PDA

View Full Version : There Will Be Blood

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 10:06 AM
A new PT Anderson film is finally here. And Daniel Day-Lewis, perhaps the greatest actor ever, is in it.

This adaptation of Oil!, a novel by Upton Sinclair, is a period piece taking place in the turn-of-the-century where a tycoon (Daniel Day-Lewis) strikes it rich after gaining oil rights to a family's ranch, turning the small town into a boomtown where a charismatic young preacher (Paul Dano) captivates churchgoers.

The studio describes it as "a story about family, greed, religion, and oil, centered on a turn-of-the-century Texas prospector in the early days of the business."

No release date yet, but it's supposed to be sometime this year, so I'm guessing it will be out in December to boost it's Oscar chances.

btw, if u don't know, PT Anderson is the director of Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch-Drunk Love. You either love him or hate him, but I think he's great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYW2ltW5SPo - teaser trailer

L.I.T
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh shit. How did I miss this?

monosylab1k
09-11-2007, 10:18 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/There_will_be_blood.jpg

monosylab1k
09-11-2007, 10:21 AM
December 26th release date

Also, Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead is doing the soundtrack.

leemajors
09-11-2007, 10:31 AM
hopefully it will be better than that godawful pos magnolia.

atxrocker
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
definitely gonna check this out. day lewis is money.

batman2883
09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
cant wait to see shoot em up with clive owen

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
btw, if u don't know, PT Anderson is the director of Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch-Drunk Love. You either love him or hate him, but I think he's great.

I love the first two but haven't seen the third. In fact, Magnolia is one of my favourite movies of all time, and I'm a huge Radiohead fan, so he new one sounds like compulsory viewing for me. Cheers mono.

Leemajors - what didn't you like about Magnolia?

leemajors
09-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I love the first two but haven't seen the third. In fact, Magnolia is one of my favourite movies of all time, and I'm a huge Radiohead fan, so he new one sounds like compulsory viewing for me. Cheers mono.

everything. drivel.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-12-2007, 10:25 AM
everything. drivel.

Each is entitled to his opinion, and sure there is some use of the deus ex machina device in the storytelling, but I found it to be a powerful tale about the way in which regret can cripple people's lives, and the painful redemption that can release them from the bonds of the past. But that's just my take...

Also, some of Tom Cruise's best work, actual acting. Great ensemble cast. Fantastic soundtrack, mostly by the soulful Aimee Mann, alongside some strategically placed Supertramp. Long, but ultimately very satisfying.

9/10

monosylab1k
09-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Magnolia before the frogs is my favorite movie of all time. It drops to 3rd after the frogs.

I've never seen a movie with as much raw emotion.

The moment where William H. Macy is drunk and finally works up the courage to tell the bartender he loves him is about as honest a scene i've ever watched.

Same with Julianne Moore's scene confessing to cheating on her dying husband and admitting to having "sucked other men's cocks".

Jon Brion's genius score takes everything to another level as well.

PT Anderson can be really pretentious, but he creates some incredible drama.

monosylab1k
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM

You should definitely check out Punch Drunk Love, it's definitely different than anything PT Anderson has done before. Plus, you'll see Adam Sandler do some real acting, he's excellent.

PDL should have been a much bigger hit, but every idiot out there was expecting Sandler to spout out his usual bevy of dick n' fart jokes, and when he didn't they all hated it.

Spurminator
09-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Loved Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights... hated Magnolia at the time but I'd like to watch it again.

leemajors
09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
magnolia actually convinced me that orgazmo may have been a better movie than boogie nights.

TheTruth
09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Daniel Day Lewis is the greatest actor of the last 20+ years. PTA is a little overrated. Boogie Nights was good. PDL was decent. Magnolia was shit.

I'm gonna watch this one for DDL, and I won't be dissappointed. Guaranteed.

Mister Sinister
09-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm watching it for the Upton Sinclair adaptation.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Magnolia before the frogs is my favorite movie of all time. It drops to 3rd after the frogs.

I've never seen a movie with as much raw emotion.

The moment where William H. Macy is drunk and finally works up the courage to tell the bartender he loves him is about as honest a scene i've ever watched.

Same with Julianne Moore's scene confessing to cheating on her dying husband and admitting to having "sucked other men's cocks".

Jon Brion's genius score takes everything to another level as well.

PT Anderson can be really pretentious, but he creates some incredible drama.

Hell, yes.

And the frogs was the "deus ex machina" device I was referring to. Apparently that has actually happened (ie. frogs falling from the sky), although I doubt with the ferocity and duration witnessed in the movie!

Amen to your commentary on the scenes, and add to that the scene where the cop, Jim, and Claudia talk about being honest with each other in the restaurant... and Phillip Seymour Hoffman's scenes with the dying Earl... and Tom Cruise with the interviewer... so much dramatic power in this movie.

