PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you tip less

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-13-2007, 01:47 PM
I consider myself to be a very good tipper, my parents always taught me since I was little that you always leave a good tip for good service, so I have been doing that since about the time I was 10 and needed to take a cab or tipping the skycap at the airport, but one thing that really effects what I leave at a restaurant is when my drink goes for about 10 minutes of being empty and the waiter or waitress lets it stay that way. I understand when the place is packed and there's people running everywhere, but other than that I go from leaving a 20-25% tip to about 10%, but usually if theres water in my glass I'm pretty happy with the service, anything that particularly gets to you when you're out eating?

CuckingFunt
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
For me it has more to do with attitude and politeness than it does any particular action.

Mister Sinister
08-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Needlessly slow service, and more impoliteness than a shitty day would cause are about the only things that make me tip less. I usually tip 15 to 20.

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Needlessly slow service, and more impoliteness than a shitty day would cause are about the only things that make me tip less. I usually tip 15 to 20.

When I was working off tips and stuff I don't think I once ever let the customer know if I was having a shitty day or wanted to stab em in the face with a popcorn scooper. More often than not I would go in the back and punch the fridge or something then come back out and pretend everything was fine. Sometimes I get the feeling from wait staff that they would rather not serve me because they think a younger hispanic kid is going to stiff them on the tip or something, I fucking hate that.

Spurminator
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
The last time I can remember leaving a low tip was when we had waited for a long time for our check (after an already poor dinner experience) and finally had to ask another waiter for it. He even processed it and brough the receipt out. We never even saw our original server again before we left.

Mister Sinister
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
When I was working off tips and stuff I don't think I once ever let the customer know if I was having a shitty day or wanted to stab em in the face with a popcorn scooper. More often than not I would go in the back and punch the fridge or something then come back out and pretend everything was fine. Sometimes I get the feeling from wait staff that they would rather not serve me because they think a younger hispanic kid is going to stiff them on the tip or something, I fucking hate that.
Interesting. I work in a deli. I *wish* I could get tips. I make my customers laugh, what with my bad puns and such.

Nbadan
08-13-2007, 02:05 PM
When the waiter flirts with my date.....

CuckingFunt
08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
When the waiter flirts with my date.....That's a good one.

I've also had several waiters/servers "accidentally" slowly drag their arm across my boobs when putting a plate down, and that's a pretty good way to lower a tip.

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-13-2007, 02:10 PM
That's a good one.

I've also had several waiters/servers "accidentally" slowly drag their arm across my boobs when putting a plate down, and that's a pretty good way to lower a tip.

Gives stiffing the waiter a new meaning huh

Mister Sinister
08-13-2007, 02:11 PM
That's a good one.

Yeah, that'll do it....if I'm being waited on by someone I hated in high school, I tip shitty. Petty, vindictive, spiteful. I know.

Fillmoe
08-13-2007, 02:14 PM
correcting my pronunciation while im ordering.

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
correcting my pronunciation while im ordering.

How the hell do you fuck up BIG MAC :wtf
Kidding, but I don't think a waiter has ever done that to anyone I've been out with or myself, and I know i've butchered a few words

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Sometimes I get the feeling from wait staff that they would rather not serve me because they think a younger hispanic kid is going to stiff them on the tip or something, I fucking hate that.

If I feel that might be a problem, I usually try to address wait staff by their names and I make sure to speak with a manager if the service is great.

Mister Sinister
08-13-2007, 02:21 PM
If I feel that might be a problem, I usually try to address wait staff by their names and I make sure to speak with a manager if the service is great.
I do that, too....ever since I started working in the deli of the grocery store I work at, I've got a new outlook on people in the food service industry. Like, I'm not saying I was an unbearable prick to waiters/servers in the past, but I address them by their names, ask for a comment card if the service was good, and all that good stuff.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2007, 02:29 PM
I tip 25-40% no matter what. It would have to been god aweful service for me to stiff someone, they'd have to assult me or spit on my grandmother or something...

I know how unbelievably annoying the general public is. I fully understand that every 3rd person that they serve has unrealistic demands and an even worse attitutude because somehow they think that they are better than the person serving them. I sypathized with anyone who works with the public because its impossible to please most people. Just because these people hate their lives or are unhappy with themselves this somehow gives them a right to shit on anyone thats there to help please and serve them. Sevice is an endless hole of shit and attitude.

