PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Sirius radios?

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 12:02 PM
I have the oldest Sirius radio you can get and I'm looking for a new one. Does anyone know how the Stiletto works? It says it is portable, but could I use it in my car without headphones? and Can you get reception without an car adapter?

mrsmaalox
08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I have the oldest Sirius radio you can get and I'm looking for a new one. Does anyone know how the Stiletto works? It says it is portable, but could I use it in my car without headphones? and Can you get reception without an car adapter?
I LOVE Sirius. The one I have (Starmate?) goes in the car and the house. The car needs that little stick on anntenna and then you just tune your radio to the recommended frequency--no headphones. My car has a navigation system so I think there is a way I can make it permanent by hooking into the satellite antenna but I haven't figured that out yet.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
AFAIK, the Stiletto has an internal receiver as well as the ability to connect to a home/car antenna.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Amazon customer reviews seem to be a mixed bag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000IM88EA/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop/102-5541222-9262510?ie=UTF8&m=A2JUPN4BTA3CZV&n=172282&s=electronics&customer-reviews.start=1#R34U6RQX3Z2DAJ

MrChug
08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty happy with the S50 although the radio function is not portable. It can be mounted and removed from your car and has MP3 capacity. You can keep about 75 songs or so on it...so not much but it serves it's purpose. It's not just a sattelite radio. You can also record hours and hours of shows on it, i.e. if you want to record Raw Dog or the Jaime Fox show every weekday from 7-9 a.m. you can listen to it until you erase it. There's a boombox that you can buy to use it with (portable of course), and a home system where you can load all the software on to your computer and control the S50, or simply play it from your radio once you install the antenna. It's a pretty good choice and the most versatile if you have the ability to buy all the bells and whistles.

slimjoe
08-15-2007, 12:29 PM
I love my Sirius Radio. I don't know how I would get through the day without my daily dose of Howard Stern. Sirius just announced a new radio with a color screen it looks slick. They also just annouced the Stilletto 2 coming out this fall. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rainbow-power/sirius-sportster-5-goes-color-289683.php

slimjoe
08-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Here is the Stiletto 2. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/more-from-sirius/sirius-stiletto-2-is-officially-official-289699.php

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Here is the Stiletto 2. http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/more-from-sirius/sirius-stiletto-2-is-officially-official-289699.php

I'll be in my bunk.

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I wanna get one which one has the best interface?

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
AFAIK, the Stiletto has an internal receiver as well as the ability to connect to a home/car antenna.

so buying a Starmate is pointless when it's the same price at the Stiletto?

Here is my problem which will explain why I ask. I have a plug and play mounted in my car. I'm in a business which I need to go on road trips from time to time.I can't go any long distance without my Sirius radio. What I would normally do is take my plug and play out of my car with the car adapter, and leave the antenna, which is impossible to take out of my car (atleast for me). I would use my home antenna and just stick it on my dash and it would work fine. Now my anetnna broke, and I have to drive to Chicago in the morning. I want to buy a radio that I can do the same as what I was doing (using the radio in my car, and using the home antenna to take in cars that don't have a stationary antenna). I think the Stiletto can work for me, but I wasn't sure how it picks up signal

ATRAIN
08-15-2007, 01:44 PM
I am thinking about getting this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069892_298243808,00.html?compName=PNA_V 3_ProductDetailsComponent

it I have a Pioneer DEH-P5500MP, it says older models use a "All 2005 and previous model year CD Players, A/V Receivers and Navigation Systems control the SIR-PNR2 through "External Unit" compatibility only. This includes 1-line, 8-character display and basic operation features. Consult the Owner's Manual for more details."

does anyone know if this will work? Slimjoe what do you think?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 01:48 PM
so buying a Starmate is pointless when it's the same price at the Stiletto?

Here is my problem which will explain why I ask. I have a plug and play mounted in my car. I'm in a business which I need to go on road trips from time to time.I can't go any long distance without my Sirius radio. What I would normally do is take my plug and play out of my car with the car adapter, and leave the antenna, which is impossible to take out of my car (atleast for me). I would use my home antenna and just stick it on my dash and it would work fine. Now my anetnna broke, and I have to drive to Chicago in the morning. I want to buy a radio that I can do the same as what I was doing (using the radio in my car, and using the home antenna to take in cars that don't have a stationary antenna). I think the Stiletto can work for me, but I wasn't sure how it picks up signal

If I were in your position, I would keep a spare car antenna around and transfer your Starmate if you need reception without personal testing immediately.

