PDA

View Full Version : No player meant more in the playoffs. Not even little james

ducks
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
jack (pasadena, texas): why do you think the spurs will repeat this year with the likes of the mavericks and suns lurking?

J.A. Adande: Because Tim Duncan is the best player in the league right now.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16868

djohn14
08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Duncan is not the best player in the league...he is the best big man, but I don't think he can carry a team like he could a few years back. With that being said, I still think we will win another title. Ime Udoka will be a star...well maybe not.

Sense
08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Duncan is not the best player in the league...he is the best big man, but I don't think he can carry a team like he could a few years back. With that being said, I still think we will win another title. Ime Udoka will be a star...well maybe not.

He is the best player in the league....

He's prolly not the best scorer... or the flashiest one.. but he can and has carried a team throughout his career...

sure he hasn't done it like in the past but he's still doing it... thus the rings?

41times
08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
okay i'll fall for this one.....

Duncan is not the best player in the league right now. He is probably not in the top 5. He is one of the best players in the league. He is one of the best all around players in the league for sure. He definitely makes his team better and therefore he is one of the best. But consider his supporting cast, Parker and GiNob, they make Timmy better too.

I am in no way saying Duncan is not Great, He IS!!!

But again i go back to the same old argument:

Line up all the GMs and all the players and have each GM make a pick. It is likely that Tim Duncan is not taken until 4th, 5th or 6th.

dougp
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Duncan is not the best player in the league right now. He is probably not in the top 5. He is one of the best players in the league. He is one of the best all around players in the league for sure. He definitely makes his team better and therefore he is one of the best. But consider his supporting cast, Parker and GiNob, they make Timmy better too.

Line up all the GMs and all the players and have each GM make a pick. It is likely that Tim Duncan is not taken until 4th, 5th or 6th.
Not the top 5? Are you fuckin on crack? Who would they take over Tim Duncan? Name one more PROVEN PLAYER in the past 10 years to do what he has done. Nobody, period. He has won 4 seperate championships with 3 completely different teams - he was the center piece of them all. No great player is phenomenal with out their supporting cast - same can be said of Jordan, Kareem, Hakeem, etc. Sorry, but Duncan would be 1st or 2nd (probably only behind Kobe) if you asked any GM.

Solid D
08-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Don't the GMs have a poll on this one every year?

Solid D
08-15-2007, 10:21 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/general-managers-survey-102506.shtml

Here's one poll from last October. Duncan was one of 5 players receiving votes, with James getting the majority of the votes.

timvp
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
If you were starting a franchise, you'd probably have to go with LeBron due to his skillset and age. If you are trying to win the championship next season, you pick Duncan hands down.

dougp
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
If you were starting a franchise, you'd probably have to go with LeBron due to his skillset and age. If you are trying to win the championship next season, you pick Duncan hands down.
If you're starting a franchise - do you really go with LeBron? Sure, he's good and young - but look what happened to Cleveland. They weren't the best in the East, period - it's freakin suprising they made it as far as they did. If you could guarantee putting a supporting cast around James like one that is around Duncan, I can see that ... but eh, I'm biased. :elephant

Gooshie
08-15-2007, 10:27 AM

You're crazy. He is the best all-around player in the League. He's the best defensive player, and he's top 5 on offense.

Line up all the GMs, as you say, and the only reason he wouldn't be the top pick is because of his age. However, if the criteria was who they would take for the next 4 years, he would be the top pick by an almost unanimous vote.

wildchild
08-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Duncan is not the best player in the league right now. He is probably not in the top 5. He is one of the best players in the league. He is one of the best all around players in the league for sure...Line up all the GMs and all the players and have each GM make a pick. It is likely that Tim Duncan is not taken until 4th, 5th or 6th.

