PDA

View Full Version : Interview With Scola

duncan228
08-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Does this belong here or in NBA Central? I never know in the off season! :lol

http://www.basketballforum.com/houston-rockets/372364-interview-scola.html

Reporter Jia Fan reports from Argentina.

Situated in the Southern Hemisphere, it is now winter in Argentina; it had been raining continuously for the past few days. This had made this beautiful sunny afternoon even particularly more precious. Sitting in the cafe at the top floor of the Sante Fe Holiday Inn Hotel, sunlight was scattered upon the face of Luis Scola, which gave us a very calm and tranquil look, completely different from what we used to know him as a (fiery and physical) basketball player on the court. The entire hotel was unusually quiet, as it was when most of the basketball players were taking their afternoon nap/rest. But here Luis Scola was actually patiently receiving almost an hour of interview from us, which made us feel somewhat restless (and guilty). Luckily, in the final of a 4-Nation tournament that very same night, Luis Scola still managed to lead his team to beat the Spanish national team.

Its captain, Luis Scola, had led this “new” Argentina national team to 3 wins in 6 days, and lifted the trophies for Li Ning Cup and the 4-Nations tournament consecutively. Without Emanuel Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Andres Nocioni and Walter Hermann, Luis Scola’s Argentina team still managed to beat the Spanish national team twice on their way to win the tournament. The moment he lofted the trophy of the tournament, there was only a slight smile on his face. The real championship trophies he craves are (waiting for him to collect) in USA and China (Note: the 2008 Olympics).

TITAN: First of all, congratulation to you finally realize your long-cherished dream landing into a NBA team. It seemed Rick Adelman likes you very much and thought that you are a great fit to his tactical systems. How do you feel upon hearing/learning that?

Scola: Ha Ha Ha, yes. Rick has high level of trust in me, and that is very good. In fact, we have only met and exchanged conversation for about 10 minutes, and we have yet to discuss specifically my role and how he wants to utlize me. But I just feel great. His (unreserved) trust on me is simply unbelievable. I think I need to whole-heartedly give my best to demonstrate that what he said about me is right, and that I’m not going to disappoint him. Therefore, I really have to play extremely diligent to prove myself.

TITAN: Do you know Yao Ming? Have you played against him before?

Scola: Of course, I know him. We have played against each other in the 2004 Athens Olympics and the 2002 World Championship.

TITAN: So, how do you feel playing against him?

Scola: WOW !! He is simply inconceivably ridiculous! Everybody knows that he is a great player. But surprisingly, given his height, he still can shoot such accurately and can move very fast. I can only attempt to front him. His performance was just exaggeratedly dumbfounding and he was simply dominating.

TITAN: So in the new season, you will join the Houston Rockets and become team mate of Yao Ming. You and Yao Ming will form partnership in the interior. What does it mean to you?

Scola: I believe to every of Yao Ming’s team mate, to become his team mate will simplify a lot of problems. As far as I’m concerned, it is also the same. He is such an outstanding player, and whenever he is on court, he will just attract all the attention of the defenders, and thus, the pressure (and attention) of his team mates will be much less. Therefore to be his team mate and playing together with him definitely will be something great.

TITAN: You knew that Chuck Hayes had just extended his contract with the Houston Rockets. He plays the same position as yours. So in your own opinion, between you and Chuck Hayes, who will get the starting power forward position?

Scola: I don’t want to further discuss this question. I have never played together with him before, but I have reviewed several of his playing videos. I like the way he collaborated with his team mates, and he is one of such players that gives his best on every game. We are lucky that we still have him on our team, and it means a lot more to us. I don’t think we should care on who should start and who should play back-up.

TITAN: Ginobili once said Scola is the King of Argentina. What do you think?

Scola (Laughing): Hmmm he did say something like this. I’m very grateful, but I thought that title is really just too overwhelmingly big for me. But I like that title very much, as it gives me motivation and direction to strive on diligently.

TITAN: Then who do you think is the King of Argentina?

Scola: Perhaps it is Manu himself (with a wicked smile on his face)? That is almost for certain.

TITAN: Let’s draw an analogy; when playing on court, if offense is your right hand, and defense is your left hand so to speak, so as far as you’re concerned, which hand of yours is more powerful?

Scola: Definitely the right hand. I don’t have any doubts on that. I’m unusually right-wing!! (Smile)

TITAN: Then who is your most favorite active NBA player?

Scola: Amongst all active NBA players, I like Tim Duncan most. He is really perfect. Actually there are a lot of NBA players I like, but if you ask me who is the one I most like, then it has to be Tim Duncan.

TITAN: So you were picked in the draft 5 years ago by the San Antonio Spurs, but you never played a game for them. And right after you, Fabricio Oberto was drafted by the Spurs (in 2005), and he immediately had his own position in the team………

Scola: No! No! No! I have been longing intensively to be playing in the NBA. And it certainly sucks to see time just flew by so rapidly. But I certainly am not jealous or grudged the successes of others. I felt so happy for Fabricio Oberto; he certainly helped his team to win the championship. I am also very happy myself that I finally managed to make it to NBA.

TITAN: Since you mentioned the championship, let’s chat about Houston Rockets’ road to the championship. The Rockets has Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, 2 NBA All Stars players, and other excellent players like Shane Battier. And now you have also joined. So in your own opinion, is the Houston Rockets still very far from becoming the NBA champion?