When I went to DC last year, I took my plug-and-play Sportster and antenna with me. I just looped it through the back seat of my rental car and onto the trunk.

Thunder Dan
08-15-2007, 01:51 PM
If I were in your position, I would keep a spare car antenna around and transfer your Starmate if you need reception without personal testing immediately.

When I went to DC last year, I took my plug-and-play Sportster and antenna with me. I just looped it through the back seat of my rental car and onto the trunk.

yeah see my radio is so old they stopped making stuff for it (see it below). So when I was looking I saw the new Sportster for $140 and the Stiletto 10 was $140. So I thought the Stiletto might be the better buy becuase of it's other features

http://www.bulverdehometheater.com/images/siriustuner.jpg

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 02:14 PM
That's weird that you can't find an antenna for your unit. Have you tried Radio Shack?

Either way, the Stiletto might be a better buy if you like the added save features and such. I just wouldn't rely on its built-in antenna alone on this trip of yours. It should have its own car antenna with it (I would think) and just use that for your trip until you can get home and play with it some more.

slimjoe
08-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Tss Radio has a lot of old parts if you are looking for any.
http://www.tss-radio.com/

leemajors
08-16-2007, 07:26 PM
my sportster 2 replay just crapped out on me today. i guess i'll go with the sportster 4. sucks the docks aren't the same as the older ones.

midgetonadonkey
08-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Sportster 4 is badass.

davi78239
08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I also have a sportster 4 and I love it! The only thing is that the FCC has weakened the FM transmitters tremendously to all the newer recievers (like the SP4) and you'll need a FM direct adapter or a stereo with an aux input to hear it static free. Or, you can go buy a separate FM transmitter from a place like wal-mart for about 25 or 30 bucks which are much better than the built in one that's in the SP4.

leemajors
08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I also have a sportster 4 and I love it! The only thing is that the FCC has weakened the FM transmitters tremendously to all the newer recievers (like the SP4) and you'll need a FM direct adapter or a stereo with an aux input to hear it static free. Or, you can go buy a separate FM transmitter from a place like wal-mart for about 25 or 30 bucks which are much better than the built in one that's in the SP4.
works fine on my cars. i agree with midge so far, it kicks ass. i liked my old one, but this is better. i like that they lowered the voltage from 12v to 5v, hopefully it runs a bit cooler than the sportster 2... only thing that sucks is the power plugs are different sizes, meaning my home plug is useless. i bet i can find one cheap at radio shack though.

davi78239
08-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Yes, it runs a lot smoother and is sleeker than the old sportsters. Those older Sirius radios were like bricks!

AlamoSpursFan
08-17-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm not exactly sure what model I had, but I know it was one of the cheapest. It met its' demise thanks to a short in my car's electrical system. If you keep yours in the car, I'd strongly advise taking it off the base and stashing it somewhere, because you never know when that 12 volt gremlin is going to fry your unit.

I upgraded to (again, not sure of the model) a nicer unit (the $67 one at Wally World) and what I can't figure out is it doesn't work with my home kit, but it works with the car kit from the old unit. It just says "Acquiring signal".

I'm so addicted to that damn satellite, I had withdrawals when the old one burned out. Gotta have my NASCAR 128, my Raw Dog 104, and my Hair Nation 23.

tsb2000
08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
All old units are non-compatible with the new ones as far as cables, home kits, etc. You've got to buy a new receiver- then all of them are compatible with the new equipment. I exchanged an old starmate for the Sportster 4, and had to buy a new home kit, etc.

If you can listen on your PC at work, just get it over the internet. The thing about all of Sirius' hardware is that it's kinda cheap. I haven't had anything last over a year. If you just listen in the car, consider a new deck that is Sirius-ready. I love Sirius, and can't get through a work day w/o BTLS, but I won't buy another receiver from them.

fwiw :)

leemajors
08-17-2007, 11:03 AM
All old units are non-compatible with the new ones as far as cables, home kits, etc. You've got to buy a new receiver- then all of them are compatible with the new equipment. I exchanged an old starmate for the Sportster 4, and had to buy a new home kit, etc.

