PDA

View Full Version : Udoka's next stop? Looks like the Spurs

Bruno
08-13-2007, 02:37 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1186975533299330.xml&coll=7

JOE FREEMAN
The Oregonian Staff

Ime Udoka, whose rise from the NBA Development League to NBA starter made him a fan favorite with the Trail Blazers, is poised to sign a multiyear contract with the reigning-champion San Antonio Spurs.

Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, told The Oregonian on Sunday that Udoka has made a commitment to the Spurs and hoped to have a deal finalized by Tuesday.

Cowan would not reveal contract specifics, but sources have indicated that Udoka will sign a two-year deal worth more than $2 million. The second year could be a player option.

"San Antonio was the first team to contact us and we've been in communication with each other ever since," Cowan said. "They were very respectful to us during the process and allowed us to go out and seek more money. But the well dried up. Ime's excited for this opportunity."

Udoka had hoped throughout free agency to re-sign with Portland, Cowan said. But after the Blazers traded for James Jones and signed free agents Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, the team had committed to the maximum of 15 guaranteed contracts. So he shifted focus.

Boston, Miami, Memphis, Cleveland and Dallas expressed interest, according to Cowan, with the Celtics -- after trading for Kevin Garnett earlier this month -- being the most serious bidders.

But financial terms never could be agreed upon and in the end, San Antonio became the ideal fit.

"This is an opportunity for Ime to play on the grand stage with the defending champions," Cowan said. "Portland will always be in his heart, but this opportunity was too good to pass up. He's going to play around three all-stars and a Hall of Famer, and he gets the opportunity to play for a champion right now."

Udoka, who played at Jefferson High School and Portland State, will provide San Antonio with solid long-range shooting, superior perimeter defense and a tireless work ethic.

The Blazers invited him to their training camp last season as an afterthought, but he blossomed into an opening-day starter. He started 75 games at small forward, averaging 8.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game, and shot 46.1 percent from the field, including 40.6 percent from three-point range.

Before the breakout season, Udoka was a journeyman, making professional stops in Europe, the NBA Development League and the NBA.

"He's excited to start the next phase of his career," Cowan said. "He wants to be a Spur for a long time."

conqueso
08-13-2007, 02:39 AM
about fucking time

Dex
08-13-2007, 02:40 AM
:downspin:

Something happened!

Leetonidas
08-13-2007, 02:40 AM
about fucking time
QFT :wakeup

Dex
08-13-2007, 02:48 AM
"San Antonio was the first team to contact us and we've been in communication with each other ever since," Cowan said. "They were very respectful to us during the process and allowed us to go out and seek more money. But the well dried up. Ime's excited for this opportunity."

Thought I'd quote that part for all the haters who think the Spurs FO has been sitting on their asses all summer.

SilverPlayer
08-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Thank god! This helps so much, and made the spurs entire off season!

x_roux_x
08-13-2007, 03:10 AM
thank god

gmanrulz
08-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Udoka will sign a two-year deal worth more than $2 million. The second year could be a player option[/B]

so pretty much if he has 1 good year hes out

x_roux_x
08-13-2007, 03:11 AM
fucking finally

x_roux_x
08-13-2007, 03:11 AM
im glad something seems to have happened.

x_roux_x
08-13-2007, 03:13 AM
For better or worse...But I am definately leaning toward better. Glad its a hard nosed hustle player like him...Just thankful its someone new honestly...we will see during the season....if nothing else Beno can save us! :p:

Streakyshooter08
08-13-2007, 03:17 AM
Getting him for 2 years for about 2,5 Mio would be a GREAT deal! Cool.

BeerIsGood!
08-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Nice pickup, if he comes in with a willingness to learn and work with the best in the business he'll be a solid player and help strengthen the defensive rotation.

Sense
08-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Yes!!! the waiting ended... the Spurs did something...

Leetonidas
08-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Haha now Boston is pwned. Udoka on Allen, Bruce on Pierce, Tim on KG...

Having Udoka is great because we're more versatile. Udoka on Iverson, Bowen on Anthony, Udoka on Howard, Bowen on Dirk...

Great signing.

Sense
08-13-2007, 03:29 AM
More like Bruce on allen, Udoka on Pierce, and Tim on KG

koopa
08-13-2007, 04:04 AM
hell yeah, now lets get rid of barry

T Park
08-13-2007, 04:06 AM
very nice signing if true.

sign Mahinmi, sign Sanidize. Call it a summer.

koopa
08-13-2007, 04:08 AM

not necessarily, because in 08 the spurs will have more money, and if he has a good year he can opt out and get more money from us

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-13-2007, 04:47 AM
Sounds bloody good to me! :)

Makes up for the Scola/Butler disappointment.

And if he sticks here we will have the money to pay to keep him next year. He'll give us some time to invest in developing our Euros and finding our young SF.

hsxvvd
08-13-2007, 04:50 AM
... ... ... exhale...

hsxvvd
08-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Haha now Boston is pwned. Udoka on Allen, Bruce on Pierce, Tim on KG...

Having Udoka is great because we're more versatile. Udoka on Iverson, Bowen on Anthony, Udoka on Howard, Bowen on Dirk...

Great signing.

Sounds great, but are you suggesting small ball?

Parker, Ginobili, Udoka, Bowen, Duncan? This doesn't work.

So who do you bench in these scenarios, given Iverson, Anthony, Howard, Dirk all play 40 mins?

Spurs Brazil
08-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Great news

Spurs Brazil
08-13-2007, 06:59 AM
Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, told The Oregonian on Sunday that Udoka has made a commitment to the Spurs and hoped to have a deal finalized by Tuesday.

Cowan would not reveal contract specifics, but sources have indicated that Udoka will sign a two-year deal worth more than $2 million. The second year could be a player option.

Very different from the 3yrs/$9

SenorSpur
08-13-2007, 07:12 AM
It's about fucking time!

This will more than makeup for the failed James White experiement.

Udoka will be a wonderful transitional option at the swing slot. This will buy the Spurs more time while they continue their never-ending search for the so-called "Derrick McKey"-type of player.

bdictjames
08-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Yeah.

AFBlue
08-13-2007, 07:35 AM

I'm guessing the second year of the deal is a team option, rather than a player option. It just seems more logical that the Spurs would continue to be flexible with their payroll going into next summer.

On the whole, it's a pretty good deal. They get a solid defensive player who's speciality is 3pt shooting.

But, if it's at or above $2.5M, the Spurs will be at least a mil over the lux tax threshold. That tells me they may not be done dealing, or will keep their options open when considering the future of players like Barry and Beno.

Bottom Line: Good deal for Spurs-type role player. It doesn't make up for the earlier gaffes in the summer, but it's a good start on the road to recovery.

Kori Ellis
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Better than nothing I guess (if it actually happens).

I assume Barry is on the way out then.

timvp
08-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Two-years, $2M for Udoka would be an amazing steal. Considering that someone like Jason Kapono got $6M/year this offseason, Udoka for $1/year is shocking. The only thing Kapono does better than Udoka is shoot threes ... and Udoka is a good three-point shooter himself.

