PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the hardest part of being a parent?

2Blonde
08-14-2007, 10:29 PM
For those of you who are parents!!!!

For me it's right now, I am sitting on my rear in front of the White Rabbit waiting for my daughter who is at a concert. My butt hurts from sitting here so long. I have been here since 6:30pm and she won't be done til around 11pm. It was either sit here for 4 1/2 hours or drive an hour each way from our house to drop her off and again to pick her up. 4 hours of driving, no thanks...I brought stuff to keep me busy like my laptop and a drawing pad. I hate shuttling kids around but my husband is out of town so I have to pull all the duty myself right now. KILL ME NOW :bang

What will happen is she will come out at 11:30ish with one of her friends and ask if she can go to her house and stay the night. Making the fact that I sacrificed my entire evening for her useless. Then I will lose it and Mother -Daughter War episode #5367 begin.

My advice... Use birth control! Don't Procreate! :clap

Trainwreck2100
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
bah, wait till your first pregnancy scare.

marini martini
08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Girl...... I have so been there, but in a much deeper realm :toast

Like u said, just use birth control.....the realm I'm in right now :rolleyes
I guess I'm getting payback for whatever grief I gave my folks :depressed

ashbeeigh
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
My advice... Use birth control! Don't Procreate! :clap

The best form of birth control, i believe, is working with 80 kids over the summer. After the first day, one of my co-workers, who is in a pretty serious relationship said...."This is the best form of birth control...ever!"

And I'm not a parent, but for me, acting as a type of parent for a lot of the summer it was getting the kids to listen..even if it was getting them to eat an apple or stop drinking water when there was someone behind them. There were days when I wanted to shoot them all in the head. :madrun

I miss them, though, and it's only been two and a half weeks! :D

Trainwreck2100
08-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Actually the best form of birth control is the morning after pill. Abstinence is for pussies.

ashbeeigh
08-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Actually the best form of birth control is the morning after pill. Abstinence is for pussies.

:lmao coming from the eternal virgin himself. I love it.

2Blonde
08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
... getting the kids to listen..even if it was getting them to eat an apple or stop drinking water when there was someone behind them. There were days when I wanted to shoot them all in the head. :madrun

I miss them, though, and it's only been two and a half weeks! :D

You hit the nail on the head of what it feels like to be a parent!!! :lol

ashbeeigh
08-14-2007, 10:43 PM
You hit the nail on the head of what it feels like to be a parent!!! :lol

We'll just see what happens when they're actually biologically, genetically, and all that jazz....my kids. :lmao

2Blonde
08-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Actually your statement in this thread would do a much better job of birth control. Try that out on a real live woman and see how far you get. :lol I bet abstinence wins!

08-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY BOY, WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Daddyiloveyou....

Flea
08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
My oldest is going on 14. I have a feeling I am just beginning to enter the difficult part of being a parent and she has 3 younger sisters who will follow.
:bang Now I know why my wine bill has gone through the roof. :drunk

Flea
08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY BOY, WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Daddyiloveyou....

:lmao

I have soooo been there, with the "mommy" ofcourse!!!

Zombie
08-14-2007, 11:31 PM
How old is she?
You are smart to stick around, the last time I went to the White Rabbit, I came out of there real stoned and saw a person on the ground with EMS all around. I blew it off thinking I was just stoned. The next day on the news I saw the story, some dude got shot. Now this was like 16 years ago when St Marys was the place to be.
Man Hanging out with Reggae bands was fun, they had the best smoke.

ObiwanGinobili
08-14-2007, 11:39 PM
well my perfect little angels are 3 and under and as I sit here in the heavenly glow of thier undying perfect toddlerhood love and affection for me, thier hero and spource of all that is great and wonderfull - I am mystified as to what difficulties you parents of teens could possibly be speaking of??

j/k

these pint sized cretins can chap my ass as well.

seriously I think the hardest part is feelign like I can;t do enough to teach them, guide them, mold them, help them. I'm not taking care of children, I am raising my children up to be fine adults. Sometimes it feels like a stone of pressure, I'm afraid to fuck up.