If you can listen on your PC at work, just get it over the internet. The thing about all of Sirius' hardware is that it's kinda cheap. I haven't had anything last over a year. If you just listen in the car, consider a new deck that is Sirius-ready. I love Sirius, and can't get through a work day w/o BTLS, but I won't buy another receiver from them.

my sportster 2 lasted for over 2 years. i can buy other cables cheaper so i should be able to rig it into my home theater receiver.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-17-2007, 11:26 AM
I had my Visor for about a year of usage and finally sold it (working) to somebody a few months back.

I've had my Sportster Replay for about 1.5 years with no problems.

FWIW.

SequSpur
08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
are you sirius?

AlamoSpursFan
08-17-2007, 11:46 AM

But why would it work with the old car kit but not the home kit?

:dizzy

leemajors
08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
But why would it work with the old car kit but not the home kit?

:dizzy
from what i saw, the power adapters are just different - fm transmitter and antenna cables are the same. it's a 5v instead of a 12v power adapter.

tsb2000
08-17-2007, 03:51 PM
from what i saw, the power adapters are just different - fm transmitter and antenna cables are the same. it's a 5v instead of a 12v power adapter.

What he said. :spin I've got a Sportster 4 that I've had about a year, and the cables again won't stay plugged in. This thing stays on my dashboard, never moves. This unit replaced a Starmate Replay that had a display problem.

Just my own experience. If you don't need the hardware, just get the Internet subscription or a built-in in your car. Just IMO :)

Thunder Dan
08-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Since all I listen to is Sirius, I took the antenna off my car and the FM transmitter works perfect because there is no interference.

FYI, I never did buy another Sirius radio for my short trip. I had to pick up a pretty badass car (2007 Vette), which had XM. If I had it to do all over I would buy the Sirius radio. XM sucks ass

midgetonadonkey
08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I just got an email the other day about the Sonos. It looks badass.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1186596312131

Thunder Dan
08-18-2007, 08:51 AM

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1186596312131

yeah those look awesome but they are crazy expensive

The sone
08-19-2007, 01:58 AM
it sucks...

tsb2000
08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Since all I listen to is Sirius, I took the antenna off my car and the FM transmitter works perfect because there is no interference.

FYI, I never did buy another Sirius radio for my short trip. I had to pick up a pretty badass car (2007 Vette), which had XM. If I had it to do all over I would buy the Sirius radio. XM sucks ass

You could have got a converter for that XM radio in the Vette. Sirius sells them for all GM cars.

ShoogarBear
08-19-2007, 04:26 PM

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1186596312131I've had Sonos for a couple of years now. They are sweet. Only problem is there's not complete compatibility with iTunes.

The latest update to the Sonos software comes with a 30-day free trial to Sirius radio. So I'll be checking that out even though I hate Howard Stern. But I don't see any way I'm gonna pay an extra $13/month for it.

Thunder Dan
08-19-2007, 04:46 PM
You could have got a converter for that XM radio in the Vette. Sirius sells them for all GM cars.

I was just driving it, it's not my car. I have a trailblazer and have sirius in it

scott
08-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Question...

On these plug and play units - does it have the output to connect to a Sirius ready head unit? The idea of using an FM modulator doesn't fly with me - but I'm finally getting around to putting in an aftermarket deck into my car that is Sirius ready. I don't want just the in-car tuner, however, since then I won't be able to take it inside.

Short of the output for the Sirius ready radios, can I output into the deck's AUX input using RCA cables?

Thunder Dan
08-20-2007, 01:41 PM
This guy I work with just told me his sons each just purchased a XM radio. What idiots. Why would anyone spend money on XM unless they had to

ATRAIN
08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
This guy I work with just told me his sons each just purchased a XM radio. What idiots. Why would anyone spend money on XM unless they had to

well they merged.......hopefully depending on congress it will all be the same.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/mlb_xm.jpg