08-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Sad.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12827796

Nbadan
08-15-2007, 08:02 PM
So is divorce......really sad.......

Wild Cobra
08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Here we go again. Great job NPR/API. Any new news? This appears to be a redressed December 2006 story by USA Today:

Suicide rate spikes among troops sent to Iraq war (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-12-19-soldier-suicides_x.htm)

Now in the USA Today story lists the national figures of 10.4/100,000 for 1993. Not a fair comparison with the military since women are not enrolled at the same percentage as men.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate) has the 2002 figures as 11.0, but this is with a 50/50 male female average. The 2002 wiki numbers include 17.6 male and 4.1 female. If I assume a 90% male 10% female mix, that brings the equivalent US numbers to 16.25 rather than the 11.0. Not far from the military statistics for 2006 of 17.3.

Considering the added stress of war, I wouldn't call these stories news worthy! Notice how the male/female balance is ignored in the stories to sex them up a bit.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 12:04 AM
There is a much more obvious math problem;

Army suicides at highest level in 26 years

WASHINGTON (AP) — Army soldiers committed suicide last year at the highest rate in 26 years, and more than a quarter did so while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a new military report.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press ahead of its scheduled release Thursday, found there were 99 confirmed suicides among active duty soldiers during 2006, up from 88 the previous year and the highest since the 102 suicides in 1991 at the time of the Persian Gulf War.

The suicide rate for the Army has fluctuated over the past 26 years, from last year's high of 17.3 per 100,000 to a low of 9.1 per 100,000 in 2001.

Washington POST (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-08-15-army-suicides_N.htm)

1991 - 2007 = 16 YEARS, not 26! DOH!

Phil Hellmuth
08-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Here we go again. Great job NPR/API. Any new news? This appears to be a redressed December 2006 story by USA Today:

Suicide rate spikes among troops sent to Iraq war (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-12-19-soldier-suicides_x.htm)

Now in the USA Today story lists the national figures of 10.4/100,000 for 1993. Not a fair comparison with the military since women are not enrolled at the same percentage as men.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate) has the 2002 figures as 11.0, but this is with a 50/50 male female average. The 2002 wiki numbers include 17.6 male and 4.1 female. If I assume a 90% male 10% female mix, that brings the equivalent US numbers to 16.25 rather than the 11.0. Not far from the military statistics for 2006 of 17.3.

Considering the added stress of war, I wouldn't call these stories news worthy! Notice how the male/female balance is ignored in the stories to sex them up a bit.

professional nitpicker ^

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 12:57 AM
A. So what you're saying, WC, is that there aren't two separate studies being released (the one in 2006 which you link to and the one being released today in Dan's link)?

B. Dan, in the lede of that article in which you quoted a snippet, what are those two letters following the dateline of Washington? It says "AP" as in The Associated Press. The AP is responsible for that story and you don't even link to the Washington Post, you linked it to USA Today. I can't see how anybody can have any sort of conversation with you when you can't even master basic facts such as those.

C. By starting a new graf and having the one with the 1991 and 2007 numbers in a separate graf, the story is saying that 1) these are the specific numbers, 2) the three different grafs reference hard numbers in the 1991 and 2006 listing and the overall ratio over the past 26 years. Just because the highest numbers were in 1991 does not necessarily make that the highest ratio. The grafs are referencing two different time frames.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:00 AM
But just so you feel better about it, Dan, since I know you have so much concern for the media, they've made it a little cleaner for you.

Date: 08/15/2007 09:34 PM

BC-Army Suicides,3rd Ld-Writethru/615
Eds: SUBS 2nd graf to SPECIFY it was highest number since 1991, adding word 'number'.
Army suicides at highest rate in 26 years, more than a quarter in Iraq and Afghanistan
By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Army soldiers committed suicide last year at the highest rate in 26 years, and more than a quarter did so while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a new military report.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press ahead of its scheduled release Thursday, found there were 99 confirmed suicides among active duty soldiers during 2006, up from 88 the previous year and the highest number since the 102 suicides in 1991 at the time of the Persian Gulf War.

The suicide rate for the Army has fluctuated over the past 26 years, from last year's high of 17.3 per 100,000 to a low of 9.1 per 100,000 in 2001.

Last year, "Iraq was the most common deployment location for both (suicides) and attempts," the report said.

The 99 suicides included 28 soldiers deployed to the two wars and 71 who weren't. About twice as many women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan committed suicide as did women not sent to war, the report said.

