PDA

View Full Version : Interview With Penny Hardaway

duncan228
08-14-2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/heat/news/insider0708_phardaway_070814.html

Insider Interview with Penny

On August 9, the HEAT signed four-time NBA All-Star Anfernee “Penny” Hardaway. During his 13-year NBA career with the Magic, Suns and Knicks, Hardaway has averaged 15.4 points, 5.1 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.61 steals. HEAT Insider was there to catch Hardaway's first public comments as a member of the HEAT with the HEAT beat writers.

You've been out of basketball for about a year-and-a-half. What has the process been like rehabbing your knee and getting back into shape?

“First of all, it's been a hard road to get to this point. I've had knee pains and the same knee injury for so long. About a year-and-a-half ago, I had surgery that removed a bone spur from the area that has given me the most problems. It allowed me to get well, and once I got well, I started running and I got back into shape. I lost 22 pounds. I have no pain for the first time in about five years. I can cut; I can jump. All of those things were painful for me over the past four or five years. I just kept pushing. I'm so thankful and blessed for the HEAT organization. I'm happy to be in the presence of Coach Riley and the team.”

Did you ever have doubts about playing again?

“I had a lot of doubts because I was in such pain. I wasn't able to explode, jump, run – not even walk without pain being in the back of my leg. Every time I bent my leg, even in a walking motion, I was wondering what was wrong with me. But I stuck with it. I want to give it my all. I want to contribute in any fashion to a great team.”

Have you spoken to Shaq yet?

“Not yet. I spoke to Shaq last year. He and I had a long talk, and we had a great talk. It was basically about neither one of us has any hard feelings and we still care about each other and he is wishing me the best.”

Dwyane Wade said he was looking forward to playing with you. That must make you feel good.

“It does make me feel great. That's my job as a veteran in the league to help make the young guys better. He awesome already, but I can definitely help him out because I know a lot about the guard position. I'm really flattered that he thinks that. I can't wait to talk to him in person.”

What is your main motivational factor for coming back to play?

“I definitely have competitive juices going, but the No. 1 reason for me coming back is to win a championship. I still love this game. It's not about anything but loving the game and wanting to win a ring. I couldn't ask for a better place than the Miami HEAT.”