I am surprised it polarises people as it does, but that is certainly confirmed on the IMDB page.

monosylab1k
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm gonna watch this one for DDL, and I won't be dissappointed. Guaranteed.
He might be the greatest actor ever. He's been in very few bad movies, and had zero bad performances. Actually, he's had zero performances that were anything less than spectacular.

monosylab1k
01-04-2008, 01:17 AM
this movie opens in wider release tomorrow! go see it!

atxrocker
01-04-2008, 01:29 AM
pretty excited about seeing this one

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Hmmmm... must get to Oz in about 2 weeks then.

monosylab1k
01-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I saw this earlier today, and Daniel Day Lewis delivers big time (as if there was any doubt). He and Paul Dano both were incredible.

The flick does suffer from p.t.anderson-itis in that it's a bit overlong and probably would have benefited from being about 15 minutes shorter. But then again, that's 15 minutes less of Daniel Day Lewis. I could have watched his performance for hours. I don't know how this guy is so money in everything he does. Just amazing. He's the greatest actor ever.

leemajors
01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I saw this earlier today, and Daniel Day Lewis delivers big time (as if there was any doubt). He and Paul Dano both were incredible.

The flick does suffer from p.t.anderson-itis in that it's a bit overlong and probably would have benefited from being about 15 minutes shorter. But then again, that's 15 minutes less of Daniel Day Lewis. I could have watched his performance for hours. I don't know how this guy is so money in everything he does. Just amazing. He's the greatest actor ever.
i'll take peter sellers, and get in the question before pussyface - lewis or dicaprio?

slayermin
01-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I always thought dude wrote Magnolia watching Short Cuts. Altman was the real master.

As for Daniel Day-Lewis, he's a great actor. But I think he has several cotemporaries that are just as good or better than him.

monosylab1k
01-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I always thought dude wrote Magnolia watching Short Cuts.
yeah he pretty much said he did.

monosylab1k
01-05-2008, 02:07 PM
i'll take peter sellers, and get in the question before pussyface - lewis or dicaprio?
:lol that's a tough one. even though it breaks my heart to do so, i gotta go with DDL.

Xylus
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
monosylab1k is an annoying douchebag who should kill himself, but he has great tastes in movies and music. Go see this movie. *Thumbs up*

monosylab1k
01-05-2008, 08:01 PM
monosylab1k is an annoying douchebag who should kill himself, but he has great tastes in movies and music. Go see this movie. *Thumbs up*
it's a great movie. it doesn't suck nearly as much dick as Xylus does.

Spurminator
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
This was one of those really great movies that I may not ever see again. Very well made, well performed, well scored, well shot... and yet not something that I feel like I'll ever need to have in the DVD collection. Kind of like No Country for Old Men.

G-Nob
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I really enjoyed this movie. The first 15 min of silence is great and then you hear Plainview say, "Ladies and Gentlemen..." Such a brilliant performance by DDL. He just amazes me. I drew a parrallel to his character in Gangs of New York. I guess when he Americanizes his voice, he still feels compelled to grunt a bit more. But to take Bill the Butcher and speak not only with an NY accent but with an old NY accent was genius. He does a magnificent job in this movie and you can tell he really does transform Plainview as he gets older and richer. Best Actor nod, no doubt. I just can't think of any better performances this year in that category.

CuckingFunt
01-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Saw this tonight, and thought it was fantastic.

I was so sucked into the film, in fact, that I barely even flinched when my cousin calmly pointed out a rat munching on popcorn a few rows up.

BeerIsGood!
01-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Saw this tonight, and thought it was fantastic.

I was so sucked into the film, in fact, that I barely even flinched when my cousin calmly pointed out a rat munching on popcorn a few rows up.

What movie theater do you go to?

BeerIsGood!
01-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Daniel Day Lewis is definitely an underrated actor.

CuckingFunt
01-10-2008, 02:22 AM
What movie theater do you go to?
I'm on vacation in New York. I was at the Regal Cinema in Union Square.

It was a surprisingly nice theater, otherwise. Lots of screens, comfy seats, fairly clean, just... has a bit of a rodent problem, apparently.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 02:25 AM
hopefully it will be better than that godawful pos magnolia.

i thought magnolia was great.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Johnny Depp FTW (look at the stuff he did BEFORE he became a mega-star... also, no-one else on the planet could have done Hunter S that well).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2008, 04:53 AM
i thought magnolia was great.

It was! Watched it again the other night and it still is! Don't worry, leemajors is just lacking a soul... (j/k)

Johngateswhiteley, what does your signature mean?

Xylus
01-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Very rarely does a film stick with me a week after seeing it, but my urge to see it a second time is almost as strong as my urge to see it the first time. There Will Be Blood is the best movie I've seen since... I don't know, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most natural performances I've ever seen (and for a character that's rather...unnatural), and Paul Dano is electrifying.

