Lanier
Ewing
Walton

Mcadoo, Dikembe, Reed, and Zo honorable mention

Solid D
08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
To ride the momentum of the PG thread...list your top 10

1. Rasho Nesterovic (there, I said it) :lol

Yeah, remember when Rasho ducked just in time so as not to get in the photograph of Amare's Hammertime Poster Dunk? That was cool.

dirk4Mvp_
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
dirk!!!!!!!!

MrChug
08-09-2007, 02:11 PM
1. Bill "I don't sign autographs" Russell (T-1st, Rasho Nesterovic)
2. Wilt "Mr. 20,000" Chamberlain
3. Lou Kareem Abdul-Alcindor-Jabbar
4. Moses Malone
5. Hakeem Olajuwon
6. Shaquille O'neal
7. David Robinson
8. Artis Gilmore
9. Bob McAdoo
10. Patrick Ewing

Solid D
08-09-2007, 02:13 PM
What? No Mikan. No Thurmond?

jacobdrj
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
First, are we including Duncan in the discussion or not?

After that, this one is easier to disect than the PG one... Not every center could nessacarily play the position at any given era.

There are your standard picks.

Olijuwon
Russell
Jabbar
Wilt
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing

Even Reed and the Bullets' dude gets some nods

Usualy it boils down to:
Wilt
Russel
Shaq
Olijuwon
Jabbar

And further, it always seems to come down to Wilt and whomever is the personal preference.

Findog
08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Gonna just scroll past the responses so far to avoid any being unduly influenced. In no particular order:

Wilt
Russell
Shaq
Kareem
Hakeem
Moses
Mikan
Robinson

Beyond that, everybody else is in the next tier. Walton would make it if he had managed to stay healthy. At his height he was top-10 talent and results.

JMarkJohns
08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
1. Wilt Chamberlain
2. Bill Russell
3. Kareem Abdul-jabbar
4. Shaquille O'Neal
5. Moses Malone
6. Hakeem Olajuwan
7. Nate Thurmond
8. David Robinson
9. George Mikan
10. Bob McAdoo

Just missing: Willis Reed, Patrick Ewing, Artis Gilmore, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning round out my top-15.

I think any of those who just missed are probably better players than Mikan, but I don't like to discount a player just because of the era he played in.

Also, I think Shaquille O'Neal and Moses Malone had better, more dominant careers than did Hakeem, but I would most definately take Olajuwan's 1990-to-1997 years over the O'Neal's and Malone's best years.

Nate Thurmond was just a beast. Definately deserves a top-10. Robinson gets slid a bit down, but I think very highly of him. Easily a top-10. It was a toss up twixt McAdoo, Reed and Ewing, and I went with McAdoo, but it's really too close to call.

I threw in Mourning, because, had he not had the kidney ailment take away three or four of his prime years, he'd most definately be scraping the top-12. I'd probably have had him higher than Ewing, had he been able to stay healthy.

MrChug
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM

Mikan Jordan?

Strom Thurmond? He played basketball? He was kinda short...but if he played center more power to him. He still didn't make my top 10.

No, I know that Mikan changed the game and was the first dominant big player, paving the way for other great bigs but meh...I'm just offering the opinion since I've seen most of these guys play (yes, some on tape).

Nate Thurmond was pretty good, but I think was playing in the shadows of the Wilts and Kareems of the world.

MrChug
08-09-2007, 02:47 PM
...but DAMN I have to admit I was a Wes Unseld fan.

tlongII
08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Greg Oden

MrChug
08-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Greg Oden

I'll start this thread again in 15 years...you might be right. :toast

SRJ
08-09-2007, 06:06 PM
01 Wilt Chamberlain
02 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
03 Hakeem Olajuwon
04 Shaquille O'Neal
05 David Robinson
06 Moses Malone
07 Bill Russell
08 George Mikan
09 Patrick Ewing
10 Artis Gilmore

And why are you all calling McAdoo a C? AFAICR, McAdoo was a PF, a little like KG.

bdictjames
08-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I'd put Shaq atop Hakeem.

And Kareem would be my first.

Solid D
08-09-2007, 06:39 PM
McAdoo played Center and Forward. At first, he was playing the F because he was thin and didn't defend very well. He was probably the most gifted shooter the league had seen up to that point for a Big. Dirk Nowitzki is a good comparison today but Mac was ahead of his time. A Big who could take his man out on the floor and score or drive and score.

