PDA

View Full Version : Band

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Who is your fav band at the moment? Maybe not all time fav just who are you really into right now?

Even though they are top 20 all time I would have to say Queens Of The Stone Age.

Findog
08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Brian Jonestown Massacre

www.brianjonestownmassacre.com

Entire catalogue is available for free download

L.I.T
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Does Andrew Bird count? Yes, Andrew Bird. And an obscure band called Skybox.

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Does Andrew Bird count? Yes, Andrew Bird. And an obscure band called Skybox.

Who are they, what do they sound like.

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Kings of Leon

Squid
08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Slightly Stoopid

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 09:55 AM
currently I just got into Broken Social Scene after watching Half Nelson (which is in my top 5 favorite all time movies now).

all-time favorite band is either Radiohead, or Limp Bizkit. tough to decide between the two.

Oh, Gee!!
08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Modest Mouse

L.I.T
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Who are they, what do they sound like.

Andrew Bird is probably one of the top lyric writers working today; his most recent album (Armchair Apocrypha), I think, finally melds his lyrics with damn good music. He's in a bit of the vein of Feist and bands who have varied soundscapes (does that even make sense? Bah who cares). He's pretty indie though and live he's damn fantastic since he's more stripped down. I guess this album reminds me of Damien Rice sweeping instrumentality, but less morose and suicidal, with some hints of guys like Shout Out Louds and The Format.

Skybox is just fucking crazy; sounds like a piano-based cabaret band crossed with modern pop, performing in Moulin Rouge! (the movie...). He has lyrics like: "Me and my right hand like to play together/And then there's my thumb he's a grumpy/Well me and my thumb like to run/Like big stars we'll shine together/They're gonna love my baby tonight". And song titles like: The Caravan Cabaret, Disco Duck and Superglued to My Spaceship (where he sings about the Queen of Mars). Usually, I really don't recommend them, just because they are so far out there; but if you can get into them, a great musical ride.

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
currently I just got into Broken Social Scene after watching Half Nelson (which is in my top 5 favorite all time movies now).

all-time favorite band is either Radiohead, or Limp Bizkit. tough to decide between the two.

I'd go with Limp Bizkit. I heard they are coming out with a new album that is supposed to change rock forever. I can't wait

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I'd go with Limp Bizkit. I heard they are coming out with a new album that is supposed to change rock forever. I can't wait
Fred Durst is a poet. His lyrics are a thing of beauty. I've never heard someone rhyme "suck" with "fuck" more often, and with such passion.

Melmart1
08-15-2007, 10:54 AM
Not a band, but Alice Smith. There was this cool song playing at the tail end of the "Entourage" episode from a couple of weeks ago, the one where Drama fucked that fury. Anyhoo, I looked it up and her whole album is badass. You can hear a few tracks here: http://www.myspace.com/alicesmith

ashbeeigh
08-15-2007, 11:06 AM
I am counting down the days until Grey Holiday's CD comes out. Not only were they all from my high school, but they're going to be awesome once everyone hears about them. I'm not even kidding.

http://www.myspace.com/greyholiday

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Fred Durst is a poet. His lyrics are a thing of beauty. I've never heard someone rhyme "suck" with "fuck" more often, and with such passion.

He is so advanced it is hard for people and critics to understand him. I suggest you read this theory as it applies to Fred

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Theory

“ Advancement is a cultural condition in which an Advanced individual—i.e., a true genius—creates a piece of art that 99 percent of the population perceives to be bad. However, this is not because the work itself is flawed; this is because most consumers are not Advanced.

Leetonidas
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Not my all-time favorite, but I've been on a serious blink-182 binge for some time now.

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Not my all-time favorite, but I've been on a serious blink-182 binge for some time now.
yeah i like some blink. if ur gonna listen to pop/punk/emo, blink-182 is one of the few acceptable bands.

Leetonidas
08-15-2007, 11:21 AM
yeah i like some blink. if ur gonna listen to pop/punk/emo, blink-182 is one of the few acceptable bands.
Emo? :lol Pop Punk is right man. I still upsets me that they broke up, but shit happens I guess.

