PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott>Manu Ginobilli

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:36 PM
:lol

Total whott bait.

Dudes!

But seriously, I'd rather have sean elliot at age 26 than Ginob's.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Who's Sean Eliot and Manu Ginobilli?

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
missing the extra (t).

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Rebounds = Elliott

Clutch = slight edge Ginob's

pts per game = wash

defense and iq = Elliot.

T Park
08-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I liked Sean, prob my favorite all time Spur.

But Ginobili is way better.

Sorry, your wrong.

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I liked Sean, prob my favorite all time Spur.

But Ginobili is way better.

Sorry, your wrong.

Ugh....

Bratwurst>Brisket forum.

E20
08-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Sean Elliott is an excellent role player, as is Manu Ginobili, but where they differ is the fact that Ginobili can be the main player/star on a team and carry them with leadership, example, and attitude, I'm not saying Elliot doesn't possess any of those qualities, but Ginobili has proven to do that. Put Ginobili on the Hawks and he'd average like 26-29 PPG. Speaking of the Hawks, has Elliott ever scored 24 points in a row?

Kori Ellis
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
:lol

Total whott bait.

Dudes!

Why at 26? Manu is 30.

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
has Elliott ever scored 24 points in a row?

You mean like avg 1ppg for 24 games? :lol

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Why at 26? Manu is 30.

manu would also be 26 in this hypothetical.

E20
08-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I actually meant this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ1UjyDcNc

Kori Ellis
08-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Ahh..

Manu at 26 was in his rookie season with the Spurs.

I'll take 2005 playoff Manu instead :)

E20
08-18-2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ExdmuiW9yY&NR=1

This is pretty funny.

Ignignokt
08-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Ahh..

Manu at 26 was in his rookie season with the Spurs.

I'll take 2005 playoff Manu instead :)

Oh rly........

guess those wednesday nights at La Catedral Infinita del Archangel Emmanuel Ginobilli has seduced you into all the hype.

But serioulsy. Sean elliot would have been great to help Bowens stop Nowitzness.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Who's Manu Ginobilli?

Dave McNulla
08-18-2007, 05:40 PM
i love sean elliot, his quirky taw coh cuh baaaa nuh, his great announcing, his comeback, and my favorite all time shot, the memorial day miracle. but i think manu is better than him.

slayermin
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
But serioulsy. Sean elliot would have been great to help Bowens stop Nowitzness.

Actually, Jack would have been better on Nowitzki. I recently rewatched the '03 Western Conference Finals and Pop had Jack on Dirk during that series. And I thought Nelli was the genius. He was just copying Pop.

Switchman
08-18-2007, 05:54 PM
I'd take Manu. He takes over games with his heart.

romain.star
08-18-2007, 05:58 PM
ginobili is overrated, he is an average player... not a proven winner... he is a flopper and has a big and ugly nose... and he is from a Third World country...

This message has been posted by a Phoenix Fan....

barbacoataco
08-18-2007, 07:23 PM
While Sean Elliott is one of my favorite players, I remember him as being one of the main reasons the Spurs from 1990-1996 choked in the playoffs. Are some of you forgetting life before Duncan? The early 90's Spurs were just like Phoenix today, great talent, great record in the regular season, unable to win in the playoffs. Sean Elliott redeemed himself in 1999, but during his prime he simply did not play up to potential in the playoffs.
Manu Ginobili has proven himself to be clutch, clutch and more clutch. Even this year when he struggled at times, he also dominated when it mattered. I would take Manu over Elliott without thinking twice.

duncan228
08-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Sean was a great player.

Manu is a winner on all levels.

I'd take Manu without having to think about it.

jay014
08-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Sean was a good player(overrated)he was more of a fan favorite like Malik & A.J.
Ginobili can take over games drive from anywhere on the court not just the baseline.
Manu should've been MVP of the 2005 finals.

tmtcsc
08-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Manu Ginobili is a cold blooded killer. Sean Elliott was a nice player, a good player but c'mon.....Manu has had some of his biggest games during the playoffs and in must-win situations. Sean never had that same drive to take over games like Manu does.

