PDA

View Full Version : Parker, on Spurs attitude...

JPB
08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
"They're the ones who are paying me so I'm obliged to respect what they're asking me. You have to put yourself into their position, when you see the money they're spending to pay us."

For those who said travels wouldn't affect him. Here's a part of the article :

Tired by his long return trip (in only five days), TP precised that he was still struggling a bit with his ankle. Not totally recovered, Parker doesn't envisage to play this week-end in strasbourg. :depressed Games are on tv. Thank god, Boris seems to be able to play.

thispego
08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
"They're the ones who are paying me so I'm obliged to respect what they're asking me. You have to put yourself into their position, when you see the money they're spending to pay us."

Tired by his long return trip (in only five days), TP precised that he was still struggling a bit with his ankle. Not totally recovered, Parker doesn't envisage to play this week-end in strasbourg. :depressed Games are on tv. Thank god, Boris seems to be able to play.
parker didnt say the travel affected him.. the author of the article did :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I didn't say travel wouldn't effect him right now for the day or two after he travels. I said one extra trip in the summer is not going to effect him during the season.

Oh, Gee!!
08-09-2007, 01:50 PM
tony needs to take the summer off

BeerIsGood!
08-09-2007, 01:53 PM
tony needs to take the summer off

No, then he'll come to camp like Beno. He needs to play, but just be smart and if he gets an injury make taking care of that injury a top priority over playing. It seems he's doing that so I don't know what the issue is here

Bruno
08-09-2007, 01:56 PM
parker didnt say the travel affected him.. the author of the article did :rolleyes

The author said that Parker is tired because Parker has said it.

The article JPB is translating isn't the whole interview.
For people that read French, the whole interview :
http://www.lnb.fr/index.php?pid=50&id_article=11410&cursor_start=0
Parker said : "I'm a little tired after having spend 30 hours on a plane in five days."

Bruno
08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
BTW, props to Mike D'Antoni :tu.
Without his help, Boris wouldn't have been able to play.

samikeyp
08-09-2007, 01:58 PM
He needs to rest until he is fully healed, period. Better to miss games in pre-season or even early regular season than later.

JPB
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I didn't say travel wouldn't effect him right now for the day or two after he travels. I said one extra trip in the summer is not going to effect him during the season.

I wasn't particulary thinking about you Kori.

More about people who said that five hours sleeping in a first class section in a middle of a preparation were nothing for this young man.

JPB
08-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Parker said : "I'm a little tired after having spend 30 hours on a plane in five days."

Very intersting stuff here. Her's a translation :

Q: How do yo feel after your return trip ?

A : I'm a bit tired after 35 hours of plane in five days. I had medical exams in San Antonio which showed I had a level 2 sprain to my ankle. It's still a bit distended. It was better this thursday morning but it's hard when I'm waking up. It's a bit more in cardboard. In a few days, it'll be better and I hope I will able to have training sessions, next week.

Q: Will you be able to play in Strasbourg ?

A: [......................] SA doctor let me go saying to me that I would have to take it slowly

Q: Were you worried not to be able to come back t play with France NT?

A: "Not at all, it's part of the business. [..........]To respect SA, I had to come back to Texas. My deal with them is that they let me play with france provided I'm back in Us to see doctors if I'm injured.

Q: do you understand their postion for a minor injury ?

A: "I had no choice. Sa is priority . They're the ones who are paying me so I'm obliged to respect what they're asking me. You have to put yourself into their position, when you see the money they're spending to pay us. But they can't keep me to play cos it's in my contract anyway, as long as I respect what they want, there won't be any problem with the french NT.

Q: Was it though a problem in the beginning of the summer in SA ?

A: "they didn't make problem with me. It's sure they don't really want to see me play for France but they didn't keep me from it they know I'm very attached to the french team.. Pop didn't even tried to influence me. He did it with Manu, this year but didn't with me.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I wasn't particulary thinking about you Kori.

More about people who said that five hours sleeping in a first class section in a middle of a preparation were nothing for this young man.

I don't remember anyone writing that. I remember people laughing at the idea of this round trip flight somehow affecting him or predisposing him to an injury during the season.

thispego
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM

links are goooood

whottt
08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Whichpego is thispego?

thispego
08-09-2007, 02:43 PM
that one

thispego
08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
whotwhotwhotwhot, i can;t believe you helped mookie move out, he is an ingrate!

JPB
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I don't remember anyone writing that. I remember people laughing at the idea of this round trip flight somehow affecting him or predisposing him to an injury during the season.

Ever heard about fatigue injuries ? It's been a long season.