Preliminary numbers for the first half of this year indicate the number of suicides could decline across the service in 2007 but increase among troops serving in the wars, officials said.

The increases for 2006 came as Army officials worked to set up a number of new and stronger programs for providing mental health care to a force strained by the longer-than-expected war in Iraq and the global counterterrorism war entering its sixth year.

Failed personal relationships, legal and financial problems and the stress of their jobs were factors motivating the soldiers to commit suicide, according to the report.

"In addition, there was a significant relationship between suicide attempts and number of days deployed" in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops are participating in the war effort, it said. The same pattern seemed to hold true for those who not only attempted, but succeeded in killing themselves.

There also "was limited evidence to support the view that multiple ... deployments are a risk factor for suicide behaviors," it said.

About a quarter of those who killed themselves had a history of at least one psychiatric disorder. Of those, about 20 percent had been diagnosed with a mood disorder such as bipolar disorder and/or depression; and 8 percent had been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, including post traumatic stress disorder _ one of the signature injuries of the conflict in Iraq.

Firearms were the most common method of suicide. Those who attempted suicide but didn't succeed tended more often to take overdoses and cut themselves.

In a service of more than a half million troop, the 99 suicides amounted to a rate of 17.3 per 100,000 _ the highest in the past 26 years, the report said. The average rate over those years has been 12.3 per 100,000.

The rate for those serving in the wars stayed about the same, 19.4 per 100,000 in 2006, compared with 19.9 in 2005.

The Army said the information was compiled from reports collected as part of its suicide prevention program _ reports required for all "suicide-related behaviors that result in death, hospitalization or evacuation" of the soldier. It can take considerable time to investigate a suicide and, in fact, the Army said that in addition to the 99 confirmed suicides last year, there are two other deaths suspected as suicides in which investigations were pending.

___

Associated Press reporter Lolita C. Baldor contributed to this report from Washington.

___

On the Net:

Defense Department: www.defenselink.mil

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Dan, in the lede of that article in which you quoted a snippet, what are those two letters following the dateline of Washington? It says "AP" as in The Associated Press. The AP is responsible for that story and you don't even link to the Washington Post, you linked it to USA Today. I can't see how anybody can have any sort of conversation with you when you can't even master basic facts such as those.

Talk about nit-picking....

:rolleyes

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Talk about nit-picking....

:rolleyes

I'm not the one calling you a nitpicker. I'm the one calling you an idiot that for some reason, can't get his own biased eyes to scan a news story long enough to see who actually wrote it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Oh, and I fail to see where you said I was wrong.

You call somebody out for math they didn't attempt to make, but you roll your eyes when you're called out because you see the dateline of Washington and immediately associate it with the Washington Post.

Journalism lesson: The dateline is not the media outlet which wrote the story. The dateline references where the story took place and where the reporter did the legwork.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:14 AM
The link you tried to establish but massively failed at.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/15/AR2007081502027.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

Army Suicides Highest in 26 Years

By PAULINE JELINEK
The Associated Press
Wednesday, August 15, 2007; 11:44 PM

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Just because the highest numbers were in 1991 does not necessarily make that the highest ratio. The grafs are referencing two different time frames.

From the article...

So he is obviously not referencing the rate, but the raw numbers...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:18 AM
From the article...

So he is obviously not referencing the rate, but the raw numbers...

The report, obtained by The Associated Press ahead of its scheduled release Thursday, found there were 99 confirmed suicides among active duty soldiers during 2006, up from 88 the previous year and the highest number since the 102 suicides in 1991 at the time of the Persian Gulf War.

No ratio.

Ratio.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:19 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ratio

ra·tio /ˈreɪʃoʊ, -ʃiˌoʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-shoh, -shee-oh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -tios.
1. the relation between two similar magnitudes with respect to the number of times the first contains the second: the ratio of 5 to 2, written 5:2 or 5/2.

------

Graf one: No ratio.
Graf two: Ratio.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Oh, and I fail to see where you said I was wrong.

You call somebody out for math they didn't attempt to make, but you roll your eyes when you're called out because you see the dateline of Washington and immediately associate it with the Washington Post.

Journalism lesson: The dateline is not the media outlet which wrote the story. The dateline references where the story took place and where the reporter did the legwork.

I'm not saying our wrong, I'm just pointing out that it's nit-picking a story that you obviously can't logically disagree with other-wise....

