PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe: If healthy, Udoka will sign this week

Solid D
08-16-2007, 12:43 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA081607.01C.spursudoka.en.33ad358.html

Web Posted: 08/16/2007 12:36 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

Pending results of a physical exam scheduled for today, small forward Ime Udoka expects to sign a contract that will make him a Spur for at least two seasons.

Udoka, a 6-foot-5 forward who started all 75 games he played last season for the Portland Trail Blazers, was to arrive in San Antonio on Wednesday evening. With all other terms of a two-year contract agreed to by both Udoka and the Spurs, an official announcement of his signing should come by the end of the business week.

The NBA office must approve the contract before Udoka can sign it.

The deal is believed to be a two-year guaranteed deal for slightly more than $2 million.

The Spurs officially have remained mum about a contract offer to Udoka, but his agent, Erin Cowan, said the team and his client came to full agreement on terms on Wednesday morning. Udoka then booked a flight to San Antonio for the physical exam.

"Ime will arrive tonight and take a physical (today)," Cowan said Wednesday. "That's the only thing that is pending."

The physical will give the Spurs a chance to test Udoka's right knee. The 30-year-old forward suffered a partially torn meniscus in April and missed the final seven games of the season. Cowan said the injury was not severe and that Udoka wanted to continue playing.

The Blazers, who had long since been eliminated from playoff contention, held him out of action for his own protection.

"Teams looked at that and that hurt us a little bit," Cowan said of his attempts to get a more lucrative deal. "But the Spurs will find out that, just like Bruce Bowen, Ime is a freak of nature physically and just as dedicated to being in shape.

"Ime's very, very excited to join the Spurs. I think it's a win-win situation. It gives Ime a chance to continue his career on the grand stage and, frankly, I think the Spurs are getting a steal of a deal. Maybe we could have gotten more money elsewhere, but the free-agent market dried up a bit, and the longer you wait to make a deal, maybe you're gambling a bit."

Cowan said the contract to which Udoka agreed is guaranteed for two years. Udoka had wanted a player option for the second year.

Cowan said he agreed to the two guaranteed years without the opt-out clause in anticipation of Udoka's ability to prove his worth as a lock-down defender in the mold of Bowen, who will be 38 by the time Udoka becomes a free agent again.

Udoka is the son of a Nigerian who came to the United States. Vitalis Udoka received a business degree from Portland State, became a U.S. citizen, married a woman he met in college and raised his family in Portland.

Udoka graduated from Jefferson High School and remained in town to play at Portland State. Tragically, Vitalis Udoka died the day his son was to play his first preseason game for the Blazers last fall.

Udoka has endowed a scholarship at Portland State in his father's name.

"Udoka's family is excited for him to join the Spurs," Cowan said. "They're on TV 25 times this season, so they will get to see him play a lot."

Parker playing: NBA Finals MVP Tony Parker's injured left ankle has improved enough to allow him to participate in the last two games the French national team has played in preparation for the FIBA European Championships, scheduled to begin Sept. 3 in Spain.

Parker, who returned to San Antonio on Aug. 2 for treatment on his sore ankle after suffering the injury in a practice session, played last weekend in France's loss to Greece in a tournament in Strasbourg, France. He followed with a longer stint in a victory over Slovenia.

Parker is expected to be at full strength by the time France begins its quest for a berth in the 2008 Olympic Games at the European Championships.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

VaSpursFan
08-16-2007, 12:47 AM
sweet...2 lockdown defenders with bowen and ime...when we go small i will no longer have fear.

the spurs FO are pimps no matter how much i question them...

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-16-2007, 12:48 AM
I think it's safe to say it's done now.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-16-2007, 12:53 AM
His knee does not concern me at all. He's had plenty of time to rest and hasn't participated in any charity/community/basketball with borders-related games that I know of.

Dex
08-16-2007, 12:55 AM
I think it's safe to say it's done now.

Pending the physical. Which if he fails that, we prolly don't want him anyways.

Offseason - check.

Ready for October.

Bruno
08-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Cowan said the contract to which Udoka agreed is guaranteed for two years. Udoka had wanted a player option for the second year.