SpursWoman
08-15-2007, 06:08 AM
My daughter turns 12 on Friday. We're at odds right now because she was caught on the phone waaaaay past her cut off time .... to a 14 year old boy. Which in itself is bad enough for me, but when we hit the speakerphone downstairs to see if she was still on it, some of the crap they were saying just about made me lose my mind.

I don't know if I'm ready for this. :( :lol

Ginofan
08-15-2007, 07:23 AM
2Blonde, at least you let your daughter GO to the concert. I don't think my mother ever let me go to a concert without an adult acompaning me until i was 18 :lol

I don't have kids, so I can't say I know how it feels. In fact, I pretty much hate kids. I know for sure I'm going to the be the enforcer type parent when I actually do decide to have children, I just hope I don't get CPS called on my ass.

At least school is almost back in session and you guys will be spared a little bit of misery again :lol

ploto
08-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Someone told me years ago...

When you have a son, you only have to worry about one penis in the world. But when you have a daughter, you have to worry about every one of them!

Shelly
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
My oldest is 14.5 and unfortunately is a lot like I was at that age. I guess it's payback time. :lol My youngest will be 12 in Sept., but he's young for his age.

However, I'll give my oldest some slack as he has not been feeling 100% since May and I know he's tired of it.

As for the concert thing, my husband goes with my oldest since they like a lot of the same type of music.

JoeChalupa
08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I love being a parent, and a parent is what I am, I don't do the "friends" thing.
Yeah, I have great fun with my daughters but they know I'm a parent first and their friend second.
Parenting rocks!! :clap

desflood
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Feigning interest for the 6-year-old tv show I've seen 128 times already. "Mom! Watch this! Watch, Mom! Look, look! You're not watching! Mom!" As if I haven't known for three years already that Sheen's head will explode because Jimmy and Carl made his brain too big unless Ultraman can talk him into using the brain drain helmet.

tsb2000
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I have three girls. My oldest is 16 going on 25.... if the other two turn out like this one, I will be in an early grave, for sure.

Shelly
08-15-2007, 09:47 AM
My daughter turns 12 on Friday. We're at odds right now because she was caught on the phone waaaaay past her cut off time .... to a 14 year old boy. Which in itself is bad enough for me, but when we hit the speakerphone downstairs to see if she was still on it, some of the crap they were saying just about made me lose my mind.

I don't know if I'm ready for this. :( :lol

Oh, no!!! You're gonna have to keep a tight leash on this one!

Clutch20
08-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Well to me the hardest part of being a parent is knowing when to hammer down with the disclipline and for how long, then backing off, hands off for a time to see if the budding anarchists make good/bad choices for themselves.

Then it's either a verbal reward/recognition or a consequence.

My oldest son being ADHD was the toughest in this regard.

My younger son learned from big brother's mistakes and toed the line.

They're both out of the house, the older one raising his family and busting his ass to provide.

My younger one needs 1 more year of broadcasting radio/tv courses to finish but he as a dj spins songs at clubs around town for his expense money.

So far, so good.

I justtold my wife last night that I finally feel like we could both die tomorrow and I would feel secure knowing that the boys have their plans to keep going after we're gone and from stumbling too much because of us moving on.

JoeChalupa
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I justtold my wife last night that I finally feel like we could both die tomorrow and I would feel secure knowing that the boys have their plans to keep going after we're gone and from stumbling too much because of us moving on.

My dad said the same thing once my younger brother moved out and was on his own. That is my thinking too. Once my girls are established and know what they want to do in life I can die in peace.

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2007, 11:04 AM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1641/beatkid4xz2.jpg

duncan228
08-15-2007, 11:34 AM
seriously I think the hardest part is feelign like I can;t do enough to teach them, guide them, mold them, help them. I'm not taking care of children, I am raising my children up to be fine adults. Sometimes it feels like a stone of pressure, I'm afraid to fuck up.

Well said.
Mine are 12 and 17 and that has always been the hardest part.
The day to day stufff you manage to get through, even though at times it feels like you never will. But the long term, bigger picture stuff is what always keeps me wondering.