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Not a band, but Alice Smith. There was this cool song playing at the tail end of the "Entourage" episode from a couple of weeks ago, the one where Drama fucked that fury. Anyhoo, I looked it up and her whole album is badass. You can hear a few tracks here: http://www.myspace.com/alicesmith

hahah that Furry scene was CLASSIC!!

Melmart1
08-15-2007, 11:23 AM
hahah that Furry scene was CLASSIC!!
Dude, when I first heard the sound that chick was making, before they showed her, I thought it was a dog! I was about to throw up in my mouth a little.

cornbread
08-15-2007, 11:23 AM
I haven't been able to get enough of Between the Buried and Me for the last year or so.

And they're recording a new album!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREa-9o2ylE

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Is this Blink 182 talk about the same as the Limp Bizkit talk earlier?

Leetonidas
08-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Fuck Limp Bizkit. Blink 182 is awesome. Fred Durst is pathetic.

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Dude, when I first heard the sound that chick was making, before they showed her, I thought it was a dog! I was about to throw up in my mouth a little.

LOL

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Fuck Limp Bizkit. Blink 182 is awesome. Fred Durst is pathetic.

I was going to say the same about Blink 182.

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Limp sucked and I couldnt stand them......blink got old and annoying......But hey if you liked them then thats cool with me as long as I dont have to listen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Limp Bizkit and Blink 182 are both awesome bands, but for me I'm gonna go with KoRn. They're so fucking great. I've been a life-long fan of theirs and I gotta say: Their new album is the first album in a long time that I like every song. I can't stop listening to it.

mrsmaalox
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I am very old so I mostly do "Classic rock". The only real current music I listen to is whatever they play on NPR's World Cafe (I stream it all day). So lately my favorites are "The Black Seeds"(reggae) and the "Greenhornes"(pure rock n' roll). You can check out their websites for a sample; I would have added the links but I don't know how to do that!

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
I think the big difference for me is that Blink 182 realizes that their music isn't some transcendent experience, they just have fun with it. It's simple, stupid pop-punk and they're fine with it. They also don't diddle around on xanga trying to convince their fans that they fucked britney spears or paris hilton or whoever else.

They're like the musical equivalent of the movie Anchorman. Limp Bizkit, on the other hand, is more comparable to a shitty Michael Bay flick.

slimjoe
08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
I would have to say the Foo Fighters are my favorite band. I can't wait until the new CD comes out.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/news/0806/FooFight.jpg

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I would have to say the Foo Fighters are my favorite band. I can't wait until the new CD comes out.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/news/0806/FooFight.jpg

well they are my all time fav, but right now im loving me some QOTSA. Speaking of which, did you get your tickets?

Viva Las Espuelas
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
the mighty Mastadon, as always. I've also been in a bit of a KISS renaissance as of late. I don't know why. Nothing beyond the Asylum album. Ace Frehley was the best thing that happened to that band.

slimjoe
08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
well they are my all time fav, but right now im loving me some QOTSA. Speaking of which, did you get your tickets? Nah I still haven't got them yet. But they were charged to my account. Maybe they put them as will call.

jman3000
08-18-2007, 03:53 AM
I like this atrain guy.

jman3000
08-18-2007, 03:53 AM
well they are my all time fav, but right now im loving me some QOTSA. Speaking of which, did you get your tickets?

are you talking about the zona rosa show? im going to be going to that one... then heading up to dallas the next day for the house of blues show.

jman3000
08-18-2007, 04:27 AM
if i woulda known they were your favorite band... i woulda went to denny's.

The sone
08-19-2007, 02:00 AM
brand makes you poop...

ZStomp
08-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Black Label Society

http://yourposterworld.com/images/BLACK%20LABEL%20SOCIETY%20-%20BREWTALITY.JPGhttp://www.comunicazioneinterna.it/thumb/1/bls_band.jpg

The sone
08-19-2007, 12:14 PM
featuring zack "mild"...

emo serb
08-19-2007, 12:25 PM
my favoite has to be lostprophets, anyone else like them?

td4mvp21
08-19-2007, 02:33 PM
The Shins

ATRAIN
08-19-2007, 11:58 PM
are you talking about the zona rosa show? im going to be going to that one... then heading up to dallas the next day for the house of blues show.