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Graf one: "The report, obtained by The Associated Press ahead of its scheduled release Thursday, found there were 99 confirmed suicides among active duty soldiers during 2006, up from 88 the previous year and the highest number since the 102 suicides in 1991 at the time of the Persian Gulf War."

Where's the ratio?

Graf two: "The suicide rate for the Army has fluctuated over the past 26 years, from last year's high of 17.3 per 100,000 to a low of 9.1 per 100,000 in 2001."

There's the ratio.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm not saying our wrong, I'm just pointing out that it's nit-picking a story that you obviously can't logically disagree with other-wise....

I can't argue logic with someone that can't even set up their argument correctly to begin with.

And where's your argument? Divorce is sad, too?

Oh, that's right, your argument must have been the math, which I have since logically disproved via the start of a new graf.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:22 AM
What's the title of this thread again? Army suicides highest ratio in....? nope....

Wild Cobra
08-16-2007, 01:24 AM
A. So what you're saying, WC, is that there aren't two separate studies being released (the one in 2006 which you link to and the one being released today in Dan's link)?

It appears to me that the USA Today story I linked was the original storyline for the data, but before the figures were official.

My key point is that the numbers are not excessive however. They are not statistically different than the nationwide suicide rates as a whole. What the storyline should be is something to the effect:

"Military suicide rates in line with national suicide rates during wartime"

I say that because the peacetime suicide rates in the military are about half that of the national rates. For this story to maintain credibility, it should be more honest.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:25 AM
What's the title of this thread again? Army suicides highest ratio in....? nope....

What's the lede say?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:28 AM
It appears to me that the USA Today story I linked was the original storyline for the data, but before the figures were official.

My key point is that the numbers are not excessive however. They are not statistically different than the nationwide suicide rates as a whole. What the storyline should be is something to the effect:

"Military suicide rates in line with national suicide rates during wartime"

I say that because the peacetime suicide rates in the military are about half that of the national rates. For this story to maintain credibility, it should be more honest.

I would argue that no matter the numbers, the release of an official report on military suicides (or the acquiring of the report prior to its release) is news, whether it be low or high or in the middle.

The story draws its conclusions from the information in the report, it's the reader's job to take that information and reach their conclusions. If the report is saying it's the highest rate, that's on the report, not the reporter.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:29 AM

Date: 08/15/2007 09:34 PM

BC-Army Suicides,3rd Ld-Writethru/615
Eds: SUBS 2nd graf to SPECIFY it was highest number since 1991, adding word 'number'.
Army suicides at highest rate in 26 years, more than a quarter in Iraq and Afghanistan
By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Army soldiers committed suicide last year at the highest rate in 26 years, and more than a quarter did so while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a new military report.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:30 AM
Tell ya what, Danny Boy...let's let the report come out later today and let's just see how many years they have data for.

My money's on 26, yours is on 16.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:31 AM
My key point is that the numbers are not excessive however. They are not statistically different than the nationwide suicide rates as a whole. What the storyline should be is something to the effect

The average suicide rate in the U.S. is about 12 per 100,000, but that includes Americans over 85 who account for 65/1000 U.S. SUICIDES

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Tell ya what, Danny Boy...let's let the report come out later today and let's just see how many years they have data for.

My money's on 26, yours is on 16.

If your argument is that U.S. TROOPS were killing themselves at a larger ratio in 1981, with no war going on, than in 1991, during GW1, yeah, I'll take your money and what's left of your online dignity...

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:42 AM
If your argument is that U.S. TROOPS were killing themselves at a larger ratio in 1981, with no war going on, than in 1991, during GW1, yeah, I'll take your money and what's left of your online dignity...

No, you godforsaken idiot, that isn't my argument.

Can you quote me where I said the highest rate was in 1981? No, you can't because I didn't say that.

See what you quoted... I said "how many years of data do they have..."

I say 26 years, you say 16.

I'd make a smart-ass quip about taking your "online dignity," but that has been gone for longer than I can remember.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:43 AM
How many years of data will the report reference?

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:43 AM
That's my thought on what we will find out when the report is released.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 01:47 AM
No, you godforsaken idiot, that isn't my argument.

Can you quote me where I said the highest rate was in 1981? No, you can't because I didn't say that.

See what you quoted... I said "how many years of data do they have..."

I say 26 years, you say 16.

I'd make a smart-ass quip about taking your "online dignity," but that has been gone for longer than I can remember.

Who cares about how many years of data they have? My point is that the rate was higher in 06 and the total number was higher in 91....