They would take...Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Dirk and Nash... and not take Tim?? C'mon, dude. :rolleyes

Solid D
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
The majority of the GMs picked the Spurs to win in 2006-07 in the NBA survey of 30 GMs last October.
http://www.nba.com/preview2006/gmsurvey_predictions.html

Which team will win NBA Finals 2007?
San Antonio Spurs 42.9%
Dallas Mavericks 28.6%
Miami Heat 14.3%
Others receiving votes: Minnesota, Phoenix, Orlando

saporvida
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
duncan is #1.... no if, ands, or buts about it.

dougp
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
The majority of the GMs picked the Spurs to win in 2006-07 in the NBA survey of 30 GMs last October.
http://www.nba.com/preview2006/gmsurvey_predictions.html

Which team will win NBA Finals 2007?
San Antonio Spurs 42.9%
Dallas Mavericks 28.6%
Miami Heat 14.3%
Others receiving votes: Minnesota, Phoenix, Orlando
Who were the dumbasses who voted for Minnesota and Orlando? Pshh, best "true" bet out of the East was Washington or Toronto.

duncan228
08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Duncan is it for me. He's the best all around player, as in both ends of the court. There are players you can name as better on one end or the other but no one, IMO, is better on both.

His age is a factor in the "starting a franchise" game but I see Duncan as a Title contender at least a few more years. He's in great shape even with some miles on him. As has been said many times on this board his game doesn't depend on athleticism but rather on his incredible basketball IQ and his drive to win. And his fundamentals aren't so bad either!

ehz33satx
08-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Duncan not even in the top 5? Stop your hating. Go ahead and name your 4 or 5 players you would pick before Duncan. I am sure you are going to pick Kobe, Wade, Lebron, and you being a Mavs fan, Dirk Nowinski, Stackhouse or Terry! None of those players come even close to being the man that Tim Duncan is.

bdictjames
08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Im pretty sure every GM serious about winning a championship would pick Duncan #1 to build his franchise around on.

phxspurfan
08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
NBA GM POLL: DEFENSE

1. Who is the best defensive player in the NBA?
Ben Wallace 32%
Ron Artest 29%
Bruce Bowen 25%
Kobe Bryant 11%
Alonzo Mourning 4%

2. Who is the best perimeter defender in the NBA?
Bruce Bowen 39%
Ron Artest 25%
Kobe Bryant 25%
Raja Bell 11%
Others receiving votes: Andrei Kirilenko, Ruben Patterson, Tayshaun Prince, Earl Watson

3. Who is the best interior defender in the NBA?
Ben Wallace 64%
Tim Duncan 18%
Alonzo Mourning 7%
Others receiving votes: Andrei Kirilenko, Shaquille O’Neal, Darko Milicic

All of this and Marcus Camby gets DPOY. Weak.

Rand
08-15-2007, 12:38 PM
(From Insidehoops)

8. Who is the best power forward in the NBA?
Tim Duncan 57%
Dirk Nowitzki 25%
Kevin Garnett 14%
Amare Stoudemire 4%

9. Who is the best center in the NBA?
Shaquille O'Neal 75%
Tim Duncan 18%
Others receiving votes: Dwight Howard, Yao Ming

So Timmy is ranked top-2 for TWO POSITIONS. He got the most or the second-most nods in both categories even though he split the vote. If you normalize the stats by assuming that about 22 GMs think Timmy's a 4 and 8 think he's a 5, you see that 78% of voting GMs picked TD for PF (more than picked Bryant or Shaq for their positions) and 68% pick him for C (which moves him into #1).

Tim Duncan: Best in the league at two positions.

41times
08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I think last year's survey just proved my point:

2. If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
LeBron James 71%
Dwyane Wade 11%
Others receiving votes: Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard

It looks like Timmy was 4th and i said he would be 4th, 5th or 6th.

I think Timmy is in with this group and probably nearer the top than botto:
Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Nash, Howard, Arenas,T-Mac, Dirk, Yao, Carmello, KG

But argument could certainly be made that he would be as low as 4th, 5th or 6th or 7th as the greatest "Current" player.

Dirk won the MVP last year and you don't see me saying he is greater than Kobe or Lebron or even Duncan. So don't have such a complex about it. You have 4 Trophy's and that's what really matters!