Cowan said he agreed to the two guaranteed years without the opt-out clause in anticipation of Udoka's ability to prove his worth as a lock-down defender in the mold of Bowen, who will be 38 by the time Udoka becomes a free agent again.

:elephant
Spurs will have a lot of holes next summer. 5 players of this year 10 men playoffs rotation will be free agents in 08. The fact that Spurs won't have to spend a part of their MLE to re-sign Udoka, if he plays well, is a great news.

TheAuthority
08-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Man... you know you are a Spurs homer when you're getting this excited over the signing of Ime Udoka. I mean, it's a good signing for the price, but come on... Ime Udoka. Ime Udoka.

TDMVPDPOY
08-16-2007, 03:34 AM
they should just start the damn season now!!!

Leetonidas
08-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Man... you know you are a Spurs homer when you're getting this excited over the signing of Ime Udoka. I mean, it's a good signing for the price, but come on... Ime Udoka. Ime Udoka.
He's a good defender and rebounder. For teams with two stars at both wing positions, Ime and Bruce can take them, and we no longer have to have Barry get pwned. It is great news. :hungry:

Spurs Brazil
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Spurs will have a lot of holes next summer. 5 players of this year 10 men playoffs rotation will be free agents in 08. The fact that Spurs won't have to spend a part of their MLE to re-sign Udoka, if he plays well, is a great news.

True, great job by the FO

Darkwaters
08-16-2007, 08:11 AM

A lot of the Portland fans were bummed that he left. And not just that he left...but that he came here. Hes a solid player. Don't hate on him because you don't know him.

Kori Ellis
08-16-2007, 08:13 AM
I wonder if he'll pass the physical. With two torn ACL's and a torn meniscus, it's not a lock yet.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2007, 08:25 AM
It might be nice to have a defense minded, hustle-rebounding energy guy again. It's been missing since the Spurs overpaid the last one and sent him to New York.

MoSpur
08-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Its weird that they mention the physical the way they did. When I read that article it stuck out to me, but maybe I am reading too much into it.

CubanMustGo
08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The health issues are a big reason why he couldn't get a better offer elsewhere. If he signs he's getting basically Beno money.

Solid D
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM

Hey, people here get into it on 12th men. Folks were all giggly :elephant over bringing "The Predator" in from Summer League and tatted Cherokee Parks. Predator was cool.
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/amal_mccaskill.jpg

SenorSpur
08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey, people here get into it on 12th men. Folks were all giggly :elephant over bringing "The Predator" in from Summer League and tatted Cherokee Parks. Predator was cool.
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/amal_mccaskill.jpg

Jog my memory. Who was "the Predator"?

Solid D
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Amal McCaskill. He drew his nickname from the dreadlocks he wore and the not-so-close resemblance to the movie Predator.

SenorSpur
08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Amal McCaskill. He drew his nickname from the dreadlocks he wore and the not-so-close resemblance to the movie Predator.

:lol

I remember that dude very well.

Haven't thought about him in years.

The moniker definitely fits him. :lol

Thanks for the clarification.

timvp
08-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I wonder if he'll pass the physical. With two torn ACL's and a torn meniscus, it's not a lock yet.Exactly.

This won't be an open and shut physical for Udoka. I'm sure they'll put his knee through all sorts of exercises to see how it reacts. The Spurs, ever since the Anthony Carter fiasco in 2004, have been extra cautious regarding pre-existing injuries.

I would say chances are Udoka passes the physical, but it's far from an open and shut case at this point. The never ending drama that is the signing of Ime Udoka will continue until ink hits that contract.

timvp
08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Spurs will have a lot of holes next summer. 5 players of this year 10 men playoffs rotation will be free agents in 08. The fact that Spurs won't have to spend a part of their MLE to re-sign Udoka, if he plays well, is a great news.Agreed. I was hoping against a player option because that'd make re-signing him in the summer very difficult. If he had a player option, the likelihood would have been high that he would turn out to be a one year rental.

Now with at least two years to evaluate him and get his Bird status, the probability is much higher that Udoka could be a Spur for a long time. If he can pass the physical, he's going to be a very good signing, especially considering he's getting less than Jacque Vaughn money.