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Who cares about how many years of data they have?

There is a much more obvious math problem;

[B]Army suicides at highest level in 26 years

Washington POST (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-08-15-army-suicides_N.htm)

1991 - 2007 = 16 YEARS, not 26! DOH!

You did.

And no shit the number of 102 was highest in 1991 - it says that in the article.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 02:02 AM
You did.

And no shit the number of 102 was highest in 1991 - it says that in the article.

..however you misunderstood my post, the point still stands....

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 02:07 AM
..however you misunderstood my post, the point still stands....

Yes. You can't distinguish two separate grafs and the information in between.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 02:17 AM
The problem you're having, Dan, is that you seem to believe I'm saying the information presented (which is the information you're presenting) is somehow wrong.

For the sake of this argument alone, I don't give a fuck about that information.

My problem is that you continually take the media to task for problems that are simply in your own mind.

The rates are different because there were different amount of active duty Army personnel. (426K in 2006, 472K in 1991). Quite simply, 102 deaths into 472,000 is a lower ratio than 99 deaths into 426,000.

http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/MILITARY/Miltop.htm

But again, you're second post in this thread was a slam against (the incorrect outlet, BTW) the math skills of an AP reporter. You said "D'oh...1991-2006=16, not 26." I tried to show you where the start of a new graf references different information being presented. It's outlined in the graf by talking about a simple number versus a ratio.

So, yes, when you continually saddle mistakes against the media which aren't their mistakes to begin with, I will continually take your brittle mind apart and attempt to squash your own biases towards a media which is not responsible for every single fallacy you think they make.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Never in my life have I wanted the left and right wings of SpursTalk to come together moreso than right now in a united effort to put Dan in his place.

Nbadan
08-16-2007, 02:44 AM
Yeah, people are gonna 'rise up' at 2:40 a.m. to defend such a silly point...the title of the article should read'...highest number since 1991'. Who really cares if they've only been collecting the data for 26 years...

...when the title of a article reads, worst hurricane in 26 years, you'd expect for the comparison point to be the last worst hurricane, not since record-keeping began....but keep defending the writers poor choice of reference point....

Jelly
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Yeah, people are gonna 'rise up' at 2:40 a.m. to defend such a silly point...the title of the article should read'...highest number since 1991'. Who really cares if they've only been collecting the data for 26 years...

...when the title of a article reads, worst hurricane in 26 years, you'd expect for the comparison point to be the last worst hurricane, not since record-keeping began....but keep defending the writers poor choice of reference point....

you guys are COMPLETELY missing the point by focusing on the wording of a headline. The point is that troop morale is at an all time low and troops are KILLING themselves. It is true we have significantly reduced the NUMBER of troops in our forces, so you can't compare total numbers of suicides, just the RATE. You're arguing about something so stupid and insignificant and ignoring the true tragedy of the article.

Wild Cobra
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
The story draws its conclusions from the information in the report, it's the reader's job to take that information and reach their conclusions. If the report is saying it's the highest rate, that's on the report, not the reporter.
I would agree if they cited the whole report. Cherry picking information to share gives the reader a biased view, unless they are like me. Willing to fact check.

Wild Cobra
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
You did.

the number 102 was likely a lower rate when looking at suicides per 100,000. 1991 was the beginning of the drawdown of the military forces. Getting pink slips for those who only knew military life could have been a factor too!

Wild Cobra
08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
But again, you're second post in this thread was a slam against (the incorrect outlet, BTW) the math skills of an AP reporter. You said "D'oh...1991-2006=16, not 26."
And reporters make mistakes all the time. Have to verify stories and not blindly believe them like a lemming.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
And reporters make mistakes all the time. Have to verify stories and not blindly believe them like a lemming.

I'm not saying believe every single word they say (and I'm a reporter). But when the explanation to Dan's misconception is so blatantly obvious, it's frustrating to continue a conversation with him.

Date: 08/16/2007 04:19 PM

BC-Army Suicides-Summary Box/78
Summary Box: Suicide rate in Army rising
By The Associated Press

THE NUMBERS: Ninety-nine U.S. soldiers killed themselves last year, the highest rate of suicide in the Army in 26 years of record-keeping. There were 948 attempted suicides.

ON DUTY: Nearly a third of the soldiers who committed suicide did so while serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.

THE MOTIVATION: Failed personal relationships, legal and financial problems and job stress were factors.