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
The appropriate question should be, "If you were starting a team, who would you DRAFT?"
Who doesn't have Duncan as one or two on that list?

mardigan
08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I think last year's survey just proved my point:

2. If you were starting a franchise today and could sign any player in the NBA, who would it be?
LeBron James 71%
Dwyane Wade 11%
Others receiving votes: Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard

It looks like Timmy was 4th and i said he would be 4th, 5th or 6th.

I think Timmy is in with this group and probably nearer the top than botto:
Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Nash, Howard, Arenas,T-Mac, Dirk, Yao, Carmello, KG

But argument could certainly be made that he would be as low as 4th, 5th or 6th or 7th as the greatest "Current" player.

Dirk won the MVP last year and you don't see me saying he is greater than Kobe or Lebron or even Duncan. So don't have such a complex about it. You have 4 Trophy's and that's what really matters!
You said Tim probably wasnt in the top 5, and it doesnt say how many votes the guys outside of the top 2 got, so he could very well be 3rd on that list.
If you were starting a team for next year and wanted to win right now, Tim would be the 1st pick hands down.
No one in the league changes the game on both sides of the floor like Tim does.
The only reason Wade and Bron beat guys like Tim and Kobe out are their ages, and thats it

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-15-2007, 01:53 PM
The appropriate question should be, "If you were starting a team, who would you DRAFT?"

Exactly! You're going to be drafting someone to build your team around for the next 10+ years and someone doesn't have TD #1 or #2 on their list is whack.

Tim's age today would knock him down to some. Who would be ahead of him today. Kobe is fixing to be 29 and he is a cancer. D Wade? Lebron? Melo? Oden or Durant?

41times
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM

The NBA G.M.'s don't that's who.

Again, Timmy is great. He's in the top 4-6 or so.

But if you line them all up and pick a team to win this coming season Timmy would not be one of the first 3 players picked.

And if you lined them all up and said this is your team leader for the next 5 years Timmy wouuld not be one of the first 3 picked.

But again I would not care, because it is about the "Team" not individual greatness. It's about winning Championships.

wildbill2u
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Monty Williams pulled me aside and told me: "That guy down there" -- meaning Tim Duncan -- "has had surgery on his left knee. He can only jump about this high [holds his fingers about an inch apart]. He won't say a word to you, and he will Bust. Your. A--." [Greg Oden]

That's the way coaches explain TD to new superstars coming into the league.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
But if you line them all up and pick a team to win this coming season Timmy would not be one of the first 3 players picked.
All evidence to the contrary.

And if you lined them all up and said this is your team leader for the next 5 years Timmy wouuld not be one of the first 3 picked.
Again, there seems to be absolutely no evidence to support that, but supposing it were accurate, it would be due solely to his age. If you could draft a guy out of college knowing what you know now, you'd take Shaq or Duncan.

hater
08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
dammit, he is the best player when you bring(and you should) defense into the equation

Reggie Miller
08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
A lot of assumptions are being made here.

1. Although I agree that the GMs are giving "expert" opinions, not all expert opinions are created equal. Is Ainge's opinion as valid as Colangelo's? How about McHale and Buford?

2. These percentages are suspicious on their face. For example, Stoudemire is listed as "4%" of the vote. Assuming all 30 teams were polled once and allowed one answer, this is mathematically impossible, unless 1.2 people voted for Stoudemire or every fraction was rounded up. This somewhat relates back to Point #1, becuase apparently at least one GM/President was actually idiotic enough to think that Stoudemire is the best PF in the NBA.

3. I think people assume that the GMs polled actually put a lot of care and attention into this poll. Did the poll define its terms? When it asked "build a team today" were we to assume the players' current attained age? Draft age? How many people polled actually went to the trouble to define all of the parameters before shooting back an answer? Did any GM worry that his answer would leak and just named his own player? (I could see D'Antoni being stupid enough to pick Stoudemire.)

