PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire's Summer Of Content

duncan228
08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/stoudemire_070813.html

Stoudemire’s Summer of Content

By Stefan Swiat, Suns.com

What a difference a year made for superstar center Amaré Stoudemire.

In the summer of 2006, the former NBA Rookie of the Year was mired in the most frustrating offseason of his young career. After playing in just three games during the regular season following microfracture surgery on his knee, new setbacks due to swelling and inflammation meant being shut down yet again.

But after averaging 20.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 1.3 blocks during the 2006-07 season, the pendulum has finally swung back in favor of Stoudemire.

As soon as the season concluded, word circulated around the organization that he was already in the gym and training relentlessly.

When asked what led him to take such a short respite before getting back to work, Stoudemire answered with one word.

“Motivation.”

After the way the playoffs ended, no further explanation was needed. But how did he channel his motivation? USA Basketball practices, four-a-day workouts, history classes at ASU and even Pilates were just the beginning.

“I can’t stop playing basketball," Stoudemire said. "I can’t stop lifting weights. I want my body to be shredded and my game on point.”

Looking lean and limber, Stoudemire credits his eating and exercise habits for his sleek new frame.

“Chicken, fish and turkey," he added. "I think that keeps me very lean. A lot of people are saying that I lost weight, but I haven’t. I’m still 245. But I’m chiseled.”

For five weeks, Stoudemire maintained a grueling training regimen that began with weight lifting in the morning, individual skill development in the afternoon, Pilates in the early evening and pro-am league games at night. He followed this program five days a week, allowing his body the weekends to recuperate.

When running through basketball drills, the 24-year old didn’t just concentrate on developing one pet move. Instead, he took a comprehensive approach in hopes of sculpting a more well-rounded game. Ballhandling, off-the-dribble shooting and 3-point shooting were just some of the areas he targeted.

In addition to everything he has done individually, the All-NBA forward traveled to Las Vegas to practice with USA Basketball. Convinced that the team is more focused and ready for international competition this time around, Stoudemire predicts nothing but success in the FIBA America Tournament later this month.

He also believes that he can serve the team in a unique manner.

“There is no other center in the league that can play on the wing." "That’s the benefit I bring to the USA team.”

For the 2007-08 season, Stoudemire has set his sights anywhere but low.

“Wouldn’t it be great to win a gold medal and a world championship?” STAT said. “Those are my two all-time goals. To be able to have that by the age of 25, that would be huge.”

By judging how ferociously he has pursued those goals, they don’t seem so far out of reach.

SpursDynasty
08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Cool.

It's good to see other players who got tossed by the Spurs finding content with themselves. They'll need it, because by this time next year, they will be once again tossed from the playoffs with no ring. And Stoudemire knows nothing about NBA championships, so he should stop his little "Have a championship by age 25" bullshit.

:lol

mbass
08-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Cool.

It's good to see other players who got tossed by the Spurs finding content with themselves. They'll need it, because by this time next year, they will be once again tossed from the playoffs with no ring. And Stoudemire knows nothing about NBA championships, so he should stop his little "Have a championship by age 25" bullshit.

Amare is georgeous BUT - what can he do to improve his IQ over the summer?

N4th4n
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Mabey by taking class at a college. Oh wait is doing that.........

Obstructed_View
08-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Suns player working on offense all summer long. Big surprise. He needs to practice not fouling. The Suns don't lose to the Spurs because Amare's offensive game is incomplete. Unless he figures out a way to make his baskets count four points each that's not going to do his team a lot of good.

Switchman
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
I want to see him reach his potential. This guy is a beast.

Nashfan
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Oh, the irony of this statement. Care to explain what georgeous means?? :lol

Nashfan
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Hate to say this, but you need to learn how to spell also. :rolleyes

Nashfan
08-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Cool.

You are one strange person, but I guess you have already been told that by many people on this site. :)

JMarkJohns
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Suns player working on offense all summer long. Big surprise. He needs to practice not fouling. The Suns don't lose to the Spurs because Amare's offensive game is incomplete. Unless he figures out a way to make his baskets count four points each that's not going to do his team a lot of good.

