PDA

View Full Version : The TRUTH is coming out!!!!!!!!!!!

da_suns_fan__
08-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Attorney wants probe of referee in Suns games

Michael Kiefer
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 15, 2007 04:25 PM

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy, who pleaded guilty to gambling-related charges in federal court Wednesday, may also face charges in Maricopa County if investigations by the basketball league or the FBI reveal that he deliberately miscalled two Phoenix Suns playoff games earlier this year.

Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas on Wednesday sent letters to NBA Commissioner David Stern and to the head of the FBI in Washington, DC, asking that his office be given any and all information about Donaghy's handling of the two Suns games that he officiated. Thomas wants to know whether Donaghy gambled on the games, provided inside information to gamblers or helped determine the outcome by making bad officiating calls.

In federal court in New York, Donaghy pleaded guilty to felony counts of conspiracy to engage in wire fraud and transmitting wagering information through interstate commerce. He was released on $250,000 bond. He faces up to 25 years in prison.

In his letters, Thomas stated that Donaghy might have also broken Arizona state law.

"Specifically it has been reported that Mr. Donaghy refereed playoff series games between the Phoenix Suns and the Los Angeles Lakers on April 29, 2007, and the Phoenix Suns and San Antonio Spurs on May 12, 2007," Thomas wrote.

"If Mr. Donaghy purposely failed to officiate the games properly, and his conduct resulted in changing the outcome of games, such conduct might have violated various Arizona criminal statutes and could be the subject of criminal prosecution."

The Suns played both of the games on the road, including the match-up against San Antonio in Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals. The Spurs won, 108-101.

Thomas did not comment on the letters, but Special Assistant County Attorney Barnett Lotstein said that the state's "long arm statute" allows the county to prosecute in such cases.

"If any element of the crime happened in our county, we have jurisdiction," Lotstein said.

Those elements would include the planning of the crime, even if it took place elsewhere, he said.

Among the possible felony charges are fraudulent schemes and artifices, which carries a possible prison sentence of 3 to 10 years; and bribery of participants in professional or amateur games, which carries a possible prison sentence of 1 to 3 ¾ years.

The latter applies to players, coaches, trainers or referees who try to profit from deliberately influencing the outcome of any sporting event.

da_suns_fan__
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0815ref-letter0815-ON-CP.html

da_suns_fan__
08-15-2007, 11:17 PM
"Oh SHIT!"

- Every Spurs fan who reads this.

CubanMustGo
08-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Fuck off already.

--- Every Spurs Fan who reads this.

Findog
08-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Here's the challenge Spurs fans:

Can you starve the troll?

Mister Sinister
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM

If replying to this doesn't count as feeding said troll, then yes, I suppose I can. I read the "article" and just gave it an eyeroll. And a yawn. A nice, long, yawn.

td4mvp21
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
And if he bet on the Suns? Let me guess, you'll shut the fuck up and disappear faster than your father did after your mother got pregnant?

Leetonidas
08-15-2007, 11:21 PM
And if he bet on the Suns? Let me guess, you'll shut the fuck up and disappear faster than your father did after your mother got pregnant?
Hey-oh!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
:sleep
It just says that he reffed those games. It doesn't say he fixed those games.

da_suns_fan__
08-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Don't the good people of San Antonio want to know the truth?

kskonn
08-15-2007, 11:23 PM
doesn't really bother me, none of the spurs are going to jail. Also they have not even determined if he bet on that game or not. It has also been pointed out numerous times that he was the best ref in that game. He did not call any of the bogus calls on amare, or did he call any questionable calls. I would not be suprised that when the truth comes out it will end up being that he did not bet on this game, then the Suns will be back to bitching about Horry.

dougp
08-15-2007, 11:25 PM
The only truth is the one that you choose to believe. I choose to believe Kori should start banning you fucks for being a waste of bandwidth.

ehz33satx
08-15-2007, 11:31 PM
"Oh SHIT!"

Who gives a damn? We will STILL be the champs and you will STILL be the losers so give it up already. You forget that you did not win the other 4 games so what difference will it make? Maybe if Amare and Diaw had some more brains they would have stayed on the bench, or if Nash had not tried to act like he was mortally wounded you would have had a chance. Did you see how fast Nash jumped up when he realized his actions after the flop were detrimental to his team? Because of him all your team got all hissified and up in arms. Screw your little run and gun team. Learn how to play championship basketball instead of just trying to outscore everyone then you might have a chance to realize your dream of bringing home at least 1 championship to your state. Won't ever happen, but you can dream anyways. Ces la vie!