I believe my husband and I have laid a good foundation in both our kids and now that they're older we can see it come through in them, by the choices they make and the way they interact with the world around them.

But it still runs through me a lot. Will they be happy, well adjusted adults or will something I've said or done while raising them put them on a therapists couch?

Clutch20
08-15-2007, 12:23 PM
My dad said the same thing once my younger brother moved out and was on his own. That is my thinking too. Once my girls are established and know what they want to do in life I can die in peace.
The TRUTH brother! You sound like a good parent and your girls are lucky to have parents like yourselves that care like that.

degenerate_gambler
08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
We are a blended family with 5 kids, 3 girls (15, 10, 8) and two boys (12,2).

Obviously the house is a zoo most of the time from sun-up to sun-down and beyond. Our house is the unofficial gathering/meeting spot for their friends from church or the neighborhood. And it's cool because I like the fact that my kids love and respect our relationship, boundaries we set and prinicipals, that they and their friends are comfortable hanging out at the house.

At this point in time, the hardest part of being a parent is calculating the grocery bill. Needless to say, we are both blessed and thankful for each and every one of them.

desflood
08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
At this point in time, the hardest part of being a parent is calculating the grocery bill.
Back-to-school shopping is horrible, isn't it? :lol

Ballcox
08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Damn, hard question. I guess the hardest part about being a parent is having kids, the best part? Having kids! :lol

I mean it's such a dichotomy from day to day. I have a 13yr. old daughter and 4 yr. old twins, one boy and one girl. So I find myself constantly going back and forth from the mood swings of a 13 yr. old daughter to my twins fighting over a fork or something.

All I know is that it is what it is. It's parenting, you try to be a good role model, you try to love and protect your children, and you try to always be there for them and hopefully mold them into healthy young adults.

But at the end of the day, I don't expect to receive any kind of reward or recognition, it's simply what I must do, it's my responsibility as an adult, I signed up for it.

I also cannot imagine a life without my children, good or bad they are the love of my life.

ploto
08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
The hardest part about being a parent is when you know you have to stand back and let them make their own mistakes.

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Actually the best form of birth control is the morning after pill.

Whataburger should start offering taquitos with a ground up morning-after pill mixed in during the 2AM-8AM range.

marini martini
08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
This is hard. You love them no mater what, and want to see them happy & succesful, but every once in a while life blows u some shit. Our "baby girl" was the golden child...Honor student, athletic, distance runner & varsity soccer, until right before she turned 17, she was in a horrendous accident. Now at 23, she is a reckless, crazy, risk taker. Just want to know some one out there will worship her for life. She is a beautiful girl with so much ambition, and the sweetest heart imaginable, only problem....she is taken for a mark, and taken advantage of :nope

08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
This is hard. You love them no mater what, and want to see them happy & succesful, but every once in a while life blows u some shit. Our "baby girl" was the golden child...Honor student, athletic, distance runner & varsity soccer, until right before she turned 17, she was in a horrendous accident. Now at 23, she is a reckless, crazy, risk taker. Just want to know some one out there will worship her for life. She is a beautiful girl with so much ambition, and the sweetest heart imaginable, only problem....she is taken for a mark, and taken advantage of :nope

That's gotta be a full on tits up bitch.

Her accident ding her mind?

My little girl is 5 and starts kindergarten this month and I'm scared I'm going to have to do prison time by the time she turns 17 seeing how the boys act nowadays.

Flea
08-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Someone told me years ago...

When you have a son, you only have to worry about one penis in the world. But when you have a daughter, you have to worry about every one of them!

Today I caught a teenage boy(looked to be about 17) checking out my teenage daughter. She is 13 1/2 and very cute. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Flea
08-15-2007, 09:57 PM

Being a parent is having your heart out there for everyone to stomp including them.

marini martini
08-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Today I caught a teenage boy(looked to be about 17) checking out my teenage daughter. She is 13 1/2 and very cute. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

You should have kicked him in the nuts :toast

And yes, her mind was dinged, big time :rolleyes

08-15-2007, 10:57 PM
And yes, her mind was dinged, big time :rolleyes

Please don't think I was trying to make light of your situation, and the "bitch" comment was directed at what has happened, not your daughter.