Yes, I remember the "Shot" on memorial day but can you remember another one ?

wildbill2u
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Sean was a wonderful player with great skills, but....

No one ever put the ball in Sean's hands in the fourth quarter of crucial games and said "go win this game for us."

Manu is an assassin.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-18-2007, 11:57 PM

What are you, insane? I loved Elliott (note the two "t"s!), but Ginobili is close to the most exciting player I've ever seen, not to mention one of the most clutch, and all the winning he has done at every level.

Deimosfobos
08-19-2007, 12:04 AM

This is pretty funny.

That clip is great!!!

Btw... i would take manu too. :)

ALVAREZ6
08-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Manu Ginobili can make a shot from anywhere on the court. Is it magic...or is it magnets? Tiny magnets placed on the ball ensuring a stronger traction to the metal rim...watch: (swoosh)

And when Manu needs more magnets, Manu gets more magnets.

Don't believe me? Watch the finals and you'll see there's really no other explanation.

ALVAREZ6
08-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Does Sean Elliott have magnets?

TMTTRIO
08-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Sean was a great player with great skills and was one of my favorites at that time and brought a lot to the Spurs. Having said that like everybody has pretty much said Manu has taken control some huge games during the playoffs (he especially played so well in '05 he almost won the Finals MVP and was one of the best players at the time). Plus ever since Manu and Tony have come to the Spurs they have made the Spurs even more exciting then ever.

Speaking of Manu, I was bored and ran into this today. It's in Spanish but it looks like it covers Manu's whole career highlights and interviews(hair and all up :p: :lol to '05). I like the part in the first video around the 4:30 mark at the where the opposing coach asks his team who can defend Manu and they all answer no :lol. I still think it's amazing that the behind the back move he used in the Euroleague back then still works a lot with him in the NBA :lol . It's kind of long though :) .
Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7efnhnXtSCE
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWGbXq5uzaw

saporvida
08-19-2007, 03:16 AM
elliott was an awesome player in his traditional role, but with that said ginobili is just killer. he has it all!

maybe you should ask your question to all current gm's out there and i bet they would choose manu as well without having to think about it.

SpursWillOwn
08-19-2007, 04:04 AM
u guys underrated manu 06 and 07, why only playoffs manu 05? he took over games the same way in 06 and 07. who scored the 13 points from freethrows 4th q vs Jazz this playoffs? oh man.. and phx game 2 onwards

saporvida
08-19-2007, 05:48 AM
u guys underrated manu 06 and 07, why only playoffs manu 05? he took over games the same way in 06 and 07. who scored the 13 points from freethrows 4th q vs Jazz this playoffs? oh man.. and phx game 2 onwards

that's what im screamin...

i know manu will always show up when it matters. people try to highlight his career like he was a 1 yr wonder and thats it but we keep him around because hes a fan fav. nah just the opp, he is stellar. he is manu, a player who excels above most and goes the extra distance. BLACK EYE AND ALL!

remingtonbo2001
08-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Manu has led his team to a gold medal. Not many players can say that.

carina_gino20
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I like the part in the first video around the 4:30 mark at the where the opposing coach asks his team who can defend Manu and they all answer no :lol. I still think it's amazing that the behind the back move he used in the Euroleague back then still works a lot with him in the NBA :lol . It's kind of long though :) .
Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7efnhnXtSCE
Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWGbXq5uzaw

:lmao That part really cracked me up. "No vos no!"

pjjrfan
08-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I'll take Manu anyday, in any game, NBA, International, CYO, at the playground behind the church. Some may not want to admit it, but this guy Ginobili is a very special special player. In a pick-up game he may not be the first guy I pick, but he is going to be the second no ands ifs or buts.