So if I don't get stellar service its likely not the servers fault but the fault of the endless amout of assholes that stroll through the door and make this hard working saps day basically unbearable. I never stiff.

PizzaDeliveryGuy
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Not following exact directions has cost me a tip.

Spurminator
08-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I tip 25-40% no matter what. It would have to been god aweful service for me to stiff someone, they'd have to assult me or spit on my grandmother or something...

I know how unbelievably annoying the general public is. I fully understand that every 3rd person that they serve has unrealistic demands and an even worse attitutude because somehow they think that they are better than the person serving them. I sypathized with anyone who works with the public because its impossible to please most people. Just because these people hate their lives or are unhappy with themselves this somehow gives them a right to shit on anyone thats there to help please and serve them. Sevice is an endless hole of shit and attitude.

So if I don't get stellar service its likely not the servers fault but the fault of the endless amout of assholes that stroll through the door and make this hard working saps day basically unbearable. I never stiff.

I think if we required all 18 year olds to work on a restaurant waitstaff for three months, things would be a lot different.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2007, 03:07 PM
I think if we required all 18 year olds to work on a restaurant waitstaff for three months, things would be a lot different.We'd sure have a lot more tolerant respectful society if we could. I'm appauled at the shit I hear daily and I can only imagine how bad it is for most of these guys/gals, no wonder the high turnover rate for an otherwise potentially good paying job.

thispego
08-13-2007, 03:09 PM
I hate it when your drink is empty and has been for a while, then you see your waiter across the restaurant talking/laughing/joking around with another waiter.......

tlongII
08-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Ugly people.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
When she won't let me make change out of her G-string.

TheTruth
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Usually takes a lot for me to get really pissed. Mandy and I were at a restaurant and the waitress brought out our check with the food. The place wasn't very busy, and I got pretty angry over that. Empty drinks, dirty plates, and orders not being taken promptly usually don't bother me unless it gets to be too long a wait.

tlongII
08-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Usually takes a lot for me to get really pissed. Mandy and I were at a restaurant and the waitress brought out our check with the food. The place wasn't very busy, and I got pretty angry over that. Empty drinks, dirty plates, and orders not being taken promptly usually don't bother me unless it gets to be too long a wait.

Why would that make you angry? I think that's good service.

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Why would that make you angry? I think that's good service.

It happens to me a lot and it's like they're trying to push you out of the door as fast as they can, then it's also like you feel weird about ordering desert or anything like that

JoeChalupa
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I very rarely do not tip. You have to be real bad not to get a tip. To me a good attitude and a smile go a long way with me. Only when I get a sense of "I don't care" attitude do I not tip.

PM5K
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Drink is important to me, I often need two to three refills with a meal, and I don't like to eat if I don't have drink to wash it down with, I think it has something to do with my mother not letting me have drink until I finished my food as a child, if I don't have drink I get irritated, and when that happens tips shrink.

angel_luv
08-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I work as a hostess and have a lot of server friends so I understand what tips mean to a waiter/ waitress.

Because of that, I tip 15% and add extra, the amount depending on how great the service is- how prompt and pleasant the person is.

If a server is just awful- never present and/ or extremely rude, then I only give them 10%.

mrsmaalox
08-13-2007, 05:33 PM
That's a good one.

I've had a waiter drop a carving knife down the back of my dress. Didn't affect the tip though he gave me free dessert! My husband did get angry once at the Saltgrass when the manager kept coming out to talk to us and would crouch down next to my chair so his face was at perfect boob level; unfortunately it was the waiter who got stiffed. The only thing that makes consider lowering the tip is when the wait person refers to us as "You guys"; I don't know why but I really hate that.

timvp
08-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I tip on a sliding scale of 1% to 100%. Having a set percentage is too boring. I rarely tip low as long as there is some semblance of effort. But if there's no effort, I'm not afraid to tip 1% and make sure they notice I only tipped that much.

On the other hand, if you just STFU and try, I usually tip pretty well.

PM5K
08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Man I remember one time at the Chillis this chick had the biggest breasts that were just hanging out everywhere, and she kept having to lean over to give us our plates or refill our drinks, I'm pretty sure she got a big tip...

