PDA

View Full Version : Delfino on Manu

TMTTRIO
08-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Someone helped me with the translation. hmm sounds like he's a little jealous of Manu. It will be interesting to see what he can do with Toronto this year. I think he can do really well.

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/08/10/01475131.html

"When I went to Reggio Calabria I was the new Ginóbili, When I went to Bologna I was the new Ginóbili, the same happened in the NBA and now they're saying I gotta be Manu's successor in the NT"

Delfino is not afraid of the comparisons with Gino. "I'm not worried anymore about them talking, seven or eight years passed with the same... I'm used to it" he says.

The santafesino (born in Santa Fe) understand that fate has bound him to the best Argentinian player. Not only because they're contemporary and they play the same position, but because every time the bahiense (born in Bahia Blanca, it refers to Manu) left a team or city he arrived right after Manu and had to bear comparisons. For Cabeza is a pride. "I wish I'd win half of what Manu won... he's having an amazing career, I admire him because of his mentality. He always wants more and he has worked to achieve that" says.

- do you lack his mentality?
- there's a lot of things. But he's not the only model I want to copy. Also others that are below him. You get something from everybody. Once I was told that every person has different colors . I may have 50 and be excellent. But maybe you have 5 and I don't have 4 of those 5.

- do you feel it as an unfair comparison?
- well, Manu has won a lot, it's very difficult... It's like searching for the new Maradona, the same. There will be one Messi, one Tevez, one Riquelme, but not a new Maradona. With Ginobili will happen the same... there will be other, but no one like him. I'm Carlos Delfino and I hope to do my stuff.

Delfino has what's needed to be great. It all will depend on his head.

Pistons < Spurs
08-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I've always liked Delfino. Sadly the Pistons half court offense was never going to allow his skills to be shown. I think he'll fare much better in Toronto as their style fits his game.

Ronaldo McDonald
08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
are Manu/Deflino comparisons legit? we should have gone after him if they are...if not because he can help us then just to have three players from Argentina on the same team. (i would do it - probably why i'd never make it as a gm)

WalterBenitez
08-11-2007, 06:18 AM
The difference is above their shoulders ...

Manu is a competitor, Carlos is a Mistery ...
Manu was and is a winner, Carlos just compete
Manu is 30, Carlos is 24
Manu's nose is bigger by 2 inch in every perspective you consider
Manu's hot night is almost the same than Carlos' one.

angel_luv
08-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Delfino is a Raptor :fro

JamStone
08-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Manu is a competitor, Carlos is a Mistery ...
Manu was and is a winner, Carlos just compete
Manu is 30, Carlos is 24
Manu's nose is bigger by 2 inch in every perspective you consider
Manu's hot night is almost the same than Carlos' one.

Since Manu really came into his own when he was 27-28, wouldn't it be fair to allow Delfino some time to do the same at a similar age. Delfino came to the NBA earlier and did not get to be "the man" for as long as Ginobili was in Europe and on the Argentinian national squad. While he disappointed many fans in Detroit, I don't think many question that he is capable of becoming a very good player in this league if given a better opportunity. He didn't fit with the Pistons under Larry Brown or Flip Saunders. But, unlike Manu, Ginobili wasn't put in a position where he could become a star. He had to play behind Rip Hamilton entering his prime and Tayshaun Prince who had become a solidifying presence in the line-up. Manu joined the Spurs at a time where there was still some uncertainty at the wing position. Stephen Jackson was good but also not considered a core player for whatever reason. And, Bruce Bowen, while a core player, was not a great offensive threat, even less than what he has become the last 2-3 years. Manu brought dynamic skills at the offensive end and a tenacity on defense. Delfino suffered a serious injury his first season with the Pistons, lost favor with Larry Brown his second year because of the way he re-habbed and the fact that Larry Brown went insane that year. And, Flip Saunders never trusted him as much as Rip and Tayshaun.

Now, all of that babble does not mean that Delfino should be as good as Manu. But, it does show how the opportunity for success was not exactly the type of situation Manu got when he joined the Spurs. Manu took advantage of it so credit Manu. But, Delfino didn't really have an opportunity to become a star for the Pistons.

I wish him well. I think he'll do better in Toronto.

hater
08-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Delfino is an average player. but he has no chance of being even 1/2 as good as Manu

sprrs
08-12-2007, 03:13 AM
I don't think he's jealous of Manu...seems like he's giving him his dues.

These types of things remind me how lucky we are to have Players like Manu and Tony on the Spurs. Having DRob and Duncan was amazing enough, but to add to two more incredible players, through the draft no less, is amazing to me.

Obstructed_View
08-12-2007, 05:50 AM
I agree completely. Manu has something that defies talent or ability. Some guys have it, and some don't.

urunobili
08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
He may have a career season this year... but NEVER CLOSE to Manu... if he leads ARG to the Olympics in Vegas.. i may start giving him more Credit

mbass
08-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I agree completely. Manu has something that defies talent or ability. Some guys have it, and some don't.

Most, if not all, of the Spurs have it - it's called smarts and/or basketball IQ.