PDA

View Full Version : Thor gets his own movie!

E20
08-12-2007, 02:25 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20070810/en_industry_eo/b9372a87_b4254019_afb0_66957e536f95

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice…unless Thor's around, that is.

The hammer-tossing superhero is the latest star from the comic-book vault to get in line for big-screen treatment, with Marvel Studios lining up British auteur Matthew Vaughn to direct Thor, based on the Stan Lee-created character.

Marvel is hoping to get production in progress by this winter. Mark Protosevich, whose latest project was the apocalyptic Will Smith thriller I Am Legend, will pen the screenplay.

As laid out in the 1962 comics franchise The Mighty Thor, the Norse god of thunder and war is sent by his father Odin to inhabit the body of mere mortal Dr. Donald Blake, in order to teach the arrogant lad some humility. Once Odin is satisfied that his son has learned his lesson, Thor no longer requires a regular-guy alter ego and can be counted on to save the world from the inevitable variety of humanity-threatening evil-doers.

Describing the thought process that went into creating Thor 40-some years ago, Lee wrote in his 2002 autobiography Excelsior! The Amazing Life of Stan Lee:

"I wanted to come up with something totally different. I thought it would fun to invent someone as powerful as, or perhaps even more powerful than, the Incredible Hulk. But how do you make someone stronger than the strongest human? It finally came to me: Don't make him human—make him a god."

There's no word yet on who might be asked to wear the winged helmet, but as is the case when Hollywood utters the words "superhero" or "sci-fi," the blogs are already atwitter with suggestions.

"This pretty much has Josh Holloway written all over it," wrote IceTruckDexter on cinematical.com, while others suggested Matthew McConaughey, Jason Mewes (must be a hair thing), New Zealand-born actor Karl Urban (lately an assassin in The Bourne Supremacy) and, of course, Vincent D'Onofrio, who memorably played a beefy mechanic who was mistaken for Thor in Adventures in Babysitting in 1987.

Hopes are high, especially considering the sleight of hand Marvel Studios displayed in casting its other upcoming additions to the comic-book-film canon, The Incredible Hulk, due out June 13, 2008, and Iron Man, slated for a May 2 release.

Edward Norton is suiting up as the volatile Dr. Bruce Banner for the not-quite-a-sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk, and Liv Tyler plays love interest Betty Ross. Tim Roth, William Hurt and Tim Blake Nelson are also on hand to up the action flick's dramatic pedigree.

Former Swinger Jon Favreau's take on Iron Man stars Robert Downey Jr. as the metallically-enhanced hero, with Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Samuel L. Jackson and Hilary Swank rounding out the supporting cast.

Thor will be only the third trip behind the camera for Vaughn, who made his directing debut with 2004's heist romp Layer Cake, and whose second film, the fantasy-adventure Stardust, starring Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro, comes out Friday.

The London native also produced the Guy Ritchie-directed films Snatch, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Swept Away, with an emphasis on the first two.
-----------------------------------------------

Pretty soon Dr.Strange will get his own movie and then Dr.Strange, Silver Surfer, The Hulk and Thor can team up in there own movie. I don't think Namor will get his own movie though, he was never really that popular.

Mister Sinister
08-12-2007, 02:26 AM
This will either rock out loud, or be a repeat of Spidey 3 which causes me to simultaneously weep, and crucify the filmmakers in effigy.

peewee's lovechild
08-12-2007, 03:19 AM
This is going to be real hard to pull off.

But, it seemed to work on "Adventures in Babysitting".

The Red Hood
08-12-2007, 05:41 AM

:lol Is Vincent D'Onofrio available

phyzik
08-12-2007, 04:43 PM

thats the first thing that popped into my head... any way you look at it, this movie is most assuredly bound to fail.

My mind keeps offering up images of Adventures in Babysitting, Steel and Flash Gordon. :lol

The ONLY way this movie works is if they make the movie dark and Thor is a hardcore badass without that totally gay outfit with the winged helmet.

FYI, here is the officially licences version of the helmet from Marvel Comics.

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Thor_Helmet_Costume.jpg :lmao

Cant_Be_Faded
08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Like all marvel movies they will automatically pick an overrated douche for either the protagonist or the antagonist.

I'd personally like to see how Loki is going to come off, but I don't see how this movie won't fail.
Meh. Beats remakes and unnecessary sequels I guess.

Switchman
08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Seeing what Hollywood has done to comic movies...

I couldn't care less. They will have some shitty casting and a stupid storyline.

