PDA

View Full Version : Slovenian posters-Union Olimpija

Kamnik
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Today i heard also Sasa Doncic is signing.

If Dragic is there.....

They just might have a decent euroleague team.

Dragic
Doncic
Milic
Zupan
Jeff Graves

I am wondering about 2 things if any of you know some info.

First how good coach Becirovic is? He did a great job in Helios if you ask me but i dont know him that well.

Secondly.... the new american center is ariving next week. Jeff Graves-he is supposed to be a beast. (at least according to his weight)

How good could he be? Any good info on him?

SlovenianGuy
08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
There's also a rumour that Jagodnik might join them as well.

I don't know what to say about Becirovic, except that (according to recent team history) he probably won't be with Olimpija in the 2008/2009 season, no matter how good or bad he will be.

angel_luv
08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Secondly.... the new american center is ariving next week. Jeff Graves-he is supposed to be a beast. (at least according to his weight)

How good could he be? Any good info on him?

I have never heard of Jeff Graves. Where in the States does he come from? How did he end up in Slovenia? ( Lucky him! :) )

zwbgr
08-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Dragič, Taylor and Hukić will be next to sign for Olimpija, so the lineup will be this:

Dragič/Bailey
Bakič/Taylor/Ožbolt(Inj till Jan '08)
Hukič/Dončič
Milič/Zupan
Graves/Begič

Another wing player (probably american) will be added to squad

They made impressive job selecting players so far if you have in mind that they have only 1.5 mil € for all players. Again I think twice less than second worse (in financial meaning) Euroleague team, and I guarantee you, that Olimpija won't be the worse team in Euroleague.

Regarding Bečirovič, except last year championship he didn't prove nothing so far. But if he'll coach as good as he's selected team than there is bright future for this team next season. Wont make TOP16 in Euroleague probably since teams in group A are very strong but i think they are legitimate candidates for TOP4 in Adriatic League

Graves - he played for Kansas University few years ago and was very good, but latter coach was replaced and he didn't go along very good with him. He had carr accident and became very fat and was thrown out of team. Latter he lost a lot of weight and spend few years in minor American leagues, he played in NBDL last year (stats: http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/jeff_graves/index.html), later signed in Turkey for Galatasaray and was one of the best man here and lead them to semifinal of Turkish league. He played for LAL summer league team this year (stats: http://www.nba.com/summerleague2007/players/index.jsp?player=jeff_graves ). And now he's in Ljubljana, reportedly signed for 200k €. He has a history of injures so I hope he'll manage to play all year and also hope that he has better work habits than in past

Pero
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Where did you get that they're going to sign? Would be nice, but looks like a bit like a pipe dream to me.

zwbgr
08-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Who? Graves? Graves already signed. Hukič and Taylor are next. There is still some issues with Dragič (his agent actually), but i think it will be solved soon. Read some papers or go to aba.troglav.net and look for Union Olimpija forum.

angel_luv
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I have friends ( they are brothers) who are playing International ball- one in Belgium and another who will either play in France or the Czech Republic.

I told them both I want them to sign with the Spurs; but having them on a Slovenian team would be another excellent option. :)

SlovenianGuy
08-21-2007, 05:54 AM
The newest member of Union Olimpija is Ronell Taylor, twin brother of Washington Wizzards' forward Donell Taylor.

In the last season Ronell played together with Jeff Graves for Idaho Senators (NBDL). He averaged 14 PPG, 6 RPG and 3.6 APG.

Olimpija is his second team from Ljubljana, since he has played for Slovan in the 2005/2006 season.

velik_m
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
It seems 5mio euros of debt can buy you a lot of players. Must be nice to run business like that: you buy and then don't pay.

Kamnik
08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
It seems 5mio euros of debt can buy you a lot of players. Must be nice to run business like that: you buy and then don't pay.

basicly.... what they pay their players is pocket change in basketball world

but these players get Euroleague and strong Adriatic league play time where they can improve and get noticed by stronger way wealthier clubs

if Olimpija drops out of Euroleague they are screwed long term (well they already are with that debt)

Kamnik
08-22-2007, 08:30 AM
more good news

http://sportal.siol.net/default.asp?article_id=10041010708221137000

velik_m
08-22-2007, 08:56 AM
basicly.... what they pay their players is pocket change in basketball world

basically... they don't pay their players.