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Ginofan's gonna be heartbroken.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Cue Fast Dunk...

spurtime
08-15-2007, 11:33 PM

not so much...

dbreiden83080
08-15-2007, 11:34 PM
"Oh SHIT!"

Oh shit for what like if anything comes out the NBA is going to hand you the title. How do you know that he was not betting on you and you guys lost anyway you ever think of that genius.

Fast Dunk
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, the Suns were fucked, end of the story...

Suns fans need to man up...

Mister Sinister
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM

Who are you and what did you do with Fast Dunk?

mrsmaalox
08-15-2007, 11:41 PM
"Oh SHIT!"

"Oh SHIT for brains strikes again!"

-Every Spurs fan who reads this.

dbreiden83080
08-15-2007, 11:41 PM

Suns were fucked as soon as they hired Mike the disaster D'antoni as their coach.

spurtime
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM

Which makes Cavs' sweep at our hands look even worse. My God, you guys suck.

SpursWillOwn
08-16-2007, 12:14 AM
:dont

smrattler
08-16-2007, 12:25 AM

Suns fans are the ones in denial of the truth: Suns are not as good as the Spurs.

There's your truth.

http://www.pmthink.com/uploaded_images/quotestruth-701634.jpg

dbestpro
08-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Let's follow this investigation with another one that asks why a jump shooting team (Suns) shot 20% more free throws in the series than the Spurs.

The plot thickens.
I also heard that JFK and Elvis are living quietly in a Phoenix suburb.

VaSpursFan
08-16-2007, 12:36 AM
the suns lost...nuff said

GSH
08-16-2007, 02:20 AM

The truth is, your "unbeatable" Suns lost Game 1... at home... and without any controversy, even from the most deranged of conspiracy theorists. When that game was over, they were a beaten team. And all the theatrics were nothing but a lame attempt by them to try and save face.

When you play an entire 82-game regular season as hard as you can in order to get home court advantage... and then give that advantage up on the first night against the Spurs? Well, you're screwed. And you know you're screwed. And the rest of the world knows you're screwed.

And trust me...picking up Grant Hill and P.J. Brown is not the recipe for changing things next season, either.

da_suns_fan__
08-16-2007, 02:43 AM
The truth is, your "unbeatable" Suns lost Game 1... at home... and without any controversy, even from the most deranged of conspiracy theorists. When that game was over, they were a beaten team. And all the theatrics were nothing but a lame attempt by them to try and save face.

When you play an entire 82-game regular season as hard as you can in order to get home court advantage... and then give that advantage up on the first night against the Spurs? Well, you're screwed. And you know you're screwed. And the rest of the world knows you're screwed.

And trust me...picking up Grant Hill and P.J. Brown is not the recipe for changing things next season, either.

Actually, youre not really screwed when you win game four. Homecourt advantage back. Problem solved.

GSH
08-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Actually, youre not really screwed when you win game four. Homecourt advantage back. Problem solved.

Problem solved? You see that shiny gold thing Eva Longoria is holding in the photo? That's the problem...the Suns don't have one. And the Suns players knew after Game 1 they weren't going to get one. Just like all their whiny-assed fans, and their even-whinier coach.

If they ever give out a trophy for crying, or trying to re-write history, I fully expect to see the Suns proudly displaying the hardware. Until then, the only problem the team can solve is who will hire the most expensive cripple for the upcoming season.

By mid-season, you'll be blaming Grant Hill's injury problems on Bruce Bowen, mark my words.

exstatic
08-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Yes, the truth IS coming out. Sun fan is a bitter little fucktard.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
:lol

Suns fans are such conspiracy theorists that even the Arizona attorneys are jumping on the bandwagon.

Didn't they say the games in question regarding Donaghy are games like Toronto?

What does that have to do with the Suns?

Texas_Ranger
08-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Cry me a river Suns bitch.

ATRAIN
08-16-2007, 07:23 AM

Suns fans are such conspiracy theorists that even the Arizona attorneys are jumping on the bandwagon.

Didn't they say the games in question regarding Donaghy are games like Toronto?

