PDA

View Full Version : Is every one please with the current Spurs Roster?

carib
08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
The current roster has solid depth in every position, and the key thing is we have some money left to spend in the future.

I think the team got rid of 97.7% of the dead weight.

Mr. Body
08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I could only be happy if Spanoulis was half as good as he was overhyped to be, and then came to fight Parker (Finals MVP) for the starting spot.

Failing that, hardly has 97.7% of the dead weight been thrown off. Udrih is a far fatter, deader piece than that. Barry is pretty solid dead weight, too, especially with the Udoka signing. Not that Barry is bad or intemperate, but that he makes way too much money and won't get any PT.

Butler wasn't too much of dead weight, since he wasn't making a lot of money. James White I could give or take. I really don't care. Since we had to burn up Scola to dump the very minor salary of Jackie Butler, that's like burning a ton of incense to blot out a smidgen of dog crap - still an unbelievable trade.

Drafting Marcus Williams was a poor pick. Especially with Dominic McGuire and others still there.

The roster is fine. Booting Udrih would make my month, but that's not going to happen.

SenorSpur
08-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I could only be happy if Spanoulis was half as good as he was overhyped to be, and then came to fight Parker (Finals MVP) for the starting spot.

Failing that, hardly has 97.7% of the dead weight been thrown off. Udrih is a far fatter, deader piece than that. Barry is pretty solid dead weight, too, especially with the Udoka signing. Not that Barry is bad or intemperate, but that he makes way too much money and won't get any PT.

Butler wasn't too much of dead weight, since he wasn't making a lot of money. James White I could give or take. I really don't care. Since we had to burn up Scola to dump the very minor salary of Jackie Butler, that's like burning a ton of incense to blot out a smidgen of dog crap - still an unbelievable trade.

Drafting Marcus Williams was a poor pick. Especially with Dominic McGuire and others still there.

The roster is fine. Booting Udrih would make my month, but that's not going to happen.

The Udoka signing was a good, smart acquisition. Definitely makes up for the failed James White experiment. Hopefully, Udoka will integrate quickly enough to earn minutes and eventually pass up Barry in the rotation. Speaking of Barry, perhaps the Spurs are resigned in keeping him on the roster and taking advantage of that expiring contract of his during the next offseason.

Beno is trash. Only problem is that he seems to be the only one who doesn't know that he needs to improve.

As for a backup PG, I don't see the fascination with the oft-injured Troy Hudson, I would have much rather they pursued and reacquired Jason Hart. IMO, he would have been a perfect 3rd PG. But he is no longer available.

Personally, I'd like to see both Beno+Barry packaged for another backup PG and/or future draft pick. Barry's expensive salary alone would bring in a midrange type of player. I simply don't think the Spurs are willing to bring another mid-salaried player. My bet is he stays around for the entire season.

I don't see Marcus Williams making the squad - which means another wasted 2nd round draft pick. There certainly were better options at the slot, but I digress.

Other than that, the team is in great shape both talent-wise and financially. They should be poised for a repeat. From that standpoint and if nothing else goes down, I'm OK if they roll into the season with the roster in place now.

MajorMike
08-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes, so solly.

Switchman
08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
IMO it's hard to know where we stand. PHX series should have gone 7 and we don't even know what would of happened against Dallas.

Beno needs to go.

Barry's play does not justify his huge salary.

I doubt they repeat. Depends how much the "keeping the team together" aspect factors in.

mikejones99
08-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Tough crowd, some morons will never be happy with the roster. Barry salary is not huge.

YODA
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Whats with the Barry haters, i cant say he has been great, but he has been solid. Dont you all recall he was starting till he got hurt at end of season? He doesnt put up big numbers, but neiter does Horry and what does he make a year? I like Barry's poise and passing abilities and always surprised how so many want him gone. OF course we need to get younger, but it looks like it wont me till next year. I also think something might happen bewfore the trade deadline for people like Beno, Barry. Who knows.
Guys been a pretty solid backup and I cant give him grief for that.3

AFBlue
08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Barry's value depends on the stability of the other wing role players on this team.

Finley turned it on in the latter half of the season last year and provides more defense/size at the position than Barry. BUT, he shot VERY poorly at the outset of the season and that streakiness returned in the playoffs. Who is to say that he's more reliable than Barry?

And then there is everyone's newly crowned Bowen-replacement. Yes, Udoka is an upgrade over Barry on defense. But, he hasn't held one practice with the current team and hasn't spent one day in the current system. Oh yeah, and there's the llittle question about whether he can shoot having just posted the best numbers of his career (NBA or otherwise) with just over 40% from 3pt land at 30yrs old. Hopefully he catches on quick and those numbers weren't just a fluke....but I wouldn't count on Barry being shisted right away.

Bottom Line: I'm not saying that come Feb, Barry won't be shed like the winter coat in order to save a couple million bucks....but as of right now, he's still worth quite a bit to this franchise.