I am not a Spurs homer, but I don't see how you would consider anyone in the league today more valuable than Duncan. Duncan was dominant from day one. Duncan may be the one superstar who can mesh into any style or system, and do it quickly (within a single season). Timmy doesn't need the ball to be highly effective. If you consider those criteria, who would anyone take before Duncan? Kobe? Don't kid yourself. LeBron? No low post game, no jumpshot, and needs to have the ball 80% of the time. (To be fair, the last may be a function of the crappy Cavaliers team.) Dirk? You replace Timmy's points, but lose the rebounds, blocks, and defense. Shaq? Too old and broken down today, but you probably take Shaq over Duncan in their primes (even though TD is a better "team" guy). KG? At best, that is a "lateral" move.

I just don't how see you don't take Duncan 1st or 2nd.

spursfan09
08-15-2007, 05:57 PM

So let me guess you think that Dirk would be before Timmy huh?

duncan228
08-15-2007, 06:03 PM
I am not a Spurs homer, but I don't see how you would consider anyone in the league today more valuable than Duncan. Duncan was dominant from day one. Duncan may be the one superstar who can mesh into any style or system, and do it quickly (within a single season). Timmy doesn't need the ball to be highly effective. If you consider those criteria, who would anyone take before Duncan? Kobe? Don't kid yourself. LeBron? No low post game, no jumpshot, and needs to have the ball 80% of the time. (To be fair, the last may be a function of the crappy Cavaliers team.) Dirk? You replace Timmy's points, but lose the rebounds, blocks, and defense. Shaq? Too old and broken down today, but you probably take Shaq over Duncan in their primes (even though TD is a better "team" guy). KG? At best, that is a "lateral" move.

I just don't how see you don't take Duncan 1st or 2nd.

For someone "not a Spurs homer" you sure summed it up well! :clap

Duncan brings so much to both ends of the court that his value skyrockets over anyone else in the league. Top off his physical talent with his personality qualities, his ability to make his teammates better, and his apparant complete lack of ego and you have the complete package. On the court and in the locker room there's no player I'd take over Duncan.

mavs>spurs2
08-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Duncan is NOT one even one of the top 3 individual players in the league right now..more like top 4-6. Is he as good all around (dribbling, shooting, passing, etc) as Lebron? Hell no. Is he a premier scorer like Kobe? No. Is he a playmaker like Nash? Once again, no. Athletically gifted like Garnett or Wade? No, the list can go on and on.

Lucky for the Spurs, great individual players don't win championships without a great TEAM. Some of you need to take a good look at Tony, Manu, Bowen and realize those guys deserve ALOT of the credit for your teams success.

Switchman
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Duncan is NOT one even one of the top 3 individual players in the league right now..more like top 4-6. Is he as good all around (dribbling, shooting, passing, etc) as Lebron? Hell no. Is he a premier scorer like Kobe? No. Is he a playmaker like Nash? Once again, no. Athletically gifted like Garnett or Wade? No, the list can go on and on.

Lucky for the Spurs, great individual players don't win championships without a great TEAM. Some of you need to take a good look at Tony, Manu, Bowen and realize those guys deserve ALOT of the credit for your teams success.

Exactly. Anyone who doesn't realize this.... :reading

Duncan is by far a GREAT cornerstone to any TEAM. I could give a fuck who is best individually. Last time I checked basketball was 5 on 5 at any given time. Isn't it true that a GREAT big man is a lot harder to find then a GREAT small guy?

The ONLY thing Duncan has against him is mileage and age. If we knew what everyone's prime would be and assuming they were all young (Kobe, Duncan, Nash, Dirk, Lebron) I would still pick Duncan first. I take his personality, leadership, clutch ability, and so much more into my decision. The FACT that he doesn't have to be the "best" at all times automatically propels him above Kobe.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Dude, the Spurs don't even make the playoffs in the West without...

Wait a second, did you just suggest that anybody would pick Nash over Duncan? That's the stupidest thing I've heard on this board in a while, and considering Spursdynasty and Sequ are in top form, that's saying something.

mavs>spurs2
08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Dude, the Spurs don't even make the playoffs in the West without...