Can't wait to see this one again.

spursfor
01-16-2008, 01:34 AM
I've been waiting to see this film for months and it finally hits here on Friday. I've yet to hear a bad thing about DDL or the film itself. This is one of the very few things I hate about San Antonio, the fact that we don't get many films like this and when we do, they're only here for a week or two.

pussyface
01-16-2008, 01:16 PM
There Will Be Blood is the best movie I've seen since... I don't know, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the most natural performances I've ever seen (and for a character that's rather...unnatural), and Paul Dano is electrifying.

Can't wait to see this one again.

this movie was awesome. its part of a tradition of american filmmaking that will remind you of epic movies like 'giant' and 'citizen cane.' ...or 'eternal sunshine of the spotlight mind' (is this intended as a joke, or you really liked this jim carrey emo-fag magnet?)

Day Lewis gives "the most natural performance." is this meant ironically? he is awesome in it, but 'natural'? this is that operatic, anything but natural type of acting as everyone who knows about film acting has mentioned.

"Paul Dano is electrifying." You should be writing movie reviews for the third most popular newspaper in San Jose. I didn't know real people talk like hacky film critics.

in, conclusion, tone it down.

also, magnolia is 100 times over superior to shortcuts. it is proof that just because something is influenced by something else doesn't mean that the new creation won't blow away its inspiration in every respect.

pussyface
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
This is one of the very few things I hate about San Antonio, the fact that we don't get many films like this and when we do, they're only here for a week or two.

check yourself.... this is a sure sign that you are living in a cultural wasteland

pussyface
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
get in the question before pussyface - lewis or dicaprio?

more often than not, monosyl beats off to dicaprio, but when he beats off to day-lewis he can still respect himself in the morning due to daniel's superior skills as a thespian.

Spurminator
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
this movie was awesome. its part of a tradition of american filmmaking that will remind you of epic movies like 'giant' and 'citizen cane.' ...or 'eternal sunshine of the spotlight mind' (is this intended as a joke, or you really liked this jim carrey emo-fag magnet?)

Day Lewis gives "the most natural performance." is this meant ironically? he is awesome in it, but 'natural'? this is that operatic, anything but natural type of acting as everyone who knows about film acting has mentioned.

"Paul Dano is electrifying." You should be writing movie reviews for the third most popular newspaper in San Jose. I didn't know real people talk like hacky film critics.

in, conclusion, tone it down.

also, magnolia is 100 times over superior to shortcuts. it is proof that just because something is influenced by something else doesn't mean that the new creation won't blow away its inspiration in every respect.

:lmao

Great take.

And I liked the emo-faggy Jim Carrey movie, but in spite of Carrey.

monosylab1k
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
more often than not, monosyl beats off to dicaprio, but when he beats off to day-lewis he can still respect himself in the morning due to daniel's superior skills as a thespian.
wow a pussyface sighting.

pussyface knows a thing or two about how a man feels after beating off to another man.

pussyface.
01-16-2008, 03:44 PM
pussyface knows a thing or two about how a man feels after beating off to another man.
lol hell yeah i do!

pussyface
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
wow a pussyface sighting.

you have a long history of making jokes that will not make anyone laugh. its safe to say that this is a typically uninspired example

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Loved Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights... hated Magnolia at the time but I'd like to watch it again.

Liked Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights...I'm with you on Magnolia. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to appreciate Magnolia the first time. In spite of all the rave reviews I left that movie very disappointed, but it's happened before where I've seen a movie a second time and appreciated it a lot more.

spursfor
01-16-2008, 08:34 PM
check yourself.... this is a sure sign that you are living in a cultural wasteland
Believe me nobody wants to leave SA more than I d, as far as culture goes, this city blows. I'm getting my ticket for this bad boy tomorrow, I can't wait.

pussyface
01-17-2008, 12:40 AM
culture?

crofl

anyone who uses the word 'culture' in serious fashion is...well..lame

...?

further explanation would definitely be warrented here if you have any point you are trying to get across.

Findog
01-17-2008, 01:34 AM
This was one of those really great movies that I may not ever see again. Very well made, well performed, well scored, well shot... and yet not something that I feel like I'll ever need to have in the DVD collection.

That's exactly how I feel about Requiem for a Dream. Saw it once, never want to see it again.

atxrocker
01-17-2008, 03:28 AM
requiem for a dream is a great movie. i've seen it several times and it never gets old.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
...best picture of the year (yes, even better than No Country For Old Men)

I did think the final 20 minutes trailed off slightly and seemed somewhat rushed, but the scope and magnitude of PT Anderson's film blows away anything else he's done to date.

Also, DD Lewis deserves his 2nd oscar, even if his character was highly derivative of Bill the Butcher from Gangs of New York.

jaffies
01-19-2008, 04:43 AM
http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/1/16/idrinksurmilk128449947294290000.jpg

monosylab1k
01-20-2008, 01:17 AM
http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/1/16/idrinksurmilk128449947294290000.jpg
:lol