BigBeezie
08-13-2007, 08:56 PM
1) Slow service

2) Bad attitude

3) Waiting too long for the check

ZStomp
08-13-2007, 09:31 PM
http://www.s-cnet.ne.jp/~scn01448/buscemiwk/images/mr.pink.jpg

"Do you know what this is? Its the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses."

marini martini
08-13-2007, 09:52 PM
When I get white gravy, when I asked for brown gravy on my chicken fried steak :madrun

ploto
08-13-2007, 09:55 PM
I am a generous tipper- because I can be; because I never had to work as a waitress and I am grateful; and because my bill is usually not that much. And it can have its perks, as well. I have only ever had one bar that I went to- not a big bar person- and I tipped well the first couple of times that I went there. I never paid to drink there again. I have regular places to eat and when you tip well they get to know you.

slayermin
08-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Someone I know told me that I should only tip the same amount as the sales tax. I was like, that's only 9% or so. :lol

T-Pain
08-13-2007, 11:12 PM
great thread for me since i wait tables, lol!

The sone
08-13-2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.s-cnet.ne.jp/~scn01448/buscemiwk/images/mr.pink.jpg

"Do you know what this is? Its the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses."

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/908/rock5yn9.jpg

YEAAAH!!! FUCK EM'!!! today some emo bitchboi was flirting with girls at work while im waiting for my fucking food...i wanted to bitchslap his stoopid haircut off his fat fag head...but there was a cop there so....

conversekid
08-14-2007, 12:08 AM
I start with a baseline of 15%. As the service is good, the percentage goes up. As the service is bad, the percentage goes down.

The sone
08-14-2007, 01:03 AM
I start with a baseline of 15%. As the service is good, the percentage goes up. As the service is bad, the percentage goes down.

me too...i call it the "tip-o-meter"...and, sadly, it tends to go down. i usually start at 20%. i rarely give it.

BigBeezie
08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
I'm pretty laid-back....so it's hard for me not to tip well.

ATRAIN
08-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Even if the service is bad i still do tip, however if they absolutely blow then ill jut give them like a couple of bucks depending on my overall ticket.

Jimcs50
08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Attitude is number one. Lousy attitude= lousy tip.

Seeing your wait person standing around talking to co workers while you are either in need of assistance or have a question is a huge pet peeve of mine. I worked in restaurants from ages of 13 to 27, and waited tables for 9 yrs off and on and I was damn good at it, so I expect the same treatment that I gave my customers. If I get great service and the wait person acts like he/she is interested in giving us great service, then I tip 20-25%.

Melmart1
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
This reminds me of the thread eriks started awhile back about people who gulp their tea down to get more and then don't touch it. It quickly devolved into an argument over what makes you lessen the tip you give. That thread was funny:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46740&highlight=eriks

TDMVPDPOY
08-14-2007, 09:48 AM
asians rarely tip :D:D:D and its not common down under in australia...

i only tip the silver coins and any cash or gold coins i used as poker money or petrol money :D

missmyzte
08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I tip well, especially if it's someplace that I frequent. I had a restaurant back home that I went to at least once a week, same waitress (Becky) every time. She got at least a 50% tip every time.

One of my pet peeves is when I've just received my food and the waitress drops the bill at my table. Giving you the bill is like saying, "I'm done with you." I just started eating!

ALVAREZ6
08-14-2007, 07:51 PM

:tu :clap :hungry:

They can serve me anytime, and anywhere.

L.I.T
08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
For me a lot of it comes down to expectations for the restaurant. I basically always tip something, it's just the right thing to do. That being said, I always give more leeway for delays, missed orders and the like at everyday restaurants and hole in the walls than I do at more fine dining establishments.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-14-2007, 08:48 PM
This reminds me of the thread eriks started awhile back about people who gulp their tea down to get more and then don't touch it. It quickly devolved into an argument over what makes you lessen the tip you give. That thread was funny:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46740&highlight=eriks

Ah, the insults being tossed in that thread...

Melmart1
08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Ah, the insults being tossed in that thread...
I wonder what happened to pache. She must be choking down her dry-ass food and yelling at her waiter to behave somewhere.

ALVAREZ6
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
*BUMP* this pic again

I love them

SpursWoman
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Attitude is number one. Lousy attitude= lousy tip.

That's probably the only thing that would make me alter my tip, and even then it'd have to be pretty damn bad.

CharlieMac
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Slow service is usually the managers fault. They get so greedy in trying to over seat a section, they don't give a shit what the waiter makes, as long as the sales look good at the end of the night. So if it's bad service, I'll let it slide unless I see some crackhead talking about their weekend at the wait station instead of refilling my tea.

The Jim's on Fred. Road is by far the worst when it comes to that.