Wait a second, did you just suggest that anybody would pick Nash over Duncan? That's the stupidest thing I've heard on this board in a while, and considering Spursdynasty and Sequ are in top form, that's saying something.

What part of he's not a playmaker like Nash don't you understand? I was just throwing a few names out there to make a point.

Realistically, Kobe, Wade, KG, Lebron are all better individual players than Duncan. Team play > individual play. Duncan is a better TEAM PLAYER than all of those guys mentioned.

That put things in perspective for you?

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
What part of he's not a playmaker like Nash don't you understand? I was just throwing a few names out there to make a point.

Realistically, Kobe, Wade, KG, Lebron are all better individual players than Duncan. Team play > individual play. Duncan is a better TEAM PLAYER than all of those guys mentioned.

Since it's a team game, then I guess the only thing it puts in perspective is that you'd make a piss-poor GM.

mavs>spurs2
08-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Since it's a team game, then I guess the only thing it puts in perspective is that you'd make a piss-poor GM.

So you're saying any GM that chooses Lebron over TD is a piss-poor GM?

Please, enlighten me.

Sec24Row7
08-15-2007, 07:52 PM

R O F L

barbacoataco
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Tim Duncan is a big man, and of course he doesn't have the same skill set as Steve (no defense) Nash or Kobe (I hate me team) Bryant. Do they have the same skills as Duncan?
As one poster already said--- when you factor in defense (and you should) Duncan is the best player in the NBA. So many fans just don't consider defense at all, and it is HALF of the game. Dirk, Nash, Arenas, Lebron--- those guys just are not great defenders. And the players who are on Duncan's level of defense-- Bowen, Bell, Wallace, Camby--- none of those guys are great scorers. So when you put the two together, along with leadership, hustle, rebounding, clutch ability and the WILL TO WIN, Duncan is #1.

MrChug
08-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Okay, I'll fall for this one:

Let me guess absurd myopic Mavsfan...Nowitzki IS?!?!?!?!?! :lmao

mavs>spurs2
08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
R O F L

I don't see what's so funny about Wade leading an old hobbled Shaq + 13 other scrubs to a championship in only his 3rd season. And Lebron lead his team of nobodies to the finals, which is still an accomplishment for such a young player.

ducks
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
he lead his teams against injured teams
and a team with flip as a coach

remingtonbo2001
08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
1. Who is the best international player in the NBA?
Dirk Nowitzki 89%
Steve Nash 7%
Manu Ginobili 4%

Where's Nowitzki and Nash's Gold Medal? Where's Stevie and Dickie's Championship Ring? I'm pretty sure Ginobili has them covered, let alone Tim Duncan.

remingtonbo2001
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM

Say it with me...

B A S K E T B A L L

I Q !

Tim Duncan has the highest basketball IQ of any player since the likes of Bird, Magic and MJ. I'm sure Tim would attribute some of this to the fact that he stayed in school, unlike Kobe, Tracy, ect. The college game really forces the fundmental aspects of Basketball upon you. Point is, I'm going to take the guy with the highest Basketball IQ, cause history says he's gonna WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. :king

spursfan09
08-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Tim does have help to win champions. But the reason they are fucking there to begin with is because Tim is a winner and probably should be considered the best player in the last decade. Only Shaq has his tied with championships. And its likely Tim will win a few more to put him over the top. Some of ya'll don't know what you are saying.

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Tim does have help to win champions. But the reason they are fucking there to begin with is because Tim is a winner and probably should be considered the best player in the last decade. Only Shaq has his tied with championships. And its likely Tim will win a few more to put him over the top. Some of ya'll don't know what you are saying.

Are you so quick to forget that Jordan played in the past decade?

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Say it with me...

B A S K E T B A L L

I Q !