The trip sure won't help him recover from his sprain. It's the accumulation of things like that that provokes more serious injuries sometimes.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 02:54 PM
links are goooood

And having a clue before using the "rolleyes" smiley is better.

smrattler
08-09-2007, 03:00 PM

The author wriote: "For those who said travels wouldn't affect him. Here's a part of the article"

Affect him when? This weekend? "I'm a little tired from my trip", I say that every time I take a trip anywhere. I still get lots of rests on vacation and clear my head for when I get back. Still "got away from it all". A couple of days later and for the next years, the only thing I remember is how much fun it was.

This guy just turned 25 yrs old. He's not some burn out or anything. A trip in July or Aug won't affect him in Jan or April. Now if he's coming into camp out of shape, fat, slow, etc. That's a problem. But when has anyone said TP is out of shape coming into camp? How many injuries has he had because of that?

I don't have a problem with what TP does in the offseason or on his off days during the season until it shows it is having an affect on him on the court. If he can go all night at 23, 24 yrs old... enjoy! Get back to me when he's 30, let's see how many boats he's jumping off of, how many midnight runs to L.A. he's taking for a premier and how many European tours of his rap singles he's making. I'm guessing fewer by then.

TMTTRIO
08-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I hope he rests until his ankle is 100% healed before he plays. Other than that I think it's kind of good for him to play. Like Pop said they all are going to play during the summer whether it's a competition or pick up game. Anyways it helps them conditioning wise for the beginning of the season.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I still get lots of rests on vacation and clear my head for when I get back.

The difference with you, after his trip to SA, Parker won't get a lot of rest : he will play BB with French NT.

The fact that Parker has had to make a big trip in the middle of the NT preparation make his summer with French NT more tiring (physically and mentally).
If Parker is tired next season, the fact that has has played with French NT this summer will be pointed as a reason of that.

After that, it's quite easy to understand why Spurs asking Parker to come back in SA isn't a good thing for Parker. The more tiring is summer will be, the bigger impact it will have on his nba season.

You had too to put think in perspective : it's not a big deal. It's more a matter of principle : Spurs have chosen the easier for them instead of choosing the better one for Parker (either trusting French doctor or sending Spurs' doctors in France).

Spurs haven't done all they could have done to minimize Parker's tiredness. By doing that, they have lost the right to whine about French NT if Parker is injured or tired this season.

Not to mention that Parker's ankle would have heal better following rehab in France instead of being in a plane.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I hope he rests until his ankle is 100% healed before he plays.

French staff and Parker have said that they will be really careful about that.
It's not in their interest that Parker plays while he is still injured. If Parker come back too soon and aggravate his injury, he won't likely play again with French NT.

JPB
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
"I'm a little tired from my trip", I say that every time I take a trip anywhere.

yes but you're not a pro baller who already has had a long season, who got married few weeks ago and who has to make another 35 hours return trip in five days in the middle of a preparation while being injured ?

Are you ?

thispego
08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
And having a clue before using the "rolleyes" smiley is better.
it's obvious that this is a sensitive subject for you. i get that. But you need to get over the fact that Parker has an obligation to the Spurs and that getting to play for his national team is a privilege granted to him by the Franchise that PAYS him. Tony Parker doesnt play for the fucking bobcats, he plays for the San Antonio Spurs in the midst of our DYNASTY run. He is exponentially more valuable to us than his contract alone would indicate.

:rolleyes and i'll use these as haphazardly as i please, and when someone trys to make a point with an excerpt of an article that does not substantiate the point in question, i will roll my eyes, every time.

thispego
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
The difference with you, after his trip to SA, Parker won't get a lot of rest : he will play BB with French NT.

The fact that Parker has had to make a big trip in the middle of the NT preparation make his summer with French NT more tiring (physically and mentally).
If Parker is tired next season, the fact that has has played with French NT this summer will be pointed as a reason of that.

After that, it's quite easy to understand why Spurs asking Parker to come back in SA isn't a good thing for Parker. The more tiring is summer will be, the bigger impact it will have on his nba season.

You had too to put think in perspective : it's not a big deal. It's more a matter of principle : Spurs have chosen the easier for them instead of choosing the better one for Parker (either trusting French doctor or sending Spurs' doctors in France).

Spurs haven't done all they could have done to minimize Parker's tiredness. By doing that, they have lost the right to whine about French NT if Parker is injured or tired this season.

Not to mention that Parker's ankle would have heal better following rehab in France instead of being in a plane.
have you ever been on a plane? you know you just sit there, right?

smrattler
yes but you're not a pro baller who already has had a long season, who got married few weeks ago and who has to make another 35 hours return trip in five days in the middle of a preparation while being injured ?