It looks like what some of us said turned out to be the case that the Spurs were low-balling Udoka to force his hand. Udoka and his agent knew San Antonio was the best opportunity, yet wanted more money (which you can't blame them for). The Spurs waited them out and like the agent said, the well dried up. For example, Matt Barnes had to sign a one-year, $3M contract after playing pretty well last year.

The Spurs waited out the rest of the league and when it came down to comparable offers, Udoka picked the best situation. Nice job by both the Spurs and Udoka. I thought a three-year contract for $9M was a good deal. This deal is just staggering after the season Udoka had last year. It's basically a minimum contract.

:tu

P.S.

However I'll wait to be excited about this until it's actually official. It's been "close" for a while now.

SenorSpur
08-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Two-years, $2M for Udoka would be an amazing steal. Considering that someone like Jason Kapono got $6M/year this offseason, Udoka for $1/year is shocking. The only thing Kapono does better than Udoka is shoot threes ... and Udoka is a good three-point shooter himself.

It looks like what some of us said turned out to be the case that the Spurs were low-balling Udoka to force his hand. Udoka and his agent knew San Antonio was the best opportunity, yet wanted more money (which you can't blame them for). The Spurs waited them out and like the agent said, the well dried up. For example, Matt Barnes had to sign a one-year, $3M contract after playing pretty well last year.

The Spurs waited out the rest of the league and when it came down to comparable offers, Udoka picked the best situation. Nice job by both the Spurs and Udoka. I thought a three-year contract for $9M was a good deal. This deal is just staggering after the season Udoka had last year. It's basically a minimum contract.

P.S.

However I'll wait to be excited about this until it's actually official. It's been "close" for a while now.

I'm sure if this works out for both parties, the Spurs would likely give him a bump in salary and years if his contributions warrant it. Similar to what they did with Oberto.

Darkwaters
08-13-2007, 08:28 AM
It's about fucking time!

This will more than makeup for the failed James White experiement.

Udoka will be a wonderful transitional option at the swing slot. This will buy the Spurs more time while they continue their never-ending search for the so-called "Derrick McKey"-type of player.

I think Udoka is poised to be Bowen's replacement now while the "Derrick McKey" type will be brought in to play alongside Udoka. I don't think you have simply one or the other...I think you have both. Besides, with his height we could see Ime playing more SG than SF at times. And when Finley leaves he could start at the 2 and sub out for Ginobili (or simply roll over to the 3 when Manu comes in). We'll just see what happens as time goes along.

Darkwaters
08-13-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm sure if this works out for both parties, the Spurs would likely give him a bump in salary and years if his contributions warrant it. Similar to what they did with Oberto.

Considering that Finley, Bowen and Barry will all be expiring that is a very likely occurance. Especially if none of those guys resign with the Spurs. Udoka could be a starter within a year.

The Mole
08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I worked this deal from the inside

Obstructed_View
08-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Sounds great, but are you suggesting small ball?

Parker, Ginobili, Udoka, Bowen, Duncan? This doesn't work.

So who do you bench in these scenarios, given Iverson, Anthony, Howard, Dirk all play 40 mins?
There's nothing wrong with smallball that can play defense. When you have slow individual defenders on the perimiter and no shot blockers in the paint then the layup line begins.

I think Pop learned his lesson about shuffling the roster to deal with individual matchups. If the team can play defense as a unit, then individual players can't hurt you as badly. Besides, Duncan's going to defend Dirk in the playoffs from now on. I think the 50 points per game myth has died the death it deserves.

ducks
08-13-2007, 09:16 AM

barry and beno for?

tlongII
08-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Udoka's agent is an idiot. 2 years for a million a year??? Unbeavable.

MoSpur
08-13-2007, 09:20 AM
It it becomes official for the numbers mentioned, it would be a very good deal for the Spurs.

SequSpur
08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
coyote > udoka

TwoHandJam
08-13-2007, 09:41 AM
There's nothing wrong with smallball that can play defense. When you have slow individual defenders on the perimiter and no shot blockers in the paint then the layup line begins.

I think Pop learned his lesson about shuffling the roster to deal with individual matchups. If the team can play defense as a unit, then individual players can't hurt you as badly. Besides, Duncan's going to defend Dirk in the playoffs from now on. I think the 50 points per game myth has died the death it deserves.
I think it'll be great if we can sign Udoka at 2M/yr and we definitely need the infusion of youth on the wings but I still see the need for a long 3. I don't think Tim is the answer on Dirk for extended periods because he's still faster than Tim and can pull Tim out of shotblocking position.

We're going to need another forward that is mobile and at least 6'7" before Bowen declines seriously. Right now the only prospects we have are Williams and Sanikidze (maybe Mahinmi?). I hope one of them pans out.

loveforthegame
08-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Nice news to wake up to. Finally. What a steal for the Spurs.

Bruno
08-13-2007, 09:52 AM
Udoka could maybe be a decent small ball PF. He is only 6'5" but is quite strong and was a very good rebounder when he played in Europe. He spend one year split between Spain and France and averaged 9.2 rebounds/40min.
His rebounding numbers weren't good with Portland but it was maybe because he stayed on the perimeter defending the best perimeter player. If you use him as a small ball PF, maybe he could be a good rebounder like he was when he played in Europe.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-13-2007, 09:57 AM
The sooner the Spurs can make this official the sooner the Spurs own the entire "U" section of NBA.com. That's the kind of dominance you expect from a dynasty.

timvp
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Udoka could maybe be a decent small ball PF. He is only 6'5" but is quite strong and was a very good rebounder when he played in Europe. He spend one year split between Spain and France and averaged 9.2 rebounds/40min.
His rebounding numbers weren't good with Portland but it was maybe because he stayed on the perimeter defending the best perimeter player. If you use him as a small ball PF, maybe he could be a good rebounder like he was when he played in Europe.In Bruno's eyes, does Udoka fill the void you talked about in this post. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1903420&postcount=2)

Holt's Cat
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Hope so. He would allow the Spurs to continue to play their style post-Bruce. Plus, until Bruce's retirement the Spurs can throw two top perimeter defenders at an opponent at the same time.

lotr1trekkie
08-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Udoka will be on the 12 man roster so someone has to go. Barry or Beno?

misterx91578
08-13-2007, 10:23 AM
nice deal

AFBlue
08-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Udoka will be on the 12 man roster so someone has to go. Barry or Beno?

I wouldn't say Udoka HAS to be on the 12-man roster.

I'd say there's a good chance because he seems to be the type of player that the Spurs really covet, but Udoka hasn't proven that he's worthy of any minutes for this team as of yet.

I think he could eventually push Barry to the end of the bench, and off this team, but I don't think it happens right away....if at all.

And I doubt Beno gets the boot because of the position that he plays. It has become standard practice that 3 PGs dress out every game, and I don't see that changing....

mcdunk
08-13-2007, 10:32 AM

I disagree, Beno before Barry IMO. Barry gives more flexibility with the 12 man rotation by being able to play SG and run the point. His alson has an expiring contract.

genghisrex
08-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Pop loves Finley, but I don't think he'll be able to keep Udoka and his defense out of the starting line-up for long. I bet he'll start next to Bruce at the 2 within the first couple months of the season.

