PDA

View Full Version : Mourning not guaranteed a starting role on Nets

ducks
09-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Mourning not guaranteed a starting role on Nets

September 24, 2003

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- When Alonzo Mourning begins playing for the New Jersey Nets, he will not be guaranteed a spot in the starting lineup.

``We're going into training camp with the mind-set that we have four centers,'' Nets coach Byron Scott said Wednesday. ``And we're going to let these four guys fight it out. I'm not stuck on Zo being the starter.''

Dikembe Mutombo, Jason Collins and Aaron Williams also will play center for the Nets, the two-time defending Eastern Conference champions who open camp Sept. 30.

The Nets signed Mourning, a four-time All-Star, to $20 million contract in the offseason -- a risky move since Mourning missed last season because of a kidney disease. Scott has already learned not to ask too many questions about his new center's health.

``I would ask him every day, `How do you feel?''' the Nets' coach said, recalling his first meetings with Mourning earlier this month. ``Well, he didn't like that. He gave me a look that said, `I'm fine.' So now, it's not a question anymore. It's more like, `Hey, Zo, you look good.

Mourning, who has averaged 20.3 points, 9.8 rebounds and three blocks per game over his 10-year career, has played only one season in the last three because of his kidney ailment. But the Nets hope the 33-year-old is fully recovered and ready to make a solid contribution.

``We've had him working out an hour and a half every day, and he's fine. It's crazy to think that Zo could play every game,'' Scott said. ``It's an unknown factor right now. Zo's goal is to play basketball again and to win a championship. He's the biggest question mark right now -- how he'll fit in and how he'll hold up.''

Scott said the starters at the four other positions -- Kenyon Martin at power forward, Richard Jefferson at small forward, Kerry Kittles at shooting guard and Jason Kidd at point guard -- were already set.

Mourning will compete for time with Mutombo, one of his best friends. Mutombo played in a career-low 24 games last season, averaging just 5.8 points and 6.8 rebounds and undergoing thumb surgery. He saw limited action in the playoffs

``I don't know if those two guys have ever competed for playing time against each other before, so I don't know if it helps or hurts that they're buddies,'' Scott said. ``They're competing against each other for a starting spot. As best friends, that has to be tough.''

Scott is entering the final year of his contract. He didn't want to speculate on his future with the franchise, which is currently for sale.link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nets-mourning&prov=ap&type=lgns)

ducks
09-24-2003, 09:52 PM
stephen jackson should learn that..........