What does that have to do with the Suns?

I think you should pink all the suns fans for being little crybabies :)

Is this ever going to end?????

ATRAIN
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Man how sweet would that be.....his only ammo would be something stupid about Eva and how she should get a ring......shit give her a ring......she kept Tony happy and he went all kinds of off in the post season.

Findog
08-16-2007, 07:30 AM
I think you should pink all the suns fans for being little crybabies :)

Is this ever going to end?????

It only ends when you guys collectively decide to starve the trolls. Truth be told, I thought the Suns got a raw deal on the suspensions, but the fucking whining has dissipated whatever sympathy I once had.

Mark in Austin
08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas on Wednesday sent letters to NBA Commissioner David Stern and to the head of the FBI in Washington, DC, asking that his office be given any and all information about Donaghy's handling of the two Suns games that he officiated. Thomas wants to pander to voters since he's coming up for election soon, and thought this would be an easy way to do it. He could care less whether Donaghy gambled on the games, provided inside information to gamblers or helped determine the outcome by making bad officiating calls; as long as he can keep voters distracted from his lousy conviction record.

There. Fixed it.

ATRAIN
08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
It only ends when you guys collectively decide to starve the trolls. Truth be told, I thought the Suns got a raw deal on the suspensions, but the fucking whining has dissipated whatever sympathy I once had.

I actually dont comment much on Suns cry baby posts much lately (I try to avoid them unless im looking for a fight). I only decided to comment on this one because Kori posted on it. It was the first time I had see her comment on their crybaby antics.

MajorMike
08-16-2007, 08:21 AM
On another note, I was getting a little worried there. It was already Monday and no Spur fans had started any threads about the Suns. But of course, the obsession continues....

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Music. Sweeeet Music.

Mister Sinister
08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Man how sweet would that be.....his only ammo would be something stupid about Eva and how she should get a ring......shit give her a ring......she kept Tony happy and he went all kinds of off in the post season.
If it came out that Donaghy bet on the Suns, I would laugh myself into a fucking *COMA.*

hater
08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
hahahahaha suns fans still crying

:lol :lol

makes me laugh every time!

how pathetic, when we all grow old, suns fans still gonna be talking about this. It is their highlight of their pathetic franchise

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2007, 08:34 AM
We'll never win a thing, so maybe we can have some sort of moral victory if we have an attorney who's a Suns fan act like he's getting to the bottom of the truth.

Spurminator
08-16-2007, 08:54 AM
:lmao :lmao

This is like something you might read in The Onion. How embarrassing.

urunobili
08-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Who gives a damn? We will STILL be the champs and you will STILL be the losers so give it up already. You forget that you did not win the other 4 games so what difference will it make? Maybe if Amare and Diaw had some more brains they would have stayed on the bench, or if Nash had not tried to act like he was mortally wounded you would have had a chance. Did you see how fast Nash jumped up when he realized his actions after the flop were detrimental to his team? Because of him all your team got all hissified and up in arms. Screw your little run and gun team. Learn how to play championship basketball instead of just trying to outscore everyone then you might have a chance to realize your dream of bringing home at least 1 championship to your state. Won't ever happen, but you can dream anyways. Ces la vie!

awesome dude! :clap

Oh, Gee!!
08-16-2007, 09:21 AM

ehh, the truth is overrated

Lebowski Brickowski
08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
WOW -- The TWO games he officiated???? The TWO GAMES!!! Donaughy himself says that he affected basketball games FOR FOUR YEARS!!!!!! FOUR FUCKING YEARS!!!!

THE SUNS WOULDA BEEN CHAMPS 4 YEARS RUNNING, GODDAMMIT! DONAUGHY KILLED WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST DYNASTY OF ALL TIME!!!!
:cry

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

losers :toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2007, 09:26 AM
We should have a Sour Grapes forum on ST. That way all the Phoenix Suns fans could post there.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
The thing is, we already know the truth -- that never seems to go well for Suns fans who want the NBA Playoffs to become some hybrid of the WWE and American Idol, with popularity being the decisive factor in whether a team advances (and being the recurrent fallback for fans of a team that keeps coming up short -- three consecutive seasons of coming up short to the Texas powers).