Spurs Brazil
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd say yes after we waive/trade Beno

Rynospursfan
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
They just need to move Beno and I am 100% happy with the roster. But he is just a 3rd string pg on the end of a rookie contact so its not a big deal that they have to move him now.

I too appriciate the contributions of Bones. I think he should stick around until his contract expires.

I really like that for the first time the Spurs have a very legitimate chance to repeat.

SenorSpur
08-20-2007, 01:47 PM
No one is intimating that Barry is trash. Quite the contrary. Highest basketball IQ on the team. Best passer. Not a fantastic defender. Occasionally passes on open shots. But still adds value. If Udoka acclimates well, he should steal minutes from Barry and Finley, moreso than Bowen.

urunobili
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
so so... i think if we get V-Spunk to play with us and earn secong PG status and ship away Beno would be a smooth off season and maybe sign in a cheap free agent last day like Ely or similar...

carib
08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRoster?statsId=24

I am loving it

AFBlue
08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Spurs still have their big 3 and as long as that's the case, I'll never be disappointed.

Having said that, I think there are a few areas that could be improved....

As most have mentioned, Beno is still on this team and Vaughn is the #2 guy. While it's not a bad situation compared to the rest of the league (considering who the #1 guy is), it IS one of the weaker positions on the team.

The other position of real concern, IMO, is the center position. Oberto is the ultimate role player, but he won't/can't average 30MPG. The other guy (Elson) is garbage, and the Spurs dealt away their young insurance policy (Butler) to re-sign a guy that duplicates a talent already on this team (Bonner).

I actually think the depth at the wing position is a plus, which is why the Spurs could afford to flip Barry to address one of those more pertinent needs if Udoka does indeed pan out and if Fin shows consistency.

Bottom Line: As long as the Big 3 are around, I'm content. I'd be exstatic if the Spurs could address their weaknesses at the 1 & 5.

ploto
08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
It is the 12 man line-up from last year plus Udoka so far.

mikejones99
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Finley made about 20 million last year and the big 3 made alot. Barry and Finley played about the same most of the year.

Solid D
08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/teamRoster?statsId=24

I am loving it

Fox needs to catch up. Splitter and Spanoulis are all set for Europe in 2007-08.

AFBlue
08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
It is the 12 man line-up from last year plus Udoka so far.

Yep...you got it.

So, same potential issues as last year but with added depth at the wing, because Udoka is more likely to get regular PT than Eric Williams was last year.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Derrick McKey is not walking through that door. Stephen Jackson is not walking through that door. Hedo Turkoglu is not walking through that door.
It is the 12 man NBA championship line-up from last year plus Udoka so far.Corrected for truth.

phxspurfan
08-20-2007, 03:18 PM
I like how the front-page ESPN NBA article refers to Udoka as Portland's "Sniper". That alone makes me satisfied with this offseason.

Whisky Dog
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
As long as the team plays it like last year and stays healthy then I see no reason why they wouldn't be fresh come playoffs and the most precise, deadly team in the league.

mountainballer
08-20-2007, 03:54 PM
If Udoka acclimates well, he should steal minutes from Barry and Finley, moreso than Bowen.

Spurs play 5 wings rotation? that would be the first time since I can remember.
so Pop changes the system he played forever, just to get Udoka into the rotation?

it's either Manu-Bowen-Finley-Udoka or Manu-Bowen-Finley-Barry.
there is nothing in between. the 5th wing player has always been kind of injury reserve, if the others are healthy, he get's 5-10 minutes.
I'm also sure Udoka will take the place of Barry in the rotation. Barry will probably take the spot of Beno, otherwise I can't see him get any minutes.
so or so, the salary of 5.5 million for 5th wing or 3rd PG is to high, considering it's the kind of money that would allow to aquire a useful combo forward, or a better back up PG, or a better center.

AFBlue
08-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I like how the front-page ESPN NBA article refers to Udoka as Portland's "Sniper". That alone makes me satisfied with this offseason.

This is what worries me. He shot just over 40% on the season last year and wasn't known as a gunner even in his NBADL days.

I HOPE that last year's numbers were not a fluke. Jacque Vaughn came in and improved his jumpshot, so there is definitely hope that Udoka won't have been just a one-year quasi-gunner.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Udoka shot 31% from the arc his final year in the D-League.

Amazing what a quality post scorer can do for a perimeter player's three-point percentage.

If only we had one of those guys on the Spurs....

ducks
08-20-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah spurs traded that player away in scola

E20
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Udoka shot 31% from the arc his final year in the D-League.

Amazing what a quality post scorer can do for a perimeter player's three-point percentage.

If only we had one of those guys on the Spurs....
I think we do. Tim Duncan, you should follow more of the Spurs than the Hawks, Chump. I mean you do you live in Texas.

