PDA

View Full Version : NBA's New Slogan: "Where Amazing Happens"

duncan228
08-15-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47607/20070814/nbas_new_slogan_where_amazing_happens/

NBA's New Slogan: "Where Amazing Happens"

NBA readies ‘amazing’ new ad campaign
By JOHN LOMBARDO

The NBA is putting the finishing touches on a new advertising campaign for the coming season with the theme “Where Amazing Happens,” marking a completely overhauled branding effort that will take on significant importance given the fallout from the recent referee gambling scandal that has jolted the league.

San Francisco-based Goodby, Silverstein & Partners is the NBA’s agency of record and is completing creative on the new effort, though concepts of the campaign were presented to team presidents during their meetings July 26-27 in New York.

The campaign’s theme has drawn praise from a number of executives who heard about it during the meeting, but the NBA is keeping details of the campaign under wraps until the season draws closer.

It is the second NBA campaign this year for Goodby, Silverstein & Partners. The shop did the “Unbelievable” playoff and Finals campaign featuring illusionist David Blaine during the 2006-07 postseason.

Though the creation of the campaign is an independent effort unrelated to the NBA’s referee gambling scandal, it likely will play a critical role in the league’s effort to distance itself from the scandal and drive fan interest beginning next season.

“We had a presentation of the preliminary concepts for the campaign and it is very clever and creative,” said Bernie Mullin, CEO of Atlanta Spirit, which owns the Atlanta Hawks. “It speaks to the passion of the game and it resonated among team personnel who saw it.”

According to one executive familiar with the theme, the conceptual presentation included a series of slides, one featuring Kobe Bryant and LeBron James dunking with the tag line “Where space walking happens.” Another slide depicted the dramatic photo of Michael Jordan sobbing as he holds the NBA championship trophy with the tag line “Where grown men crying happens.”

Eventually, the slides concluded with the tag line “Where Amazing Happens.”

“You’ve got to tell your story and what you stand for, and this is a campaign we don’t come up with every year,” said one team executive. “We have to tell people what we are about.”

“Where Amazing Happens” comes after the NBA reprised in 2003 the “I Love This Game” campaign, which ran 1992-99. That complemented the “Love It Live” theme used in 2000-03 during the playoffs.

“I Love This Game” was created by the agency then known as Goodby, Berlin & Silverstein, which later became Goodby, Silverstein & Partners agency.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Pretty cheesy.

duncan228
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Pretty cheesy.

Yeah...It doesn't sound so great.

Maybe it will be better when we see it?

SpursDynasty
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
The NBA does not have enough top-quality NBA teams to call themselves "amazing". Much of the NBA is the one marketable but talentless guy (McGrady, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, LeBron James) with a mediocre team. Outside of the Spurs, the NBA has declined.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
And it's pretty ironic that they announce this slogan during the Donaghy case.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
NBA: We Shave Closer Than A Quattro

Rip-Hamilton32
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
The NBA does not have enough top-quality NBA teams to call themselves "amazing". Much of the NBA is the one marketable but talentless guy (McGrady, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, LeBron James) with a mediocre team. Outside of the Spurs, the NBA has declined.

lol james and kidd talentless?

Findog
08-15-2007, 08:58 PM
lol james and kidd talentless?

Matt Bonner and Francisco Elson are the future of the NBA.

Rip-Hamilton32
08-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Matt Bonner and Francisco Elson are the future of the NBA.

no question there :elephant

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
The NBA: The Spurs Can't Win All of These, Right?

monosylab1k
08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
The NBA - Sure We Fix Games, But We're Steroid & Dogfighting Free!

duncan228
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
I liked the "I love this game" campaign.

Last year ESPN ran "Will you be watching when", that didn't seem to catch on.

TNT has used "We know drama" and when the Playoffs start they use "40 games in 40 nights" which always makes my husband groan the first time he hears it because he knows that means the post season is on and he'll be watching a lot of basketball!

CubanMustGo
08-15-2007, 11:15 PM
O yeah the same agency that brought the David Lame, I mean Blaine crap during the playoffs. I can hardly wait.

How about "The NBA: sucks that we have BSPN televising our games but we got a shitload of money out of them" ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I liked the David Blaine commercials.

yourcheatinheart
08-16-2007, 12:35 AM
the nba, "where shit happens."

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-16-2007, 12:37 AM
:lol

Dex
08-16-2007, 01:13 AM
It's just amazing that there is a team of spin-doctors creative enough to sell such a crappy slogan. And 8-year-old could've come up with the same idea, but he couldn't have sold it to a conference room full of suits.

Then again, somebody made their living off of coming up with the Go Spurs Go slogan too, so I guess these days its not what you're sellin, but how ya sell it.

Reggie Miller
08-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Based on my experiences living in my mother’s basement, I would have to say that “Amazing” happens just above “Spider-Man” on the cover.

Vinnie_Johnson
08-16-2007, 02:52 PM

I like that one :lol

Flo-Rida
08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Thats Wack

~~Ice Man 2000~~
08-16-2007, 05:54 PM
:clap

duncan228
10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Bump.

Starting to see the commercials tonight on TNT.
They're not as bad as I thought they could be.

Anyone caught one yet?

phyzik
10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
my favorite part of the new commercial is the part....

Wherehttp://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Video/070507/a_brown_nash_070507.300w.jpg Happens

And if you havnt seen the commercial, I am not kidding... its in it.... just like that.

yourcheatinheart
10-19-2007, 01:08 AM
my favorite part of the new commercial is the part....

Wherehttp://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Video/070507/a_brown_nash_070507.300w.jpg Happens

And if you havnt seen the commercial, I am not kidding... its in it.... just like that.
it better be your favorite part. nashie was on a fucking vendetta against the spurs and was single handedly leading the suns to a monumental comeback before that bullshit happened. nash is a fucking soldier!

spursfan09
10-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Man Tony Parker has a hard head.

phyzik
10-19-2007, 09:16 AM
it better be your favorite part. nashie was on a fucking vendetta against the spurs and was single handedly leading the suns to a monumental comeback before that bullshit happened. nash is a fucking soldier!

I think you misunderstand me... its not my favorite part because Nash got hurt.... Its my favorite part because its promoting shit like that as if it happens alot.

ElNono
10-19-2007, 10:43 AM
If you ever went to an arena, and had to pay 15 bucks for a light beer, you can totally see where the 'amazing happens' part comes from...

Reggie Miller
10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
nash is a fucking soldier!

You disgust me. Yeah, most soldiers get to protest the war and make several million a year in the process. I forgot that getting a cut on your nose while playing a game is the equivalent of getting your ass shot off in a foreign country...

Findog
10-19-2007, 01:08 PM
nash is a fucking soldier!

No, that would be Kellen Winslow Jr.