PDA

View Full Version : your first Spurs game!

Brianna
08-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Do you remember your first Spurs game in person? I got to see the Spurs vs The Suns Feb 14th they lost to the Suns at the Alamo dome. Do you remember your first Spurs game in person?

SRJ
08-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Great thread!

First game I saw was at the HemisFair against the Washington Bullets (now Wizards). The final score was 110-83 or some such. My dad took me on IIRC 12-10-1983. I was almost 9 years old.

I'm gonna look on basketball-reference.com and see how close my memory is.

SRJ
08-16-2007, 11:33 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/1984_games.html

I got the date right, not the score. (125-102, Spurs) No box score there, dammit!

mikeanthony21
08-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Do you remember your first Spurs game in person? I got to see the Spurs vs The Suns Feb 14th they lost to the Suns at the Alamo dome. Do you remember your first Spurs game in person?

The first Spurs game I saw in person was the last ABA playoff game in SA vs. the New York Nets and Dr.J... the game where he reached for a loose ball that was flying out of bounds... (I think it was Fatty Taylor who knocked it out bounds) pulled it back in play... raced downcourt... afro flying in the wind... and threw down a thunderous dunk to end the game.

ggoose25
08-16-2007, 11:52 PM
My dad took me to Hemisphere to see a game when I was about 7 years old. I dont remember much about the game, but I do remember being happy I got a coyote stuffed animal.

The next game I went to I accidentally stepped in that lake that used to border the entrance to the arena. I spent the whole game with my socks and shoes off and my feet hanging over the next row of seats. I was freezing the whole damn time, and had to squish all the way back to the car.

Re-Animator
08-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Great thread!

First game I saw was at the HemisFair against the Washington Bullets (now Wizards). The final score was 110-83 or some such. My dad took me on IIRC 12-10-1983. I was almost 9 years old.

I'm gonna look on basketball-reference.com and see how close my memory is.

^ rack the old school Spurs fan!

my first spurs game was back when Rod Strickland made that bad pass.

:wakeup

Guru of Nothing
08-17-2007, 12:11 AM
If memory serves, it was 1992. I can't remember if it was the first or second game of the season. I want to say it was the first game of the season and that Bob Bass coached it, before Tark arrived to take control for game 2. Maybe some geek can refresh my memory.

They played the Mavericks, that I do know - and I remember seeing one of the all time great busts, Doug Smith.

SANANTOJAMES
08-17-2007, 12:11 AM
it was at the dome..they played the clippers and dominique was on the team....i was sittin in the nosebleeds

suitedkings
08-17-2007, 12:12 AM
My first game was when the lakers and spurs played or replayed the ending to their previous meeting at the hemisphere. I am not sure on specifics but i remember the game restarted with a spur at the foul line and there were only seconds left. i believe this has been the only time in history that this has happened.

i tried googling more info but found no luck, perhaps someone else remembers this game?

Solid D
08-17-2007, 12:22 AM
I actually went to see a some Dallas Chaparrals games the first year of the ABA in 1967-68...before they became the Spurs. My first San Antonio Spurs game I believe was the year they moved to the NBA in the 1976-77 season. They played against the Buffalo Braves - Bob McAdoo and Ernie DiGregorio.

Solid D
08-17-2007, 12:31 AM
My first game was when the lakers and spurs played or replayed the ending to their previous meeting at the hemisphere. I am not sure on specifics but i remember the game restarted with a spur at the foul line and there were only seconds left. i believe this has been the only time in history that this has happened.

i tried googling more info but found no luck, perhaps someone else remembers this game?

