you don't have to praise him. You just have to appreciate him."

Contributing: Jim Halley

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2007-06-06-bonus-duncan_N.htm

jaespur21
08-09-2007, 01:42 AM
i read up until it said Finals Beginning.....man that article is old...im goin back to guitar hero ROCK THE 80s yeahhhh woooho9ooooo...wait its not my turn

Supreme_Being
08-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Well, it's a good read nonetheless.

bigfish22
08-09-2007, 02:10 AM
This thread is a revolutionary statement of facts!

romain.star
08-09-2007, 03:50 AM
Since Duncan plays in the league, the Spurs record is 709. I'm too lazy to do it by myself, so could someone check out the record of the 90's Bulls?

freemeat
08-09-2007, 04:20 AM
Since Duncan plays in the league, the Spurs record is 709. I'm too lazy to do it by myself, so could someone check out the record of the 90's Bulls?

Who cares about the 90's Bulls? What about Bill Russell's teams!?!?

Anyway, Timmy is the best player since MJ and should be considered in the top ten of all time.

George Gervin was like our LeBron...great, but no ring!

We were blessed with Timmy.

I'm glad someone brought this article to the table again. TD is SO overlooked in this forum it's ridiculous!

ALL PRRAISE TIM DUNCAN!!!

Texas_Ranger
08-09-2007, 05:50 AM
Timmy's d'best.

Solid D
08-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Of the guys I've seen, Duncan's the most successful although Pettit, Hayes, Hawkins, McHale, Barkley, Malone, Garnett and Nowitzki are all right up there as stars.

Satch Sanders is the Power Forward with the most championships, so I guess he would technically be considered the most successful PF to play in the NBA, but Timmy has much more talent than Tom did.

themvp
08-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Timmy's d'best.

Kje je moj mobitel? :loser

Kamnik
08-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Kje je moj mobitel? :loser

Še jaz ne razumem..... :toast

Glede na to, da je pa slovensko pa tudi večina ostalih ne. :dramaquee

oligarchy
08-09-2007, 09:13 AM

That .709 record is ten seasons. Jordan played with the Bulls for 6 seasons in the 90's (.789), but his total of 11 seasons with the Bull is .676

romain.star
08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
That .709 record is ten seasons. Jordan played with the Bulls for 6 seasons in the 90's (.789), but his total of 11 seasons with the Bull is .676

709. vs 676 sounds pretty good... but still 2 rings missing... the job is not done yet for TD

Switchman
08-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Chuck named his son, Tim Duncan Norris.

Oh, Gee!!
08-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd say yes, but who am I to judge these things?

dbreiden83080
08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
TD is a top 10 player EVER all the haters can choke on it, his resume speaks for itself.

Avitus1
08-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Tim's the best. Easy as that.

Nahtanoj
08-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Agree, best PF of All Time.

MONTENEGRINO
08-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Še jaz ne razumem..... :toast

Glede na to, da je pa slovensko pa tudi večina ostalih ne. :dramaquee
Ali ima ovdje i Crnogoraca, pa mi razumijemo... :elephant :downspin: :smokin

MONTENEGRINO
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Timmy is the best, no doubt. Even far, he is in starting 5 ever.

PG Magic
SG MJ
SF Bird
PF Timmy
C Olajuwon

That is my choice.

DOMINATOR
08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Timmy is the best, no doubt. Even far, he is in starting 5 ever.

PG Magic
SG MJ
SF Bird
PF Timmy
C Olajuwon

That is my choice.

that would be my list too.

duncan228
08-10-2007, 12:16 PM
This article should be required reading for every basketball fan. Duncan got a lot of positive press in this Championship run. Much more than he did in '05 when every media hound was questioning his heart.

The conversation from when the article first came out. (Not a lot but I thought it was appropriate to link it.)

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70335

JamStone
08-10-2007, 12:33 PM
I don't think that statement would get many arguments from anyone. If Timmy retired today, he'd go down as the best power forward in history. Where there might be some debate is of course the question of whether he's a true power forward and not just a center in disguise. Though he possesses the high post skills and athleticism of a power forward, his career his been, for the most part, highlighted by center skills as a low post scorer and as a defensive stopper. He'll go down as a power forward in most people's eyes because he began his career playing along side David Robinson. However, that too could be noted as a qualifier since D-Rob was not a traditional back-to-the-basket center but a high post, midrange jumper center.

So, it gets tricky a little bit.

If labeled a power forward, Duncan is most likely the best ever at that position.

But, if he's considered a center, there would be better discussion with respect to how he compares to Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq.

It's interesting to note, that while Tim is a 6-11, 260 lbs power forward, Bill Russell was 6-9 and played most of his career at about 215 lbs. Different eras, yes. But, still interetsting to note.

ambchang
08-10-2007, 03:11 PM
But is Duncan the best forward of all time? It seems to be a two man race between Tim and Bird.

duncan228
08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
But is Duncan the best forward of all time? It seems to be a two man race between Tim and Bird.

If we go by resume alone Duncan has it.

More Championships, more Final's MVP's.

Bird was incredible, he is the reason I'm an NBA fan in the first place.

But Duncan wins this hands down in my opinion.