Bruno
08-13-2007, 10:34 AM
In Bruno's eyes, does Udoka fill the void you talked about in this post. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1903420&postcount=2)

Not really. Udoka is unproven as small ball PF in nba. I will wait to see what he could do at the PF spot before saying that he fills this void. He has some interesting qualities (strength and rebounding) but is only 6'5". So, wait and see.

You often say that Devin Brown wasn't a that bad small ball PF, maybe Udoka could do the same thing.

juncan
08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Report: Udoka to sign two-year deal with San Antonio
Posted by Casey Holdahl August 13, 2007 07:27AM
Categories: Free agency

The long ordeal that is Ime Udoka's free agency is reportedly coming to a close. Erin Cowen, Ime's agent, has told The Oregonian that Udoka is going to sign a two-year contract with the Spurs. "Sources" are saying that the deal is worth $2 million a year with the second year possibly being a player option.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2007/08/report_udoka_to_sign_twoyear_d.html

It seems the deal is worth $2 million a year?

AFBlue
08-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I disagree, Beno before Barry IMO. Barry gives more flexibility with the 12 man rotation by being able to play SG and run the point. His alson has an expiring contract.

That's a point I hear brought up alot when discussing how to backfill Beno in the 3rd PG spot if he's traded/let go.....but does it have any merit?

We all know that Barry CAN play the PG position, as he did from time to time is Seattle....but has Pop played Barry at that position when he had Beno at his disposal?

It's an honest question that I really don't know the answer to, but I haven't seen it in my experience watching the team.

Bottom Line: Shipping out Beno and having Barry as the 3rd string emergency PG is a viable option for Spurs Fan, but I don't think it's even a realistic option for Spurs FO.

timvp
08-13-2007, 10:46 AM

I'd say there's a good chance because he seems to be the type of player that the Spurs really covet, but Udoka hasn't proven that he's worthy of any minutes for this team as of yet.

I think he could eventually push Barry to the end of the bench, and off this team, but I don't think it happens right away....if at all.

And I doubt Beno gets the boot because of the position that he plays. It has become standard practice that 3 PGs dress out every game, and I don't see that changing....I don't see a situation in which Udoka isn't on the 12-man roster. You don't sign a 30-year-old veteran to guaranteed money to sit him on IR.

ggoose25
08-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I wish the Spurs FO would stop trying to fit Beno into a roll he 1) sucks at and 2) is not meant to play.

Someone has said that he is naturally a combo type of guard and would have to work a lot on his handles to be the kind of reliable pg we need to fill in on an emergency basis.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Let this trashbag go, and keep Barry as insurance for the pg and sg positions. Bring in Sankidize and Mahinimi as the 13 and 14 roster spots, and play ball.

timvp
08-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Pop loves Finley, but I don't think he'll be able to keep Udoka and his defense out of the starting line-up for long. I bet he'll start next to Bruce at the 2 within the first couple months of the season.Yeah, I can imagine that as well. I would say the only thing that stands between Udoka and the starting lineup is if he and Bowen prove to be too weak of an offensive duo. That said, Finley doesn't do much offensively other than catch and shoot, either.

Mister Sinister
08-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Halle-friggin'-lujah. We got something done.

timvp
08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
It seems the deal worth $2 million a year?Yeah, that blog has it listed different from the actual article. I think the blog is wrong because it's referencing the article . . . the blog writer must have just gotten confused.

Either way, even if it's a 2-year, $4M deal, that's a steal for the Spurs.

AFBlue
08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't see a situation in which Udoka isn't on the 12-man roster. You don't sign a 30-year-old veteran to guaranteed money to sit him on IR.

Except that the other swingmen with more tenure on this Spurs squad are also signed to guaranteed contracts....and those contracts happen to be bigger than the rumored $1M/yr deal.

I'm not saying you're wrong, nor do I think it's a bad thing to have Udoka on the court. But the situation isn't as cut-and-dry as it seems.

If Barry is traded though, it becomes a different story....

AFBlue
08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah, that blog has it listed different from the actual article. I think the blog is wrong because it's referencing the article . . . the blog writer must have just gotten confused.

Note that it also says "more than" $2M, so it could be a 2yr, $5M deal.

Either way it isn't a bad deal, but the higher number does have lux tax implictations....

phxspurfan
08-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes! ByeBye Beno!!!1

genghisrex
08-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, I can imagine that as well. I would say the only thing that stands between Udoka and the starting lineup is if he and Bowen prove to be too weak of an offensive duo. That said, Finley doesn't do much offensively other than catch and shoot, either.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they work together. If Ime plays as Bruce's back-up rather than alongside him, there's not much of a role for him this year unless Bruce takes a dive or Pop starts to manage his minutes.

AFBlue
08-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they work together. If Ime plays as Bruce's back-up rather than alongside him, there's not much of a role for him this year unless Bruce takes a dive or Pop starts to manage his minutes.

This might actually be a smart thing.

Some on this board think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll retire when his contract is up next year, but I could easily see the Spurs offering vet min money to bring him back for another year or two.

And I would rather have Bruce as a contributor for less MPG over the next two or three years, than a stellar, high-octane Bruce for next year and a dogged out Bruce or no Bruce the following year.

The man is 37 years old....it's about time the Spurs started managing his minutes.

Switchman
08-13-2007, 12:05 PM
DEFENSE!!!!

78 more days :(

50 cent
08-13-2007, 12:12 PM

El_Mago
08-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Udoka was a damn good defender in Portland where he pretty much locked people down by his lonesome.

The Scary Part is....he's coming to San Antonio where defensive concepts allow the player to become better defenders.....he's damn good already....and he's not even the best defender on the team......

The Spurs will LOCKDOWN teams this year.

Phew....

Mister Sinister
08-13-2007, 12:27 PM
This is gonna rokk.

Obstructed_View
08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd sure love to watch the preseason practices while they compete for jobs.

wildbill2u
08-13-2007, 12:41 PM
personally, I love the way the Spurs played their hand. No panic. No throwing big bucks around for a role player. They had a price in mind for his value and stayed with it.

There's always another deal and another hand. Good poker playing.

Testing
08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Who did he guard when they played the spurs last year? and howd he do?

timvp
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
personally, I love the way the Spurs played their hand. No panic. No throwing big bucks around for a role player. They had a price in mind for his value and stayed with it.

There's always another deal and another hand. Good poker playing.Yeah, if the Udoka deal gets, the Spurs played this hand well.

It seems as if they offered a little bit more than the minimum but a little bit less than the LLE. I'm sure other teams were willing to throw the LLE at him at least, but the Spurs knew they had the advantage because of how well Udoka could fit long-term. They called the bluff from Udoka's agent and seem to be on the verge of getting a steal.

Luckily no team came offering a bigger contract. While the way the Spurs negotiate can lead to nice bargains, it can also lead to players getting away (SJax, PJ Brown, etc).

timvp
08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Who did he guard when they played the spurs last year? and howd he do?
A lot of good Udoka can be found in this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73847) , this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74066) and this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73697).