Are you ?

I'm not saying. :fro

wildbill2u
You just have to hope that these superb athletes don't get a career ending injury in some international game or a pickup game or hobby for that matter.

They could get hit by a bus crossing the street, but they accept the risk of their personal decisions.

smrattler
08-09-2007, 03:56 PM

:
:
:

Won't disagree that playing for the French team in the summer adds a toll on the body. Maybe he's better at it being so young still, but it will catch up. And injuries that linger all summer and playing through them and jumping back into camp, that adds a toll even on a young player.

But this is a seperate topic. That note by that author mentioned the trip. Trips in general, traveling in the offseason, who cares?

Like I said, TPs never been one to not come into camp in shape. Ready to go. I have confidence he knows his body and knows when he needs to get his rest in the offseason.

JPB
08-09-2007, 03:57 PM

:guin

Bruno
08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
getting to play for his national team is a privilege granted to him by the Franchise that PAYS him.

That's your POV and I don't share it.

:rolleyes and i'll use these as haphazardly as i please, and when someone trys to make a point with an excerpt of an article that does not substantiate the point in question, i will roll my eyes, every time.

You :rolleyes because you thought Parker tired was an invention of a journalist while it was what Parker has said. You're wrong, plain and simple.

You had too to put think in perspective : it's not a big deal. It's more a matter of principle

thispego
08-09-2007, 04:06 PM
You :rolleyes because you thought Parker tired was an invention of a journalist while it was what Parker has said. You're wrong, plain and simple.
when people post incomplete articles with no links, incorrect conclusions are to be expected

phxspurfan
08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
who started that thing, rolling of the eyes?

was it my bff jill?

Bruno
08-09-2007, 04:15 PM
But this is a seperate topic. That note by that author mentioned the trip. Trips in general, traveling in the offseason, who cares?

Not, it's not a separate topic. It's not the offseason for Parker, it's the season with his NT.

thispego
08-09-2007, 04:16 PM

what's the principle? and you're right.. it's not a big deal

Bruno
08-09-2007, 04:21 PM
when people post incomplete articles with no links, incorrect conclusions are to be expected

It was just an other article than the one I've posted.
I'm sure a link to a French article would have help you a lot...

You was wrong, deal with that. STFU or continue to ridicules yourself.

thispego
08-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Not, it's not a separate topic. It's not the offseason for Parker, it's the season with his NT.
that's where you're wrong

you sure do want him playing alot for someone who is so concerned with preserving Parker's health and energy.

thispego
08-09-2007, 05:10 PM

It was just an other article than the one I've posted.
I'm sure a link to a French article would have help you a lot...

You was wrong, deal with that. STFU or continue to ridicules yourself.
:dramaquee where in the original post does it say that parker said he was tired?
listen. you can act as butt hurt as you want about all of this but you are coming across as very ignorant. Are your ethnocentric ideals bruised? Do you think that the Spurs think that your french doctors aren't good enough? Get over yourself, immediately.

ShoogarBear
08-09-2007, 05:11 PM

Not to mention that Parker's ankle would have heal better following rehab in France instead of being in a plane.Ummmm, you already noted he's still going to be resting after the injury. Don't you think he'll be rested from the plane ride before he steps on the court again? I don't get why you're making such a big deal out of this.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
that's where you're wrong

you sure do want him playing alot for someone who is so concerned with preserving Parker's health and energy.

I want nothing. Parker has played 103 nba games this year, I wouldn't have said a word if he had decided not to play with his NT this summer.

The reason why Parker plays with his NT this summer is because he wants it.

thispego
08-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I want nothing. Parker has played 103 nba games this year, I wouldn't have said a word if he had decided not to play with his NT this summer.

The reason why Parker plays with his NT this summer is because he wants it.
right, because you respect parker's decision.... the Spurs don't get that same respect from you?

Bruno
08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
:dramaquee where in the original post does it say that parker said he was tired?

Do you realize that with your post you're assuming that Parker being tired is a made up thing by the journalist.

Are your ethnocentric ideals bruised?
Do you think that the Spurs think that your french doctors aren't good enough? Get over yourself, immediately.

You're way off. I don't see at all this story as a France/USA thing.
And Spurs medical staff don't trust at all NT medical staffs.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 05:42 PM
right, because you respect parker's decision.... the Spurs don't get that same respect from you?

I don't like every single decision made by Parker as I don't like every single decision made by Spurs.