1982. The only time in NBA history a team has won two games in the same night. Here is a link to a HoopsHype article (written by Dusty Garza) that is a pretty good recap of that "protest" game that replayed the last 3 seconds of a game from 4 months earlier...and then the regularly scheduled game.

http://www.hoopshype.com/columns/shot_garza.htm

mouse
08-17-2007, 12:38 AM
David Robinson was in the house, A game I will never forget as long as I live

Budkin
08-17-2007, 01:53 AM
April 16th 1993 in the Hemisfair. I was in high school in NY and was visiting my sister in Austin for Spring Break. She surprised me with the tickets. The Spurs lost to the lowly Kings (in powder blue) but I was so psyched to see David Robinson with my own two eyes I didn't even care.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/SAS19930416.html

Sense
08-17-2007, 02:21 AM
2 years ago .... 1st game of the playoffs against the Kingz...

and it's still my only game to date..

ill get more this season though.

Windbush
08-17-2007, 02:28 AM
March 3, 1991 Washington Bullets 85 vs San Antonio Spurs 107. David Robinson against Bernard King. The reason I became a Spurs fan in the first place when I got to go while at USNA, Robinson's alma mater. Gotta love Bernard king, though averaging ~30pts that year.

The sone
08-17-2007, 02:41 AM
good times...my dad, not the most emotional of men, had just "some how" gotten tickets to a game. just as coincidence...right after i had lost some tickets to the imax cause he "didnt want to drive all over town to get them for me". needless to say...i was upset. wall a few days later he's all like...we're gonna go to a game down town...actually it was my mom that told me. that kindda made it a little more believable. any hoots... we get there and yikes...tons of peeps...man im sooo stoked. my dad is a loving man but nothing like this. fast forward to tip off.... yatzee! but i only now realize.... its Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's last game in the hemisphere. man....my old man bought me cotton candy and popcorn for eight bucks...this is the same man that said i couldnt watch mtv cause it was a waste of money....fuck...i love that old man...that was a fackin good time...i still have the poster. dam...its amazing how we remember shit like that. fuck... i should buy him a boat...darn....

saporvida
08-17-2007, 02:50 AM
my first time i was 7yrs old but i cant remember who the spurs played that night in the hemisphere...

i went a couple more times at that age and 1 time i got to play on court during halftime in robinson's complete uni from top to bottom vs the coyote and on another occassion i won off the program being sold. i ended up winning an oldschool(not at that time) duffel bag and 2 boxes of skybox cards. those were my most memorable times at the hemisphere but there was this one time my brother and i squeezed through the back fence where the spurs leave the hemisphere from and we got to meet all the spurs that night. robinson is one tall mofo!

anyhow skip to the future and i hadnt gone to any games since i was like 8 yrs old up until around 3 yrs ago and now i try to attend at least 2 playoff games and all finals games when we play at home.

TxJudsonRocketTx
08-17-2007, 04:51 AM
My first game was in I want to say 99' a couple years after I moved to San Antonio, I wasn't really a Spurs fan at that time or a big fan of any team and I was in 5th grade, but it was the game against the Rockets when Mario Elie hit that 3. My godmother and her new boyfriend were in town from Kansas City and decided to take me to a game, Ill never forget the energy level in the dome that game, or the first time I heard GO SPURS GO! It was my first basketball game ever and definitely something to remember. After this game I was pretty much turned into a Spurs fan since they were the first team I saw live and all of the fun I had at the game. I never though I could care about a sports team so much, and that's saying a lot because the Chiefs are huge in KC, but after that game I couldn't stop following the Spurs which is probably bad because when they get knocked out of the playoffs I pretty much don't come out of my room for days

Obstructed_View
08-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Watching Hakeem and AJ beat the Spurs from the Obstructed View seats at Hemisfair in '92. I won the tickets off Zrock and picked them up from the studio across the street from the Alamo. David was injured, I think he'd broken his finger. It was cool watching them walk out onto the floor. I haven't seen the Spurs play in San Antonio since Rodman was there. I think we need to make a road trip this season. My wife and I got married 8 years ago Sunday in San Antonio; why didn't I get married during basketball season????

VinnyTestesVerde
08-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Spurs vs. T-Wolves back in the day at the Alamodome. Don't remember the exact year...it was the early 90s. Back in the day when the Spurs had Rodman, and the T-Wolves had Christian Laettner...