I believe in one of those threads objective had a breakdown of how Udoka played against the Spurs.

Streakyshooter08
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Something I really like about this signing is that allows the Spurs to have a great wing-defender on the court all the time. If he comes off the bench along with Manu you have a VERY nice 2nd unit: Manu/Udoka/Horry will be great: they all can defend and shoot the 3! I am really looking forward to see what they are able to do...

If the Spurs would manage to get a good shotblocker nex to TD down low it would be really awesome.

ashbeeigh
08-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Lovely.

I don't know if this was mentioned in the Ian thread, but with the off chance that he comes over .... how does that impact him?

duncan228
08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, if the Udoka deal gets, the Spurs played this hand well.

While the way the Spurs negotiate can lead to nice bargains, it can also lead to players getting away (SJax, PJ Brown, etc).

Would you say that the Spurs have a better "win" record with the way they negotiate or a better "lose" record?

I'm with wildbill2u, I like the way they played this. I think they usually do play their hand well, or at least better than most. There's always room for criticism but overall I think they win more than they lose.

timvp
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Would you say that the Spurs have a better "win" record with the way they negotiate or a better "lose" record?Good question.

It's probably about even. The problem is that the strategy is more prone to backfire when there is more money on the line. While the Spurs were able to sign players like Bowen, Barry and hopefully Udoka for less than their market value, they had some big losses such as losing out of PJ Brown for a couple million and whatever happened in the SJax fiasco.

It seemingly worked well in this scenario so can't really complain.

BeerIsGood!
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
An additional positive to the Spurs' FO strategy is that it keeps you from eating horrible contracts after you over pay for a player that proves to be less than what you expected. While you may lose out on a PJ Brown or SJax you also rarely take a Jerome James type contract. The only one I can recall is Rasho, but the Spurs were fortunate to unload that contract after the '06 season. I think the situation with Rasho's contract may have made them even more frugal now.

ThomasGranger
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
An additional positive to the Spurs' FO strategy is that it keeps you from eating horrible contracts after you over pay for a player that proves to be less than what you expected. While you may lose out on a PJ Brown or SJax you also rarely take a Jerome James type contract. The only one I can recall is Rasho, but the Spurs were fortunate to unload that contract after the '06 season. I think the situation with Rasho's contract may have made them even more frugal now.

Malik's contract comes to mind as well.

ducks
08-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Good question.

It's probably about even. The problem is that the strategy is more prone to backfire when there is more money on the line. While the Spurs were able to sign players like Bowen, Barry and hopefully Udoka for less than their market value, they had some big losses such as losing out of PJ Brown for a couple million and whatever happened in the SJax fiasco.

I wonder if his agent would inform the spurs and would the spurs offerred more if they did

wildbill2u
08-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Malik's contract comes to mind as well.
I agree. Even more than Rasho, Malik's contract was an albatross--and fortunately they were able to hang it around Isaiah's neck.

Personally, I don't think Udoka is the second coming of Bruce or anything. But he may be a nice role player for the price. The Spurs are getting pretty good at finding those complimentary players without paying an arm and a leg for them.

Even Beno isn't getting much in the way of salary so he's relatively harmless capwise at the end of the bench.

Spurs Brazil
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Good question.

Spurs also won with Rasho. Wolves were offering more

Darkwaters
08-13-2007, 03:16 PM
I think it'll be great if we can sign Udoka at 2M/yr and we definitely need the infusion of youth on the wings but I still see the need for a long 3. I don't think Tim is the answer on Dirk for extended periods because he's still faster than Tim and can pull Tim out of shotblocking position.

We're going to need another forward that is mobile and at least 6'7" before Bowen declines seriously. Right now the only prospects we have are Williams and Sanikidze (maybe Mahinmi?). I hope one of them pans out.

We have several players working their way through the system that could potentially fill that role. Sanikidze and Mahinmi are obvious choices because of their length and athleticism. Although, I think that both are probably a ways away. The most obvious benefactor to that need is Tiago Splitter. Tiago could play the 5 next to Duncan but defend Dirk while Duncan guards whichever center the Mavs trot out. Bowen/Udoka could then guard Howard and we're off to the races. And while Splitter will spend next year in Europe there is still a possibility that Elson could pull off some "second year in system" magic and be a viable player (at least in games against Dallas) for the upcoming season.

But with the infusion of Udoka and Splitter (next season) we'll have some nice defensive replacements that are much more refined than your typical NBA project...they're ready to contribute from day 1.

SRJ
08-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Re: Stephen Jackson

I thought no other team offered him more than the Spurs did, at about $3-$4 million per? IIRC, he played the 2003-04 season at just over $1 million with Atlanta.

nfg3
08-13-2007, 03:27 PM
NICEEEEEE! Excellent points made, too. I was sweating this one out and I'm glad its hopefully done. Love the point about have a lockdown wing defender on the court at all times. Our second unit should now be in position to either extend leads given them by the starters or cut into any defeceit. I believe we are more flexible in our options now than before.

As for Udoka possibly being a starter I have to agree with others that talk about his offensive capabillities. Finely's offensive output I believe would surpass Udoka's based on what I know of the guy. He will be able to spell Bowen and give him more rest during the season which will help Bowen come playoff time.

This will be interesting to see how he fits into our system. I believe that he stated that he wanted to be a Bowen type player. Well he now has the chance to learn under the master.

urunobili
08-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I couldn't be happier.. finally they spent some money...

waly.mg
08-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Very nice
Finally one player

juncan
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, that blog has it listed different from the actual article. I think the blog is wrong because it's referencing the article . . . the blog writer must have just gotten confused.

I checked with Joe Freeman (the author), he said the deal is worth a little more than $2 million TOTAL, not per season.

Sounds like last year's DeShawn Stevenson.

Bruno
08-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I checked with Joe Freeman (the author), he said the deal is worth a little more than $2 million TOTAL, not per season.

Sounds like last year's DeShawn Stevenson.

Thanks.

Spurs Brazil
08-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Udoka, the Spurs and Blake in Baltimore
Posted by jfreeman August 13, 2007 12:47PM
In case you missed today's story in The Oregonian, Ime Udoka is on the verge of signing with the defending champs. I'm hearing the deal is worth a little more than $2 million over two years, and the second year probably will be a player option.

My first thought after hearing the particulars was, "Wait, couldn't the Blazers have afforded that?" Udoka and his agent, Erin Cowan, have said all along that the small forward wished to return to Portland, the franchise that allowed him to blossom from a D-Leaguer to NBA starter last season. But when Cowan told the Blazers early in free agency that one Western Conference team had offered a three-year deal for $12 million, the Blazers scoffed.

That deal -- and those dollars -- never materialized.

Cowan told me on Sunday that a couple factors hurt his client, most notably concerns about his knees (he has torn his anterior cruciate ligament twice). But I imagine teams were hesitant to unload $12 million on a player who just turned 30 and has just one season of experience as an NBA starter.

Which leads me back to the Blazers.