He was messed around with in NY, Boston and NJ was finally picked up cheap (like Luis Scola :) ) by the Lakers for cash and a 2nd round draft pick. He won 2 rings and came close for 2 more rings. I remember he played more of a 4 and Mychal Thompson played the 5 when Kareem was out...but he def. played C in Buffalo and he backed up Cowens in Boston.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I only need 3 - David, Hakeem and Kareem. Never saw the older guys play, and there hasn't been anyone approaching those guys over the last 20 years, except Shaq, who I never enjoyed watching, so screw him. :lol

MrChug
08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
01 Wilt Chamberlain
02 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
03 Hakeem Olajuwon
04 Shaquille O'Neal
05 David Robinson
06 Moses Malone
07 Bill Russell
08 George Mikan
09 Patrick Ewing
10 Artis Gilmore

And why are you all calling McAdoo a C? AFAICR, McAdoo was a PF, a little like KG.

David and Shaq>>>>>>>>>Bill Russell :lol

polandprzem
08-09-2007, 07:38 PM

Thurmond is not top 10
but Mikan is though

and btw

wtf McAdoo? He was not a real center

SRJ
08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Bill Russell=scoring when you need scoring :lol

Russell was basically Dennis Rodman without the BS but with a HOF roster. The guys that I ranked ahead of him are ranked that way because they were needed on both ends. If you needed Russ to score, well, good luck with that.

And don't try to come back with "Russell's defense was so good it made up for his lack of offense." Remember, Olajuwon and Robinson were incredible defenders, two of the best of all time. Do you really think Russell was WAY better than either of them?

Unless you've got some amazing evidence to support that (and let's remember, titles are won by teams, not players), it's not going to work.

JMarkJohns
08-09-2007, 07:56 PM
In these ratings, we need to decide whether or not players who happen to play a position are defined by that position, or, since they aren't necessarily defined by the position, if they should be included.

Since this was the bastard child of the PG thread, with it being openly debated in it that players like Robertson and Maravich are in fact PGs because they led the offense, that since certain players manned the pivot, that they'd be considered in my list.

BTW, I've read plenty of lists, and I've looked at the stats and as far as centers go, Thurmond is among the most impressive stastically of his era. His years with the Warriors are unbelievable. He had four seasons where he averaged more than 20 ppg and 15 rpg. He had two seasons where he averaged over 20 ppg, and 20 rpg. He was voted one of the 50 greatest players in 1998, was a seven-time All-Star and was named to an All-NBA Defensive team five times during his prime.

I would most definately have him on the list.

If McAdoo is regarded as a PF, then he's off, but if he's got any center status, which since he played the positions at times, I guess he should, then he's most certainly a top-10 center as well, even if he was more of a finesse center than traditional low-post pivot.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-09-2007, 08:26 PM

Going old skool. :hat

Solid, brutha, please don't tell me that you and John Wooden used to hang out in high school.

ShoogarBear
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Russell is always an interesting discussion. While he was certainly physically dominant in his way during his time, I just can't see how he would come close to having the same impact in today's game (whereas I'm pretty sure Wilt would easily be a top-2 center).

However, Russell completely changed the idea of what a dominant center was. He was the first guy who showed you can win the game by defense (and in the Celtics' case, defense = Russell rebounds = Russell outlets = fast breaks). While he wasn't a great scorer, he was still valuable on offense (he averaged over 4 assists a game).

Probably the closest overall player to him was Bill Walton on the 76-77 Blazers, but every good/great defensive center since the 1960s got that way using principles that Russell developed. From what I can tell DRob was probably the guy most like him on defense (which arguably makes DRob the second-best defensive center of all time).

Not only that, but the only other player who maybe had a comparable competitive fire was Jordan. Russell's combined record in college and pros speaks for itself: 13 championships in 15 years. Plus an Olympic title (when only college guys went).

I don't think there's been a center since who has changed the entire concept of how the position is supposed to be played. So, even though I don't think physically Russell could dominate today, there's no way I can rank him below #2.

SRJ
08-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't think there's been a center since who has changed the entire concept of how the position is supposed to be played. So, even though I don't think physically Russell could dominate today, there's no way I can rank him below #2.

That is the best argument of Russell's legacy: He was the first big man (although smallish by modern standards at 6'9") who could really move like a much smaller player. When you have the athleticism of a Russell or a Chamberlain, you make a terrific impact by being able to play both sides of the lane with quick reactions, long arms, and great leaping ability. This is old news today, but for generations of players who previously played against George Mikan, Charlie Share, and Neil Johnston (just to name a few pre-Russell slow, lumbering big men), it was hard to deal with this new kind of defensive presence.

This is why I'm skeptical of some of the old stars. In fact, think of it this way: let's say that you're eighteen years old and a good basketball player. If you get into a pickup game with a bunch of guys at your age and skill level, you'll probably find it hard to really dominate. Now, leave that game and go play against a bunch of fifteen year-olds. Chances are, you'll probably play better than you did against your peers. Leave that game to go play against twelve year olds, and now you're probably playing like a great player.