In defense of Sean I think that coaches and being in the right system have a lot to do with a players success and progress in the NBA, in Sean's case being Larry Brown's whipping boy his first few seasons in the NBA really IMO set him back and quite possibly kept him from being the kind of star many predicted of him when he came into the league.

carina_gino20
08-19-2007, 10:05 AM
To answer the original question, Manu >>> Elliot

Does Elliot have this page? http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54259&highlight=Ditka :smokin

nkdlunch
08-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Elliot was a pretty good player. Manu is a legend

SRJ
08-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Elliott had a great skill set and was a very good on-ball defender. But he seemed to have an acute form of Small Forward Syndrome, a malady that renders small forwards tentative and indecisive. An aggressive Sean Elliott was a terrific asset.

Manu has a great skill set, is a better passer than Elliott was, can be a disruptive defender off the ball, and is seldom anything but aggressive. He is an even better finisher at the rim than Elliott was, and that's saying something.

Elliott deserves to hang in the AT&T rafters, but so does Manu. And if they're the same age, I'll take Ginobili.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Ginobili's heart in Sean's body would have resulted in a top ten all time player.

urunobili
08-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Manu over Sean without even thinking....

Obstructed_View
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Manu has led his team to a gold medal. Not many players can say that.
Nobody in the US is going to do that for the next ten years or so.

rob5
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Rebounds = Elliott

Clutch = slight edge Ginob's

pts per game = wash

defense and iq = Elliot.
defense=Elliott?? :nope

rob5
08-19-2007, 06:15 PM

This is pretty funny.
nice video, like the music. refreshingly different.

v2freak
08-19-2007, 10:20 PM
I concur with the title of this thread, but Elliott nudges Ginobili only by a hair

Indazone
08-19-2007, 10:49 PM

This is pretty funny.

Yes..Manu one of the GREATEST Players ever for NBA FLOPPING

bobbyjoe
08-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Elliott had a great skill set and was a very good on-ball defender. But he seemed to have an acute form of Small Forward Syndrome, a malady that renders small forwards tentative and indecisive. An aggressive Sean Elliott was a terrific asset.

Manu has a great skill set, is a better passer than Elliott was, can be a disruptive defender off the ball, and is seldom anything but aggressive. He is an even better finisher at the rim than Elliott was, and that's saying something.

Elliott deserves to hang in the AT&T rafters, but so does Manu. And if they're the same age, I'll take Ginobili.

I liked Elliott's game a lot. I think if he played with a back to the basket traditional post guy like Duncan , his game would have even flourished more.

What SF's were better than Elliott in his heyday besides Pippen?

Deimosfobos
08-20-2007, 03:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83H4svA8r-U&mode=related&search=

You have to love youtube, so many great vids :)

SRJ
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I liked Elliott's game a lot. I think if he played with a back to the basket traditional post guy like Duncan , his game would have even flourished more.

What SF's were better than Elliott in his heyday besides Pippen?

Chris Mullin, though his value was all on one side of the floor, was better. Ditto Glen Rice. A healthy Danny Manning was better, but of course Elliott had his share of health issues. Detlef Schrempf was very good, but I can't say with confidence that Schrempf was definitely better than Elliott - call that a wash. Schrempf was a more consistent player IMO. Derrick McKey had the worst bout of Small Forward Syndrome I ever saw - he had some serious talent, but his production was all over the place.

For SFs of Elliott's generation (give or take a few years), I'd rank them: 1) Pippen, 2) Rice 3) Mullin 4) Manning 5-6) Schrempf, Elliott (I'd take Schrempf first for consistency) 7) McKey

I remember Lionel Simmons and Walt Williams having several good seasons at the start of their careers, but fading into role-player status (Williams) or out of the game entirely (Simmons) within 3-4 years. I wonder why?

hater
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Shrempf are you kidding? that dude's balls would shrivel up more than Nowitzkis in the playoffs.

Mister Sinister
08-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Shrempf are you kidding? that dude's balls would shrivel up more than Nowitzkis in the playoffs.
Nowitzki had balls to start with?