I imagine Udoka will thrive with the Spurs. He's a tireless worker and team-first guy who also happens to mix great perimeter defense with an excellent three-point shot. He would have been a good fit for this young Blazers team.

Just a hunch, but even with the roster limitations -- the team already has 15 players under contract for next season -- I think General Manager Kevin Pritchard would have found a way to retain Udoka for $2 million.

On an unrelated note, Reader Andrew forwarded me this story on point guard Steve Blake from The Baltimore Sun. Enjoy ...

--Freeman
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2007/08/udoka_the_spurs_and_blake_in_b.html

timvp
08-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Sounds like last year's DeShawn Stevenson.Nice job.

Good to see great Spurs fans even exist in China :)

timvp
08-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Udoka's agent is the big loser in all this. He floated some outrageous numbers that turned out to be total lies. He tried to lie Udoka into a big contract. Now the whole league knows this guy will go above and beyond the boundaries that most dishonest agents even dare venture.

Solid D
08-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Freeman said the same thing on the Ticket760 in an interview with Walter P. A little over $2M total over 2 years. He also said the deal is almost done. They were working out whether the 2nd year would be a player option or team option but that it would probably be finalized by Tuesday.

timvp
08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Freeman said the same thing on the Ticket760 in an interview with Walter P. A little over $2M total over 2 years. He also said the deal is almost done. They were working out whether the 2nd year would be a player option or team option but that it would probably be finalized by Tuesday.Thanks for the info.

Let's hope for no option or team option.

:hat

jmard5
08-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Alrighty!

CubanMustGo
08-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Udoka's agent is the big loser in all this. He floated some outrageous numbers that turned out to be total lies. He tried to lie Udoka into a big contract. Now the whole league knows this guy will go above and beyond the boundaries that most dishonest agents even dare venture.

If I was Udoka I would find a new agent.

exstatic
08-13-2007, 06:35 PM
That could be what he gets next summer. Bowen signed for less than $800K for his first year, opted out, and got a nice deal from the Spurs.

BigBeezie
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm glad the Spurs finally picked this guy up. I'm just concerned that (1) he didn't commit to us right away (2) he may only have to play here a year

The guys the Spurs pick-up usually do better over time.

Kindergarten Cop
08-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Even more different than 3yrs/$12M. :spin

Solid D
08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8mx1F3Jmvm4

For those who haven't already seen this video clip...check out the extra effort by Ime Udoka on a couple of these plays to help win a game early last season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2007, 10:44 PM
:danceclub I love the offseason now! Oh my Jesus this guy might have guaranteed us another championship. Well, not really, but we got a WHOLE lot better with this signing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2007, 10:55 PM

I'd kill myself if he isn't on the 12-man roster come start of the season.

Darkwaters
08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8mx1F3Jmvm4

For those who haven't already seen this video clip...check out the extra effort by Ime Udoka on a couple of these plays to help win a game early last season.

It was actually their season opener.

bigdog
08-13-2007, 11:05 PM
i expect beno to be bumped off the 12 man roster.....and possibly traded if they decide to sign troy hudson

SequSpur
08-13-2007, 11:14 PM
you guys are fricking hilarious.. i love how the blazers 16th man is going to actually contribute to the spurs and deserves more than the minimum wage.... :lol

It's also funny that it's the agents fault... :lmao

SequSpur
08-13-2007, 11:15 PM
i could probably twist this take into a solid new topic... :)

Solid D
08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
you guys are fricking hilarious.. i love how the blazers 16th man is going to actually contribute to the spurs and deserves more than the minimum wage.... :lol

It's also funny that it's the agents fault... :lmao

I guess the Blazers must be good then if he is their 16th man. Last year he was a starter.

T Park
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
This keeps them up with Phoenix and dallas.

IMO this really helps out against Dallas.

Now you have someone you can throw at Josh Howard AND whoever else.

Havent I heard hes stronger than Bowen?

If so, that really helps out against an Irk.

ducks
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
i could probably twist this take into a solid new topic... :)
:rolleyes

SequSpur
08-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I guess the Blazers must be good then if he is their 16th man. Last year he was a starter.

if they have 15 under contract and he was left out, that makes 16....

wtf? he started for the blazers.... after they tanked probably...

come on...........

VaSpursFan
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
This keeps them up with Phoenix and dallas.

IMO this really helps out against Dallas.

Now you have someone you can throw at Josh Howard AND whoever else.

he's heavier than bruce. bruce is 6'7 200, ime is 6'5 220.

i agree. this is a tremendous signing that will help us against teams with 2 or 3 scorers (denver, phx, dallas).

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Way.

Solid D
08-13-2007, 11:25 PM

come on...........

I knew what you meant, if that isn't obvious from my post...and yes, he started 75 of the 82 games last year at SF. Hey, I'm just here to help you to keep up to speed. :)

SequSpur
08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Bro, I am up to speed. In fact, I think the Bulletin Board's number one priority is Bowen's Replacement.

Udoka sucks. Now you're up to speed.

Solid D
08-13-2007, 11:34 PM
:lol Good Times! :downspin:

RC's Boss
08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
They signed him so they can package him, Barry, and Beno for Gerald Wallace. I just got off the phone w/ RC and this was the info relayed to me. It's all under control.

goliath
08-14-2007, 12:45 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...n.35bc859.html

Spurs: Udoka agrees to contract

Web Posted: 08/13/2007 11:11 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

Ime Udoka, a 6-foot-5 swingman whose path to the NBA was not unlike that of Bruce Bowen, has agreed to terms of a contract that will make him a Spur, according to agent Erin Cowan.

If Udoka's game continues to develop, he may eventually be the 36-year-old Bowen's successor as the Spurs' starting small forward.

Udoka played his first full season in the NBA in 2006-07, starting 75 games for the Trail Blazers. A fan favorite in Portland, Udoka averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 rebounds in 28.6 minutes a game. A Portland native, he refused to give up his dream of playing in the NBA after his college career at Portland State ended in 2000.

An unrestricted free agent with a reputation as a hard worker and tireless defender, Udoka's deal may be finalized today, according to Cowan. The Spurs' offer is believed to be worth slightly more than $2 million over the next two seasons.

Like Bowen, who went undrafted out of Cal State-Fullerton and spent time in a pro league in France and in the Continental Basketball Association, Udoka paid plenty of dues before getting to the NBA.

He played professionally in Spain and France and in minor leagues in the United States before getting a contract for a full NBA season.

After playing overseas, Udoka spent three seasons in the National Basketball Development League, first in Charleston, S.C., and finally with the Fort Worth Flyers. He earned first-team All-NBDL honors in 2005-06, when he averaged 17.1 points and 6.2 rebounds for Fort Worth.

Udoka, who turned 30 on Aug. 9, not only earned a spot on the Trail Blazers' roster last season, but was a starter by the regular-season opener. After trading for forward James Jones and signing free agents Travis Outlaw and Steve Blake, the Blazers have no room for Udoka.

Cowan, who said the Spurs had been the first team to express interest in signing Udoka, then shopped his client to several other teams, including the Heat, Mavericks and Celtics. Ultimately, Udoka chose to accept the Spurs' offer.