I happen to think Russell and Chamberlain were eighteen year olds playing mostly against fifteen year olds, to carry the analogy further forward. Baylor, West, and Oscar were also at or near their level but weren't centers. In today's game, the gap between the best athletes and the worst isn't terribly wide. Back in the sixties, it was way bigger.

So I try to evaluate these players in terms of how they would perform today. To me, Russell is Dennis Rodman without the crap, while Chamberlain is kind of a Shaq+DRob hybrid. Both would excel, but Chamberlain would dominate to a greater extent.

Unfortunately, Chamberlain was overmatched against the HOF teams Boston ran out there under Red Auerbach. One man, even one as great as Chamberlain, can't beat an entire wing of the Hall of Fame.

MavericksDynasty
08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
1) James Donaldson
2) Erick Dampier
3) Shawn Bradley
4) DeSagana Diop
5) Greg Dreiling
6) Chris Gatling
7) Lorenzo Williams
8) Popeye Jones at the 5
9) Uwe Blab
10) Sam Perkins at the 5

mardigan
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
1) James Donaldson
2) Erick Dampier
3) Shawn Bradley
4) DeSagana Diop
5) Greg Dreiling
6) Chris Gatling
7) Lorenzo Williams
8) Popeye Jones at the 5
9) Uwe Blab
10) Sam Perkins at the 5
I would have thought Bradley would have been number 1

SRJ
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Roy Tarpley at the five. And count Donaldson twice, he was that bad-ass.

ShoogarBear
08-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Roy Tarpley off the powder would have been a Hall of Famer.

RC's Boss
08-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I'll start this thread again in 15 years...you might be right. :toast
Get ready to be disappointed

RC's Boss
08-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Hakeem in his prime, would lay waste to any center EVER on both ends of the floor imo. But his prime fell off so dramatically in the late 90's so I'll go w/ Kareem as #1

polandprzem
08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
woulda coulda :blah

This game is the most about wins - Russell did that.
How come Cousy, Sharman and McCaulley were not having any success even led by a coach named Auerbach? huh?
Then one day - Russell came to leauge and the Celtics were dominating.
I just feel something is taking away from Bill.

MavericksDynasty
08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Roy Tarpley off the powder would have been a Hall of Famer.

don't remind me.

RC's Boss
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
don't remind me.
:lol

toosmallshoes
08-10-2007, 03:39 AM
1. Lisa Leslie
2. Ed "Too Tall" Jones
3. Wilt the Stilt ChamberRussel
4. Some Other Dudes
5. Shaq
6. Charles Barkley
7. Kurt Rambis
8. Spudd Webb
9. Whoopie Goldberg
10. Rasho

Nahtanoj
08-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Hakeem Olajuwon.

Doctor J
08-10-2007, 12:56 PM
(1) Wilt Chamberlain
(2) Bill Russell
(3) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

I think these big 3s are immovable objects.

Then,

(4) Shaquille O'Neal
(5) Hakeem Olajuwon
(6) Moses Malone
(7) Bill Walton
(8) David Robinson
(9) Patrick Ewing
(10) Nate Thurmond

bigfish22
08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
To ride the momentum of the PG thread...list your top 10

1. Rasho Nesterovic (there, I said it) :lol

If this is what you're gonna put, then change the subject head to:

"BEST CENTERS NAMED RASHO, EVER?"

ambchang
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Once again, Shaq has been absolutely overrated.
He had one, count them, ONE dominant season in 00-01, and a bunch of very good seasons. Yes he scored a lot of points, and he was an incredible passer, but his rebounding was always disappointing for a player his size, he took games off, and has destroyed at least one team (Magic), arguably two (Lakers), and is on track to destroy the future of a 3rd one (Heat). Comparing him to Wilt is a joke. Has he scored 100 pts a game? 55 rebounds? Led the league in rebounds? Led the league in scoring 7 straight seasons? Led the league in rebounding 11 times (playing in the same era as the second most dominant rebounder of all time to boot)? Shaq, for all his unguardability, led the league in PPG twice, led the league in rebounds ZERO times, led the league in blocked shots ZERO times. Could he have dominated the league like Wilt if he wanted to? Sure he could, but he was lazy.

barbacoataco
08-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Bill Russell was 6' 9" without shoes, and back then they listed the true height. Most NBA players today add 2 or 3 inches at least to their height. He would be listed as 6' 11" if he played today. That is not small at all.

ShoogarBear
08-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Once again, Shaq has been absolutely overrated.
He had one, count them, ONE dominant season in 00-01, and a bunch of very good seasons. Yes he scored a lot of points, and he was an incredible passer, but his rebounding was always disappointing for a player his size, he took games off, and has destroyed at least one team (Magic), arguably two (Lakers), and is on track to destroy the future of a 3rd one (Heat). Comparing him to Wilt is a joke. Has he scored 100 pts a game? 55 rebounds? Led the league in rebounds? Led the league in scoring 7 straight seasons? Led the league in rebounding 11 times (playing in the same era as the second most dominant rebounder of all time to boot)? Shaq, for all his unguardability, led the league in PPG twice, led the league in rebounds ZERO times, led the league in blocked shots ZERO times. Could he have dominated the league like Wilt if he wanted to? Sure he could, but he was lazy.I think the biggest argument against Shaq is that he took too many games off, for reasons of his own fault.

