PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Has Jasikevicius Been Waived?

Spurs Brazil
08-17-2007, 05:55 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23063.shtml

Warriors: Has Jasikevicius Been Waived?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Preetom Bhattacharya
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 17, 2007, 14:18

Several Greek media outlets are reporting that the club team Olympiakos has reached a contractual agreement with Golden State Warriors reserve guard Sarunas Jasikevicius. Jasikevicius is still under contract with the Warriors for one more year at a salary of $4-million and the team has yet to announce if he has been waived.

The Greek newspaper The Champion reported that Jasikevicius' agent faxed in an unsigned agreement to Olympiakos last night via fax. However, Jasikevicius cannot simply walk away from the Warriors, as the NBA and FIBA have an agreement in place to honor each other's player contracts.

Jasikevicius is currently in Europe playing for his Lithuanian national team. According to Greek reports, he is primarily interested in staying in the NBA, targeting the Celtics or HEAT as potential teams. Again, Jasikevicius cannot simply "sign" with another team, as the Greek newspapers are reporting, unless the Warriors release him from their contract with him, which has not been confirmed.

The Warriors have yet to return calls regarding the matter.

During the season, Jasikevicius made it very clear that the Warriors should either play him more or ship him before next season. "Obviously, it doesn't make sense to keep me here, that's for sure," said Jasikevicius in Spring. "I make too much money to be the third point guard," he continued.

It appears as though the Warriors simply won't need Jasikevicius, as he played in only 11.9 minutes per game after being traded to the Warriors from the Indiana Pacers in January. In the Playoffs, Jasikevicius' role became even less critical, as he played just over a minute per game in garbage time against the Jazz and Spurs.

Plenty of teams are in the market for a cheap, solid point guard option this summer and would love Jasikevicius (and his expiring contract) on their books. His shooting ability and the fact that he has been a solid floor general in his career with European clubs and his Lithuanian national team make him a somewhat attractive piece.

It is possible that the Warriors may be reluctant in letting Jasikevicius go at this point because other than he and Baron Davis, the Warriors do not have other point guard options. Monta Ellis and rookie Marco Belinelli are more shooting guards with some point skills, but cannot be relied on to steadily back up Davis. The Warriors depth at the point guard position may change shortly with the possibility of a Mickael Pietrus sign-and-trade or the Warriors picking someone up with their Bi-Annual Exception ($1.8-million), but nothing seems imminent at this moment.

More on this story as it develops ..

Obstructed_View
08-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't recall seeing him in garbage time when we played the Warriors. :rolleyes

oligarchy
08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
In the Playoffs, Jasikevicius' role became even less critical, as he played just over a minute per game in garbage time against the Jazz and Spurs.
I don't recall seeing the Warriors play the Spurs in the playoffs either.

Reggie Miller
08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Believe me, Jasikevicius has no future as an NBA starter, at least. The Pacers really would have preferred to get rid of Jamal Tinsley if the competition was even close. (Notice that Tinsley was always at least peripherally involved in the recent off-the-court incidents.) This is also considering the fact that Tinsley is not exactly an elite point guard.