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Back in 2004 I think in January against the Timberwolves. We win 86-66. That game was when Tim Duncan had been recently injured and Malik Rose started in place of him. He came off the bench and everyone was going crazy for him.

urunobili
08-17-2007, 09:52 AM
November 2004.
American Airlines Center in Dallas against the Mavericks.
Tony and Duncan kicked their ass badly and Manu had an average night.

Although that was right after the Olympics in our way to our third ring and i got together with 20 Argentineans and we didn't stop singing "Ole ole le oleeee.. Manuuuuu Manuuu" almost ALL game... that was the heck of a first game!

remingtonbo2001
08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
91' or 92' against the Lakers. Vlade pounded us that night. I remember the Spurs loosing, but my brother and I were fortunate enough to grab D-Rob's autograph after the game. I just remember being in awe over how tall he was.

wildbill2u
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Oct. 10, 1973--the Spurs first game in the old Hemisfair Arena against the San Diego Conquistadors and we lost 126-110. (I admit I looked it up)

I'd got hooked on pro basketball while living in NYC going to college in the 50s. I was starved for BB--or any pro sport for that matter--so when the soon to be Spurs came to town on a lend-lease basis, I wanted to go. But I couldn't find anyone else who did. My best friend, a 5'5" high school band member had no interest at all.

I finally bribed him with a free ticket, free dinner and the promise of all the beer he could drink at the game and he reluctantly agreed to go as a favor. There wasn't much of a crowd and it didn't look like the prospects of the team coming here permanently were too good.

But my buddy and I got roaring drunk and were sitting very close to the action behind the bench. The game was high-speed and fast break in those days.

We had such a great time that we went down and bought season tickets at half-time, not even knowing if we were wasting our money--but the seats were so cheap it didn't matter. We got four seats behind the Spurs bench a few rows up so we could see over the players. We kept those seats for about 20 years before he called it a day and gave up. After that, I wound up splitting some seats down on the front row floor level with another friend for a few years until I moved to Houston.

The bartender of the Spurs Corral, Ralph Reid, the father of future NBA player Robert Reid, made us a deal that first season. Since we came in every night after the game to look at the stat sheets and let the crowd dissipate, he bet us that we wouldn't make every game and make it into the Corral, but if we did, all our drinks would be on the house on the last regular season game. We didn't miss a home game--or the Corral--for years.

Halcyon Days!

medstudent
08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
more like Halcion Daze :)

shelshor
08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I missed the ABA years. My first Spurs game was 5 Jan '77--watched them beat Issel and the Nuggets 137-133

Sec24Row7
08-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I first got to go to games with Brickowski and Cadillac etc playing at Hemisfair...

Obstructed View... wooo

florige
08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure by me not living in Tx. The only time I can see them play in person is when they come to DC to spank up on the Wizards. I'm trying to get tickets to that game for next season.

Reggie Miller
08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
My first Spurs game was watching SA play Indiana at the old Indianapolis State Fairgrounds. I would have to do some work to figure out when that was. It would have been one of the last years of the ABA, becuase I am under 40.

Spurminator
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
December 22, 1990... a loss to the Milwaukee Bucks (114-98) at Hemisfair.

I really didn't care about the score though. I saw David Robinson run the length of the floor and finish an alley-oop and it was the coolest thing my 11-year old eyes had ever seen.

Obstructed_View
08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Obstructed View... wooo
Likely the only time anyone will ever post that. I should enjoy it while I can!

newbiefan
08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
2003??? were we at ATT already?? . during the Holiday season.. got seats from a friend who got them from a corporate member.. they had promised me the tickets before they had gotten them.. they were a little regretful when they got the tickets and noticed they were midcourt on 8th row at ATT.. don't even remember which team Spurs were playing against, but to see Tony, Tim, Manu, etc.. up close was absolutely fun...

Vito Corleone
08-17-2007, 12:53 PM

1975 San Antonio Spurs vs St Louis Spirits. Red White and Blue basketball. One of my greatest memories as a little kid.

sanman53
08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
1996-1997 season: Charlotte, NC.

