PDA

View Full Version : In Preseason it's the 1st Teams that matter...

BeerIsGood!
08-18-2007, 11:46 PM
and the Cowboys made the Broncos their bitch on both sides of the ball. The Bronco O line was so porous that Travis Henry fumbled the handoff due to sheer panic.

That is all.

peewee's lovechild
08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Still, Travis Henry is going to be a dark horse in all the Fantasy Football Leagues.

But, the Cowboys did look good . . . although I was concerned with Romo's mechanics in today's game.

peewee's lovechild
08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
He didn't look as comfortable for this game.
I hope it isn't a sign of things to come.

peewee's lovechild
08-18-2007, 11:59 PM
I hope we don't regret passing on Quinn.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
The Cowboys picked up Spencer, who looks like he'll be a damn good player in this league, and the Browns' 2008 1st for Quinn. I don't think Quinn will be anything special in the league, probably a serviceable starting QB at best. Even if Quinn turns out to be better than serviceable, the Cowboys will probably have two very good or even great players in Spencer and the 1st rounder next year.

Romo looked fine to me in this game. The int. was completely on Austin for stumbling out of his break and not getting to the spot - the throw was fine. The only two glaring mistakes by the 1st team O were made by what will likely be the 4th and 5th or 6th receivers.

I thought it was another very good outing in the quest for consistency with the 1st team, especially against a good D and pretty good O. They made Cutler look like a rookie again by getting pressure and taking away his go-to routes.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 12:07 AM
They also embarrased the Broncos running game that seems to be great every year. They just need to bring that sort of effort and performance on a game by game basis to really be something special.

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 12:14 AM
The Cowboys picked up Spencer, who looks like he'll be a damn good player in this league, and the Browns' 2008 1st for Quinn. I don't think Quinn will be anything special in the league, probably a serviceable starting QB at best. Even if Quinn turns out to be better than serviceable, the Cowboys will probably have two very good or even great players in Spencer and the 1st rounder next year.

Romo looked fine to me in this game. The int. was completely on Austin for stumbling out of his break and not getting to the spot - the throw was fine. The only two glaring mistakes by the 1st team O were made by what will likely be the 4th and 5th or 6th receivers.

Quinn will be a great quarterback. And, we're going to draft McFaden with that pick, Jones has already hinted to it. Running backs don't have the same life expectancy that quarterbacks do.

Really, would you give up on Payton Manning comming out of college for DT with potential?? If you say yes, then I don't know what to say to you.

I'm not saying that I'm not happy with Spenser, because I am. I just hate the thought of passing on a franchise quarterback.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Quinn will be a great quarterback. And, we're going to draft McFaden with that pick, Jones has already hinted to it. Running backs don't have the same life expectancy that quarterbacks do.

Really, would you give up on Payton Manning comming out of college for DT with potential?? If you say yes, then I don't know what to say to you.

I'm not saying that I'm not happy with Spenser, because I am. I just hate the thought of passing on a franchise quarterback.

Please don't compare Brady Quinn to Peyton Manning. Don't do that. Quinn looked good against the people who won't even make the Lions' roster. I've seen him play extensively as a Notre Dame fan (#2 after Texas), and I don't see superstar in this kid. He'll be better than Tim Couch, but no superstar. I even think the chances that he busts due to his lack of fortitude will be fairly high. You look at it from the Cowboy's perspective on draft day - you don't pass up a great piece for your D and a future #1 for a kid that's iffy at best. There's a reason so many teams passed on Quinn. He's a far longshot to come close to Peyton Manning and very much closer to being Ryan Leaf.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 12:24 AM
I just heard that Ekuban tore his achilles in the game - that really sucks for the Broncos. I was hoping both teams would clear the game healthy, but this bullshit hit Ekuban and Travis Henry to a much, much lesser extent.

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Please don't compare Brady Quinn to Peyton Manning. Don't do that. Quinn looked good against the people who won't even make the Lions' roster. I've seen him play extensively as a Notre Dame fan (#2 after Texas), and I don't see superstar in this kid. He'll be better than Tim Couch, but no superstar. I even think the chances that he busts due to his lack of fortitude will be fairly high. You look at it from the Cowboy's perspective on draft day - you don't pass up a great piece for your D and a future #1 for a kid that's iffy at best. There's a reason so many teams passed on Quinn. He's a far longshot to come close to Peyton Manning and very much closer to being Ryan Leaf.

If you saw him extensively as a Notre Dame fan, as you say, then you probably weren't paying close attention. Brady put up some great numbers, but he couldn't do it all by himself. The Dame Defense just wasn't any good, which is why Weiss has hired a new D Coordinator.

By the way, what was the knock on Manning comming out of college . . . "He puts up good numbers but he chokes under pressure."