Marvel has whored itself out and 90% of them are 1/100th of what they should be.

Shit, don't be surprised if Adrian Brody plays Thor.

peewee's lovechild
08-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Seeing what Hollywood has done to comic movies...

I couldn't care less. They will have some shitty casting and a stupid storyline.

Marvel has whored itself out and 90% of them are 1/100th of what they should be.

Shit, don't be surprised if Adrian Brody plays Thor.

Dolph Lundgren as Thor baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Red Hood
08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
thats the first thing that popped into my head... any way you look at it, this movie is most assuredly bound to fail.

My mind keeps offering up images of Adventures in Babysitting, Steel and Flash Gordon. :lol

The ONLY way this movie works is if they make the movie dark and Thor is a hardcore badass without that totally gay outfit with the winged helmet.

FYI, here is the officially licences version of the helmet from Marvel Comics.

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Thor_Helmet_Costume.jpg :lmao

EXACTLY it would have be a reincarnation King Leonidas and it might work but they would probably cast someone like Matthew McConaughey :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
08-12-2007, 09:09 PM
dolph lungdren fucking rules

Hemotivo
08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
O
B
E
R
T
H
O
R

Hemotivo
08-12-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/11/09/um/thumb/oberto.jpg http://www.matotuonda.com.ar/imagenes/oberto.jpg
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2006-2007/1226spurs4_oberto_tr.jpg
http://www.a-d-c.com.ar/images/upload/oberto.jpg
OBERTHOR

E20
08-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Thor sometimes is pictured with a crown or a head piece, kind alike the one that Conan wears.

leemajors
08-12-2007, 10:15 PM
the dr. Strange movie is aight, along the same lines as the iron man animated movie

L.I.T
08-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm betting we might see more of the Thunderstrike iteration, just to keep it grounded in some sort of reality. Also, it's directed by Matthew Vaughn, which is cause for some optimism.

L.I.T
08-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Bump:

Rotten Tomatoes is reporting that Marvel wants the wrestler Triple H to play Thor, with Vaughn resisting. Rumoured though, is that Kevin McKidd (of Rome fame) might be up for the part.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stardust/news/1662805/

Clutch20
08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Wasn't there a Thor movie (for TV?) made some years back, a series?
It wasn't too bad but plodded along, couldn't get the tempo right for me.
And I agree about the costume concepts, those primary colors wouldn't go over very well.
Yeah, make it dark too, except the Valhalla scenes if there's any.

peewee's lovechild
08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Bump:

Rotten Tomatoes is reporting that Marvel wants the wrestler Triple H to play Thor, with Vaughn resisting. Rumoured though, is that Kevin McKidd (of Rome fame) might be up for the part.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stardust/news/1662805/

Going with Triple H would be just beyond stupid.
If they do that, I'll show up to the theater and smear the screen with my own feces.

However, if they go with Kevin McKidd I would probably be interested in watching it. He kicked ass in Rome.

L.I.T
08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Going with Triple H would be just beyond stupid.
If they do that, I'll show up to the theater and smear the screen with my own feces.

However, if they go with Kevin McKidd I would probably be interested in watching it. He kicked ass in Rome.

Flaming bags of poo would be more eloquent. That rumor right there shows why Marvel should remove Avi Arad from any future productions.

McKidd would be damn good as a Eric Masterson/Donald Blake role.

Oscar DeLa
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't know what it is but Triple H's role in Blade Trinity was expanded three fold due to the director being impressed with his acting skills and work ethic--wrestlers being naturals at acting.

peewee's lovechild
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't know what it is but Triple H's role in Blade Trinity was expanded three fold due to the director being impressed with his acting skills and work ethic--wrestlers being naturals at acting.

Which is why Trinity sucked ass.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Trinity did suck ass but to say it sucked ass because of Triple H is retarded because any astute movie watcher can think of 5 or 6 reasons better than that.

peewee's lovechild
08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Trinity did suck ass but to say it sucked ass because of Triple H is retarded because any astute movie watcher can think of 5 or 6 reasons better than that.

I never said that was the reason it sucked ass. But, it was one of the reasons it sucked ass.

It sucked because they killed off Whistler. Biel, Reynolds, and that blind chick were completely unnecessary. And, there wasn't enough of Snipes. The movie just sucked ass.

Switchman
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
The PERFECT actor to play Thor would without a doubt be the Viking Leader in the 13th warrior.

That dude was 100000000000% Thor.

He is probably way too old to play Thor now though.