My only concern with him will be whether he can continue to shoot well in the Spurs' system. Most shooters struggle with the Spurs their first season. If that's the case with Udoka, he probably doesn't do enough other things well enough to warrant more playing time than some of the other swings in the mix.

However, if he can shoot it, I really like his future. It gives the Spurs another very good one-on-one defender on the perimeter, which will make the Spurs' league best defense even better.

:smokin

phxspurfan
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Offseason - check.

What about re-upping Beno??

Avitus1
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like hes pretty much locked in but who else are the Spurs going to sign? Dont they have 2 more open spots?

rayray2k8
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
RealGM Staff Report -
The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard/forward Ime Udoka. Per team policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Udoka spent last season with the Portland Trail Blazers where he averaged 8.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists while starting in all 75 games in which he appeared. He led the Blazers – and ranked 19th in the NBA – in three-point shooting during the 2006-07 season, knocking down .406 (89-219) of his attempts. He also scored in double-digits 29 times and grabbed 5 or more rebounds on 21 occasions In addition to Portland, Udoka has spent time with the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47637/20070816/spurs_officially_sign_udoka/

CubanMustGo
08-16-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/udoka_070816.html

August 16, 2007
Spurs Sign Ime Udoka

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed guard/forward Ime Udoka. Per team policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Udoka spent last season with the Portland Trail Blazers where he averaged 8.4 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists while starting in all 75 games in which he appeared. He led the Blazers – and ranked 19th in the NBA – in three-point shooting during the 2006-07 season, knocking down .406 (89-219) of his attempts. He also scored in double-digits 29 times and grabbed 5 or more rebounds on 21 occasions In addition to Portland, Udoka has spent time with the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks.

Undrafted out of college Udoka has spent time in NBA Development League, USBL, IBA and internationally in Spain and France. In 2005-06 he was named to the All-NBA D-League First Team and was also the recipient of Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award after averaging 17.1 points and 6.2 rebounds in 45 games for the Fort Worth Flyers. Udoka began his D-League career in 2002-03 with the Charleston Lowgators. He also represented Nigeria at the 2006 FIBA World Championships, where he averaged 14.2 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists.

The 6-5, 220-pound Udoka closed out his college career at Portland State where he led the Vikings in scoring, rebounding, steals and blocked shots during the 1999-2000 season. He was also named first team All-Big Sky Conference and selected as the league’s Newcomer of the Year. Udoka began his college career at Eastern Utah and spent a year at University of San Francisco before arriving at Portland State.

Looks like RealGM ripped off the Spurs' site pretty blantatly there ...

Streakyshooter08
08-16-2007, 02:16 PM
:danceclub

I hope this really is official! :) Will there be a press conference?

Edit: It is!

koopa
08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
it's also on spurs.com that he has been signed

romsho
08-16-2007, 02:48 PM
"Udoka's family is excited for him to join the Spurs," Cowan said. "They're on TV 25 times this season, so they will get to see him play a lot."
---------------------------------------------------
[email protected][/QUOTE]

Or, you could just go buckwild crazy and get DIRECTV with the NBA Ticket...just a suggestion.

TheAuthority
08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
A lot of the Portland fans were bummed that he left. And not just that he left...but that he came here. Hes a solid player. Don't hate on him because you don't know him.

I know who he is. I fail to see how it's such a great signing, except in the financial aspect. He can play defense? Cool. Is he better than Barry? No. Is he a better defender? Most people in the NBA are. Not everything is predicated on defense. Barry has much more to his game then Udoka does. Barry's basketball IQ is higher, I guarantee it. Which is the most important part of a basketball player at the NBA level. Way more versatile.

No way in hell am I letting the Spurs front office off the hook for signing some scrub like Udoka this offseason after that debacle with Houston. And I'm sure all the Spurs homers are going to be all over his dick just because he tries to play defense. It's real easy to play good D when Tim's back there. Bowen's a good defender, but let's not kid ourselves... he's allowed to play that kind of defense because #21 is back there to correct his mistakes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2007, 08:46 AM
:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
quote=theauthority]Barry's basketball IQ is higher, I guarantee it. Which is the most important part of a basketball player at the NBA level. [/quote]

Right. Barry has a higher bball IQ than guys like Shaq, Stephen Jackson, Shawn Marion, Josh Howard, etc.