Tim Duncan has the highest basketball IQ of any player since the likes of Bird, Magic and MJ. I'm sure Tim would attribute some of this to the fact that he stayed in school, unlike Kobe, Tracy, ect. The college game really forces the fundmental aspects of Basketball upon you. Point is, I'm going to take the guy with the highest Basketball IQ, cause history says he's gonna WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. :king

His high basketball iq gets him nowhere without David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, etc. You're a homer if you think he's as good as Jordan and can lead a team to that many championships by himself. He's a great player, top 5 in the league, with great teammates to back him up. What other point are you trying to make?

TheAuthority
08-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Why wouldn't you put him up there with Jordan? Duncan has taken more players to championships than Jordan did. Jordan never won SHIT without Pippen(one of the 50 greatest players of all-time). He also had some of the best role players of all-time in Dennis Rodman, Horace Grant, Steve Kerr, etc. Duncan never had a top 50 talent, besides an old washed up David Robinson. I'm not saying he's better than Jordan, but you could make an argument for Duncan as the best... ever. No question he's the best of the post-Jordan era. Shaq had Kobe and Wade... and nobody else is even in the conversation really. They just keep throwing pieces around Duncan and they keep winning championships. Duncan will have way more rings and more MVPs than Shaq when all is said and done.

Reggie Miller
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Duncan is by far a GREAT cornerstone to any TEAM. I could give a fuck who is best individually. Last time I checked basketball was 5 on 5 at any given time. Isn't it true that a GREAT big man is a lot harder to find then a GREAT small guy?

That's definitely my take. There just aren't that many people in the entire world 6'11" or taller. The talent pool for guards and small forwards is much greater, which is why most NBA wings are comparable talent-wise.

Usually, people mean "best skill set" when they say "best player." This is very misleading, because you play to win the game. For example, Meadowlark Lemon may have had the best basketball skill set of all time, but he certainly wasn't the best NBA player of all time. (He never played in the league, to my knowledge).

When I think of a "best" or "most valuable" player, I mean who contributes the most to team wins. With very few exceptions, that will usually be a big man, not a wing.

Booharv
08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
What's with the "little james" crack by the OP? Dude just hates Lebron?

mardigan
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
His high basketball iq gets him nowhere without David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, etc. You're a homer if you think he's as good as Jordan and can lead a team to that many championships by himself. He's a great player, top 5 in the league, with great teammates to back him up. What other point are you trying to make?
And Jordan didnt win shit without Pippen , Grant , Rodman , Kukoc etc. so what is your point?

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
So you're saying that Duncan has had better teammates than Jordan? Just so we're clear. That's what you are suggesting, right? I just want to make sure you are committed to that position before responding.

saporvida
08-16-2007, 02:55 PM

i think it was stated in another reply but basketball is 5 on 5... jordan is the pinnacle but put him up against 5 (1 vs 5) no matter the nba team and jordan always gets his ass kicked. that's why it's 5 on 5.

2centsworth
08-16-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't see what's so funny about Wade leading an old hobbled Shaq + 13 other scrubs to a championship in only his 3rd season. And Lebron lead his team of nobodies to the finals, which is still an accomplishment for such a young player.
Tim is the Ultimate Team Player. The Spurs win on defense and Timmy is the cornerstone of that D. He commands a huge amount of attention on offense opening up all sorts of shots for other players. He's a guy who doesn't need to score a lot of points to make a huge impact

I would take him over anyone right now. In their primes I would take Shaq.

SRJ
08-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Tim is a winner and probably should be considered the best player in the last decade.

In the past decade = the last 10 seasons (1998-2007)

Jordan played in three of those seasons (1998, 2002, 2003), won a championship and a Finals MVP during that stretch.

Duncan played in all ten of those seasons, won four championships, three Finals MVPs, and two league MVPs.

Shaq played in all ten of those seasons, won four championships, three Finals MVPs, and a league MVP.

Jordan is one of the two best players of all time, but there is no question that Duncan and Shaq have accomplished much more than Jordan did during this last decade.