Edit: I thought Duncan had more League MVP's than Bird but I was wrong. Bird had 3, Duncan 2. My bad.

tlongII
08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge

Agloco
08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge

Does somebody smell something? Like bullshit?

Roxsfan
08-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes TD!; and repeating once would be the icing on the cake. If not, it won't diminish his accomplishments, but it will open him up to criticism.

Obstructed_View
08-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Yes TD!; and repeating once would be the icing on the cake. If not, it won't diminish his accomplishments, but it will open him up to criticism.
Anyone that would criticize him for something so stupid would find something equally ludicrous if he won the next four in a row.

Roxsfan
08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Anyone that would criticize him for something so stupid would find something equally ludicrous if he won the next four in a row.

Of course they would. But that's exactly my point, this gives them something legitimate in their minds. Members of the media will find their angle and latch on for criticism.

Obstructed_View
08-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Of course they would. But that's exactly my point, this gives them something legitimate in their minds. Members of the media will find their angle and latch on for criticism.
But since failure to repeat is not a legitimate criticism, a moron looking to be critical is going to find anything and think it's legitimate. It would be like someone saying Hakeem wasn't as great as Duncan because Duncan's undefeated in the Finals and he isn't. It's a fact, but it doesn't diminish what he accomplished.

Agloco
08-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Prety easy debate here.....

Timmy is the best ever. Period :smokin

duncan228
08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
But since failure to repeat is not a legitimate criticism, a moron looking to be critical is going to find anything and think it's legitimate. It would be like someone saying Hakeem wasn't as great as Duncan because Duncan's undefeated in the Finals and he isn't. It's a fact, but it doesn't diminish what he accomplished.

Agreed. The morons will always find a way to justify their arguements.

For whatever reason the media and Joe Public don't seem to want to give Duncan and the Spurs their due.

I like what Rick Kamla said after we won this fourth Title and the "Dynasty" arguement was in full gear. Kamla compared it to Bird's Celtics who won three but never repeated. They're considered a dynasty by the media so Kamla thought that ended the arguement. If Bird's three were a dynasty without repeating then Duncan's four have to be considered a dynasty too.

Kamla:

http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=300004774

"While that Celtics' team was better than this Spurs' squad (I'd call Celtics in 5.5 games if they met in a virtual Finals), the best stretch for Bird's Celtics was three titles in six years. So the Spurs got 'em in that respect in winning three outta five. Furthermore, Spurs/Duncan doubters love to point out the fact that the Spurs' dynasty lacks a repeat, but Bird's Celtics are considered one of the game's great dynasties and they never repeated, so what's up with that?

Don't worry, Spurs fans, because your team will win at least two more championships, and when they do, your team will get its due and take its place among the game's great dynasties. And we won't have to apply asterisks or make qualifying statements or any of that mumbo-jumbo I get paid to mumble. "

remingtonbo2001
08-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Comparing Duncan to Bird, would be similar to a Stephen Hawkin/Einstien comparision. Both are considered Geniuses. Isn't that enough?

ambchang
08-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Comparing Duncan to Bird, would be similar to a Stephen Hawkin/Einstien comparision. Both are considered Geniuses. Isn't that enough?
But Einstein > Hawking, it's not even close. Einstein to Hawking comparison is more like Magic to Steve Smith.

Cry Havoc
08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
It will be interesting to see how dominant Duncan is in a few years. If he is still going along at this clip, he might reach the top 5 players of all time.

remingtonbo2001
08-12-2007, 01:21 AM
But Einstein > Hawking, it's not even close. Einstein to Hawking comparison is more like Magic to Steve Smith.

I wouldn't go that far. Although Steve Smith was basketball Savvy when his knees held up. I believe Timmy has the highest b-ball IQ of any post player, and maybe of all time. I'm not sure if Bird would be higher. Maybe. He made some absolutely ridiculous plays. Was fundmentally sound. But I still think Tim has him on fundmentals.

Obstructed_View
08-12-2007, 05:59 AM
Since Einstein has better speed, agility and hops, I don't think Hawking would even be able to score on him. Even dead, I think Einstein holds him scoreless.

ShoogarBear
08-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Newton > Einstein

ShoogarBear
08-12-2007, 06:47 AM
(waits for DaVinci reply)

ambchang
08-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Newton > Einstein
Well, given Einstein proved Newton wrong (or corrected his theory of gravity), it should be safe to say Einstein > Newton.
And Da Vinci ..... the guy is too weird, more of an artist than a scientist than a physicist. Even his inventions were very art based.

Roxsfan
08-13-2007, 12:09 AM
WTF, you guys are weird^^

http://z.about.com/d/physics/1/0/C/0/-/-/Einstein_tongue.jpg

ShoogarBear
08-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Einstein had an additional 250 more years of information to work with than Newton. Put him back in the 17th century without calculus and see how far he would have gotten.

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2007, 11:30 PM
TIM DUNCAN is top12 lookn in atm...

his career is not over yet, a few more rings and finals mvp will only push up his rankings....

fts and dpoy award :(:(

wildchild
08-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Tim the best power forward?

More than ever and ever and forever, YES!