What will really chafe Suns fans who wish to be conspiracy theorists is that Donaghy admitted (as I understand the allegations and his plea colloquy) that he bet on games, but not after April 30, 2007. Since Game 3 of Spurs/Suns was after April 30, 2007 . . . well, I'll leave that to the rest of you to figure out.

Finally, even if there was some proof that Donaghy had bet on Game 3 of the 2007 WCSF -- and by the government's pleadings (which were drafted with Donaghy's cooperation) that would appear to be impossible -- I have no idea how the DA of Maricopa County, Arizona would possibly have jurisdiction to prosecute a purported crime that, if it occurred, took place entirely in Bexar County, Texas. From a legal standpoint, that is the ulimate proof that this ploy has nothing to do with prosecuting a crime and everything to do with pandering to a constituency.

Reggie Miller
08-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas on Wednesday sent letters to NBA Commissioner David Stern and to the head of the FBI in Washington, DC, asking that his office be given any and all information about Donaghy's handling of the two Suns games that he officiated. Thomas wants to pander to voters since he's coming up for election soon, and thought this would be an easy way to do it. He could care less whether Donaghy gambled on the games, provided inside information to gamblers or helped determine the outcome by making bad officiating calls; as long as he can keep voters distracted from his lousy conviction record.

I wish I had written that. :toast

Findog
08-16-2007, 09:37 AM
I wish I had written that. :toast

Once again, leave it to FWD to salvage something from a troll thread.

Sportcamper
08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The Suns games that I saw were lost on account of this... :dramaquee
http://www.hfxnews.ca/photos/TheDailyNews/stories/Suns1.jpg

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 10:38 AM
The Suns games that I saw were lost on account of this...
http://www.brucebowen.com/images/image_bio_pic01.gif
FIFY

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Once again, leave it to FWD to salvage something from a troll thread.

Thanks, but I didn't write what Mark quoted.

callo1
08-16-2007, 01:31 PM

Truth is your team got the beatdown from the Spurs again....same as '05, same as '03.

LIVE WITH IT !!

SAGambler
08-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Probably more of a case of some District Attorney wanting to get in on some high profile case. If the Feds give him the max, then what's the use in trying him in state or local court?

Like a serial killer that is already sentenced to death, why try him in another state. What are they going to do....execute him twice?

Budkin
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
You should be happy that the Suns lost to the NBA Champs.

duh_suns_fan
08-16-2007, 02:08 PM
We are the champs that matter !!!!!!

FromWayDowntown
You should be happy that the Suns lost to the NBA Champs.

True -- unlike 2006, the Suns fans can at least say that their team's failures in 2005 and 2007 came at the hands of the eventual champion.

Avitus1
God Damn it must suck having to look up reasons why your team loses all the time.

Oh, Gee!!
08-16-2007, 02:16 PM

I'll champ you!!!

LakerLanny
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
The whole things is a big stinking pile of feces.

Unfortunately, all games in the Donaghy era are similar to the steroid era in baseball.....the cheating has affected the outcomes and that is very sad.

This all could have been headed off long ago because the officiating has obviously been a festering pimple on the ass of the league for a very long time. But Stern chose to ignore the problem rather than fix it and now it has blown wide open and thankfully will no longer be his decision.

All NBA officials should be fired, David Stern should resign and a neutral 3rd party company should be employed to hire, train and assign all officials to all games. As long as it stays under the control of Stern and his cronies, the reality is the games will continue to be fixed.

FromWayDowntown
08-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Unfortunately, all games in the Donaghy era are similar to the steroid era in baseball.....the cheating has affected the outcomes and that is very sad.

This all could have been headed off long ago because the officiating has obviously been a festering pimple on the ass of the league for a very long time. But Stern chose to ignore the problem rather than fix it and now it has blown wide open and thankfully will no longer be his decision.

All NBA officials should be fired, David Stern should resign and a neutral 3rd party company should be employed to hire, train and assign all officials to all games. As long as it stays under the control of Stern and his cronies, the reality is the games will continue to be fixed.

Your entire argument is devoid of any factual basis, other than your own (well-established) willingness to believe that you're right.

Donaghy hasn't implicated Stern and there's nothing about the Donaghy investigation to suggest that the fixing came from within the league. Donaghy is a rouge actor, acting for his own benefit, and dealing exclusively with individuals who were beyond the NBA's sphere of influence.