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
i think it was stated in another reply but basketball is 5 on 5... jordan is the pinnacle but put him up against 5 (1 vs 5) no matter the nba team and jordan always gets his ass kicked. that's why it's 5 on 5.

No, you just said that Duncan was the best player in the past decade. That would be putting him over Jordan and making him the best player of all time. Is that what you are trying to say?

z0sa
08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
what the hell dont you understand about tim being the best player of the last decade? rofl

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 06:18 PM
what the hell dont you understand about tim being the best player of the last decade? rofl

If you look at it in terms of who accomplished the most in the past decade, then sure because Jordan retired back in 98. But Jordan is still the best basketball player to step on an NBA court in the past 10 years.

What the hell don't you understand about that?

SRJ
08-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Jordan unretired and played two more seasons, 2002 and 2003.

No one is disputing Jordan's status historical here - but who has been the best player over the period covering the last ten seasons? Why is this so goddamn difficult for you?

Only a jackass would use this angle to discredit Duncan.

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Jordan unretired and played two more seasons, 2002 and 2003.

No one is disputing Jordan's status historical here - but who has been the best player over the period covering the last ten seasons? Why is this so goddamn difficult for you?

Only a jackass would use this angle to discredit Duncan.

Nothing is "goddam difficult" about it, Jordan is the best player to step on an NBA court in the past decade. Period. If the original poster would have been more specific and said "Duncan has accomplished more in the past decade than any other player" then there would be no confusion. Make sense, Jackass?

I think the real problem lies in the fact that some people need to sit back and chill and quit getting so worked up and butthurt over nothing. It wasn't like I came in here trolling, just pointing out that what he said was incorrect.

SRJ
08-16-2007, 08:43 PM
How the fuck do you measure the best of anything? By accomplishments. Therefore, when someone makes a statement that Tim Duncan has been the best player of the decade, that person is inherently stating that Duncan is the most accomplished player during that time.

If I said that Cliff Robinson was the best player of the past decade, I would rightfully get laughed off the board for that. Why? Well, Cliff Robinson hasn't accomplished anything noteworthy during that time. An extreme example, but Jordan's accomplishments during the past decade are less substantial than Duncan's. That is a fact.

If I said that the Spurs were the best team of the past decade, would you counter by saying that the Boston Celtics have won sixteen championships? After all, the Celtics are still in the NBA!

Go play in a minefield.

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 08:46 PM
How the fuck do you measure the best of anything? By accomplishments. Therefore, when someone makes a statement that Tim Duncan has been the best player of the decade, that person is inherently stating that Duncan is the most accomplished player during that time.

If I said that Cliff Robinson was the best player of the past decade, I would rightfully get laughed off the board for that. Why? Well, Cliff Robinson hasn't accomplished anything noteworthy during that time. An extreme example, but Jordan's accomplishments during the past decade are less substantial than Duncan's. That is a fact.

If I said that the Spurs were the best team of the past decade, would you counter by saying that the Boston Celtics have won sixteen championships? After all, the Celtics are still in the NBA!

Go play in a minefield.

:lol Smartass, according to your logic Robert Horry is the best player in the past decade. If you want to be a smartass, I can play that game too. But then we would both be losers. So in the words of Fillmoe, kill yourself.

SRJ
08-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Smartass, according to your logic Robert Horry is the best player in the past decade. If you want to be a smartass, I can play that game too. But then we would both be losers. So in the words of Fillmoe, kill yourself.

You set this standard, not me. You see, before you came along, we understood what was meant by "the best player of the past ten years". Now you've tried to come along and confuse the issue with a cheap lawyer's trick. All I did was to turn your trick against you; now you want to call it being a smartass. Do what you want, but anyone reading this thread will understand clearly which one of us is the imbecile.

Good day.

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
You set this standard, not me. You see, before you came along, we understood what was meant by "the best player of the past ten years". Now you've tried to come along and confuse the issue with a cheap lawyer's trick. All I did was to turn your trick against you; now you want to call it being a smartass. Do what you want, but anyone reading this thread will understand clearly which one of us is the imbecile.

