PDA

View Full Version : Hassan Adams to Spurs Training Camp?

Darkwaters
08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
The Tucson Citizen is reporting that former Arizona product and Nets guard Hassan Adams might be considering attending the Spurs' Training Camp in October.

Former UA player Hassan Adams is without a team or a job after being released by the New Jersey Nets in July.

Adams said he's doing fine and may soon find out whether he'll be in a camp come October. He said news could come in the next couple of weeks, adding that San Antonio is a possibility.

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/sports/60578.php

Spurs Dynasty 21
08-20-2007, 08:40 AM
hassan adams? Spurs really making the big movs this off season, really trying to secure a repeat

Darkwaters
08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
hassan adams? Spurs really making the big movs this off season, really trying to secure a repeat

The kid would be journeyman at best. Hes got a fair amount of potential (long arms, lateral quickness, ridiculously athletic) but has no jump shot to speak of, is undersized at 6'4 and is fairly inconsistent. Is it just a coincidence that we're taking in another Arizona product or what?

Regardless, if we were looking for a defensive minded undersized SG then we should have just drafed DJ Strawberry with the 58th pick. The guy has been playing great for Phoenix this summer and he actually can hit a few 3's.

The_Worlds_finest
08-20-2007, 08:54 AM
hey Dynidiot, why not mail the front office with your suggestions for potiential prospects, after reading your post and obnoxioulsy large ignorant signature, I am totally convinced you know more about the spurs and basketball then the guys upfront (CLAP CLAP CLAP)

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Wake me up when it's Hakim Warrick.

jdaveah
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I would actually really support this. Adams is freakishly athletic and could really be a big time lockdown defender if he had the system to do it. Having said that, I don't quite underrstand why we would need someone like that having signed Udoka.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Pass.

Bruno
08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Spurs training camp players weren't good at all these past years. Maybe this year, Spurs could get better players for the training camp.
Adams is an upgrade over the typical Spurs training camp invite.

A Draftexpress article ( http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2212 ) is noticing that a lot of teams lacks of roster spots. If Spurs training camp invite and Williams (if eh didn't received a guaranteed contract) suck , Spurs will be able to cut everybody and sign a player cut from another team like they did with James White last year. Players like Derrick Byars, Reyshawn Terry and Demetris Nichols could be cut.

timvp
08-20-2007, 12:55 PM
As training camp fodder, Hassan Adams would be a pretty impressive invite. He has NBA talent ... he's just too small. Doubt he'd make the team but last year there was nothing close to NBA talent in terms of training camp fodder.

:tu

medstudent
08-20-2007, 01:01 PM

whottt would argue they are. :blah

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Spurs training camp players weren't good at all these past years. Maybe this year, Spurs could get better players for the training camp.

A Draftexpress article ( http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2212 ) is noticing that a lot of teams lacks of roster spots. If Spurs training camp invite and Williams (if eh didn't received a guaranteed contract) suck , Spurs will be able to cut everybody and sign a player cut from another team like they did with James White last year. Players like Derrick Byars, Reyshawn Terry and Demetris Nichols could be cut.

I just perked up a little.

Darkwaters
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I just perked up a little.

If you could have one of those 3, which one would you prefer?

timvp
08-20-2007, 01:58 PM
If you could have one of those 3, which one would you prefer?I'd think Mr. Body would rather have V-Span over any three of those guys.

:stirpot:

Darkwaters
08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I'd think Mr. Body would rather have V-Span over any three of those guys.

:stirpot:

I'll second that.

Spanoulis has a much bigger chance than those 3 combined to be an impact player in this league.

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Demetrius Nichols. But I stopped following summer camps a while ago. Draft time I would have picked Derrick Byars, but Nichols would make the Knicks roster if there was room at the inn.

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I'll second that.

Spanoulis has a much bigger chance than those 3 combined to be an impact player in this league.

V-Span already played in the league and bombed at it. Also showed a third rate personality while doing so. No thanks.

AFBlue
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
If you could have one of those 3, which one would you prefer?

I know it's not the question you asked but....

The Spurs had a shot at all three of these players and passed on all of them to grab Marcus Williams.

Do you think the Spurs FO would change their minds about who to keep if presented with all four again, based off of 10 summer league games?

I still maintain that the Spurs sign Williams, or no rook at all.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
We're talking about practice.

lawstudent
08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
James White!

Darkwaters
08-20-2007, 03:06 PM
V-Span already played in the league and bombed at it. Also showed a third rate personality while doing so. No thanks.

I would have gladly given him a one year shot. The guy is a proven player on the highest level outside of the NBA and hes still young. I credit JVG and the Rockets ineffective system to his civilian first season.

mardigan
08-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Id rather get Pops Mensah after that Mavs cut him later this month.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Id rather get Pops Mensah after that Mavs cut him later this month.Not a horrible idea if someone else doesn't take him off waivers first -- but only if Ian stays in Europe.