The fact that for this specific thing, I have no problem with Parker's choice but I don't like Spurs' choice, doesn't mean that I respect less Spurs than Parker.

timvp
08-09-2007, 05:46 PM
1) I agree with Bruno that the Spurs should have just sent a trainer over to France to deal with Parker's injury. Doing it the way the Spurs did it was just the cheap way out.

2) It's kinda amusing that Bruno uses the "Spurs are the professionals, whatever they do can't be questioned, it doesn't matter what timvp thinks, the Spurs are always right" approach to everything regarding the Spurs ... except when it comes to Tony Parker on planes.

3) I thought this was a very minor injury? Parker is talking about stiffness in his ankle. According to the French doctors, he was going to be 100% healthy by now. Either French doctors are hard asses who want players to suck it up and play through injuries or the French team needs to find some doctors who have a clue. A "very mild" sprain wouldn't be stiff a week or two weeks later, however long it has been.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Ummmm, you already noted he's still going to be resting after the injury. Don't you think he'll be rested from the plane ride before he steps on the court again? I don't get why you're making such a big deal out of this.

I don't make a big deal of this.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 05:57 PM
3) I thought this was a very minor injury? Parker is talking about stiffness in his ankle. According to the French doctors, he was going to be 100% healthy by now. Either French doctors are hard asses who want players to suck it up and play through injuries or the French team needs to find some doctors who have a clue. A "very mild" sprain wouldn't be stiff a week or two weeks later, however long it has been.

What I've read about that is that Parker ankle wasn't really sprained because his ligaments are very elastic.
However, he had a pocket of blood in his foot (I don't know really how to translate that) and it could take time before the blood goes away (up to slightly more than one week).
Parker's stiffness is maybe because the pocket isn't fully empty. The fact that he hasn't received treatment each day because of flights has likely slow a little the recovery.

timvp
08-09-2007, 06:02 PM
What I've read about that is that Parker ankle wasn't really sprained because his ligaments are very elastic.
However, he had a pocket of blood in his foot (I don't know really how to translate that) and it could take time before the blood goes away (up to slightly more than one week).
Parker's stiffness is maybe because the pocket isn't fully empty. The fact that he hasn't received treatment each day because of flights has likely slow a little the recovery.

Two questions:

1) How long ago was the injury?

2) Didn't the French doctors claim that'd he'd be 100% for the Streuselheim tournament that starts tomorrow?

thispego
08-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Do you realize that with your post you're assuming that Parker being tired is a made up thing by the journalist..

the journalist said Parker was tired, the journalist did not quote parker saying "yes, i am tired from the flight". Thia is the only part of the article that was supplied to us. this part of the article DOES NOT indicate that PARKER said he was tired. In JPB's quote of the article, the JOURNALIST says Parker is tired... do you REALIZE THAT???

You're way off. I don't see at all this story as a France/USA thing.
And Spurs medical staff don't trust at all NT medical staffs.

It's not a matter of trust. take this as an example.... you dont mind paying someone to wash your car or mow your lawn but if you want it done RIGHT (the way you want it done) then do it yourself. That's how I see it.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Two questions:

1) How long ago was the injury?

2) Didn't the French doctors claim that'd he'd be 100% for the Streuselheim tournament that starts tomorrow?

1) he injured his ankle on July 27th.

2) French doctors have said on July 28th that Parker was out for the 29th July and 4th August games. They have said that he should be back for the 10th but it wasn't a sure thing, it depends on how quickly the blood goes away.

I don't get what is your point : even the best doctor isn't able to say : "you will be back this day". Recovery length isn't rocket science but one thing is sure : if Parker wasn't at 100%, he wouldn't have played.

Bruno
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
the journalist said Parker was tired, the journalist did not quote parker saying "yes, i am tired from the flight". Thia is the only part of the article that was supplied to us. this part of the article DOES NOT indicate that PARKER said he was tired. In JPB's quote of the article, the JOURNALIST says Parker is tired... do you REALIZE THAT???

And because the journalist said it and not Parker, you say that it's wrong ?

It's not a matter of trust. take this as an example.... you dont mind paying someone to wash your car or mow your lawn but if you want it done RIGHT (the way you want it done) then do it yourself. That's how I see it.

I don't say Spurs medical staff thinks that NT medical staff are really bad, they just don't trust them. Spurs wanted to be sure that Parker injury wasn't serious and the fact that French NT medical staff says it wasn't enough for Spurs.
It's more : you don't want to let someone else wash your car because you aren't sure that he won't scratch it. As a result, you wash it yourself.