San Antonio Spurs-vs-Charlotte Hornets
(Spurs won)

I got to see Will Perdue in person!
(And it was Timmy's rookie season, most importantly, I saw the Admiral!)

Sp Ginobili 20
08-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Hmm. My first Spurs game that I went to was at Oakland. My friend got to play on the court before tipoff, so that was pretty cool. It was on April 10 of 05, a b2b coming from an overtime win against the Clippers. I went to see Manu, but him and Timmy didn't play, so I was bummed out. I think Parker lit the Warriors up with 36 and a layup with 2.9 seconds left. It went into double overtime with the Spurs 136 and Warriors 134. Damn, that was a fun night.

GrandeDavid
08-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Some game at Hemisfair Arena during David Robinson's rookie year while I was in high school.

phxspurfan
08-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Obstructed View...now that name makes sense to me. I'm jealous, I've never won anything off the radio...

My first game was a preseason game against AI and the Sixers back in '01. My buddy and I went down the the Alamodome and I remember realizing just how cavernous that place was; it seemed way too big for basketball games.

After that year, I went off to Boston for college and went to a couple regular season games where I got to watch TD dominate the Celtics time and time again. I remember being the only person in our nosebleed seats that was actually happy with the outcome of the games :]

Great thread idea, btw. :clap

alamo50
08-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I love these stories!

Me myself, I saw our Spurs play live in person for the very first time during my very first trip to the States in February 2001 when I was 23 years old.

My goal was to go watch a Spurs game at Madison Square Garden, because I wanted to be where we won our championship. Too bad that the game sold out fast and I decided to still book my flight to New York and settle for the New Jersey matchup instead. Of course I still took the tour through Madison Square Garden and had a good time with the tour guide wearing my Spurs cap that made him tell me that it still hurt what we did to his team 2 years before.

Took the bus from Pensylvania Station to brick city and got a New Jersey basketball as the game promotion item. Walked to the court and stood there with fellow Spurs fans shouting for the player's attention. Too bad for me that my idol was not out on the court when we were allowed down there. We did get Tim's attention and he nodded in approval seeing our Spurs attire.

I remember being dissapointed that AJ was injured so I could not see him play (I never got a chance to watch him play live in person and I am still sad about that). I also remember Timmy missing the put in basket at the end of the game so we lost by 2 points. It was a great game.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2311/drobdrivingre1.jpg

Timmy had 35 points and 21 rebounds, David got 22 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks, but it was Marbury who killed us with 38 points, 9 assists and 4 steals.......but I was more dissapointed about David missing his signature double-double with just 1 rebound.

I would see some more Spurs games over the following years and my dissapointment has been erased.

;)

phxspurfan
08-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Timmy had 35 points and 21 rebounds, David got 22 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks

I miss those days...when TD's minutes probably weren't monitored like some EKG machine.

SScarrJ
08-17-2007, 07:40 PM
unfortunately my first spurs game was Charles Barkley breaking our hearts. I was only 7 or 8 and i was at the top of the Hemisphere and i cried my eyes out. Damn You Barkley

ZStomp
08-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Damn, my was back in 90 or 91....whoa...

MONTENEGRINO
08-17-2007, 08:17 PM
My BIG wish is to see Tim Duncan and Spurs playing live... Hard to happen...

duncan228
08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
My BIG wish is to see Tim Duncan and Spurs playing live... Hard to happen...

I have never seen them in person either.

It is by far the thing I wish for most. (After the important things like health and happiness for myself and my loved ones of course.)

I have come close a couple of times in LA and Boston and Seattle but it has never quite worked out.

I hope this season changes my luck and I get to see them.

caribbean_spur
08-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Before coming to the US I always looked at Spurs games as some kind of grail I would never be able to get. So when I went to see my first spurs game in 2004 for a preseason game I was so happy! Since then I only went to one more game but seeing all these guys play is really special.