ChumpDumper
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
yeah spurs traded that player away in scolaNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

E20
08-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
Oh I guess you mean Fransisco Elson then.

remingtonbo2001
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I think Jacque Vaughn's movement up the depth charts is due to his stellar defensive play during the playoffs. Why isn't that enough until 08'. Do we really need Beno? Jacque plays great defense in terms of his given ability. Yes, there are issues to be resolved from the offensive end. But if placed around the right guys, Jacque runs the offense fairly well. Really, just bring the ball up and give it to Timmy and let the offense run through him. When Vaughn is in the game, I think we should move to half-court/post-up offense. Maybe that's already being done. I wouldn't want to run a motion offense with Vaughn at the point. I think by having Tim in the game at the same time would essentially void out Vaughn's offensive liability. Although, I though by the time the playoffs came about, Vaughn was beginning to catch on to the offensive scheme. Now, if Tony were to be out a couple games, I have Barry or Manu run the point, perferably Manu. From what I've seen, Vaughn is a premium option at backup point guard. What I find that fans want, is someone also capable of starting. Some want a stater to come here for 2nd string money and 2nd string playing time. Finley was rarity and truely a blessing, that doesn't happen too often. We have an incredible team,yet fans grow increasingly paraniod. I have no idea why. If the Spurs remain healthy, we're good to go, simple as that. Doesn't matter who we play. A healthy Spurs club cannot be beat.

smeagol
08-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Very pleased because Manu is still there

ggoose25
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Very pleased because Manu is still there

If Manu the Spurs, would you stop being a Spurs fan?

phxspurfan
08-20-2007, 05:49 PM
If Manu ____ the Spurs, would you stop being a Spurs fan?

Fill in the blank:

a) said he wanted to be traded from and then said things were ok and then silently regretted signing with
b) licked
c) firebombed
d) clucked like a chicken at

ggoose25
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
my bad :lol

If Manu LEFT the Spurs, would the Argentinans abandon the Spurs?

phxspurfan
08-20-2007, 06:00 PM
my bad :lol

If Manu LEFT the Spurs, would the Argentinans abandon the Spurs?

np, I like to rag on people for making mistakes I make all the time :]

pad300
08-20-2007, 06:02 PM
what does he make, 5.5 mil ? that's like the 4th highest salary on the team, for a guy who hardly ever plays...
I just wish people would learn to look at the stats before making idiots of themselves...
http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAS5D.HTM

% of minutes played - 41

In other words, he averaged 19.7 mpg.

He played the 6th most minutes on the team (ahead of him Duncan, Parker, Bowen, Finley, Manu). Not to mention that by Roland Rating and net production, he was close to being the 4th best guy on the team. His PER also looks pretty good - http://www.82games.com/0607/06SAS5C.HTM. He was a net positive at both SG and SF...What do you want from a 6th man.

Switchman
08-20-2007, 06:04 PM
The 3 pt skill he displayed so vividly in Seattle.

IMO, he is too hot and cold for being the 4th highest paid.

He seems like a great guy...he seems like he is the guy that keeps the team laughing. He has good hustle, good def sometimes, good passing. But where are the killer 3's :(

carib
08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
There are no more talks about the current roster, so it's now a wait and see game until the season starts.

Kobulingam
08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
The current roster has solid depth in every position, and the key thing is we have some money left to spend in the future.

I think the team got rid of 97.7% of the dead weight.

{Beno, Brent} = DEAD FU*KING WEIGHT (Brent especially in playoffs).

barbacoataco
08-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Barry is a valuable player, but to me it seems like he plays better when he gets more minutes. The problem is that with Finley, Ginobili, Bowen and Udoka, how many minutes will he get? If he could come in cold and hit the big 3-pt at a high percentage, like Steve Kerr, he would be more valuable. I'm all for keeping the roster like it is now, but I'm still not sure how Udoka gets into the 12 man roster unless someone moves.

Reckless28
08-24-2007, 12:02 AM
i think they need another slasher. other than manu and tony, i don't see anybody else capable of finishing at the basket. when tim goes out of the game it becomes more of a one on five offensive attack. and manu usually wins. but to have someone else who can create his own shot other than manu or tony sure would help. also another post up player. so when tim does go out, manu doesn't have to score all by himself. it's a good thing manu is still here. whew.

spursjustice
08-24-2007, 12:14 AM
This is what worries me. He shot just over 40% on the season last year and wasn't known as a gunner even in his NBADL days.

I HOPE that last year's numbers were not a fluke. Jacque Vaughn came in and improved his jumpshot, so there is definitely hope that Udoka won't have been just a one-year quasi-gunner.

We still have Chip Engelland :) A few adjustments and Ime will be a 43% 3pt gunner...

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-24-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm pretty much accepted that we are going to start the season with the current roster in tact. I think both Beno and Barry will still be with the Spurs, but I'm not sure how Mahinmi fits into the picture.