PDA

View Full Version : Donaghy Hints At Other Refs' Biases

freedom&justice
08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
DIRTBAG DONAGHY HINTS AT OTHER REFS' BIASES
By MARC BERMAN

August 16, 2007 -- In pleading guilty to two felony counts related to gambling yesterday, Tim Donaghy cast a cloud over all referees when he said in federal court that one of his betting tips to gamblers centered on referees' relationships with certain NBA players.
Donaghy also said he made picks based on which referee crew would be working a game, and that he got paid for every pick that was correct.

In addition, the disgraced former NBA official said he made picks on some games he worked.

By acknowledging he used referees' identities as a handicapping tool, Donaghy implied NBA officials show favoritism to some teams and players - a widely held theory that has sullied the league's image.

The NBA's Referees Association was quick to release a statement after Donaghy's court appearance to dispute the integrity issue.

Association spokesman Lamell McMorris said, "We recognize that a cloud has descended upon all referees, but we are committed to showing the public this was an isolated event and NBA officiating is conducted at the highest levels of honesty, integrity and fairness."

Donaghy said in court yesterday, "I was given access to master referee schedules that included the identities of officiating crews for particular games. I was also aware of the manner in which officials interact with players and called games as well as the condition of players prior to a game. By having this non-public information, I was in a unique position to predict the outcome of NBA games."

Donaghy said he used "this non-public information in order to pick NBA teams that I predicted would win particular games and also cover the point spreads set by professional bookmakers." :reading

Commissioner David Stern would not comment directly on the implication that refs show favoritism, but acknowledged he is investigating all aspects of officiating.

"We will continue our ongoing review of the league's officials program to ensure the best possible policies and procedures are in place to protect the integrity of the game," he said.

John Lauro, Donaghy's lawyer, seemed angered at Stern yesterday, believed to be because of Stern's news conference a few weeks ago in which the commissioner spoke as if Donaghy had already been found guilty of the charges.

"I'm sure there are questions that need to be addressed to the league, need to be addressed to Commissioner Stern," Lauro snarled, referring to the referee issue. "As I understand it, he held a press conference previously and is comfortable talking to the press [about this case]."

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162007/sports/dirtbag_donaghy_hints_at_other_refs_biases_sports_ marc_berman.htm

wildbill2u
08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Does he mean a bad relationship like between Pal Joey and TD? That one has already been exposed as real.

If this allegation by Donneghy is what he will testify to, it would make it more difficult for the NBA to welcome Pal Joey back into the fold.

SpursDynasty
08-16-2007, 12:33 PM
He must have made a fortune betting on Dallas winning, with the league's refs and their favoritism to Dallas.

Findog
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM
He must have made a fortune betting on Dallas winning, with the league's refs and their favoritism to Dallas.

haha, you must not have seen the 06 Finals.

LakerLanny
08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Does he mean a bad relationship like between Pal Joey and TD? That one has already been exposed as real.

If this allegation by Donneghy is what he will testify to, it would make it more difficult for the NBA to welcome Pal Joey back into the fold.

I don't know what else Joey Crawford has to do to get himself fired. Maybe starting a dog fighting ring would do it because apparently being a convicted tax felon and obvious fixer of games hasn't been enough yet.

Maybe go back to Cardinal O'Hara HS to get another batch of fixers for the upcoming season, God forbid we ever see NBA games impartially officiated.....then we might actually have a sport again and we can't have that.

freedom&justice
08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
It's not just Joey - I think it's the other refs as well. Everyone knows refs have players they hate - can't think of an example right now, but I think Donaghy implied it was a whole field of refs as referenced by his talking about looking at a master list of ref crews to decide who to bet on. This could involve guys like Salvatore, Grillo, etc.

SAGambler
08-16-2007, 01:56 PM
It's not just Joey - I think it's the other refs as well. Everyone knows refs have players they hate - can't think of an example right now, but I think Donaghy implied it was a whole field of refs as referenced by his talking about looking at a master list of ref crews to decide who to bet on. This could involve guys like Salvatore, Grillo, etc.

Well, hate might be an extreme word, but certainly there are players that are on certain refs "radars" and while they may give that player a "T" or even toss them from a game, they might let another player go under the same circumstance.

Take Rasheed Wallace. What's the odds going into a game that he is going to be hit with a T? Some refs take a little bit more than others from him, but generally he is already seen as a troublemaker, so they are going to get him at first opportunity.