PDA

View Full Version : SI.com's All Current Team

duncan228
08-16-2007, 01:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dreamteams/08/06/mlb.current/index.html

My All-Current Team
Jeter, A-Rod, Manny lead the crop of today's stars

By Tom Verducci

If you had to win a World Series right now, whom would you pick? That's the leading question toward picking my team of the best players today. Age doesn't matter too much, though I do lean toward guys with fresh legs in their prime. (As with the all-time team, I picked players specifically for each outfield spot and exercised more freedom in filling out the bench.) Here is my all-star team of the best players at each position today.

INFIELDERS

C | Joe Mauer | Minnesota Twins
Only 24, with a .316 lifetime average and .396 on-base percentage.

1B | Albert Pujols | St. Louis Cardinals
Maybe the greatest start to a career in history: six straight seasons hitting .300 or better, with at least 30 homers, 100 RBIs, 100 runs and a top-four MVP finish.

2B | Chase Utley | Philadelphia Phillies
He's clearly the best second baseman in the game and getting better. His batting average has gone up four consecutive years.

SS | Derek Jeter | New York Yankees
His defense is slipping, but he is a consistent offensive force who will march well beyond 3,000 hits.

3B | Alex Rodriguez | New York Yankees
Best ever among a rare breed: a game-changing infielder.

OUTFIELDERS

LF | Manny Ramirez | Boston Red Sox
His power numbers may be down slightly this year, but he's still as pure a hitter as they come.

CF | Ichiro Suzuki | Seattle Mariners
A hit machine, his graceful, gliding style at bat, and in the field, is a pleasure to watch.

RF | Vladimir Guerrero | Los Angeles Angels
He's the most dangerous offensive force in the game because he can hit absolutely anything and hit it hard. Guerrero is a great combination of power and hand-eye coordination.

PITCHERS

SP
Johan Santana
Minnesota Twins SP
Roy Halladay
Toronto Blue Jays SP
Roy Oswalt
Houston Astros SP
Jake Peavy
San Diego Padres SP
Justin Verlander
Detroit Tigers
Five reasons why young pitchers (and steroid testing) have begun to take back the game from the sluggers.

CLOSER | Mariano Rivera | New York Yankees
His cutter is among the greatest pitches in history. When he's on, he's a one-pitch pitcher, but hitters still can't hit what they know is coming.

MANAGER, COACHES

Manager | Jim Leyland | Detroit Tigers
Excels at both in-game strategy and player motivation.

Pitching Coach | Rick Peterson | New York Mets
His track record in Oakland and New York is too good to ignore.

Hitting Coach | Rudy Jaramillo | Texas Rangers
There's a reason he's the highest-paid and longest-tenured hitting coach.

RESERVES

POSITION PLAYER COMMENT
CATCHER Russell Martin Fierce competitor who keeps getting better.
INFIELDERS Jose Reyes
Miguel Cabrera Reyes is the most exciting player in baseball.
OUTFIELDERS Grady Sizemore
Barry Bonds
Matt Holliday Sizemore is the total package: power, speed, defense and a burning desire to win.
BULLPEN Trevor Hoffman
C.C. Sabathia
Ben Sheets
Brandon Webb
Francisco Rodriguez Wish I had room for John Smoltz, because he lives for the big game

K-State Spur
08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Jeter's defense has always been suspect (the fact that he has 2 gold gloves only further invalidates that award), it's just that his 'sportscenter' plays are becoming fewer and farther between.

DOMINATOR
08-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Jeter's defense has always been suspect (the fact that he has 2 gold gloves only further invalidates that award), it's just that his 'sportscenter' plays are becoming fewer and farther between.
jeter the best SS in the game right now is a joke. i'd take hanley ramirez or reyes over him anyday. jeter didn't even deserve those gold gloves his defense is the most overrated.

JMarkJohns
08-17-2007, 07:37 PM
How is it that the defending NL Cy Young winner, who's actively throwing 37 scoreless innings and counting, doesn't make the starting rotation?

I mean, I love Peavy. He's sick. Padres are my second-favorite NL team. But Webb dominates in a top-5 hitter's park, while Peavy dominates in the top pitcher's park in the bigs.

I know he made the team, and I know every pitcher on the list is deserving, but some more so than others, and Webb is a top-3 pitcher in the game RIGHT NOW.

DOMINATOR
08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
How is it that the defending NL Cy Young winner, who's actively throwing 37 scoreless innings and counting, doesn't make the starting rotation?

I mean, I love Peavy. He's sick. Padres are my second-favorite NL team. But Webb dominates in a top-5 hitter's park, while Peavy dominates in the top pitcher's park in the bigs.

I know he made the team, and I know every pitcher on the list is deserving, but some more so than others, and Webb is a top-3 pitcher in the game RIGHT NOW.
cuz peavy is a strikeout pitcher... which is flashy and media loves that stuff.
and he is better on the road than at home... Road era:1.06... Home era:3.10
Roy Oswalt should have won the Cy Young last year.
i'd take Webb over Halladay though

JMarkJohns
08-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Peavy is certainly great strikeout pitcher, but Webb is no schlub. This year he's third in the NL in total strikeouts. And Webb is by far the best innings eater in the MLB.

As for the Cy Young last year...

- ERA -
Webb 3rd
Oswalt 1st

- Whip -
Webb 2nd
Oswalt 5th

- Batting average against -
Webb 9th
Oswalt 17th

- Innings Pitched -
Webb 2nd
Oswalt 9th

- Strikeouts -
Webb 10th
Oswalt 16th

- Wins -
Webb Tied 1st with 16
Oswalt Tied 2nd with 15

I really don't think it's a should have situation. Could have, yes, should have, no freakin' way.

Across the board Webb was the best and most consistent NL pitcher last season.

DOMINATOR
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I really don't think it's a should have situation. Could have, yes, should have, no freakin' way.

Across the board Webb was the best and most consistent NL pitcher last season.
agree... just frustrating when you see Roy could have had a 3rd straight 20 win season. sucks when his teammates dont show up to play. bullpen blew at least 3-4 of his wins... mix that in with his back to back complete game 1 run loses. im just glad Trevor Hoffman didn't win it. he was good but not that good.
roy's nails down the stretch. him and webb are dominating lately.
40 straight no run innings no questioning that. Webb on his way to defending his Cy Young if peavy or chris young let up.

JMarkJohns
08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I think as long as Webb keeps his ERA under 3.0, wins 16 game or more, and that the Diamondbacks take the division, that Webb will win it again. It's really only between he and Peavy. Young, despite his ERA, really isn't in those two's class. I mean, maybe if Peavy goes on a similar tear, and his team makes this a race, but right now, with Webb throwing 42 scoreless innings and counting in the midst of his team's winning 20-of-25 games, including 8 series in a row, I just don't see, save for a complete meltdown by he or his team, how it's going to anyone else.

I do believe ballparks and team records will factor in here. Right or wrong, they tend to always do.