K.C. Jones 138
Rick Adelman 138
Chuck Daly 126
Dick Motta 126
Bill Fitch 109
Billy Cunningham 105
Red Holzman 105

http://www.nba.com/history/records/playoff_victories_coaches.html

He's already cemented his name as one of the top 4 NBA coaches of all-time. A couple more deep playoff runs, another title or two and I think he's in the top three. Red Auerbach, Pat Riley and Phil Jackson are probably the only three you can argue have had more success in the playoffs, and I think Pop can surpass Riley's achievements.

I'm so glad to have witnessed this era of Spurs basketball. I remember the feeling I had after that '99 title. I wasn't sure I'd ever see my Spurs win a title. I'm definitely going to enjoy this ride while it lasts! :hat

rob5
08-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Lucky Bastard.

E20
08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Pop is a mother f'ing pimp. He's calm, cool, soothing voice to listen to, doesn't give a shit, and does his job better mostly than anybody else.

SpursWoman
08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/k289.jpg

You were waiting for that, I know. :fro

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Lucky Bastard.

Maybe. You could argue all these coaches were the beneficiary of having great talent on their teams, OR you could counter that they maximized the talent they had at their disposal.

I think to win consistently in the post season you have to be a pretty darn good coach. Pop has kept this team at the top for 9 years now, which in professional sports these days is pretty much unheard of.

T Park
08-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I know of one poster who still thinks Pop is overrated.

ggoose25
08-09-2007, 08:18 PM
http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/k289.jpg

You were waiting for that, I know. :fro

:lol, yeah i was

Holt's Cat
08-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Lucky Bastard.

What does that make Phil Jackson?

Switchman
08-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I hate phil jackson.

rob5
08-10-2007, 09:36 AM
What does that make Phil Jackson?
another lucky bastard...it's players who win Championships. Where was Pop before Duncan, Riley before Magic and Philis before Jordan ?

boutons_
08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Pop and Tim are both fortunate to be together.

Tim brought hs talent and personal qualities, and Pop built the organization and teams around him.

Either alone would not have accomplished as much.

FromWayDowntown
08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Synagouge of Pop forum.

The Truth #6
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Regarding that list - Byron Scott is the lucky bastard. He's mediocre. In fact, kind of an idiot. His coaching insight during the 2003 Finals was about on par with Mike D'Antoni - lots of hand clapping and looking at guys as they look back at him with weary expressions. Their Hall of Fame point guards carried their azzes.

ambchang
08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
another lucky bastard...it's players who win Championships. Where was Pop before Duncan, Riley before Magic and Philis before Jordan ?
Where was Jordan before Phil Jackson? Where was David Robinson before Pop? Good coaches make a world of difference.
Good talent + bad coaching = failure
Good coaching + bad talent = failure (although much cheaper failure)
Good coaching + good talent = contender.

Pop is a good coach, but if he could reinvent himself and find success on a team without Duncan (even though the 07 Spurs are so different from the 99 Spurs), he would cement his status as a top 3 coach of all time ... not that he really cares.

rob5
08-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Where was Jordan before Phil Jackson? Where was David Robinson before Pop? Good coaches make a world of difference.
Good talent + bad coaching = failure
Good coaching + bad talent = failure (although much cheaper failure)
Good coaching + good talent = contender.

Pop is a good coach, but if he could reinvent himself and find success on a team without Duncan (even though the 07 Spurs are so different from the 99 Spurs), he would cement his status as a top 3 coach of all time ... not that he really cares.
Where was Jordan before before Phil? NCAA Champion
Where was Robinson before Pop? NCAA player of the year and #1 draft pick.

Now answer my original question. What did these coaches win without these players?

Agloco
08-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Where was Jordan before Phil Jackson? Where was David Robinson before Pop?

Jordan was one year removed from contending at finals level regardless of who took over. Phil Jackson inherited a team with a great player which was already about to get over the hump. You could liken that to the lucky bastard who gets to coach the Celtics this year........

David Robinson was one year removed from getting Tim Duncan as a teammate. I'm quite certain that if Timmmy isn't in a Spurs uniform that we aren't celebrating any championships down here.

ambchang
08-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Where was Jordan before before Phil? NCAA Champion
Where was Robinson before Pop? NCAA player of the year and #1 draft pick.