But I'd sure as hell take any of them before him.

Howabout waiting to see what the guy does before you condemn him to the trash pile? Everyone thought Stephen Jackson was a scrub and practice squad when we signed him, and all he did was help us win a ring as a starter.

And please, get over yourself and this whole 'I won't let them off the hook for the Houston trade' crap. It's not about this signing 'making up' for that decision, this signing wasn't damage control to appease fans angry at the Houston trade, it was to address a need and make our team better.

We were after Udoka from day 1 of free agency, I think I'll trust Pop's talent evaluation skills over yours.

TheAuthority
08-18-2007, 04:23 AM
quote=theauthority]We were after Udoka from day 1 of free agency, I think I'll trust Pop's talent evaluation skills over yours.

Popovich doesn't evaluate shit. If you recall, Popovich thought Parker was garbage when he used his great 'evaluation skills'. Buford had to convince the guy that Parker was worth taking. Wow, he drafted Tim Duncan, though... right? That shit was some great scouting there! First class. The only brilliant move he's ever made was giving Tim all of the credit for his success, because that's who deserves it. He sure as hell doesn't. If anything, Popovich has cost the Spurs championships. See: Dallas/San Antonio, 2006

And yes, they sure as hell do need a damage control move after that debacle. That was unfathomably stupid.. any way you spin it. Udoka is nice for the price, just like Vaughn. Both are scrubs. Let's bring in some real talent, please.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-18-2007, 10:17 AM
:lmao

Darkwaters
08-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Popovich doesn't evaluate shit. If you recall, Popovich thought Parker was garbage when he used his great 'evaluation skills'. Buford had to convince the guy that Parker was worth taking.

Thats because Parker WAS shit in his first workout. The first team he met with the the Spurs and he was obviously tense and didn't do a good job at all. It wasn't until Parker starting lighting it up in his later workouts that the Spurs saw fit to bring him back in. But its hardly like Pop saw Tony's A game and still passed on him. He saw his C or D game and still was willing to take a second look.

And yes, they sure as hell do need a damage control move after that debacle. That was unfathomably stupid.. any way you spin it. Udoka is nice for the price, just like Vaughn. Both are scrubs. Let's bring in some real talent, please.

Yea, I agree. Undrafted FAs are garbage. Theres a reason why they didn't get drafted. Obviously all of our other ventures with undrated FAs like Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto were complete busts. So it's plain and simple to see that Udoka will just be more of the same.

Switchman
08-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I know who he is. I fail to see how it's such a great signing, except in the financial aspect. He can play defense? Cool. Is he better than Barry? No. Is he a better defender? Most people in the NBA are. Not everything is predicated on defense. Barry has much more to his game then Udoka does. Barry's basketball IQ is higher, I guarantee it. Which is the most important part of a basketball player at the NBA level. Way more versatile.

No way in hell am I letting the Spurs front office off the hook for signing some scrub like Udoka this offseason after that debacle with Houston. And I'm sure all the Spurs homers are going to be all over his dick just because he tries to play defense. It's real easy to play good D when Tim's back there. Bowen's a good defender, but let's not kid ourselves... he's allowed to play that kind of defense because #21 is back there to correct his mistakes.

I'll take lockdown defense (hopefully) EVERY NIGHT, over good performance every 5 games.

Obstructed_View
08-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Barry's basketball IQ is higher, I guarantee it. Which is the most important part of a basketball player at the NBA level.
Since you just said this about a guy who averaged three points and one assist per game in the most recent playoff run, I'm going to conclude that your point is stupid.

TheAuthority
08-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Since you just said this about a guy who averaged three points and one assist per game in the most recent playoff run, I'm going to conclude that your point is stupid.

