PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Red Sox.

midgetonadonkey
08-11-2007, 09:25 PM
and the Yankees.

Just wanted to mention it.

Disclaimer:
This is not a personal attack on any Yankee or Red Sox fan. It is just a matter of opinion. I apologize to anyone I offended in advance.

T Park
08-11-2007, 09:38 PM
im with ya.

K-State Spur
08-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I'll take it further. I hate any Yankee or Red Sox fan that has never been to Boston or the Bronx. They are - by definition - bandwagoners and should be called out as such.

T Park
08-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Damn KState, right on friggen point.

They are BEYOND worse than the dumbfucks with the horrible accents.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2007, 06:01 AM
I'll take it further. I hate any Yankee or Red Sox fan that has never been to Boston or the Bronx. They are - by definition - bandwagoners and should be called out as such.

Absolute B.S.

That's like saying that there should be no Spurs fans that live outside San Antonio.

:rolleyes

K-State Spur
08-12-2007, 10:47 AM
No, it's like saying that anybody who roots for the Spurs who has never been to the greater San Antionio area likely only rooting for the team because they are winners.

There are exceptions (i.e. our Argentinean friends), but it still holds true enough for the rule to exist.

K-State Spur
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I've actually gotten to the point where the bandwagon Red Sox fans drive me more crazy than the Yankee fans, because somehow they have convinced themselves - since they don't root for the yankees - that they are not bandwagoners.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2007, 12:00 PM
No, it's like saying that anybody who roots for the Spurs who has never been to the greater San Antionio area likely only rooting for the team because they are winners.

Which would be incredibly false.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I have to disagree with the thoughts that you need ties to the area to support a team.

I'm a Braves fan (never been to the South) because they were the team I could easily follow day-in and day-out when I was a beginning baseball fan.

I'm a less rabid Mariners fan because I met a lot of people in their organization and my job at the time was to know the ins and outs of their organization from low-A to the majors and every staffer in between. I've never been to Seattle or the Pacific Northwest.

I think what the others might be meaning is that Yankees and Red Sox fans who seem to have no direct ties to the team seem to be the more obnoxious of the sort. Granted, everybody is not one way, but some people with passing interests in baseball tend to be the more unbearable ones when it comes to their team.

Luckily, the three people I normally associate with that are Red Sox (2) and Yankees fans are either insanely knowledgeable about their team and its history or have some logistical ties to the team (one Red Sox fan is from Boston and the Yankees fan has a ton of family in New York and Jersey).

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-12-2007, 12:24 PM
And to tie it back into Kori's thoughts, there are a number of reasons for people with no ties to San Antonio to become fans of the franchise.

Same as there are with every team.

I say jokingly that I hate the Yankees, but there's not even any team I hate because I tend to be a fan of the sport as much as I am a fan of the team. I like A-Rod, Jeter, Posada, Matsui, Cano, Melky, Rivera (hell, I'd wear a Rivera jersey).

I love baseball. I can find something interesting in a lot of games that I have no ties to and will usually stop if I come across a game. Plus, I have MLB.TV and I cover MiLB for a living. Hell of a way to get paid, let me tell you.

dirk4mvp
08-12-2007, 12:27 PM
My grandad has been a Red Sox fan since Ted Williams played for them and he's never been to Boston. Great logic you have there, K-State

K-State Spur
08-12-2007, 12:44 PM
There are plenty of exceptions to this rule. Personally knowing guys on a team, the old 1980s TBS Braves and 1990s WGN Cub fans (although if it's been 20 years and they've never been to their teams' home field, I do have to question the dedication), growing up in a family of devout fans, and probably about 20 more reasons that aren't coming to me off the top of my head.

Plenty of exceptions to the rule.

That said...for every Yankee fan that has a good reason to root for them although they have never been to New York, there's 50 A-holes that claim to be Yankee fans even though they wouldn't give that team the time of day if they were losing (and I mean truly losing, not a single rough first half of the season over a 15 year period) and couldn't point out the Bronx on a map.

K-State Spur
08-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I say jokingly that I hate the Yankees, but there's not even any team I hate because I tend to be a fan of the sport as much as I am a fan of the team. I like A-Rod, Jeter, Posada, Matsui, Cano, Melky, Rivera (hell, I'd wear a Rivera jersey).

I agree with that (although as an Oriole fan, I do hate the Yankees). But there is a huge difference between jumping on a team's bandwagon vs. appreciating what the best teams in their respective sports are doing.

SRJ
08-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I love the Red Sox. Why? I hate the Yankees.

Aside from the Spurs, the 2004 Red Sox were my favorite champions in a team sport.

T Park
08-12-2007, 01:55 PM
The people I think hes reffering to, are the people that jumped on the bandwagon in 2004, now think they are LIFE LONG fans.

Kori Ellis
08-12-2007, 02:04 PM
The people I think hes reffering to, are the people that jumped on the bandwagon in 2004, now think they are LIFE LONG fans.

I get what he's trying to say, but it's not what he said.

I hate any Yankee or Red Sox fan that has never been to Boston or the Bronx. They are - by definition - bandwagoners and should be called out as such.

K-State Spur
08-12-2007, 07:15 PM
To begin with, you are taking me way too seriously and literally for a message board.

Melmart1
08-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't know why people assume this about fans. THere are bandwagoners everywhere, but never having been to a city or state to see your team does not make you one. I have always had soft spot for both the Red Sox and the Twins, and yet have never been Boston or Minnesota.

I know a few Spurs fans who were big fans of Wake Forest so followed him here as a fan. Never been to SA, perhaps never will. Doesn't make them less of a fan than anyone here in SA. In fact, half the people I know locally who are "fans" only start watching in April. Shit, my brother didn't even know Malik had been traded till two months later!

As for taking you too seriously -- does this mean anything that K-State Spur says from now one can't be taken seriously? You can't make a blanket statement about ALL fans like that and not expect to get called out.

Melmart1
08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
OH, and as for the original intent of the thread, I love the Red Sox, and hate the Yankees. I love the Sox cus they used to be perennial losers, and I have a soft spot for that, and I am now hoping for the Cubbies to go all the way.

I hate the Yankees, but it has nothing to do wtih the Sox, surprisingly. I hate them because each of the three times my beloved Texas Rangers made the playoffs, the mother fucking yankees eliminated them.

Oh, and beacuse we are paying roughly 1/3 of A-Rod's bloated salary for him to play for the Yankees. The one time Moneybags Steinbrenner gets cheap, my Rangers are the recepient of the assfucking.

Oh, and because they totally own the Rangers, both in Arlington and in the Bronx. :(

BeerIsGood!
08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
K-State Spur got completely BLOWN UP :smchode: in this thread. Then the back peddling starts... priceless.

j-6
08-12-2007, 07:37 PM
It's way more fun to hate on the Yankees and tolerate the Red Sox. '04 was three years ago. Hell, the Spurs have won two titles since then. Any dislike I have for the Sox is for the Massholes, not their team.

As an aside, I don't care for either team, but I've been lucky enough in my life to go to Fenway. I don't ever need to go back - it's like a dive bar with above premium pricing - but I framed the ticket stub.

Wrigley is a lot cooler.

Erect as a Bull
08-13-2007, 03:24 AM
I HATE Boston as well.
I was born and raised a Yankee fan. :)

And I have been to the Bronx and Fenway.

I've been at Fenway for 2 games and I have been to the Bronx numerous times.
I'm far from a bandwagoner.

I hate fans that just pop out of the closet as well.

But everyone has thier own opinions on why they like thier team