That followed him into the NFL until he finally got that monkey of his back.

So, the comparison with Manning is apprapo.

As for the reason other teams passed on Quinn, they all had starting quarterbacks!!!!!!

As for getting a future #1 draft pick, is it worth risking not getting a franchise quarterback??

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 12:35 AM
I just heard that Ekuban tore his achilles in the game - that really sucks for the Broncos. I was hoping both teams would clear the game healthy, but this bullshit hit Ekuban and Travis Henry to a much, much lesser extent.

Ekuban was a first round draft pick for the Boys.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 12:51 AM
If you saw him extensively as a Notre Dame fan, as you say, then you probably weren't paying close attention. Brady put up some great numbers, but he couldn't do it all by himself. The Dame Defense just wasn't any good, which is why Weiss has hired a new D Coordinator.

(Quinn put up numbers at ND, but made horrible mistakes in crunch situations. Reminds me more of Drew Bledsoe, who also put up great numbers in college. Quinn will be lucky to be half as good as Bledsoe. There are a ton of college QBs that put up great numbers, but how many turn out to be Peyton Manning?)
By the way, what was the knock on Manning comming out of college . . . "He puts up good numbers but he chokes under pressure."

That followed him into the NFL until he finally got that monkey of his back.

(Same thing. Tons of people with great numbers but never amount to much in the NFL)

So, the comparison with Manning is apprapo.
(Not even close. At least wait for him to do something other than put up good numbers in a preseason game against people who aren't good enough to make the Lions' roster before comparing him to any other NFL QB).

As for the reason other teams passed on Quinn, they all had starting quarterbacks!!!!!!

(Wrong again. Miami, Minn, Tampa Bay, Washington, Houston, Buffalo. None of those teams have shit at QB, and several others like Green Bay and Jacksonville have inconsistent play at QB. They all passed on Quinn, which any one of those would have taken if he was half as good as you make him out to be)

As for getting a future #1 draft pick, is it worth risking not getting a franchise quarterback??
(The chance of Quinn becoming a franchise QB is very low. He isn't rated well in many areas and every professional scout knows that. That's why he dropped. He isn't some great talent with off the field problems like Moss. He's a decent prospect. The way I see it is could the Cowboys afford to miss out on a great LB opposite Ware that could replace Ellis if needed and a future (probably high) 1st round pick for a longshot young QB, especially since they already have a young QB with a ton of potential who has already shown he has the ability to be successful in the NFL? Of course the answer is NO.)

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 01:23 AM
(Not even close. At least wait for him to do something other than put up good numbers in a preseason game against people who aren't good enough to make the Lions' roster before comparing him to any other NFL QB).

I only said that the comparisons where similar. I never said he was already as good as Manning. You're putting words in my mouth. And, if you truly know football, then you would see the comparisons. Quinn had the same hype Manning did in college. He has the same potential, too.

(Wrong again. Miami, Minn, Tampa Bay, Washington, Houston, Buffalo. None of those teams have shit at QB, and several others like Green Bay and Jacksonville have inconsistent play at QB. They all passed on Quinn, which any one of those would have taken if he was half as good as you make him out to be)

Miami - Had Culpepper and were busy trying to get Green.
Minnesota - Already invested in Tavarias Jackson
Tampa Bay - Already has 400 quarterbacks (didn't you know that one?)
Washington - Same as Minny, they have Jason Campbell they invested in
Houston - had extended Carr's contract, but were looking to land Shaub even then.
Buffalo - did you even see Losman play last year?? Come on man!!
Jacksonville - has two quarterbacks already
Green Bay - Favre is going to play until he's 60 and Roger's is the heir apparent.

Is that all you got?

midgetonadonkey
08-19-2007, 01:54 AM
I only said that the comparisons where similar. I never said he was already as good as Manning. You're putting words in my mouth. And, if you truly know football, then you would see the comparisons. Quinn had the same hype Manning did in college. He has the same potential, too.

Houston - had extended Carr's contract, but were looking to land Shaub even then.
Green Bay - Favre is going to play until he's 60 and Roger's is the heir apparent.

Is that all you got?

If Quinn was such a sure thing, any of those teams would've made the pick. You think Minny, TB, Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, or GB are absolutely sure about their QB situation? If you think they are set then you are full of shit. Also, if he was such a sure thing, why did your precious Cowboys pass on a "franchise" QB when they aren't even sure Romo is going to pan out.

midgetonadonkey
08-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Blinded by homerism...

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 02:14 AM

Is that all you got?

You just named a bunch of QBs have have done jack and shit in the NFL. Losman is the only one who's done anything, but he's still inconsistent. All of the others don't have any experience or any accomplishments at all. You've been owned severely. Just give it up.