I'm not sure how one goes from those facts to a conclusion that Stern is rigging games; but had someone suggested that a poster here might make such an absurd leap, you can be certain my money would have been on you being that poster.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Why are they not checking on the games from November 18, December 11 and January 5 & 17?

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Your entire argument is devoid of any factual basis, other than your own (well-established) willingness to believe that you're right.

Donaghy hasn't implicated Stern and there's nothing about the Donaghy investigation to suggest that the fixing came from within the league. Donaghy is a rouge actor, acting for his own benefit, and dealing exclusively with individuals who were beyond the NBA's sphere of influence.

I'm not sure how one goes from those facts to a conclusion that Stern is rigging games; but had someone suggested that a poster here might make such an absurd leap, you can be certain my money would have been on you being that poster.
Lakerlanny saw Forget Paris and thought it was proof that Stern is fixing games.

lotr1trekkie
08-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Why would gamblers want the Spurs to win? Seems logical to me that the fix would be in for the Suns to get somewhere for the first time. Dongaghy delaying the clock on the Derek Fisher miracle shot makes the most sense. The guy on the clock has that job exclusively. The refs on the court are also looking at the players off the ball etc. They rely on the timekeeper to do his only job.

smrattler
08-16-2007, 03:52 PM

That was so stupid that you didn't even dare use your own ID to post it and have 20 people SIG quote you for the next 3 yrs.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-16-2007, 03:53 PM

That was so stupid that you didn't even dare use your own ID to post it and have 20 people SIG quote you for the next 3 yrs.

I'm pretty sure that's a troll to troll the troll.

Soul_Patch
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
In Other News!!

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/butter.jpg

Tek_XX
08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
How sad is it to be a Suns fan? The county attorney has nothing better to do? It must suck to live in fenix.

SpursDynasty
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh wow, we're so scared.

What are they doing to do, take the championship away?

Even if Donaghy DID alter the outcome of the game, who's to say the Phoenix Suns would have won otherwise? You guys didn't win the season series (2-1 Spurs). The Spurs had a better West record (38-14) then did Phoenix (36-16). In the games with no Donaghy and no suspensions, the record of the series is still 2-2.

Phoenix won 61 games, just because SA let a few games slip to the East (Orlando, Charlotte, Boston), doesn't mean SA is a worse team than Phoenix. Otherwise SA is 61-21 also.

Phoenix fans will just have to deal with the fact that their team's 60+ win seasons are fool's gold.

angel_luv
08-16-2007, 05:13 PM
We are the chumps that matter !!!!!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-16-2007, 05:20 PM

That's right, fire all the officials and take away the officials from a case where one guy was on the take due to personal problems, and put it in the hands of some private company that could be bought by guys like Cuban, Buss, etc.

And that's not even touching the rest of your BS.

Slinkyman
08-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Shouldn't PHX fans be getting excited about Cardinals football? :lol

Slinkyman
08-16-2007, 06:10 PM

I totally expected you not to realize the difference between an official shaving points to pay off gambling debts and a league of players using performance enhancing drugs to gain an advantage.

TheTruth
08-16-2007, 06:12 PM
say what?

LakerLanny
08-16-2007, 06:23 PM
I totally expected you not to realize the difference between an official shaving points to pay off gambling debts and a league of players using performance enhancing drugs to gain an advantage.

I know the truth is painful....you guys are taking this news as a slam on your team.

I don't mean this to be a slam on the Spurs, though it is obvious they have been among the biggest benefactors of this problem.

The issue is bigger then Spurs-Suns or then a Laker fan trying to put down the Spurs.

They don't know what this guy has done for sure, they only know what he has told them.....if guys are willing to shave points and the bookies have them in their pockets, it is very possible, even likely that they also forced him to outright fix outcomes to make even more money on the moneyline.

Weren't you the same morons telling me a few years ago that it "would be impossible for NBA officials to be fixing games with everything that is at stake" or "NBA officials could never fix games without someone finding out"

Bottom line is obviously I have been right all along about the NBA and it's stinking pile of feces officials. You would have to be blind not to see it, the finals between Detroit and LA could not have been more rigged...it was completely and blantantly obvious right from the ridiculous jump ball violations called on the opening tap of the first four games.

Sorry to burst your bubble Tex, but there is also no Santa Claus, no Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy was actually your mom.