I'm trying to find the report myself.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
And here's the updated story:

Date: 08/16/2007 03:37 PM

BC-Army Suicides,4th Ld-Writethru/725
Eds: UPDATES in 3rd graf that Army now says toll was 87 sted 88 in 2005.
With 99 suicides by soldiers in 2006, Army rate hits 26-year high
By PAULINE JELINEK
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Ninety-nine U.S. soldiers killed themselves last year, the highest rate of suicide in the Army in 26 years of record-keeping.

Nearly a third of the soldiers who committed suicide did so while serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to a report released Thursday. Iraq accounted for most of those _ with 27 of the suicides coming from that conflict and three from Afghanistan. Also, there were 948 attempted suicides, officials said, adding that they didn't have a comparison for previous years.

The report said the 99 confirmed suicides among active duty soldiers compares with 87 in 2005 and is the highest number since 102 were reported in 1991, the year of the Persian Gulf War, when there were more soldiers on active duty.

Investigations are still pending on two other deaths.

In a half million-person Army, last year's suicide toll translates to a rate of 17.3 per 100,000, the highest since the Army started counting in 1980, officials said. The rate has fluctuated over those years, with the low being 9.1 per 100,000 in 2001.

Failed personal relationships, legal and financial problems and the stress of their jobs were factors motivating the soldiers to commit suicide, according to the report. It also found a significant relationship between suicide attempts and the number of days deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan or nearby countries where troops were participating in the war effort.

There was "limited evidence" to back the suspicion that repeated deployments are putting more people at risk for suicide, the report said. With the Army stretched thin by years of fighting the two wars, the Pentagon has had to extend normal tours of duty this year to 15 months from 12 and has sent some troops back to the wars several times.

Officials found no direct link between suicide and deployments or exposure to combat except in how they affect a soldier's marriage or other close relationships, Col. Elspeth Ritchie, psychiatry consultant to the Army surgeon general, said in a Pentagon press conference.

"Unfortunately, suicide is very often a compulsive act," she said, and the fact that soldiers are armed can make it harder to prevent.

"Very often a young soldier gets a 'Dear John' or 'Dear Jane' e-mail and then takes his weapon and shoots himself," she said.

Preliminary numbers for the first half of 2007 indicate the number of suicides could decline across the service but increase among troops serving in the wars, officials said.

The increases for 2006 came as Army officials worked to set up a number of new programs and strengthen old ones for providing mental health care to a force strained by the longer-than-expected conflict in Iraq and the global counterterrorism war entering its sixth year.

In a flurry of studies in recent months, officials found a system that might have been adequate for a peacetime military has been overwhelmed by troops coming home from war.

Some troop surveys in Iraq have shown that 20 percent of Army soldiers have signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress, which can cause flashbacks of traumatic combat experiences and other severe reactions. About 35 percent of soldiers are seeking some kind of mental health treatment a year after returning home under a program that screens returning troops for physical and mental health problems, officials have said.

The Army has sent medical teams annually to the battlefront in Iraq to survey troops, health care providers and chaplains about health, morale and other issues. It has revised training programs, bolstered suicide prevention, is adding some 25 percent more psychiatrists and other mental health professionals to its staff, and is in the midst of an extensive program to teach all soldiers how to recognize mental health problems in themselves and their comrades.

The Army also has been working to stem the stigma associated with getting therapy for mental problems, after officials found that troops are avoiding counseling out of fear it could harm their careers.

smeagol
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Dan is owned once again.

Just like with that stupid post about the Virginia Tech shooting.

Oh well . . .

Wild Cobra
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
And here's the updated story:
I see part of the confusion. 26 years of RECORD KEEPING!

Curious... Have you seen the Movie about Murrow? "Good Night, and Good Luck?" I bought the DVD and it is a very good movie. I assume you know that Murrow had a close friend who commited suicide.

IMDB link Good Night, and Good Luck (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433383/)

wiki link Good Night, and Good luck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_night%2C_and_good_luck)

DarkReign
08-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Jesus Christ, 2 pages on details?! Who gives a shit!

Is the military suicide rate its highest in 26 years?

Is that any fucking surprise seeing as the military is currently in a war? (of sorts...Mission Accomplished....o, wait). No.

The story is then.....a rise in military suicide most likely due to the action seen in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You know, based on all this valuable info, I'm willing to bet suicide rates go way up when someone files for bankruptcy. We should totally commission a reporter to tell us that. Yeah.