How is one season's playoff statistics an indicator of their basketball IQ? Sorry, I fail to understand that. According to this theory, I'm going to assume Tony Parker sucked major ass before this season... considering he regularly disappeared in the playoffs and had to ride the bench during crunch time, while a back-up point guard was brought in to run the team, during the most important minutes of the season.

some_user86
08-19-2007, 07:36 AM
How is one season's playoff statistics an indicator of their basketball IQ? Sorry, I fail to understand that. According to this theory, I'm going to assume Tony Parker sucked major ass before this season... considering he regularly disappeared in the playoffs and had to ride the bench during crunch time, while a back-up point guard was brought in to run the team, during the most important minutes of the season.

Well... Yes.

We were always banking on TP's potential. But if you don't show up to use your talent, what good are you?

Barry's stats indicate his usefulness to the team, especially in the fact that the areas in which he is most useful to the team should and would show up in some manner at the stat line. It's not like he is Bowen, whose defense prowess can't be counted on the stat line. I can't understand how you can so severely underestimate Bowen.

When Bowen doesn't do his job, the whole team feels it. You can sense when the team is getting abused by The Guy from the other team. And not one person, not even TD's great D, can stop The Guy from the other team if it has come to that point. (I believe this can most efficiently be demonstrated when Bowen properly defends a perimeter guard who relies less on slashing. There shooting percentage generally drops, especially even when TD isn't a factor.)

TheAuthority
08-20-2007, 03:04 AM
We were always banking on TP's potential. But if you don't show up to use your talent, what good are you?

Barry's stats indicate his usefulness to the team, especially in the fact that the areas in which he is most useful to the team should and would show up in some manner at the stat line.

It's hard to put up numbers when you don't get any run. Finley takes all of his minutes. I'd like to see Barry get more run at point, instead of that scrub Vaughn. Unless Barry is really getting burnt on D, it's a much better solution to the backup point guard situation. Vaughn brings NOTHING on offense, and I mean nothing. Hopefully Popovich actually gives Beno some run next year, during the regular season. Beno is getting the wrap around the Spurs community that Rasho used to have, and I think it's totally unwarranted to both players. Rasho did a fine job. Beno is a good player, Popovich is just fucking up and has fucked up his development.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Popovich doesn't evaluate shit. If you recall, Popovich thought Parker was garbage when he used his great 'evaluation skills'. Buford had to convince the guy that Parker was worth taking. Wow, he drafted Tim Duncan, though... right? That shit was some great scouting there! First class. The only brilliant move he's ever made was giving Tim all of the credit for his success, because that's who deserves it. He sure as hell doesn't. If anything, Popovich has cost the Spurs championships. See: Dallas/San Antonio, 2006

And yes, they sure as hell do need a damage control move after that debacle. That was unfathomably stupid.. any way you spin it. Udoka is nice for the price, just like Vaughn. Both are scrubs. .

You're right, Pop is a scrub. He had nothing to do with us picking up Bowen, Finley, Stephen Jackson, etc.

Let's bring in some real talent, please

I'd like to see the same out of your posts, instead of your whining. You sound like a Mavs fan wondering why they didn't get KG.

AFBlue
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Marc Stein's take on the signing of Udoka. He also highlights the pursuit of Amir Johnson, which I never linked to the Butler salary dump before...but he does.

Just FYI.

Robby (San Antonio, TX): Whats your take on Ime Udoka? Is he really a second coming of Bruce Bowen? Because Bruce is really gettin' old, so we're gonna need someone to fill in in a few years.

Marc Stein: WAY premature to start comparing Udoka to Bowen. But a lot of teams liked him and he's a very nice acquisition for the Spurs, especially at a reasonable price. When they made the Scola trade, they were hoping to come out of it with enough financial wiggle room to prise Amir Johnson from the Pistons. Provided his knee troubles don't resurface, Udoka is a very nice fallback.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16883

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm still stunned the Spurs would rather overpay for Amir Johnson than find any worth for Luis Scola (or sign him themselves).

ChumpDumper
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm not. Amir is the kind of player we need. He does everything Scola doesn't.

Holt's Cat
08-20-2007, 03:07 PM
The Spurs may be better off with Udoka.

Solid D
08-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I wonder if Pop called Udoka first or Johnson first on Day 1. I doubt he used alphabetical order for his criteria.