LakerLanny
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
That's right, fire all the officials and take away the officials from a case where one guy was on the take due to personal problems, and put it in the hands of some private company that could be bought by guys like Cuban, Buss, etc.

And that's not even touching the rest of your BS.

God you are some unintelligent AssClowns.

Obviously any 3rd party company could not be owned by a NBA owner, you would have strict guidelines in place.

But as long as it's the same old refs assigned by the same old Eastern (mob controlled?) interests, expect more of the same level of "officiating" going forward in the NBA. Which is probably in your team's best interest after watching Duncan struggle with impartial officiating in the Olympics.

Watch Kobe on the National Team this time around, he will show you how it is done without having NBA refs fixing in your favor. :toast

LakerLanny
08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
More on "The Fixer Ref" from the paper that broke the story originally, the NY Post.

Keep telling yourselves it's just "one rogue official", sure it is! :lol

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162007/news/regionalnews/you_bet_refs_guilty_as_hell_regionalnews_jana_wint er___________murray_weiss_______and_stefanie_cohen .htm

exstatic
08-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I think Faker Fanny is funnier than all of the troll Sun fans combined. FF is a fan of the team with the all time win %, and the most trophies, yet it thinks there is a fix in, against the Lakers. :lol:rollin

spurscenter
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
SO Tim danaghey, beat the suns 4 times in the playoffs

Tim Duncan was a beast, Suns couldnt stop

GrandeDavid
08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
So looks like Donaghy helped the Suns trim that lead late.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Carl Williams is gay??

Clutch20
08-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Phoenix Suns!

picnroll
08-17-2007, 01:03 AM

Obviously any 3rd party company could not be owned by a NBA owner, you would have strict guidelines in place.

But as long as it's the same old refs assigned by the same old Eastern (mob controlled?) interests, expect more of the same level of "officiating" going forward in the NBA. Which is probably in your team's best interest after watching Duncan struggle with impartial officiating in the Olympics.

Watch Kobe on the National Team this time around, he will show you how it is done without having NBA refs fixing in your favor. :toast
I became suspicious back in the Blazer - Laker playoff series. I became convinced the NBA is fixed in that Laker - Kings playoff series. After game 2 of the 2004 Spurs - Lakers series where all of a sudden it was okay to mug Duncan and Parker even a blind man could see it.

vander
08-17-2007, 01:08 AM

nope :bang

slayermin
08-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Donagy confirmed refs hold grudges and call a game a certain way.

All I have to say is Nies, Salvatore, and Rush.

cole
08-17-2007, 03:29 AM
seriously, everyone stop replying to this guy's threads. he feeds off it. just ignore him and he'll get bored eventually.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Try reading. Where did I ever say the company would be owned by an NBA owner? Teams make millions of dollars each year they win a title. You don't think some of the win at all cost types would call the owner of the company up and say "hey, I'll give you five million to shade a few calls my team's way"?

So just to be clear, are you saying that the league is fixing the title to hook up a small market team? :lol

Are you willing to admit that all the titles the Lakers won were a result of fixing?

spursfan09
08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Who cares what other fans think. They are just using refs as an excuse like always. Until the Spurs' trophy actually gets taken away from the league, then I will worry about this. But until then Spurs are champs!

SequSpur
08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
I would love for the NBA to clean house of all the old ass referees and bring in some new blood.

the last mav/spur playoff series in 06 was unwatchable from a ref standpoint

then the joey crawford incident, and got damn dick bavetta is a 100 years old...

i still never understood why we know the refs names... david stern is so got damn stupid when it comes to his refs. even the fan knows what kind've of game it will be depending on the ref lineup.

remingtonbo2001
08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I would love for the NBA to clean house of all the old ass referees and bring in some new blood.

the last mav/spur playoff series in 06 was unwatchable from a ref standpoint

then the joey crawford incident, and got damn dick bavetta is a 100 years old...

i still never understood why we know the refs names... david stern is so got damn stupid when it comes to his refs. even the fan knows what kind've of game it will be depending on the ref lineup.

I've never understood why on earth Dick Bavetta is still officiating. A youthful officiating crew would be more capable of reacting with the timing of the game.

FromWayDowntown
08-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Are you willing to admit that all the titles the Lakers won were a result of fixing?