"We're just waiting to work out the final details," Cowan said.

When the free-agent market opened July 1, the Spurs focused their initial efforts on re-signing players from their own roster. In short order, they renewed deals with Fabricio Oberto, Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner.

Once those players were back in place, they spoke with Cowan about Udoka, one of the few available free agents from other teams in whom they showed interest. Cowan stressed that Udoka is excited about the prospect of "playing on the grand stage for the defending champions.

"He's excited to start the next phase of his career," Cowan told The (Portland) Oregonian. "He wants to be a Spur for a long time."

Udoka impressed scouts this season with his dedication to perimeter defense and work to make himself a more effective 3-point shooter. Like Bowen, Udoka is a self-made shooter.

He made 46 percent of all his shots last season and finished 19th in the NBA in 3-point percentage, making 40.1 percent.

Unlike Bowen, Udoka does not have a reputation as a defender who sometimes plays too physically.

In fact, he won the NBDL's Joel Collier Sportsmanship Award for the 2005-06 season.

Udoka's signing gives the Spurs 14 players under contract for next season, and he effectively fills the roster spot vacated when the Spurs waived James White.

[email protected]

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2007, 01:39 AM
:danceclub Official.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Am I gonna have to be the first one to do it???
Ok fine...

Ime Udoka!

Streakyshooter08
08-14-2007, 03:22 AM
:danceclub

timvp
08-14-2007, 03:27 AM
I'll still wait for the official Spurs press release. . .

However, it's looking like it finally might happen.

Leetonidas
08-14-2007, 03:27 AM
I need to make his troll now.

The Truth #6
08-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Monroe: "Unlike Bowen, Udoka does not have a reputation as a defender who sometimes plays too physically."

Bowen isn't physical. He's crafty and borderline dirty. I hope this assessment is just Monroe trying to placate namby-pamby fans. If Udoka doesn't play physically then there's no reason to get him in my opinion.

Fast Dunk
08-14-2007, 04:36 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...n.35bc859.html

I get this when clicking the link:

"Sorry, the page you requested has moved or no longer exists.
Please fill out this form to notify us. Use the following links or
Site Map below to help find the page or section you were seeking."

LOL Looks like the San Antonio Express news removed the news-article for some reason..

Does this mean that they went far ahead announcing something that might not actually happen?

:lol

koopa
08-14-2007, 04:48 AM

LOL Looks like the San Antonio Express news removed the news-article for some reason..

Does this mean that they went far ahead announcing something that might not actually happen?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA081407.Spurs.Udoka.en.35bc859.html

there you go

Leetonidas
08-14-2007, 04:49 AM

No dumbass. He copied the link incorrectly. Look up at the address bar when you click it.

raspsa
08-14-2007, 05:04 AM
Monroe: "Unlike Bowen, Udoka does not have a reputation as a defender who sometimes plays too physically."

Bowen isn't physical. He's crafty and borderline dirty. I hope this assessment is just Monroe trying to placate namby-pamby fans. If Udoka doesn't play physically then there's no reason to get him in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree that Bowen isn't really a physical defender. He just has the ability to be such a pest with good lateral movement and very busy hands with a slight bump or nudge just to get them off-balance and disrupt their rhythm.. has that ability to get into an opponent's head. I don't know what kind of defender Udoka is but I hope he's a willing learner and will pick up a few lessons from Bruce. I think the Spurs did really well selecting him and both sides are winners. :clap

AFBlue
08-14-2007, 05:27 AM
I'd kill myself if he isn't on the 12-man roster come start of the season.

Relax dude, it's Ime Udoka...not Elton Brand.

This guy COULD be a Raja Bell type that plays solid defense and takes effective shots. Even then, he's still just a role player.

Or, he COULD be a one-year wonder with respect to his shooting percentage (higher last year than ever before) who looked better than he was because he got minutes and respect on a young, bad team.

Don't get me wrong.....I'm excited that the Spurs added another role player that potentially has a long-term future with this club, especially at the price they reportedly got him....but there's no guarantee that Ime turns out to be like Bruce (who, even at his best, is still the fourth most important player on this team).

And then there's the matter of roster spots. Barry and Fin have more tenure in the league and on this team, yet one of them (according to some) will definitely lose minutes and a spot in the rotation as well as the possibility of getting put on the IL. I don't buy it. Someone might get traded to facilitate opening a spot in the rotation for Udoka, but I don't think he'll be given ANYTHING outright.

And I don't buy the "Beno to IL, Brent to 3rd String PG" thing either. Sounds like a good idea on this board to Spurs fan....but has it ever been employed by the coaching staff? Not to my knowledge. Spurs have consistently dressed out 3 PGs, and I'm not sure that's changing anytime soon. BTW, if you think Barry is a defensive liability guarding SG/SF, wait until he tries to guard small, quick PGs.

Bottom Line: Good, cheap signing. I hope he does well in training camp and EARNS a spot on the bench and regular rotation, but I don't think it'll be given outright. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-14-2007, 05:36 AM

come on...........

Get off it Sequ. He played 75 games, 29mins a game, good for 8.3pts and 3.7bds, shot 46% and 40% from 3. He sat near the END of the season.

He is a great signing if it is confirmed.

Try some optimism for once.

Bruno
08-14-2007, 06:19 AM
And I don't buy the "Beno to IL, Brent to 3rd String PG" thing either. Sounds like a good idea on this board to Spurs fan....but has it ever been employed by the coaching staff? Not to my knowledge. Spurs have consistently dressed out 3 PGs, and I'm not sure that's changing anytime soon.

There were only 2 PGs in the 05 playoff roster.

To me, having only 2 PGs on the active roster isn't a problem at all. Don't forget that with new rules about the active roster, you can change the active roster after each game during the regular season and the playoffs. If a PG is injured, the 3rd PG will be activated for the next game. I don't think Spurs will only have 2 PGs in their whole roster but I see nothing wrong with only 2 PGs on the active roster.

A lot of things could happen but if seems go down as expected (Udoka signed and Spanoulis waived), Spurs roster will be something like that :

Active roster :
PG : Parker/Vaughn
SG/SF : Ginobili/Bowen/Finley/Barry/Udoka
PF/C : Duncan/Oberto/Horry/Elson/Bonner

Inactive list :
- 3rd PG (Beno or someone else if Beno is traded)
- Marcus Williams or nobody if Williams is cut before the start of the season.
- A PF/C, likely Mahinmi.

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2007, 06:41 AM
There were only 2 PGs in the 05 playoff roster.

To me, having only 2 PGs on the active roster isn't a problem at all. Don't forget that with new rules about the active roster, you can change the active roster after each game during the regular season and the playoffs. If a PG is injured, the 3rd PG will be activated for the next game. I don't think Spurs will only have 2 PGs in their whole roster but I see nothing wrong with only 2 PGs on the active roster.

A lot of things could happen but if seems go down as expected (Udoka signed and Spanoulis waived), Spurs roster will be something like that :

Active roster :
PG : Parker/Vaughn
SG/SF : Ginobili/Bowen/Finley/Barry/Udoka
PF/C : Duncan/Oberto/Horry/Elson/Bonner

Inactive list :
- 3rd PG (Beno or someone else if Beno is traded)
- Marcus Williams or nobody if Williams is cut before the start of the season.
- A PF/C, likely Mahinmi.

