08-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Free agent G Pietrus would like to play for Heat
Related:
NBA Betting Articles
NBA Picks
NBA Forum
08/07/2007 -

By Steve Douglas Special to PA SportsTicker

PARIS (Ticker) -- Restricted free agent Mickael Pietrus revealed Tuesday that he would love the chance to sign with the Miami Heat as rumors of a possible sign-and-trade continue to swirl around the Golden State Warriors swingman.

Pietrus is in his native France this week for the NBA's "Basketball Without Borders" event. He admitted he still does not know where his destination might be when he returns to the United States, with several teams said to be interested in his services.

At the top of the list appear to be the Heat, who are said to be considering a number of potential deals that would allow them to get Pietrus without going over the salary cap.

"The Miami Heat is a great team," Pietrus told PA SportsTicker. "I would love to play with Dwyane Wade and Shaq, and I think they have a lot of talent. I really think I could help them, in offense and defense. I think they would appreciate my work."

The Warriors have reportedly made a $3.5 million, one-year qualifying offer to Pietrus. But the 6-6, 215-pounder wants to study all of his options.

"I am just looking to sort out the best situation for me," he said. "If it is with Golden State, that would be good. I just want to play and I would look forward to going back to them.

"If it means going to someone else - to one of the contenders - I just want to win the championship. For me, it's very important to play at the highest level as possible and be at a club for three or four years and win as much as I can."

Pietrus averaged 11.1 points and 4.5 rebounds last season to help the Warriors reach the playoffs, and he feels his improved play has put him in a strong position when it comes to attracting attention from other teams.

However, he also insists there is more to come.

"I think I have just had my best season," he said. "The coaches have really helped me find the best part of my game."

However, that form was not good enough to impress France coach Claude Bergeaud, who has controversially left Pietrus out of the France squad for next month's EuroBasket.

Pietrus admitted he was surprised by the decision but has vowed to put it behind him and force his way into the Olympics squad next summer.

"The coach made the decision, which I accept," he said. "I just have to work harder for next year and do the best I can. I will be at the Olympics, that's for sure."

In the meantime, Pietrus wants to focus on resolving his NBA future. Whichever team gets him will be getting a bargain, he insists.

"I'm ready to take my game to the next level," he said. "I have a lot of talent that you haven't seen. I haven't shown what I can do yet, and there is a lot more to come. Next year is going to be better. I hope to have a breakout year and I look forward to that.

monosylab1k
08-10-2007, 01:31 PM
that would actually be a really good pickup for Miami. plus it would make Golden State alot weaker. win.

Flo-Rida
08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
that would actually be a really good pickup for Miami. plus it would make Golden State alot weaker. win.
I really hope we sign him and he doesnt turn into another Mo

himat
08-10-2007, 03:30 PM
If this happens this will be the first good move for the Heat. I don't understand the rest of the moves they have made though. Smush, and Hardaway?