Now answer my original question. What did these coaches win without these players?
Phil Jackson led the Albany Patroons to the CBA title, that's how he got his stripes. Jordan wasn't even option #1 when NC won the NCAA Champion, Worthy was #1 and Perkins was #2, Jordan was the #3 option on that team. Not to mention being perennial 1st and 2nd round loser in the NBA. Doug Collins' last year, the Bulls were 47-35, and lost in the 2nd round, Jackson's 1st season, the Bulls were 55-27, but lst in the 2nd round. The second season, the Bulls were 61-21 and won the title.
And NCAA player of the year and #1 draft pick? So what? Aren't we talking about team accomplishments and what a coach can influence the success of the team? Player of the year and #1 pick are both individual accomplishments. What does that have to do with Pop? Not to mention Pop was the top assistant of two of the best coaches in the history of the league, Larry Brown and Don Nelson. I am sure Pop was just lucky to somehow land a job like that instead of work his way up the ladder due to his ability to coach.

ambchang
08-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Jordan was one year removed from contending at finals level regardless of who took over. Phil Jackson inherited a team with a great player which was already about to get over the hump. You could liken that to the lucky bastard who gets to coach the Celtics this year........

David Robinson was one year removed from getting Tim Duncan as a teammate. I'm quite certain that if Timmmy isn't in a Spurs uniform that we aren't celebrating any championships down here.
See previous post for the progress of the Bulls under Jackson. No, players do not just suddenly get it and start winning, and a disciplined structure that maximizes players' strength and minimizes their weaknesses contributes to the success.
Jackson, as much as I dislike him, saw the strengths of Pippen, Grant, shooting PG, defensive Cs and Jordan, and molded it into a defense that was almost impossible to crack, and an offense that was hard to stop.
Pop, seeing that his team has two dominant defensive centers, built a defense that funnels drivers to the baseline rather than the middle, which is contrary to what fundamental basketball teaches. His defensive rotations are works of genius, and I am appalled that it wasn't appreciated as such.
Talent does not translate into championships. The Kings never won anything despite their talent at every single position, neither can the Mavs (yet), and a lot lies in the coaching philosophy.
Pop was criticized, and rightfully so, for his offensive work earlier on, but has since improved greatly to provide the Spurs with strong defensive foundation backed up by decent offensive firepower.
Parker didn't grow from a 19 year old raw PG to one of the best PG in the game today because he just happen to get it. Pop chewed his head off, improved his decision making ability and forced him to develop an outside game. At the same time, he dealt with Ginobili very differently and allowed him to freelance and make risky plays because he recognized that him playing recklessly is much better for the team than a toned down Manu. The Spurs were able to morph from a team that plays 4 down every damned time to a team that is quite versatile on offense.

peskypesky
08-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm still PISSED at Pop for the small-ball fiasco of 2006...and at times he still seriously pisses me off for his stubborness and pigheaded-ness. But after all is said and done, he HAS been the right man for the job. He's managed to take this team to 4 titles (and counting)...so I'll eat crow and admit I was wrong. Pop's "I don't give a sh-t" attitude is totally p-i-m-p.

spurscenter
08-11-2007, 01:17 AM
POP ROCKS NEEDS TO COME w POPs IMAGE, i was too waiting for the pop rocks photo

now I can sleep

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Coach Pop's Ten Commandments of Winning:

1) I am the War Lord and the wrathful God of Combat and I will always lead you from the front, not the rear.

2) I will treat you all alike - just like shit.

3) Thou shalt do nothing I will not do first, and thus will you be created Warriors in My deadly image.

4) I shall punish thy bodies because the more thou sweatest in training, the less thou bleedest in combat.

5) Indeed, if thou hurteth in thy efforts and thou suffer painful dings, thou art doing it right.

6) Thou hast not to like it, thou hast just to do it.

7) Thou shalt Keep It Simple, Stupid.

8) Thou shalt never assume.

9) Verily, thou art not paid for thy methods, but for thy results, by which meaneth thou shalt kill thine enemy by any means available before he killeth you.

10) Thou shalt, in thy Warrior's Mind and Soul, always remember My ultimate and final Commandment: There Are No Rules - Thou Shalt Win at All Cost.

Courtesy Richard Marcinko, founder Seal Team 6