YUP i will be there let me know where you will be and ill look for you. As far as Denny's yeah the service was crappy.....i ordered chicken strips and got buffalo wings, it was fun that night though you missed out. Ask Katy about the drunk guy at o'brians with the 3 cars haahhaha.

atxrocker
08-20-2007, 12:38 AM
my favoite has to be lostprophets, anyone else like them?

i do. their start something cd was actually pretty good. plus they're pretty damn good in concert.

favorite bands... have wayyy too many. but all this limp bizkit and blink 182 talk make me sick. i'm almost embarrassed to even post in this thread. i won FREE tickets to a blink 182 concert and they still managed to dissapoint me. shittiest concert EVER. fuck that piece of shit excuse of a band.

Leetonidas
08-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Limp Bizkit and Blink 182 are both awesome bands, but for me I'm gonna go with KoRn. They're so fucking great. I've been a life-long fan of theirs and I gotta say: Their new album is the first album in a long time that I like every song. I can't stop listening to it.
KoRn was awesome at the Family Values concert today. :tu

JMarkJohns
08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
After having ODed on various Chris Cornell projects, be it solo works like Euphoria Morning, or group works like Temple Of The Dog, I found a song that Chris collaberated with Layne Staley on, which returned me to my one true music love: Alice In Chains.

GD it, they don't get old, and their shits so damn different from album to album. Music Bank was the best investment of music I ever made. So many demos, live recordings and unreleased tracks... 50+ songs and not a bad one amongst the lot.

Beyond Alice, I'd have to say, of modern bands, that Deftones are next. B-Sides and Rarities is a fantastic album, including acoustic cuts of "Be Quiet and Drive" and "Change" as well as covers of "Simple Man", "No Ordinary Love" and various 80's bands like The Cure, Duran Duran and the Smiths... Throw in White Pony and Around the Fur and you've got some great variation without too much over-creativity.

u2sarajevo
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
White Stripes. Their recently released album isn't their best(deStijl) but it gets better every time I listen to it. I love how you can go without listening to one of their albums for awhile then come back later (months, year, etc...) and find a song that you have heard before but it seems to be speaking to you... like you found a little gem that you've been ignoring.

edit: and to top that off... Meg is smokin'....

oligarchy
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Strung Out -- their new album Blackhawks Over Los Angeles is win.

ATRAIN
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
White Stripes. Their recently released album isn't their best(deStijl) but it gets better every time I listen to it. I love how you can go without listening to one of their albums for awhile then come back later (months, year, etc...) and find a song that you have heard before but it seems to be speaking to you... like you found a little gem that you've been ignoring.

edit: and to top that off... Meg is smokin'....

I personally think the stripes new cd is really good.

CuckingFunt
08-20-2007, 08:02 PM
I personally think the stripes new cd is really good.Me too.

The only one that I seldom listen to fully is "Get Behind Me Satan". I like it on shuffle, but go for one of the others if I want to listen to them specifically.

dirk4mvp
08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Fall Out Boy :lol

srsly

L.I.T
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Switching my answer to The Elected and the new Suzanne Vega cd.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
KoRn was awesome at the Family Values concert today. :tu
:nutkick: You gotta go buy their new album. I couldn't go. :cry I hope I'll be able to make the fall tour in Corpus Christi.

Slinkyman
08-28-2007, 04:32 PM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5111/updatedversionlh5.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
08-28-2007, 04:34 PM
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5111/updatedversionlh5.jpgI see Fiona Apple has found that food is not bad for you.

DieMrBond
08-28-2007, 07:52 PM
http://www.resonancestore.com/unkle/items/12960.jpg

UNKLE - War Stories.

Absolutely brilliant album. Cant get it out of my car stereo. 'Restless' is even my ring tone.