Along with its lack of any factual basis, the biggest problem with Lanny's argument is the inconsistency when it comes to explaining Laker championships/wins. Other teams win titles because officials call the game in their favor, but what of LA? Did LA just overcome officiating (LOLOLOLOL) during its hey-day? or are LA's titles equally tainted?

Spurs Brazil
08-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Mike Monroe: Donaghy's crime opens doubt's door

Web Posted: 08/18/2007 12:26 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

When Tim Donaghy copped a guilty plea to gambling charges in a Brooklyn courthouse, the Maricopa County, Ariz., district attorney threatened to prosecute the defrocked NBA referee if evidence shows he affected the outcome of two Suns playoff games last spring.
One of those was Game 3 of what was the de facto NBA Finals, the Western Conference semifinals matchup between the Suns and the Spurs.

The public elects DAs in Arizona, and if you think there isn't a political underpinning to Andrew Thomas' possible pursuit against Donaghy, you probably believe an expatriate Nigerian e-mailer is willing to give you millions of dollars if you will first send a few thousand bucks to help extricate funds locked in a Swiss bank account.

Even if Thomas' posturing intends to curry favor with county voters, it demonstrates the problem confronting the NBA because of Donaghy — eroded trust in the league and its game.

Even before Donaghy admitted he had been part of gambling conspiracy involving games he officiated and others by providing information about referee assignments and other inside information, there was a segment of NBA fans who believed the league conspired to fix games.

Suggesting the existence of such conspiracies never failed to raise commissioner David Stern's hackles, and rightly so. Such activity, Stern would angrily counter, suggested he and the league were engaged in criminal activity. Of course they weren't, and aren't, and the fact the Spurs, in a much smaller TV market than the Suns, prevailed in May flies in the face of such nonsense.

Such belief, as wrongheaded as it is, explains why Donaghy's admission has been so difficult for Stern to swallow. Stern's outrage the next time some idiot suggests a conspiracy won't have the same ring of moral authority. Nevertheless, the commissioner seems to think the gambling mess will be forgotten by most fans when the 2008 portion of the 2007-08 season arrives.

This seems naïve given the sort of indignation that led Maricopa County's lead lawyer to grandstand on Wednesday. Don't doubt for a moment that fans upset by refs' calls will be yelling "Fix," or "How much do you have on the game?" late next season and into the playoffs.

Donaghy, of course, won't be around to hear such charges. Former colleagues will bear the brunt of anger wrought by his crimes, and that is more unfair than anything the legal system can do. Meet most referees away from the court and you discover they are gracious gentlemen (and one very nice gentlewoman), committed to calling games fairly and correctly.

The league is re-examining all policies as they relate to protecting the game from the influence of gamblers. One change to expect involves the videotape that all referee crews and supervisors review after every game. Every late call that impinges on the point spread is apt to be red-flagged for additional review, something that has not been the case.

Don't be surprised if the league also asks the players' union about ways players can be discouraged from gambling. As things stand, there is no prohibition against legal gambling, other than betting on NBA games. If the union cares about public perception of the game, it will help the league restore public faith.

As for Thomas, we recommend he read Arizona Republic columnist Bob Young's offering after Donaghy came under suspicion.

Young looked at Game 3 play-by-play and concluded it was impossible to say Donaghy's calls affected the outcome. Amare Stoudemire picked up two quick fouls, his third and fourth, with 10:35 left in the third, but Donaghy made neither call. Donaghy called two early fouls on Stoudemire, but one of those was an obvious violation; the other was a charging call where Robert Horry could have been called for a block.

Game 3 also was the scene of Bruce Bowen's knee to Steve Nash's groin, a non-call that was replayed, over and over, after Donaghy was fingered by the FBI. But it was ref Ed F. Rush who let that play go without a call, according to Young's review.

Young won't be running for office any time soon, but he might be able to save Maricopa County's taxpayers some dough if Thomas will read his column and stop grandstanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA20070818.01C.NZ.Metro.1Cmonroe_0818.37da774.ht ml

Obstructed_View
08-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Game 3 also was the scene of Bruce Bowen's knee to Steve Nash's groin, a non-call that was replayed, over and over, after Donaghy was fingered by the FBI. But it was ref Ed F. Rush who let that play go without a call, according to Young's review.
What part of "offensive foul" don't these fucking people understand? The Suns got the fucking call. Jesus.