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I would have gladly given him a one year shot. The guy is a proven player on the highest level outside of the NBA and hes still young. I credit JVG and the Rockets ineffective system to his civilian first season.

The Rockets were a PLAYOFF TEAM. Jeff Van Gundy is a PROVEN NBA COACH WHO KNOWS THE GAME. Vassilis Spanoulis SUCKED.

ducks
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
The Rockets were a PLAYOFF TEAM. Jeff Van Gundy is a PROVEN NBA COACH WHO KNOWS THE GAME. Vassilis Spanoulis SUCKED.
were a playoff team
that if pop coached them would have went to the wcf

timvp
08-20-2007, 10:31 PM
The Rockets were a PLAYOFF TEAM. Jeff Van Gundy is a PROVEN NBA COACH WHO KNOWS THE GAME. Vassilis Spanoulis SUCKED.Van Gundy has no history of successfully coaching a European player.

And also remember, Fabricio Oberto was once cut by Van Gundy in training camp. He didn't even make the team.

I guess the Spurs made a mistake in giving Oberto a second chance if we are going to base our international scouting on what Van Gundy thinks.

genghisrex
08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Jeff Van Gundy is a PROVEN NBA COACH WHO KNOWS THE GAME.
Van Gundy proved himself out of a job.

SpursFanMusician
08-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah I agree with others who mentioned Pops Mensa-Bonsu. We need a glue guy who's willing to do all the dirty work and he excels at that. He's also an above average athlete and has the potential to be a multi-position defender in the mold of a Josh Howard type of player.

TheAuthority
08-21-2007, 03:56 AM
I think you guys speak on Hassan Adams, just like a lot of other players, ignorantly. I was VERY surprised when I heard that the Nets weren't going to sign Adams. Every time I would see him get in a game for the Nets, he did something well. He's a smart player, he makes basketball plays... he understands the game. This guy is an Oberto type on offense... in that to see him, you wouldn't think he has much offensive prowess, but he is always in the right place at the right time on the court to score. He can finish inside really well. He has good timing on his cuts and gets a lot of layups. He's powerfully built. He doesn't have 3 point range, but his jump shot is not THAT bad.

When I first heard that the Nets weren't going to resign him, as I said, I was very surprised. The first thing I thought of was that "I hope the spurs bring him into camp". Unlike that scrub Udoka, Adams isn't 30 years old with maxed out potential. He's undersized, sure, but he plays a lot bigger than 6'4". He plays more like 6'7" or 6'8". I have no idea why the Nets didn't give the guy more run last year. In my opinion, he was better than Eddie House and Antoine Wright. The only knock I can bring to his game, is that he doesn't bring it on defense every night, and sometimes can act disinterested on that side of the floor.

Solid D
08-21-2007, 08:04 AM
I think you guys speak on Hassan Adams, just like a lot of other players, ignorantly. I was VERY surprised when I heard that the Nets weren't going to sign Adams. Every time I would see him get in a game for the Nets, he did something well. He's a smart player, he makes basketball plays... he understands the game. This guy is an Oberto type on offense... in that to see him, you wouldn't think he has much offensive prowess, but he is always in the right place at the right time on the court to score. He can finish inside really well. He has good timing on his cuts and gets a lot of layups. He's powerfully built. He doesn't have 3 point range, but his jump shot is not THAT bad.

When I first heard that the Nets weren't going to resign him, as I said, I was very surprised. The first thing I thought of was that "I hope the spurs bring him into camp". Unlike that scrub Udoka, Adams isn't 30 years old with maxed out potential. He's undersized, sure, but he plays a lot bigger than 6'4". He plays more like 6'7" or 6'8". I have no idea why the Nets didn't give the guy more run last year. In my opinion, he was better than Eddie House and Antoine Wright. The only knock I can bring to his game, is that he doesn't bring it on defense every night, and sometimes can act disinterested on that side of the floor.

You speak well of Adams but I didn't see anything in your comments specifically addressing his defensive abilities. You did say generally that he plays more like 6'7" or 6'8" and he makes plays. He would need to be better than average as a defensive player to make it with the Spurs as a 6'4" guard. Since the 2 and 3 are interchangeable positions, smaller wing players have to make up for their size with excellent defense, especially since mis-matches are so easily exploited by screen/rolls and post ups.

How would you assess his defense?

Darkwaters
08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Adams plays LIKE a forward but has the body of a big PG or small 2 guard. Should be interesting.

spursjustice
08-28-2007, 06:10 PM

I don't know much about this guy. I am assuming he can rebound cos he plays like a forward. Can he handle the ball? How are his passing skills?