IMO we dont need a 3rd PG...

barry and ginoboli can PG during stretches of the game if needed

a lineup of td/bowen/udoka/gino/parker = small ball is out!!!! , we can always have horry/finley/barry/oberto on stand by for smallball....

this allows us to have 2 wing defenders to play with the other team if they got a 2 good wing players....

didnt udoka burn us last season in a couple of games...

yavozerb
08-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I found this on Ohio.com website and hopefully this is the destination for Beno. It would make sense for both clubs. Beno for Wesley (retire) or trade exemption.

It sounds like David Wesley is going to retire. His contract, as has been reported, is only partially guaranteed ($250,000 of $1.75 million.). Unlike some veteran contracts, which become fully guaranteed in August or September, Wesley’s doesn’t until Jan. 10. So the Cavs will have until then to trade the contract, which can be used to reduce another team’s salary. So they are not in a rush to make a move with it. However, their $2.2 million trade exception expires in mid-October. This is also an empty roster spot and could be filled with a guy like Houston. Or not filled at all before the season, the Cavs are up against the luxury tax and they have lots of guards.

Ohio.com

ace3g
08-14-2007, 12:21 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8404/udokaimepor070127copyiv4.jpg
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4959/udoka2copyhj0.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1148/udoka4xn0.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I found this on Ohio.com website and hopefully this is the destination for Beno. It would make sense for both clubs. Beno for Wesley (retire) or trade exemption.

It sounds like David Wesley is going to retire. His contract, as has been reported, is only partially guaranteed ($250,000 of $1.75 million.). Unlike some veteran contracts, which become fully guaranteed in August or September, Wesley’s doesn’t until Jan. 10. So the Cavs will have until then to trade the contract, which can be used to reduce another team’s salary. So they are not in a rush to make a move with it. However, their $2.2 million trade exception expires in mid-October. This is also an empty roster spot and could be filled with a guy like Houston. Or not filled at all before the season, the Cavs are up against the luxury tax and they have lots of guards.

Ohio.com

beno+bonner+barry for gibson and exception+wesleys contract...do it ferry

Supergirl
08-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Awesome. Glad it got done.

RC's Boss
08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/8404/udokaimepor070127copyiv4.jpg
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4959/udoka2copyhj0.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1148/udoka4xn0.jpg
Pretty good job, but is that a WNBA ball in the last pic :lol

kolko
08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Pretty good job, but is that a WNBA ball in the last pic :lol
D-League ball

Admidave50
08-14-2007, 05:28 PM
great news, sure he will fit well with the Spurs!

Solid D
08-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Chuck Miketinac on Max Sports tonight said that there is still no word on Udoka. Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, did not answer his phone when called and RC Buford told Max Sports that they have not agreed to terms with anyone at this time. Buford went on to say that they continue to explore their options.

Now what does that mean you might ask? It may mean the Spurs are wanting the "team option" and not giving in...or it may mean that another agent has thrown some stuff out there for RC and Pop to think about.

Leetonidas
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Chuck Miketinac on Max Sports tonight said that there is still no word on Udoka. Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, did not answer his phone when called and RC Buford told Max Sports that they have not agreed to terms with anyone at this time. Buford went on to say that they continue to explore their options.

Now what does that mean you might ask? It may mean the Spurs are wanting the "team option" and not giving in...or it may mean that another agent has thrown some stuff out there for RC and Pop to think about.
:pctoss :madrun :bang

smrattler
08-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Someone told me Fox Sports says the same. NOT a done deal. Frick!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
:pctoss This better fucking happen.

yourtehclay
08-14-2007, 10:55 PM
The signing has been noted on the front page of nba.com

ploto
08-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Maybe it means some other team is now going to offer him more money- which may have been his agent's intent all along. It surely seems like someone would give the guy more than 2 yrs/$2M.

Solid D
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
The signing has been noted on the front page of nba.com

Look deeper. It's simply links to Mike Monroe's article in today's Express-News.

Fast Dunk
08-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Lol

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2007, 11:25 PM
hey fellas

DEAL OR NO DEAL??? HAHAHAHHAAHHAA

Fast Dunk
08-14-2007, 11:28 PM
No Deal Lol

Leetonidas
08-14-2007, 11:40 PM
No Deal Lol
How's Cleveland's offseason going?

Switchman
08-14-2007, 11:40 PM
PHX or Dallas could afford this guy just to keep him away from us?

T Park
08-14-2007, 11:46 PM
shizzit....

Fast Dunk
08-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Rumor has it that the Mavs are going to sign him and are close to an agreement and are offering more than the measly 2M/season that both Portland was offering and the Spurs current offer.

I found this on Inside Hoops forum.

Fast Dunk
08-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Mike Monroe from the EN was just quoting what he read on the Oregonian Live Newspaper, and this was the reason the article was quickly removed from the Express-News

Beno Udrih
08-14-2007, 11:51 PM
How's Cleveland's offseason going?
He/she is not a Cleveland fan.

Fast Dunk
08-14-2007, 11:52 PM
He/she is not a Cleveland fan.

But you are.

Leetonidas
08-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Rumor has it that the Mavs are going to sign him and are close to an agreement and are offering more than the measly 2M/season that both Portland was offering and the Spurs current offer.

I found this on Inside Hoops forum.
Some dude named "NBABaller" with unnamed "sources" says it so it must be true! :rolleyes

Solid D
08-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Mike Monroe from the EN was just quoting what he read on the Oregonian Live Newspaper, and this was the reason the article was quickly removed from the Express-News

Clown. It wasn't removed. It was in the paper version and it's still there now on-line.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA081407.Spurs.Udoka.en.35bc859.html

timvp
08-15-2007, 12:11 AM

:pctoss

Udoka's agent is lying trash. Even with Udoka's agent saying it was a done deal, I still wanted to wait for true verification.

This is why.

SequSpur
08-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Udoka isn't signed and you dipshits are p... e ing... all over each other... :lmao

what a bunch of dumb asses... :lol

Fast Dunk
08-15-2007, 12:12 AM
:pctoss

Udoka's agent is lying trash. Even with Udoka's agent saying it was a done deal, I still wanted to wait for true verification.

This is why.

Lamond Murray Deja vu?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Lmao Fast Dunk is back to make fun of us and his team hasn't done anything either.

timvp
08-15-2007, 12:15 AM
User Error

SequSpur
08-15-2007, 12:18 AM
The Spurs can't even sign the Trailblazers 16th man... :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Then root for another team.

SequSpur
08-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Then root for another team.

like who? there are only 2 decent teams besides the spurs, the rest of the nba sucks....

watered down product... fools like Bonner are getting 3 yr deals at 3 mil a year.

Fast Dunk
08-15-2007, 12:28 AM
like who? there are only 2 decent teams besides the spurs, the rest of the nba sucks....

watered down product... fools like Bonner are getting 3 yr deals at 3 mil a year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 12:30 AM
The Cavs aren't one of those decent teams.