Number of seasons: 14 (13 82-game seasons)
Number of seasons with more than 70 games: 6
Number of full seasons with 60 or fewer games: 4

barbacoataco
08-10-2007, 03:55 PM
1. Kareem
2. Hakeem
3. Russell
4. wilt
5. Shaq
6. Moses Malone
7. D-Rob
8. Bill Walton
9. Artis Gilmore
10. Thurmond (or some other oldie)

Kareem was consistent over many years, on offense and defense. He had an unstoppable shot in the sky hook. he was a winner, and a team player.

wildbill2u
08-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Consider this about Shaq before you rank him very high:

In his first SIX years, he never made the All NBA First team. Three years he was on the 2nd team and two years he was on the 3rd team. He only made the NBA defensive team three years.

Sure he scored a lot, but the League and the refs were responsible for a lot of that. He happened along when they needed a new star so they let him bowl over opponents on the way to the basket without calling fouls that could have sent him to the bench in almost every game. Not to mention his skillful 'move' to use his massive left arm to push off his defender while going up for a dunk. He really didn't have a lot of legal offensive skills--just the OK from the league to do whatever he liked.

mardigan
08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
People putting Moses Malone ahead a D-Rob are crazy.
The only edge Moses has on Dave is rebounding and longevity, thats it
And to the poster who put Walton ahead of him :lol

JMarkJohns
08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
People putting Moses Malone ahead a D-Rob are crazy.
The only edge Moses has on Dave is rebounding and longevity, thats it
And to the poster who put Walton ahead of him :lol

That's not true. Malone won three MVPs. Malone's career is an amazing one, and the rebounding and longevity that you take so lightly, are just two aspects why he's better than Robinson.

Basketballreference.com's HOF monitor has Malone's career coming in at 449, while Robinson came in at 289.

Rebounding, Longevity and MVPs make a HUGE difference.

Consider this about Shaq before you rank him very high:

In his first SIX years, he never made the All NBA First team. Three years he was on the 2nd team and two years he was on the 3rd team. He only made the NBA defensive team three years.

I'm not going to fault Shaq for playing center during a period of time where All-Time great centers like Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson and Patrick Ewing were already established and dominating.

Shaq maybe only had one "dominating" season, a statement that's debateable, but his impact on offense was far greater than any center beyond Hakeem's prime since Kareem or Malone in their primes.

And by the way, Shaq made All-NBA 2nd or 3rd team from 93-94 until his first All-NBA 1st team in 97-98, his sixth season in the League. So he didn't make an All-NBA 1st team for the first five seasons, not six.

So, despite being young and not nearly as established as centers like Olajuwon, Robinson or Ewing, from his second year on, he still managed to knock one of them out of the All-NBA teams.

barbacoataco
08-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Agree with the last post. David Robinson is my favorite player, and Shaq one of my least. But there's no point in making lists like this unless you're going to be objective. To me it always seemed like Shaq was just pushing the defender out of the way with his body or arm, but then again he played on the team that was playing against MY team, so it is hard to be objective. But the fact is he was allowed to play the way he did, and he was one of the 3-4 most dominating players I've seen in my 25+ years of watching basketball.

Moses Malone is perhaps the most underrated player ever in the NBA. His credentials compare to even the GOAT candidates like Jordan, Magic, Wilt, Russell.

lotr1trekkie
08-11-2007, 09:48 AM
What about Walton? Don't like red-headed hippies? Until he got injured he was as totally a complete center that ever lived. Offense, defense, passing , team play. When Portland won in 1977 he averaged 19 rebounds a game vs the 76's that were supposed to be invincible. Last game 14 pts, 24 bounds, like 6 assists, a like 7 blocks. Greatness isn't always about longevity. Sandy Koufax was tht greatest pitcher I ever saw. Unhittable most games. Longevity cut short by injury like Mantle and Walton. Actually Tim Duncan is a latter day Walton.

wildchild
08-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Shaq, Hakeem, Malone, D-Rob, Erwing.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Ben Wallace :lol

remingtonbo2001
08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I would place D-ROB before Shaq, after Hakeem. If D-ROB was paired with someone as talented as Kobe during his prime, I think it's a safe bet that Spurs would have had a championship or two before 99'. I'm not knocking Sean, but I remember watching David put 71 up. Then 10 years later, I saw Kobe go for 81. (Right?) That's a combined 152 points. Beat that PHOENIX.