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 02:14 AM
If Quinn was such a sure thing, any of those teams would've made the pick. You think Minny, TB, Buffalo, Houston, Jacksonville, or GB are absolutely sure about their QB situation? If you think they are set then you are full of shit. Also, if he was such a sure thing, why did your precious Cowboys pass on a "franchise" QB when they aren't even sure Romo is going to pan out.

All of those teams have invested way too much to back off and start all over again.

And, even Jerry Jones said that he might regret the day he passed on Brady Quinn.

So, what exactly are you trying to point out here?

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 02:16 AM
You just named a bunch of QBs have have done jack and shit in the NFL. Losman is the only one who's done anything, but he's still inconsistent. All of the others don't have any experience or any accomplishments at all. You've been owned severely. Just give it up.

How exactly have I been owned?

Break down the team needs. Then check into the contract situations with each of the QBs. Then, you can come and tell me what is what.

Do it.

Go team by team and justify your rationale.

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Blinded by homerism...

You're talking out of your ass.

Even you were agreeing with me when we last spoke about it.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 02:21 AM
How exactly have I been owned?

Break down the team needs. Then check into the contract situations with each of the QBs. Then, you can come and tell me what is what.

Do it.

Go team by team and justify your rationale.

You go check all that shit if you want to. The fact is you listed a bunch of nobodys as proof that teams passed on Quinn due to having established QBs, and your argument was shredded to shit because of it.

peewee's lovechild
08-19-2007, 02:36 AM
You go check all that shit if you want to. The fact is you listed a bunch of nobodys as proof that teams passed on Quinn due to having established QBs, and your argument was shredded to shit because of it.

I've asked you once and I'll ask you again, exactly how was my arguement shredded??

I gave you a rundown of the teams and why they passed on him. Why can't you support your own arguement.

Your retort was "go check all that shit if you want to." Well, as brilliant as that reply sounds, it doesn't say anything.

johnsmith
08-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Although the Broncos got their asses handed to them last night, I will just throw this excuse out there as a means of justifying to myself, they were missing three starters from their offensive line.

Having said that, thank God this is the pre-season.

TheTruth
08-19-2007, 09:18 AM
No, in Preseason not a damn thing matters. Especially when you're missing 3 starting offensive lineman, and the team you are playing likes to blitz every down. The Cowboys looked damn good, but preseason means nothing and I don't take a damn thing away from that game last night.

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 10:25 AM

That sucks. I don't take much stock in wins and losses in the preseason but I hate to see injuries. I was always a big fan of Ekuban so I hate to see this happen.

BUMP
08-19-2007, 10:55 AM
No, in Preseason not a damn thing matters. Especially when you're missing 3 starting offensive lineman, and the team you are playing likes to blitz every down. The Cowboys looked damn good, but preseason means nothing and I don't take a damn thing away from that game last night.
so? yall still suck

Obstructed_View
08-19-2007, 12:19 PM
That would be great, except that the Cowboys weren't blitzing every down, it just looked that way because the offensive line was so overwhelmed.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 01:30 PM

2 of the Cowboys starting OL only played one series, and they were missing one of the best corners in the game, one of the better receivers in Glenn, and several other players.

That said, this is what the preseason means:

Having success with the 1st team in the preseason doesn't guarantee that you will have success in the regular season. BUT, if your 1st team can't make plays consistently and have success during the preseason it's almost a guarantee they won't be doing it during the regular season. The final scores don't matter, but your 1st team guys should be performing well on an individual basis. Denver looked pretty good against SF and was able to run the ball well, so yesterday's game was probably just a bump in the road. If they return to form and perform well in the next couple of PS games they may have some consistency going into the regular season. I'd be more concerned about the defense given how easily they were blown off the ball and the injury to Ekuban.

greenroom
08-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Ahh got to love the Preseason when teams like Dallas and Detroit and Miami think they are superbowl bound because they are 2-0 in the preseason.

And the Pats must be doomed this season since they are 0-2

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Ahh got to love the Preseason when teams like Dallas and Detroit and Miami think they are superbowl bound because they are 2-0 in the preseason.

Im not sure that these teams think that, although some of their fans might. If you have some documentation stating that because of a 2-0 start, the players and or coaches believe they are going to play in the Super Bowl, I would love to see it. It would make for some interesting and amusing reading.

Slinkyman
08-19-2007, 02:16 PM
fucking cowboys fans
http://www.corkinthewater.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/461-mission_accomplished.jpg
:donkey

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes because all Cowboys fans think alike. :rolleyes

Slinkyman
08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes because all Cowboys fans think alike. :rolleyes

who started the thread jackass? :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
My point still stands though. One Cowboys fan doesn't represent all of us. If you think that is the case, you are the jackass.

However, If you meant that a fan thinking a 2-0 preseason start means a super bowl appearance is stupid...then I would agree with that.