Agreed, but think a lot of Amare's confusion on defense stems from D'Antoni's blindeye towards it. I don't think Amare would be allowed to defend, even if he learned how.

It sounds crazy, but D'Antoni has said repeatedly that he likes Amare running the break, not battling for boards or muscling up. He's basically using Amare as a SF at the five spot.

For what it's worth, I honestly think Amare played better defense as a rookie under Frank Johnson, a defensive-minded coach, when it was instinctual and reactive than he does now, where its "should I or shouldn't I" uncertainty gets him in situations where he's having to subdue instincts and reactions and ends up making him appear lazy and unsure.

Remember, he's not supposed to foul... ever. So, if his position is compromised, which occurs regularly since he's so passive now he just gives it up, and his shot-blocking instincts kick in, instead of sticking with them, staying straight up and what not, he half-heartedly slaps or bumps.

It's all very confusing, but believe me, I've put a lot of thought into this. I've reviewed some rookie-year tape, and, while he certainly fouled a lot, they were agressive fouls. Now, they are passive aggressive at best, and uninspired at worst. He's almost neutered on that end.

ducks
08-15-2007, 07:39 PM
amare under pop would play d and be deadly

yourcheatinheart
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/576953119_94280fd71d_o.jpg

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 07:04 AM
When a dominant physical talent like Amare is working on becoming a wing player, you know there's something seriously fucked up in the team philosophy.

mbass
08-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Oh, the irony of this statement. Care to explain what georgeous means?? :lol

It's the British spelling.

SRJ
08-16-2007, 12:10 PM
This guy may be a moron, but you have to respect his willingness to work at the game as much as he does.

Still, it'll be fun to beat them again next year.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
I respect his work ethic, but he can't be any more fearsome than he was in 2005 unless he starts to play defense, and until then, he doesn't worry me.

duncan228
08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I respect his work ethic, but he can't be any more fearsome than he was in 2005 unless he starts to play defense, and until then, he doesn't worry me.

Agreed.

He was a monster in '05. But only with defense added to his game will he ever be a real threat. Offense alone doesn't win Championships.

I want to like the guy, he is talented, physically gifted.
But it's so hard for me to get past him opening his mouth. His ego and bravado turn me off.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Agreed.

He was a monster in '05. But only with defense added to his game will he ever be a real threat. Offense alone doesn't win Championships.

I want to like the guy, he is talented, physically gifted.
But it's so hard for me to get past him opening his mouth. His ego and bravado turn me off.
I think he's immensely talented, but when he put his forearm into Manu's throat and then took issue with getting kicked in the nuts, it told me all I need to know about him.

duncan228
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
I think he's immensely talented, but when he put his forearm into Manu's throat and then took issue with getting kicked in the nuts, it told me all I need to know about him.

Pretty much.

SpursDynasty
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
What's funny to me is he's already claiming the NBA championship by saying "Wouldn't it be great to win a gold medal and a championship?". You have to go out and play for it.

SRJ
08-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Maybe when it's all said and done, Amare will be this generation's Karl Malone? Big strong guy, gets up and down the floor as well as anyone, works out like a maniac in the offseason, gets dirty with anyone smaller than himself, can't win a title despite playing with the best point guard in basketball. His jumper's not as good as Malone's and Malone was a better passer and defender, but Amare is much more explosive.

oligarchy
08-16-2007, 03:20 PM
What's funny to me is he's already claiming the NBA championship by saying "Wouldn't it be great to win a gold medal and a championship?". You have to go out and play for it.

Literacy helps. "Wouldn't it be great", means that it's a hope. As in, wouldn't it be great if you weren't an embarrassment as a Spurs fan.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Literacy helps. "Wouldn't it be great", means that it's a hope. As in, wouldn't it be great if you weren't an embarrassment as a Spurs fan.

