PDA

View Full Version : Donaghy to plead guilty

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Hadn't seen this, thought I didn't search too hard. If it's a DP, close mine.

----

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2975055

NEW YORK -- Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy planned to plead guilty in federal court on Wednesday to charges alleging he bet on games he officiated, a person familiar with the betting scandal probe said.

Donaghy was to turn himself at Brooklyn federal court, the person, who was not authorized to speak about the case, told The Associated Press late Tuesday on condition of anonymity.

Donaghy's attorney, John Lauro, and federal prosecutors declined to comment. The NBA also did not comment.

Besides allegedly placing his own wagers, investigators also examined whether Donaghy provided inside information to others, including referees' schedules. The referee had a gambling problem and was approached by low-level mob associates through an acquaintance.

The FBI first contacted the NBA on June 20 to talk about a referee alleged to be gambling on games, and the two sides met on June 21, NBA commissioner David Stern said last month. Donaghy resigned July 9 after 13 years as a referee, though Stern said he would have fired him sooner but was told it might affect the investigation.

Stern blamed a "rogue, isolated criminal" for the betting scandal that has devastated the league and threatened the credibility of every referee.

Donaghy was rated in the top tier of officials, Stern said, and there was nothing suspicious about the frequency of his foul calls. He was assigned to work in the second round of the playoffs, with his last NBA game coming during the Phoenix-San Antonio Western Conference semifinal.

No other NBA officials or players were expected to be involved in the scandal, which Stern called the "most serious situation and worst situation that I have ever experienced either as a fan of the NBA, a lawyer for the NBA or a commissioner of the NBA."

Others outside the NBA are expected to be charged.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-14-2007, 10:11 PM
And the wheels keep turning. I'm wondering when we're gonna hear some more of these names.

And can the Suns trolls could please form an orderly line off to the right to make this a little more orderly? Thanks.

FromWayDowntown
08-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Sounds like the investigation begins and ends with Donaghy, from an NBA standpoint at least:

No other NBA officials or players were expected to be involved in the scandal, which Stern called the "most serious situation and worst situation that I have ever experienced either as a fan of the NBA, a lawyer for the NBA or a commissioner of the NBA."

If true, that's about the best thing that could have happened for the league after Donaghy's transgressions came to light.

FromWayDowntown
08-15-2007, 09:18 AM
If I understand the report, according to Mark Schwartz on ESPN, in Donaghy's plea colloquy, he testified that he only gambled on games between December 2006 and April 30, 2007. The report also seemed to suggest that he testified to gambling on games that he worked only in Philadelphia and Toronto, Schwartz (who heard the testimony) suggested that Donaghy admitted to betting on a total of 4 games.

Oh, Gee!!
08-15-2007, 10:00 AM
It also sounds as though there are no allegations that Donaghy ever fixed games that he or others officiated. If this is true, Suns fan needs a new fantasy to get him through the off-season without jumping from a tall building.

Donaghy pleaded guilty to conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting wagering information to other individuals. The charges together could result in a prison term of up to 25 years.

"Donaghy admitted in court that he would call co-conspirators with his picks as to which team people should bet on," CNN's Allen Chernoff reported. "He based his picks on ... confidential knowledge of who would be officiating games, the physical condition of players, the relationship that certain referees had with certain players.

"He would call in those picks and when he made a correct selection, he would be paid off for that," Chernoff reported.

Spurminator
08-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Donaghy is still alive?

Some Mafia...

Sincerely, a little girl in Ohio

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
does anyone know of a list of the games he tried to fix......I hope to get out of this thread before the annoying suns fans get on

sandman
08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
does anyone know of a list of the games he tried to fix......I hope to get out of this thread before the annoying suns fans get on

When referring to Sunfan and this particular subject, don't you mean off?

Fabbs
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Former ref Mike Mathis gives his takes on espn.
Computers sound presently out. Anyone want to paraphrase what he said?
Interview with Rome.

K-State Spur
08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
he testified that he only gambled on games between December 2006 and April 30, 2007. The report also seemed to suggest that he testified to gambling on games that he worked only in Philadelphia and Toronto

That makes sense. If you are going to manipulate games, you're not going to do playoff games or even regular season games on national TV. Too much risk involved there.

The payoff to gamblers for meaningless games between bottom feeders (and I realize that Toronto was not a bottom feeder last year) is just as much as it is for the NBA Finals.

FromWayDowntown
08-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it also makes sense that games in Philly were among the games he might have placed bets, because IIRC, his "bookie" is a high school buddy from Philly -- Donaghy could have easily gone to see his buddy in person to make some sort of bet without leaving any paper trail or record.

duncan228
08-15-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/stern_statement_070815.html

NEW YORK, August 15 – NBA Commissioner David Stern has issued the following statement:

“As expected, former NBA referee Tim Donaghy pleaded guilty today to betting on NBA games, including games in which he officiated, and providing confidential information to others who bet on NBA games. We will continue with our ongoing and thorough review of the league’s officiating program to ensure that the best possible policies and procedures are in place to protect the integrity of our game.”

BeerIsGood!
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Max 25 years Fed Penn. Greed will have people doing absolutely stupid things...

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
That makes sense. If you are going to manipulate games, you're not going to do playoff games or even regular season games on national TV. Too much risk involved there.
Someone needs to go back and check the action on David's 71 point game, then...

BeerIsGood!
08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
All he got was $1000 per game he correctly informed the co-conspirators, and that was going to escalate to $5000 after a while. All for a guy making several hundered thousand dollars a year to officiate basketball games.

Fabbs
08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
^^ that's the spin. I'm sure much larger amounts were involved and probably more people. This is like the lame MLB *investigation* into Barroid and the other Steroids.