Slinkyman
08-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Jackass? that's mature.

My point still stands though. One Cowboys fan doesn't represent all of us.

so you're the exception, congrats. :toast Here's to the cowboys winning their first playoff game in 11 years.

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Not the exception, one of the many. I can't say how many because I would first need to know the exact number of fans there are in the Dallas fanbase (and to assume anyone could accurately speak for the majority is foolish), but the ones I know, which number close to 100....feel that the Cowboys have a shot...but nothing is guaranteed.

Here's to the cowboys winning their first playoff game in 11 years.

I sure as hell hope so.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Do you even read the fucking posts? Read my last post before this one you fucking retarded idiot. THE FINAL SCORE DOESNT MATTER!!! How the 1st team guys play does, because if you can't even be consistent in preseason you won't be consistent in the regular season. Good teams that lose preseason games usually have the starters play well but the backups lose the game.

Are all of you fucking people stupid?

You're seriously going to lump Dallas in with Detroit and Miami? Have you watched any of them play you stupid sack of shit?

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Are all of you fucking people stupid?...You're seriously going to lump Dallas in with Detroit and Miami? Have you watched any of them play you stupid sack of shit?

If people are stupid enough to lump all Cowboys fans as being of one mindset...then anything is possible.

Obstructed_View
08-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Sorry that we're discussing a preseason NFL football game on an NFL forum on a sports message board. I know you'd never be in here bad mouthing the Cowboys if the Broncos' first squad had looked remotely good.

The Broncos and Cowboys are both 20/1 to win the super bowl. The Dolphins are 55/1 and the Lions are 70/1, so Cowboys fans have no more right to feel any optimism than Broncos fans, or didn't until last night's game. The Broncos are usually good, and they always have an excellent running game. The Cowboys looked pretty decent against them, and had almost no penalties for two straight games to start the season, which is unheard of in recent memory. With the questions surrounding a completely new coaching staff, last night's performance is certainly worthy of discussion.

johnsmith
08-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I've taken so much shit for last night's game already today. I can only say, "it's only pre-season" so much in one day before I say fuck it and start admitting the Cowboys looked good and the Broncos didn't.

Having said that, two seasons ago the Broncos opened against Miami in the regular season and Denver got fucking trounced (Miami was terrible that year too). The Broncos went on to make it to the AFC championship and along the way handed the Patriots their first playoff in what seemed like a lifetime.

Obviously you can't tell a whole lot by the beginning of the season, let alone the pre-season. So therefore, should we Broncos fans be worried, no, of course not, but we have every right to be dissapointed.

Should Cowboys fans be optimistic, of course they do, but they are still longshots (admit it, while they certainly have a chance, odds are against them).

Having said all that, I fucking love football season so damn much and I'm so hyped up for three weeks from today.

Cowboy fan, we'll see you in the post season (maybe).

johnsmith
08-19-2007, 05:01 PM
and the Cowboys made the Broncos their bitch on both sides of the ball. The Bronco O line was so porous that Travis Henry fumbled the handoff due to sheer panic.

That is all.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot.

When you start a thread and end your thought with "that is all", then why continue responding to people?

samikeyp
08-19-2007, 05:03 PM
I've taken so much shit for last night's game already today. I can only say, "it's only pre-season" so much in one day before I say fuck it and start admitting the Cowboys looked good and the Broncos didn't.

Giving someone shit for their team's preseason loss is just stupid.

You hit it on the head.

Disappointed? ok maybe...

Worried, hell no.

StylisticS
08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Should Cowboys fans be optimistic, of course they do, but they are still longshots (admit it, while they certainly have a chance, odds are against them).

We play in the NFC. Longshots to go to the superbowl we are not. Also, it's not even week one. The odds are against everyone.

BeerIsGood!
08-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot.

When you start a thread and end your thought with "that is all", then why continue responding to people?

It was a shit post, just fucking around because I was very surprised that Denver couldn't run on the Cowboys 3-4 base. Or pass. Just to stir shit up which happened.

I think I posted earlier that Denver shouldn't be worried by the performance, but possibly by the loss of Ekuban on the D Line and Henry if his injury is worse than expected.

johnsmith
08-20-2007, 07:43 AM
It was a shit post, just fucking around because I was very surprised that Denver couldn't run on the Cowboys 3-4 base. Or pass. Just to stir shit up which happened.

I think I posted earlier that Denver shouldn't be worried by the performance, but possibly by the loss of Ekuban on the D Line and Henry if his injury is worse than expected.

I know, I was just fucking around as well.

BradLohaus
08-20-2007, 11:57 PM
And, we're going to draft McFaden with that pick, Jones has already hinted to it

So Julius Jones is almost certainly gone after this season?