Scola: (I think) very quickly (we shall become champion). But no team can easily win the NBA championship. We need to play whole-heartedly (as a team) right from the preseason throughout the regular season. You should know that just gathering a bunch of outstanding players will not necessarily bring you the championship (automatically); there are lots of other complex factors; but I also think that it is a pre-condition that a championship team is formed by many outstanding players. To summarize, I really think we can quickly ascend to the pinnacle…. Yes….extremely quick.

TITAN: Now, your dream finally came true and you have really joined a NBA team and own more than US$ 3 million contract. But very soon, you will have to face the challenges from some of the best of the best players coming from all over the world. Do you feel the pressure at all?

Scola: Yes, I do feel the pressure, but at the same time, I thought it is a good thing. People (and fans) hold lofty expectation about you as well as high expectation about your team, and as far as I’m concerned, it is a good thing. I thought there is nothing worthy to be worrying about and there should be nothing to be worried. I have full confidence (in myself), and therefore I simply will not worry about such so-called “pressure”.

TITAN: The Argentine national team won the Olympic championship in the previous Olympic. As its team captain, which country you think is Argentina’s biggest threat and opponent coming next year in Beijing?

Scola: Well many countries will have the strength and capabilities to challenge us. A lot of them have grown and developed with such a speed surpassing all our imagination. Personally, I believe maybe next year offers a good opportunity for China. The Chinese national players are so young, and with a lot of potentials and talents, and they are also very tall; and they have become more balanced in each position with addition of players. I really think when the time comes, China should be able to get results and improve on its position. But of course, if you talk about winning the championship, then you just can’t write off the USA team. In fact the very first question we should ask ourselves is how can we beat them? And (besides USA) there is certainly Greece; they are also a force that could not be easily reckoned with. As to other teams, it is very difficult (for me) to predict now.

TITAN: Now let’s have some more relaxed topics. Are you married? Do you have brothers and sisters?

Scola: Yes, I’m married, and I already have 2 kids; all boys, Tomas and Piero (?). I have two elder sisters.

TITAN: So will you move to live in Houston immediately? What is the latest progress about it?

Scola: I will move into Houston, but it has to be waited until after the FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas (Note: August 22 to September 2).

TITAN: So are you family members also going to USA together with you?

Scola: Of course! But I will go first, because I must first find a house, and after everything is prepared and settled, then I will move them in to live together with me.

TITAN: So you have not found the right house yet in Houston?

Scola: Yes, I only spent 3 days in Houston when I signed the contract. Although I had looked at several houses already, I’m not satisfied with them. I think I will have to spend more time to look for a few more options before I can decide.

TITAN: Why did you choose Number 4 (for your jersey)?

Scola: Well, my father used to have that number. I just inherited it from him.

TITAN: What nicknames do you have?

Scola: I do not have any nicknames. HA HA HA. I always use my real name.

TITAN: What do you usually do in your leisure time? You know, many NBA players of your age like to play computer games or something like that.

Scola: Well, I used to like playing computer games, watching TV and surfing on the Internet. But right after the birth of my 2 sons, I started to devote all my leisure time to look after them as far as I possibly can. Basketball is taking up more and more of my time, and sometimes for long period, you will have very little time and opportunity to be with your family. Therefore I am willing to spend all my leisure time with my family, and thereafter, my life has completely changed.

Even right after our interview, the amiable Luis Scola had not forgotten to express sympathy for our ultra lengthy long haul flight. He said he fully understood the painful feeling of such flights. He described that painful feeling as “sitting there very much like a stupid bull ”, very Argentine style in his description. Just like the sunshine (on this day of the interview), Luis Scola makes everyone around him feel warm and comfortable

Cherry
08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Luis interview >>>>>>>> Beno interview

...Scola traded to Division rival for Nothing... :depressed

Oh, Gee!!
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Scola!!!! Oh, Noes!!!!!

ObiwanGinobili
08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
damn Scola is awesome.

Great post dude :tu Thanks for the article.
sigh.. just another thing to cry in my wheaties about.

urunobili
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
damn man.. i wanted this guy on our team SO badly... :pctoss

Reggie Miller
08-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Scola is either:

a) Sincere and dedicated to team play;
b) An apt student who has observed Ginobili deal with the press; or
c) Some combination of the above.

My best guess is C.

Bottom line: I thought Scola had the best chance to succeed in the NBA by playing with Ginobili and Oberto on the Spurs. Even if he never amounts to much for the Rockets, I will wonder what he could have done in SA.

diego
08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
the spanish-to-chinese-to-english translation is pretty funny

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
08-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Damn...it is better than the Beno interview :lol

I wish we got him.

it'll make Houston match ups something to look forward to in 2008. I'm sure Manu and Fabs are glad he got in the NBA

jay014
08-15-2007, 07:38 AM
:pctoss can we stop talking about this guy already! He's a Rocket now.

WalterBenitez
08-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Luis interview >>>>>>>> Beno interview

Luis is taller than Beno

Spurs Dynasty 21
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Spurs starting 5:

Parker
Manu
Bowen
Scola
Duncan

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm done crying now. Well it'll still be fun to watch him play well. (except against the Spurs)

btw Nice interview. The guy is all class.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 02:13 PM
True. Hard not to root for a guy like that. Of course, he's a Rockette, so it's not THAT hard.

Indazone
08-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Scola Scores on a slam dunk!!!! The crowd roars. Scola finishes the night with 12 points 10 rebounds and 2 assists.

:clap

ROCKETS WIN!

smrattler
08-15-2007, 09:42 PM
How's he gonna get 10 boards with TD and Fab around him? Not to mention his own teamate Yao.

Funny part of the interview when they ask him "Do you know who Yao Ming is?"

Scola's Answer: "WTF????"

Anyway, great interview. I like his attitude on this one.