Johnny RIngo
08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Maybe when it's all said and done, Amare will be this generation's Karl Malone? Big strong guy, gets up and down the floor as well as anyone, works out like a maniac in the offseason, gets dirty with anyone smaller than himself, can't win a title despite playing with the best point guard in basketball. His jumper's not as good as Malone's and Malone was a better passer and defender, but Amare is much more explosive.

Amare's a bitch. Even the current NBA's too physical for him. He'd be eaten alive playing in the 90s against the likes of Malone, Oakley, Rodman, etc.

If Amare wasn't a bball player he'd be in jail like the rest of his thug family.

SpursDynasty
08-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Stoudemire must be tired of losing to the Spurs.

He's lost to them in 2003, 2005, and 2007. The funny thing is, the Suns team in 2003 before they had Nash got the closest.

Nashfan
08-17-2007, 10:54 PM
It's the British spelling.

The British spelling of what??

Nashfan
08-17-2007, 10:58 PM

I don't think you really can say much about Amare's physical play when the Spurs play that way themselves. Though I guess you might be able to detect a dirty play since you do have Bowen and Manu on your team. :)
And yes, Amare is immensely talented just not in the defensive area.

ehz33satx
08-18-2007, 02:05 PM

Sound advice coming from someone who seems like he barely passed 4th grade.

lefty
08-18-2007, 02:20 PM

The guy looks like an ass

lefty
08-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Stoudemire must be tired of losing to the Spurs.

He's lost to them in 2003, 2005, and 2007. The funny thing is, the Suns team in 2003 before they had Nash got the closest.

Damn, it's true

Obstructed_View
08-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't think you really can say much about Amare's physical play when the Spurs play that way themselves. Though I guess you might be able to detect a dirty play since you do have Bowen and Manu on your team. :)
And yes, Amare is immensely talented just not in the defensive area.
It had nothing to do with physical play, it's more that he's a pussy. He cried because Manu kicked him, but the kick was due to Amare putting a hard foul into Manu's throat. Rather than just figure he gave as good as he got and proceed with the game, Amare threw a hissy fit. Notice that while this was happening Manu just went to the line and took his free throws. That's the difference between a winner (Manu) and a loser (Amare).

Amare's only talented in the defensive area when he's defending his shriveled little testacles.

itzsoweezee
08-18-2007, 04:23 PM
maybe he should put in a little less time on the offensive moves and more on defense. that way maybe he'll actually be on the court when his team needs him.

Hemotivo
08-18-2007, 06:29 PM
maybe he should put in a little less time on the offensive moves and more on defense. that way maybe he'll actually be on the court when his team needs him.
Amare!!
http://www.wiiplayable.com/playgame.php?gameid=220
:p:

SpursDynasty
08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Amare is doing what HS players do.

Dunk on shorter players and then get all pumped up about it.

Anyone in the NBA can do that.

It's all about defense. I don't care if you're motivated and you think you deserve the championship, no one is entitled to it. You have to go out and play for it. And yes Amare, to have a gold medal and a world championship by 25 would be good, but don't think just because you say that, that you'll win the championship.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2007, 05:23 PM
What's with the Travis Bickle look for Amare? :lmao

OldDirtMcGirt
08-20-2007, 01:54 AM
It had nothing to do with physical play, it's more that he's a pussy. He cried because Manu kicked him, but the kick was due to Amare putting a hard foul into Manu's throat. Rather than just figure he gave as good as he got and proceed with the game, Amare threw a hissy fit. Notice that while this was happening Manu just went to the line and took his free throws. That's the difference between a winner (Manu) and a loser (Amare).

Amare's only talented in the defensive area when he's defending his shriveled little testacles.

Typically the winners and whiners are the same when it comes to the NBA. Just because guys complain doesn't mean that they have something wrong with their mentality. I could give less than two shits about his attitude. If he wants to bitch and moan about getting kicked in the dick (which you have every right to do), I won't complain. He just needs to learn that he can't block every shot and he's more useful to the team when he's on the floor then sitting out with four fouls.

atxrocker
08-20-2007, 02:00 AM

agreed

Brutalis
08-20-2007, 02:31 AM
How do you know he hasn't reached it? :rolleyes