T Park
08-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Im glad to see Parker has seen the light and understands it from acommon sense point of view.

thispego
08-09-2007, 06:38 PM

I don't say Spurs medical staff thinks that NT medical staff are really bad, they just don't trust them. Spurs wanted to be sure that Parker injury wasn't serious and the fact that French NT medical staff says it wasn't enough for Spurs.
It's more : you don't want to let someone else wash your car because you aren't sure that he won't scratch it. As a result, you wash it yourself.
I was thinking more like, you'd rather wash your car yourself because if you let someone else they might not clean all the little nooks and crannies, they might leave streaks, they might not vacuum under the seat, etc, etc... I dont blame the spurs for wanting to look at parker themselves. and from your most recent description of the injury, it appears worse than originally thought by the NT.

thispego
08-09-2007, 06:42 PM
no. JPB was using the quote as proof that parker was tired after traveling. The journalists' opening line was cliche of what you would say about someone returning from a trip. It means nothing. I was expecting a quote from Parker saying he was fatigued from all the travel, I didn't see it, so I rolled my eyes. :p:

Bruno
08-09-2007, 06:57 PM
from your most recent description of the injury, it appears worse than originally thought by the NT.

My description of the injury was the one made the next day of the injury by the medical staff.
From what I've read, Spurs haven't had a different diagnostic than French NT medical staff. When they looked at him (last Thursday/Friday), they have said that the injury was almost over.

It seems than the last step of the recovery is just a little longer than expected. I don't think that the injury was more serious than originally thought.

thispego
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM
good, hopefully this is the last of injury issues with Parker

whottt
08-09-2007, 07:16 PM
whotwhotwhotwhot, i can;t believe you helped mookie move out, he is an ingrate!

You know what they say about a friend in need ;)

thispego
08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
that term came into existence because of mookie

ShoogarBear
08-09-2007, 07:26 PM
1) I agree with Bruno that the Spurs should have just sent a trainer over to France to deal with Parker's injury. Doing it the way the Spurs did it was just the cheap way out.Except the Spurs didn't have him examined by a trainer, they had him examined by a physician. Sending a trainer via coach to Paris would have doubtless been cheaper than what they did. Sending a physician who has patients already booked to examine a sprain would have been megabucks. And then if they had diagnosed something more serious, they would have to fly him back to SA anyway.

3) I thought this was a very minor injury? Parker is talking about stiffness in his ankle. According to the French doctors, he was going to be 100% healthy by now. Either French doctors are hard asses who want players to suck it up and play through injuries or the French team needs to find some doctors who have a clue. A "very mild" sprain wouldn't be stiff a week or two weeks later, however long it has been.It's supposedly a grade 2 sprain. Or maybe TP and the US doctors are just pussies.

timvp
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Except the Spurs didn't have him examined by a trainer, they had him examined by a physician.As far as I know, he never saw a doctor while in San Antonio. The trainers confirmed that the injury was consistent with what the MRI and x-rays showed so there was no trip to the ol' team doctor.

Sending a trainer via coach to Paris would have doubtless been cheaper than what they did.A trainer flying to Paris, even on coach, would have been more expensive than Parker flying back on his own dime.

It's supposedly a grade 2 sprain. Or maybe TP and the US doctors are just pussies.In France, if children get sick, they are instructed to cough into a pillow and STFU.

:stirpot:

thispego
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
wait wait wait wait.. Parker paid for the trip?

BeerIsGood!
08-10-2007, 10:01 AM
:shootme :dramaquee :rolleyes

boutons_
08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
"Parker paid for the trip?"

sure, he was on personal business in France, not Spurs business. His expense to get back to the Spurs.

He may be able to write it off as a business expense.

ShoogarBear
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
wait wait wait wait.. Parker paid for the trip?He sure did.

http://www.desperateblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/eva-longoria-tony-parker-wedding-pictures-ok-03-small.jpg

ShoogarBear
08-10-2007, 04:02 PM
As far as I know, he never saw a doctor while in San Antonio. The trainers confirmed that the injury was consistent with what the MRI and x-rays showed so there was no trip to the ol' team doctor.
Hmm, that's interesting. Unless he brought back the films with him, I would have at least expected that they would have repeated the studies and had them reviewed.

romain.star
08-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Wonderfull game between Bruno and Thispego... and the winner is..... well it's a tie

thispego
08-10-2007, 05:58 PM
"Parker paid for the trip?"

sure, he was on personal business in France, not Spurs business. His expense to get back to the Spurs.

He may be able to write it off as a business expense.
LOL! well.... the point still remains... parker paying for the flight hurt his pocketbook about as much as travelling hurt his overall health

thispego
08-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Wonderfull game between Bruno and Thispego... and the winner is..... well it's a tie
sweet. i strive for mediocrity.