PDA

View Full Version : gay marriage and the environment

inconvertible
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
if everyone was gay, the human race would die......irreguardless of global warming. :toast

FromWayDowntown
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Aside from the fact that your statement is factually incorrect, I think we can all rest easy that it certainly appears that we're some distance from a homogeneously homosexual society.

Mister Sinister
08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Gay marriage didn't cause global warming. It just killed the dinosaurs.

DarkReign
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Big Bang Theory Forum

Jelly
08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
if everyone was gay, the human race would die......irreguardless of global warming. :toast

better to hear it from a stranger on the internet than someone you know. There is no such word as "irregardless". Leave the "ir" off the word. Not trying to pick on you, but some people will jump all over you for that.

Mister Sinister
08-16-2007, 08:46 AM
better to hear it from a stranger on the internet than someone you know. There is no such word as "irregardless". Leave the "ir" off the word. Not trying to pick on you, but some people will jump all over you for that.
I do it if people actually say it. I'm less of a grammar Nazi on the internet, though.

DarkReign
08-16-2007, 09:20 AM

I was proven quite wrong on this exact point.

Unfortunately, "irregardless" is in fact, a word.

irregardless
One entry found for irregardless.

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Spurminator
08-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah I got caught on that one too...

Oh, Gee!!
08-16-2007, 09:43 AM

non sequitur

Jelly
08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
I was proven quite wrong on this exact point.

Unfortunately, "irregardless" is in fact, a word.

http://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/irregardless

irregardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. [translation: uneducated hicks used it]
Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Sorry. I'm in the "not a word" camp. Some dictionaries will incorporate "mutha" for "mother" just to be PC and make less literate people feel better. Most people will mock this guy if he uses it in public. I'm just trying to help him.

Oh, Gee!!
08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Send my irregards to Broadway

DarkReign
08-16-2007, 10:14 AM
irregardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. [translation: uneducated hicks used it]
Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Sorry. I'm in the "not a word" camp. Some dictionaries will incorporate "mutha" for "mother" just to be PC and make less literate people feel better. Most people will mock this guy if he uses it in public. I'm just trying to help him.

As am I, but looking up "mother" on Merriam Webster (LINK (http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mother)), I see no mention of "mutha".

Yet, irregardless is mentioned as a word, in fact. Pointed by the very comment made in its definition.

Jelly
08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
from Oxford American Dictionary:

mutha |?m?ð?| noun- variant spelling of mother (esp. sense 2 ).

DarkReign
08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
from Oxford American Dictionary:

mutha |?m?ð?| noun- variant spelling of mother (esp. sense 2 ).

LOL

<--- ownd

:bow

EDITED: wait, why cant you link that? Howd you get that without subscribing?

Oh, Gee!!
08-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Irregardless of the fact that this thread has spawned a lively debate about the suitability of an adverb the original point of this thread still sucks.

Jelly
08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
LOL

<--- ownd

:bow

EDITED: wait, why cant you link that? Howd you get that without subscribing?

I didn't get that off the internet. It is part of a software program on my computer.

Jelly
08-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Irregardless of the fact that this thread has spawned a lively debate about the suitability of an adverb the original point of this thread still sucks.
:lol

inconvertible
08-19-2007, 01:23 AM
if everyone was gay, the human race would die......regardless of global warming. :toast

Mister Sinister
08-19-2007, 01:24 AM
But not everyone's gay, so it doesn't matter. This thread fails.

sabar
08-19-2007, 04:32 AM
if everyone was gay, the human race would die......regardless of global warming. :toastWrong.

About irregardless, I have never seen anyone called out about its usage, on the internet or the real world. Of course it's a word, it's just not standardized... yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless