PDA

View Full Version : 14man roster

DR WU
08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
14MAN ROSTER

In order to better manage payroll, it seems the Spurs will go with a 14 man roster. With the Udoka acquisition, that leaves one slot available. Which, will undoubtedly go to Mahimni as a rookie deal.

Having Mahimni under contract will free us up to continue grooming him in the DLeague. The same cannot be said for Marcus Williams who, without a deal will have to undergo the DLeague draft and may not land on the Toros at all.

Nevertheless, the roster will be set at 14 and it will be good to moniter Mahimni's progress locally. Udoka is a good sign as long as his legs are underneath him. Overall, we're in pretty good shape as the returning World Champions. Let's get ready to do it again!

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Is there a source on this? It's awfully early in the offseason to be making a statement like that.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Good questions, but the Udoka signing is not confirmed yet, is it?

SpursWillOwn
08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
14MAN ROSTER

In order to better manage payroll, it seems the Spurs will go with a 14 man roster. With the Udoka acquisition, that leaves one slot available. Which, will undoubtedly go to Mahimni as a rookie deal.

Having Mahimni under contract will free us up to continue grooming him in the DLeague. The same cannot be said for Marcus Williams who, without a deal will have to undergo the DLeague draft and may not land on the Toros at all.

Nevertheless, the roster will be set at 14 and it will be good to moniter Mahimni's progress locally. Udoka is a good sign as long as his legs are underneath him. Overall, we're in pretty good shape as the returning NBA Champions. Let's get ready to do it again!

DR WU
08-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Is there a source on this? It's awfully early in the offseason to be making a statement like that.

Yes, there is a source (a good one) but I won't reveal who it is because I want to keep their confidence.

mcdunk
08-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes, there is a source (a good one) but I won't reveal who it is because I want to keep their confidence.

What makes you think Spanoulis will stay with the Spurs? I dont think he will and think Williams will be signed. The deadline to sign Williams is early September.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Is his name Jonathan? Does he say "chow" when he hangs up the phone? The Spurs haven't actually signed Udoka yet. How good a source can he be?

zekes
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Is his name Jonathan? Does he say "chow" when he hangs up the phone? The Spurs haven't actually signed Udoka yet. How good a source can he be?

:lol

Solid D
08-15-2007, 03:51 PM

DR Z is famous for his work at Sports Illustrated....oh, it's DR WU, nevermind. :depressed

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
DR Z is famous for his work at Sports Illustrated....oh, it's DR WU, nevermind. :depressed

I have a source that claims that DR Z and DR WU are one and the same! :drunk

AFBlue
08-15-2007, 04:00 PM
14MAN ROSTER

Nevertheless, the roster will be set at 14 and it will be good to moniter Mahimni's progress locally. Udoka is a good sign as long as his legs are underneath him. Overall, we're in pretty good shape as the returning World Champions. Let's get ready to do it again!

There's been no indication that Marcus Williams won't be brought onboard for the standard two-year deal with an option for the second year.

I understand that "no indication" typically doesn't mean anything, but the Spurs FO has been tipping its hand and leaking hints through Ludden thus far this summer.

1. Newman talked about how Jackie Butler needed opportunity before he was shipped.

2. Ludden kept questioning whether White was going to make it past a "pay me" deadline with comments from coaching staff about their dissapointment, and he was let go.

3. Ludden wrote about Udoka as a potential target for the Spurs and it appears they're on the cusp of adding him.

Again, I'm not saying that no news is good news (if you are Williams or want him on this team), but I don't think it's bad news.

I think if Williams continues to show his dedication to defense in training camp, they'll give him a roster spot. Biggest thing he's got going for him to redeem himself...time.

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 04:03 PM
I have a source that claims that DR Z and DR WU are one and the same! :drunk
Didn't he pick the Broncos to beat the 49ers?

Solid D
08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
DR WU, I was just messin' around but seriously, it's too early to know about the Spurs' plans with Marcus Williams. Udoka isn't a done deal and Mahinmi is just wishing and hoping to be a Spur with nothing decided. So, right now it's a 12-man roster.

More than likely the Spurs will start training camp with at least 15 players...in fact, it's not unusual for them to open camp with 17-20 players. Last September, the Spurs opened camp with 14 under contract plus 6 others.

Solid D
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
3. Ludden wrote about Udoka as a potential target for the Spurs and it appears they're on the cusp of adding him.

BTW, Johnny Ludden usually takes some time off during the off-season. He hasn't written a Spurs article for 3 weeks.

barbacoataco
08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I would be surprised if they didn't sign Marcus Williams. It would be strange to use the #33 pick on a young college player, and then throw it away. In my imagination I had Mahinmi and Williams on the IR and playing for the Toros.