Good day.

:lmao I guess you're just too smart for my dirty little tricks huh? No hard feelings, I just like to stir the pot a little sometimes.

mavs>spurs2
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh, and Jordan>Duncan

Findog
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
1. Who is the best international player in the NBA?
Dirk Nowitzki 89%
Steve Nash 7%
Manu Ginobili 4%

Where's Nowitzki and Nash's Gold Medal? Where's Stevie and Dickie's Championship Ring? I'm pretty sure Ginobili has them covered, let alone Tim Duncan.

Yeah, I'm sure we can all agree Manu is the most important component of the Spurs last three titles.

barbacoataco
08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Except for the 2004 Pistons, EVERY team that has won a championship since Jordan retired has had Tim Duncan or Shaq on it. That pretty much sums it up. Going back to 1991, teams led by Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan have won every championship except 2004. So all the fans of Nash and Dirk (who have never won anything) should keep that in mind.

mathbzh
08-17-2007, 04:45 AM
Jordan is a top 2 player in NBA history so I don't see the point comparing him with Duncan.
Jordan > Duncan is probably true but Duncan is still the best player of his era and has the titles to prove it. Is he better than Shaq? I don't know and don't really care.
Actually the exact player ranking is meaningless... Duncan is a top tier player and it is all that matters.

All the comparisons between players skills regardless of their whole skillset and position are stupid.
Duncan is not the playmaker Nash is like saying Nash is... so??? Nash > Duncan?

Nash is not the shotblocker Duncan is
Duncan is not the 3pt shooter ray Allen is
Shaq is not the FT shooter Dirk is
... endless
None is the dunker James White is... he is probably a top 5 player.

The other argument about GM picking players is biased by the player age as discussed but also by marketing issue. If I want my team to make money, I would probably pick Kobe or Lebron over any other player.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2007, 07:42 AM
Actually the exact player ranking is meaningless... Duncan is OUR player and it is all that matters.
This would work, too. If Duncan had turned out to be Adonal Foyle I'd still be a Spurs fan.

spursfan09
08-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Are you talking when he was with the Wiz, because I am talking about after Jordans era with the bulls. Tim has been the best. I mean I thought that was pretty obvious but okay.

spursfan09
08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
No, you just said that Duncan was the best player in the past decade. That would be putting him over Jordan and making him the best player of all time. Is that what you are trying to say?

I said he was the best player in the past decade, but what I really meant since 99. Forgive me for using the word "decade". but if you want to talk about the 97 and 07 decade, Yeah Tim has won more championships than MJ during that era to. :p:

SequSpur
08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
The Scoreboard shows that Duncan has led his team to 4 NBA Championships.

Shaq and Kobe are the only current players in the NBA that can be mentioned on this level.

Lebron was swept, Nash hasn't done shit, who else you want to throw in there?

Duncan is the best player in the NBA. Fucking Period. Didn't you watch the playoffs? Yeah, Tony Parker won the MVP, but he did it because Duncan led him the entire way.

You guys continue to amaze me with your short bus riding takes when it comes to wins in the regular season... You don't get shit for winning in the regular season Mavfan and Sunsfan... You don't get shit.

Duncan and Shaq are on a totally different level when it comes to greatness. True greatness.

Man In Black
08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
But Jordan is still the best basketball player to step on an NBA court in the past 10 years.

Jordan Was the best basketball player to step on the court. You can't say that Jordan coming back out of retirement for 2002,2003 had the same game and skills. He was older and his contributions were declining. Need I remind you that the Wizards didn't make it to the playoffs the 2 years he played there? SO yes while he is the GOAT Shooting Guard of all time, he wasn't able to play at his highest levels as a Wizard. Both years the team finished 37-45
Tim Duncan has NEVER missed the playoffs...EVER.

Mavs fan=Easy Prey

ambchang
08-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Some people are so devoid of common sense, logic and basketball IQ that they should never ever post on a basketball related newsgroup.