T Park
08-15-2007, 12:44 AM
your wife know your up late?

I bet shes breaking your plastic golf clubs right now.

BeerIsGood!
08-15-2007, 01:00 AM
If I was on the beach at So Padre right now the last damn thing I'd be doing is trolling this board... go get yourself laid, drunk, or something.

tp time
08-15-2007, 04:35 AM
udoka, 30 years old..pfff....

ploto
08-15-2007, 07:59 AM

This is why.
It has been odd with him-- as the original rumors were about 3 years and $12M coming from a WC team-- then 3 years and $9M from the Spurs- which was quickly removed from that site.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 08:06 AM
You're a stupid bandwaggoning fucktard, Sequ...

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Seems odd that the Spurs wouldn't be moving to deny false reports. I don't know that I'd allow an agent to be telling the papers that his player had signed with my team; it could influence decisions by other players.

ploto
08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
According to this thread, RC denied it.

AFBlue
08-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Seems odd that the Spurs wouldn't be moving to deny false reports. I don't know that I'd allow an agent to be telling the papers that his player had signed with my team; it could influence decisions by other players.

Not odd for this FO.

They're playing it cool. They don't feel any more pressure to get a deal done now, than they did three weeks ago when the agent was pressuring a bigger deal.

This deal will get done and get done on the timeline that the Spurs are comfortable with. It's apparent by the reported $$$ involved that the Spurs are the only real suitor for Udoka left and that Udoka's preference is clearly to play with SA.

Perhaps the Spurs are looking to finalize the buyout/waiving of Spanoulis before committing the $$$ to Udoka. Or perhaps they're exploring the trading of Beno Udrih.

Bottom Line: This deal will get done because there's mutual interest and the $$$ aren't that far apart....but it may take more time.

AFBlue
08-15-2007, 08:46 AM

He denied that a deal was done, not that a deal was in work....

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but it sounds like he just denied it when asked about it. There's not much urgency there. There are certainly nuances that escape me, but I'd be pissed at an agent pulling bullshit like that.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Not odd for this FO.

They're playing it cool. They don't feel any more pressure to get a deal done now, than they did three weeks ago when the agent was pressuring a bigger deal.

This deal will get done and get done on the timeline that the Spurs are comfortable with. It's apparent by the reported $$$ involved that the Spurs are the only real suitor for Udoka left and that Udoka's preference is clearly to play with SA.

Perhaps the Spurs are looking to finalize the buyout/waiving of Spanoulis before committing the $$$ to Udoka. Or perhaps they're exploring the trading of Beno Udrih.

Bottom Line: This deal will get done because there's mutual interest and the $$$ aren't that far apart....but it may take more time.
Yeah, that makes sense. Jumping to deny the report just makes negotiations harder, and there's no point in that, particularly if you are holding all the cards.

timvp
08-15-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't know how a contract can be "done" except for deciding whether the second year is a team option or a player option. That's a huge difference. That second year is more than half of the contract.

Either this agent is the worst agent of all-time or Udoka is his one and only client and he's trying to use all the tricks in the book.

Kori Ellis
08-15-2007, 09:15 AM
He denied that a deal was done, not that a deal was in work....

But no one from the Spurs has ever even admitted that a deal was close or in the works. Right?

I think it is going to happen. But Udoka's agent has blown a lot of smoke this summer, so who knows.

thispego
08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
lol, what a hackneyed act

Mr. Body
08-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Either this agent is the worst agent of all-time or Udoka is his one and only client and he's trying to use all the tricks in the book.

I seem to remember one of the articles saying he's a first-time agent and Udoka is his only client.

AFBlue
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
But no one from the Spurs has ever even admitted that a deal was close or in the works. Right?

Right, but I was only commenting on what had been denied.

It's true they haven't admitted to a contract being in work, but they haven't denied that fact either. RC has simply denied that a deal had been completed.

Infer what you will.....

callo1
08-15-2007, 12:40 PM
You're a stupid bandwaggoning fucktard, Sequ...

Without a doubt.

phxspurfan
08-15-2007, 12:47 PM
If it's on the front page of nba.com, I'm pretty sure it's a done deal.

smeagol
08-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Sequ, time to go bowling

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/udoka_030813.html

thispego
08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
ehhhhh

BeerIsGood!
08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
With or without him the Spurs will be fine and poised to win again next near with a Championship squad. More than likely he'll sign as soon as his agent decides to stop playing "Arli$$" and get his guy a contract before he pisses everyone off. The Spurs hold the cards, so there's no worry from their end.

jag
08-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Udoka isn't signed and you dipshits are p... e ing... all over each other... :lmao

what a bunch of dumb asses... :lol

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/dirtdaddypimpslap/attention_whore.jpg

you're also one of the worst posters on this forum...i'll go ahead and say your just as bad as all the phoenix trolls.

SequSpur
08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
you're also one of the worst posters on this forum...i'll go ahead and say your just as bad as all the phoenix trolls.

Thanks!

Indazone
08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
He's not signed cause Vspan is about to become a Spur

Solid D
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM

You don't really think Sequ would take that bait do you?

gtownspur
08-15-2007, 04:38 PM
sdfsdafsdfafasdfasdf

thispego
08-15-2007, 04:48 PM
hahahahahahaha

Bruno
08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
If Udoka doesn't sign with Spurs today, I will start wondering what happen : another team wanting him (like with Salmons last year) ? Spurs negotiating hard with his agent ? Spurs not wanting him because they have found a better option ?

:spin

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
:wtf Is this real?

Bruno
08-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Yes, Udoka has signed with Lakers

in 2003. :)

Mister Sinister
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Maybe it's another Ime Udoka?

T Park
08-15-2007, 05:05 PM
yeah it says there they signed the 26 year old Udoka. Dudes 30 now. So either they typoed that, or thats from 03, and if Bruno thnks it is, then it is.

Leetonidas
08-15-2007, 05:11 PM
yeah it says there they signed the 26 year old Udoka. Dudes 30 now. So either they typoed that, or thats from 03, and if Bruno thnks it is, then it is.
That and the fact that they mention the 2003 season a couple times.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 06:22 PM
I knew somebody wouldn't read the whole thing. :lol

Oscar DeLa
08-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't know what it is

but

this guy sucks

Switchman
08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Dude should at least come here for a year and learn from Sensei Bowen.

phxspurfan
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Oops, guess we were a bit off the mark.
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/1650/imagerh4.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 07:10 PM

ace3g
08-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I wonder if the delay has to do with Troy Hudson working out on Monday, the VSpan situation, and what to do with either Beno and/or Barry

Fast Dunk
08-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Udoka SUCKS!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 11:44 PM
No he DOESN'T!

Leetonidas
08-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Udoka SUCKS!
Pretty much like everyone on Cleveland outside of LeBron...but then again, you're not a Cavs fan. You're just a stupid lame troll.

anakha
08-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Udoka SUCKS!

Fast Dunk SWALLOWS! :lol

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 08:14 AM
At least he's scheduled for a physical today. Udoka, that is.