PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will have a lot of money next year..

himat
08-10-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=253897

At first blush, last month's deal between the Spurs and Rockets looked like a windfall for Houston and a head-scratcher for the defending champs. The Spurs got PG Vassilis Spanoulis, who is likely heading back to Greece after a miserable rookie year, and gave up young F/C Jackie Butler and coveted Argentine PF Luis Scola. Not seeing any benefit for the Spurs here? Patience. San Antonio was not certain Scola would ever play for them, because as long as PF Tim Duncan is in town, Scola's floor time would be limited. Butler, too, was unlikely to play much. The Spurs were able to lop off Butler's $2 million from their payroll, further setting the team up for next summer, when it can extend Duncan's contract and possibly have enough left over to make an eight-figure offer to the likes of PF Elton Brand, SG Rip Hamilton, PG Jason Kidd, PF Jermaine O'Neal, PF Shawn Marion or G Gilbert Arenas.

ss1986v2
08-10-2007, 04:08 PM
i wish media outlets would stop and actually look at teams salaries before they post this kind of stuff. it just ends up confusing fans and getting their hopes up. posted this a few pages back in the "2008 plan" thread:

with just duncan, parker, and manu that puts the spurs at ~42 mil. add in ~3 mil for bonner, ~3.5 mil with oberto, and ~1 mil for vaughn, that puts the spurs at just a shade under 50 mil, with at least 7 roster spots to fill. the cap figure this year is 55.6 mil, and if it goes up ~3 mil, we are looking at a 2008 cap of somewhere around 58 mil. and that doesnt even factor in the minimum cap holds for those 7 open roster spots. this also doesnt include any future signings (udoka or mahinmi?) or splitter. so a much more realistic number would probably be between 5-6 mil, which is more or less what the MLE is worth anyway.

so unless guys like brand are willing to take a massive pay cut (more than 50%), and the spurs are willing to fill out the rest of the roster with vet mins and rookie contracts, its never going to happen. i just pray we can put together a quality roster; heres to hoping finely and/or bowen re-up on the cheap.
once again, cant happen...

BacktoBasics
08-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Hahaha the Spurs already attempted to sign half those guys the last time "a lot of money was available".

Spurs don't and for some reason never will attract any superstar or star player near their prime.

urunobili
08-10-2007, 04:43 PM
stop dreaming please!!!!

Holt's Cat
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Why would any NBA star sign up to share the spotlight with Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker in one of the NBA's smallest markets?

J.T.
08-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Why would any NBA star sign up to share the spotlight with Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker in one of the NBA's smallest markets?

Because Duncan Ginobili and Parker = rings.

I prefer our system of bringing in veteran role players hungry for their first ring and willing to contribute over trying to sign star FAs.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Where is that information at the link?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Elton brand should come sign with us for 6 million a year.

himat
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
stop dreaming please!!!!

I don't want it to happen. Check out the Fav team on my name.

ducks
08-10-2007, 06:18 PM
brand will be intersting
because he got hurt will clippers want to take a chance and offer him the max?
he only stays in clipper land for the max imo!

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
I still don't see that phrase in Deveney's column.

Phenomanul
08-10-2007, 06:54 PM
i wish media outlets would stop and actually look at teams salaries before they post this kind of stuff. it just ends up confusing fans and getting their hopes up. posted this a few pages back in the "2008 plan" thread:

It can be a back loaded contract.

tbear280
08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Players who come to San Antonio are players who are smart, they know there role when they come to S.A. The reason people like Brand, Kidd, & O'Neal dont have rings is for one simple fact: THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET THE JOB DONE!!!!!!! Come to San Antonio and play with the best power forward ever, one of the best point guard's ever, and Manu (Mr. Energy) and your chances of getting a ring are about the same as you catching a freakin' cold !!!!! GO SPURS !!!!!!

ss1986v2
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
It can be a back loaded contract.
you can only back load a contract through using the % increases each year. you cant do an absorbanent back loading, like making the first year 6 mil and then the next year 12. its not allowed under the CBA. and the starting year of a max deal/near max is going to be around 10-12 mil, which is almost twice what the spurs would have to offer.

Extra Stout
08-10-2007, 08:25 PM
These journalists engage in poorly-researched speculation because they have nothing useful to say, but still are expected to write something.

himat
08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I still don't see that phrase in Deveney's column.

I can't find the article now. Sorry about the link I don't know why it won't post the article...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-10-2007, 08:58 PM
These journalists engage in poorly-researched speculation because they have nothing useful to say, but still are expected to write something.

The reason I'm so adamant about wanting to see the text of the article is that I'm still waiting (as far as I know, they haven't filled the job yet) to hear back from TSN about a position in their online department and I'd like to think I have as much knowledge as their writers.

davi78239
08-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Hahaha the Spurs already attempted to sign half those guys the last time "a lot of money was available".

Spurs don't and for some reason never will attract any superstar or star player near their prime.

And like I've said before, they'll just win a couple of more championships. I don't know how they do it but it gets done. You are right though. Don't hold your breath next summer and expect anything big.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-11-2007, 07:26 AM

But, but.....if the media said it, then it must be true, and if it's ever on ESPN then it is gospel. :bang :bang :bang

lotr1trekkie
08-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Elite players don't come here because they wan't Duncan type money[20 mil]. You can't that unless the two are willing to split like 30 mill. Most of these jerks only care about the money i.e. Garnett, Kidd, Francis, Marbury. Winning is secondary to these playes no matter what they say publicly. Than goodness Kidd was greedy or we wouldn't have Tony or Manu. If Finley wasn't getting Cuban's money he would have signed for the most money even with Atlanta.

wildchild
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't sign to a star, would look for a young player for when Tim and Manu'll leave the team and we have left only Tony.

maxpower
08-11-2007, 10:59 AM
be it as it may....

this adds to national perception.

enough of these type articles get around and it is bound to sink into some prospective free agent that S.A. is a place to keep in mind.

We bitch and moan of the lack of national respect but when the Spurs are mentioned in an article that plants the seeds that they will be a force which will just reload ....we bitch and moan.

spursfan09
08-11-2007, 11:07 AM
:lol Jason Kidd..... well if he wants to play for the spurs now, he has to take a back up role to Tony Parker.

remingtonbo2001
08-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Players who come to San Antonio are players who are smart, they know there role when they come to S.A. The reason people like Brand, Kidd, & O'Neal dont have rings is for one simple fact: THEY AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET THE JOB DONE!!!!!!! Come to San Antonio and play with the best power forward ever, one of the best point guard's ever, and Manu (Mr. Energy) and your chances of getting a ring are about the same as you catching a freakin' cold !!!!! GO SPURS !!!!!!

I wonder of the three mentioned, if any hold a College Degree? Maybe that should be a requirement. Look at the player Bruce was before completing his degree, then afterwards. :spin

barbacoataco
08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
If Finley, Barry, Horry and Bowen (?) all leave or retire after 2008, the Spurs will have to do something. That is a lot of shooting to lose.

ShoogarBear
08-11-2007, 03:37 PM
We bitch and moan of the lack of national respect but when the Spurs are mentioned in an article that plants the seeds that they will be a force which will just reload ....we bitch and moan.When you're good at something, stick with it.

K-State Spur
08-11-2007, 03:39 PM

WHO has? The way the economic structure of the NBA is nowadays, star players in their prime simply don't switch teams via free agency.