Shelly
08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
The hardest part about being a parent is when you know you have to stand back and let them make their own mistakes.

That and be prepared when they try to be independant. Of course, when they're sick, they always want their mother!

mrsmaalox
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
My kids are 13, 11,and 9 (boy-girl-boy) and the hardest thing for me to deal with is the "fairness" whine. They just can't understand that because of gender & age, what's fair for one doesn't apply to another. Expectations vary. They have a very concrete vision of equality! I feel especially bad for the oldest---he's the "test child" so all of our parenting skills are learned on him! It's really tough being the oldest.

Shelly
08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
I'm just tired of my oldest picking on my youngest all the time. It's so fucking annoying. He thinks he owns the every room in the house and is always telling him to leave whatever room he's in. He seems to keep forgetting that son #2 was kind enough to lend him his PS2 so he could play Guitar Hero and has not once asked for it back.

Oh, and the fact that he thinks I need HIS reinforcement when I'm scolding son #2.

Sometimes, I just want to drink my breakfast.

marini martini
08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
That's gotta be a full on tits up bitch.

Her accident ding her mind?

My little girl is 5 and starts kindergarten this month and I'm scared I'm going to have to do prison time by the time she turns 17 seeing how the boys act nowadays.

U will be o.k.That is what I thought exactly. Just kick the boyz in the nuts & u will be o.k. :toast

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm deathly afraid that if I ever have a child, I will fuck it up somehow. It's not that I don't think I could do it, I'm just scared that I would mess up somehow in raising a child.

tsb2000
08-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok. I want to edit my answer. The toughest thing about being a parent is to remember to keep "love them" greater than "want to kill them."

spursfan09
08-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Reading this thread is enough birth control for me....

Clutch20
08-16-2007, 07:27 AM
#1. The 3 stages-very young and huggable, then don't touch me or talk to me, then I'm acting this way because you can't do anything about it!

#2. Hang in there parents. They do all they do because your kids know you're still looking at them like when they were little and it's their way of getting attention while you're having heart attacks!

#3. There is an end to most of these child to adult growth stages. It won't likely happen until they reach their 30's. Lucky parents are those whose children reach awareness of responsibilities in the early 20's.

Just to my experiences, maybe mine don't match all situations.

Flea
08-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm deathly afraid that if I ever have a child, I will fuck it up somehow. It's not that I don't think I could do it, I'm just scared that I would mess up somehow in raising a child.

There will be times you will mess up but saying, "I'm sorry" to the kid and admitting that parents can fuck up too goes a long way.

Flea
08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
My kids are 13, 11,and 9 (boy-girl-boy) and the hardest thing for me to deal with is the "fairness" whine. They just can't understand that because of gender & age, what's fair for one doesn't apply to another. Expectations vary. They have a very concrete vision of equality! I feel especially bad for the oldest---he's the "test child" so all of our parenting skills are learned on him! It's really tough being the oldest.

Yeah it is. My youngest is 5 and she pretty much has it easy.

CosmicCowboy
08-16-2007, 10:14 AM

That was the hardest part for me too. You can advise them, but you have to let them make their own decisions and live with the consequences. If you make all the "right' decisions for your child then they never learn to make their own.

The second hardest part was trying to keep the mother from killing them in high school.

tlongII
08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
The hardest part for me is finding somebody to have my kid.

boutons_
08-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Switching off from work and being 100% available, even when dead tired, for the kids (and wife).

2Blonde
08-17-2007, 02:08 AM
That was the hardest part for me too. You can advise them, but you have to let them make their own decisions and live with the consequences. If you make all the "right' decisions for your child then they never learn to make their own.

The second hardest part was trying to keep the mother from killing them in high school.

:lol That second hardest part I can definitely relate to. I think that's how my husband feels a lot of the time. He never knows if he's coming home to WWIII between my daughter & I.

CuckingFunt
08-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm not a parent, but right now "High School Musical 2" is the hardest thing about being a big sister.

marini martini
08-17-2007, 10:33 PM
I got on Prozac when my youngest turned 14 :toast