Wild Cobra
08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Jesus Christ, 2 pages on details?! Who gives a shit!
Those of us who care about the truth do.

Is the military suicide rate its highest in 26 years?
Looks that way.

Is that any fucking surprise seeing as the military is currently in a war? (of sorts...Mission Accomplished....o, wait). No.
Agreed. The article is unimportant to begin with.

The story is then.....a rise in military suicide most likely due to the action seen in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You know, based on all this valuable info, I'm willing to bet suicide rates go way up when someone files for bankruptcy. We should totally commission a reporter to tell us that. Yeah.
What is discuraging to me is the 2006 rates are similar to the national average with the normal rates being much lower, yet that fact is ignored. It was brought up that older people have a much higher rate, but there are less 80+ people than children who do not commit suicide! I'd bet age by age, the nominal military suicide rate is far lower than the US population.

Yes, the stress of deployment is the key factor of the increased rates. Away from family, financial changes, Dear John letters, etc. Note the horrors of war were dismissed over these other factors. Long term deployment is the root problem.

smeagol
08-17-2007, 08:05 AM
The point is Dan uses misleading tactics when starting some of his threads.

By the way, the press uses them all the time (misleading tactics to sell their papers/magazines/hits on the net).

There was hardly a time when a story with which I was fully acquianted, was correctly represnted in the press.

xrayzebra
08-17-2007, 09:31 AM

By the way, the press uses them all the time (misleading tactics to sell their papers/magazines/hits on the net).

There was hardly a time when a story with which I was fully acquianted, was correctly represnted in the press.

Much like the English tabloids. Headline six inchs high
and a small paragraph of story.

smeagol
08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Much like the English tabloids. Headline six inchs high
and a small paragraph of story.
In Argentina you can't even trust the so-called respectable newpapers. Half of what they print in partially true and misleading, or not true at all.

Nbadan
08-17-2007, 11:32 PM

....and there was a time when most political readers couldn't tell the difference...nor could they tell when wing-nut radio used identicle tactics...and people said forum's like these were useless...

Nbadan
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Or more accurately, is a rise in military suicides most likely due to repeated action in Iraq and afghanistan....

Suicides in Iraq; It's Worse Than You Thought
By Gary Ater
The American Chronicle
Sunday 19 August 2007

Many of you have seen the headlines regarding the military suicides that have reached the highest level in 26 years. There were 99 confirmed Army suicides in 2006 (2 additional deaths are pending investigations), up from 88 in 2005 and the highest since 1991 during the Persian Gulf War. The rate of suicides grew in 5 years from a low of 9.1 per 100,000 soldiers in 2001 to the 2006 rate of 19.4 per 100,000. (The suicide rate for the general population is 11 per 100,000.) Preliminary figures indicate that the number of suicides for troops that have served in either Afghanistan or Iraq will also increase for 2007.

What you did not read in the headlines is the explanation for the major increases nor the numbers of those that attempted suicide but were somehow saved at the last moment. The other items that were left out of the articles from the Pentagon were how many suicides were committed after the soldiers were back from active duty in the Middle East and how many women serving in Iraq or Afghanistan committed suicide.

For the last item, the Pentagon did not give a number for the women serving in the war zones, but they did admit that twice as many women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan committed suicide as did women in the service not sent to war. As to where were the male suicides committed? Per the Pentagon report: "Iraq was the most common deployment location for both suicides and attempted suicides." Twenty eight (28) of the suicides occurred to soldiers deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, the remainder were committed after returning or stationed back in the US. The sad circumstance that has gotten very little notice is that the 99 confirmed suicides are a small number of the 900+ confirmed suicide attempts. This is an increase of 42% over the attempted suicides for military personnel in 2005.

Finally, just what are the explanations for these suicides and the subsequent increases?

Needless to say, the stress on anyone that is being shot at or expecting a road-side bomb to explode at any turn has to be a tough situation to deal with on a day-to-day basis. In addition, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other psychiatric disorders are very difficult to diagnose and are conditions that most soldiers won't admit to as they are not "real, physical war wounds" that you can see.

Let's look at some of the issues that have driven these soldiers to the ultimate action of taking their own lives while serving in the military:

* In past wars, the normal tour for being in a war zone was 6 months and then a month off before moving on to another assignment. In Iraq and Afghanistan, that was first increased to 12 months and is now at 15 months. Even when these tours are over, they can be sent back again and again. Some soldiers today are on their 4th tour of duty in the Middle East.

Truthout (http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/082007D.shtml)