SenorSpur
08-28-2007, 06:17 PM

According to RealGM, Reyshawn Terry just signed with a Euro club - as of yesterday.

SenorSpur
08-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Id rather get Pops Mensah after that Mavs cut him later this month.

Same here. Now that the Mavs signed Brandon Bass, there doesn't appear to be much chance that they'll hold onto Pops. I too would love to see the Spurs pick him up. He's not much of an offensive players and is still raw as hell. However, he's a tough defender, good shot-blocker and superb rebounder from the 4 spot. As much as I'd love to see the Spurs pick him up, however with Ian on board, I don't see that happening.

TheAuthority
09-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Oh, he can play defense... when he wants to. The only question I have on defense is desire. Otherwise, I think he could be a lockdown type defender. He has really, really good athletic ability. Think a stronger stockier version of James White. That is basically what he is. I'm not sure he was asked to fill that role of defensive stopper in New Jersey, or if he had a coaching staff to light a fire underneath him. He doesn't have great floor vision, but it's adequate. As the other poster said, he plays more like a small forward. His 6'4" listing is really deceptive.

Doesn't really look like they're gonna sign him now. Sucks, man. I was looking forward to seeing him in a Spurs uni.

TxJudsonRocketTx
09-06-2007, 06:39 AM
I think he may be another Beno, not because of how he plays or anything but he was at the nightclub I work at this past Saturday and and had his woman come up to ask if the DJ could give a shoutout to Hassan Adams of the Nets, she didn't tip or anything so I asked "Didn't he get dropped by the Nets?"

mountainballer
09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Adams might have had a chance if Spurs didn't sign Udoka. but now they have 5 wings, not counting M. Williams (any news about him?).
whatever he could provide, it is well covered with the current roster.
if the Spurs add a player, it would be either a combo guard (like Garcia) or a combo forward. (Jumaine Jones anyone?)

Darkwaters
09-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Adams might have had a chance if Spurs didn't sign Udoka. but now they have 5 wings, not counting M. Williams (any news about him?).
whatever he could provide, it is well covered with the current roster.
if the Spurs add a player, it would be either a combo guard (like Garcia) or a combo forward. (Jumaine Jones anyone?)

Marcus Williams' underwhelming performance in SL leads a lot of us to hope that the Spurs will seek to stash him overseas for at least a season to see if he improves. If that is the case then somebody else could be brought in to fill that vacant roster spot.

I don't think you sign a guy like Alex Garcia and not trade Beno Udrih. Hence, I don't think Garcia needs to even be mentioned in the conversation of taking Williams' roster spot because he instead would take Beno's seat.

It does not look like the Spurs really need any bigs at the moment. Duncan, Oberto and Bonner are here for at least the next 3 seasons as ready-made contributors and Mahinmi will be a project for at least two seasons. Splitter will come in next season leaving one roster spot for a big in 08-09. I see the Spurs going the "savvy old vet" route with that player rather than the "young developing big" direction. With Splitter and Mahinmi being very youthful and Bonner being on the young side of 30 (unusual for this team) it doesn't seem that bigs are as pressing of a demand.

The one position that is downright famished for the future is our wings. Next season we look solid: Ginobili, Finley, Bowen, Barry and Udoka are ready-made contributors. But all of them are at least 30 and only two of them are guaranteed to be back in 08-09 (Ginobili and Udoka). It would seem that a project wing player might be in our best interest going forward. If Finley, Bowen and Barry all decide to walk next season (possible but not likely that they ALL walk) then we would at least then have 3 integrated wings in our system (Ginobili, Udoka, Project wing player X). Marcus Williams does not look like he would be ready to contribute within a year at the moment (and he might be on the Ian Mahinmi two year plus plan even) so I would prefer to bring in another player. A guy like Hassan Adams that has two years of NBA experience already would seem to be a quality signing because he would be more likely to play a role within a shorter amount of time. All and all, a wing seems the best solution.

Now, all that being said, if the Spurs are absolutely fascinated with a player like Pops Mensah-Bonsu and think that they could (and would) actually use him then I say go for it. But if you're looking at positional needs alone then go with the wing.

mountainballer
09-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Now, all that being said, if the Spurs are absolutely fascinated with a player like Pops Mensah-Bonsu and think that they could (and would) actually use him then I say go for it. But if you're looking at positional needs alone then go with the wing.

agree that the long term needs are at the wing.
but I don't think Adams is good enough to get one of the 4 wing spots of the regular rotation.
as a roster filler he would be ok, if we needed another wing, but considering we already have 5 wings, so whoever is added, will be in the James White role, as a pure project. and for this spot I would sign a player with more upside than Adams. (yes, even M.Williams)

Mensah-Bonsu has signed in Italy (Treviso) last week.