PDA

View Full Version : Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case

O-Factor
08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983121

RICHMOND, Va. -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick accepted a plea deal Monday to avoid additional federal charges in a dogfighting case and now faces a likely lengthy prison sentence.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick has asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding charges pending against him," Billy Martin, one of Vick's attorneys, said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter.

The terms of Vick's prison term are not yet known.

All three of Vick's co-defendants have reached plea deals in the case. Vick had been facing a Nov. 26 trial date.

Vick's last two co-defendants pleaded guilty Friday and said he bankrolled gambling on dogfights at the quarterback's property in rural Surry County, not far from his hometown of Newport News. One said Vick helped drown or hang dogs that didn't do well.

Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach entered plea agreements and agreed to testify against Vick. Tony Taylor of Hampton struck a similar deal last month.

The gambling allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The NFL has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation.

Peace, Phillips and Taylor pleaded guilty to the same charges facing Vick: conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Their sentencings are set for November and December.

Taco
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.ticket760.com/cc-common/mlib/694/08/694_1187376274.bmp

duncan228
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
He didn't have much of a choice after all 3 of his guys rolled over on him.

MajorMike
08-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Funny that his attys released this statement. They just had the US Atty on Fox News, and he said "Contrary to what is being reported, this office has received to plea agreement."

What's even better is that if and when he pleads guilty, Falcons owner Blank can void his contract under conduct rules. Vick told Blank and the Commish point blank that he had nothing to do with it. He signs a paper saying he did, the he lied to the League.

mikejones99
08-20-2007, 01:58 PM
He will start for the Raides next year after they trade the first pick for him. :greedy

mikejones99
08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
He will start for the Raiders next year after they trade the first pick for him. :greedy

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
If Vick spends a year in jail and then is suspended for even one year, he won't be playing football until at least 2010.

Michael Vick is a despicable human being. I'd be happy if I never had to hear anything about him again.

Fillmoe
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
im pretty sure the 1 year suspension would be effective immediately, meaning once he spends his year in jail he would be eligible to play football again.

Marklar MM
08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
im pretty sure the 1 year suspension would be effective immediately, meaning once he spends his year in jail he would be eligible to play football again.

The league will suspend him after he gets out.

Fillmoe
08-20-2007, 02:05 PM
thats kind of wack..... now i know why they call it the NO FUN LEAGUE

E20
08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
If Dave Chappelle still had his show there would be a a sketch about him.

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2007, 02:18 PM

That would be a ridiculous decision; Mike Vick certainly couldn't play in the NFL while imprisoned -- the Commissioner isn't going to have his punishment run concurrently with the government's punishment because that would provide no NFL punishment. The purpose of the NFL punishment is to make an example for others about what will and won't be tolerated from NFL players; if the league suspends Vick during his imprisonment, that lesson is completely lost.

In any event, various reports that I've heard over the weekend (particularly Peter King on Sunday Night Football) have made clear that the league intends to mete out its own punishment after the prison time expires. As such, Vick's gone for the length of his incarceration and for at least another year after that.

mikejones99
08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Packman is now an angel compared to vick. 130 million to jail.

duncan228
08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
He doesn't deserve to ever play again.
I get the "paid his price" with jail time and a league suspension, but he's an animal.
He shouldn't ever be allowed to play professionally again.
He's an embarrassment. A cruel, cold hearted embarrassment.

BacktoBasics
08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
So what now for all the assholes here that think he was an innocent bystander. I can hear it now...

"Vick didn't do anything but rather risk a longer sentence he took the plea but he still didn't do it"

mikejones99
08-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Clinton portis had some intelligent comments on the Vick situation. What the big deal about Mike Vick fighting his dogs. I know some people on some back roads in Mississippi where they have dog fights all the time.

DarkReign
08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
"Vick didn't do anything but rather risk a longer sentence he took the plea but he still didn't do it"

Which is exactly the only thing Vick could salvage.

This is the problem with plea bargains. No discovery. Lots of doubters.

Findog
08-20-2007, 03:20 PM
He doesn't deserve to ever play again.
I get the "paid his price" with jail time and a league suspension, but he's an animal.
He shouldn't ever be allowed to play professionally again.
He's an embarrassment. A cruel, cold hearted embarrassment.

Are you talking about Michael Vick or Leonard Little? Or Ray Lewis? I'm so confused.

Whisky Dog
08-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I think a NFL suspension of 1 1/2 to 2 seasons after he gets out of jail should be good enough. If he can somehow only do 1 year I think he could still get a decent shot somewhere. If he gets 3 to 5 years he's done in the NFL.

Does someone here know if you get time reduced for good behavior in the federal system? I don't think that's the case but I don't know for sure. I was thinking in the federal system you end up doing a big percentage of your time regardless.

K-State Spur
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM

ZERO, ZILCH, NO chance that happens. He won't be eligible to return for at least 2 years (if not more).

On top of that, by then he will be 30, and his best (some might say "only") asset - his legs - will be on the downside. So even if a team wants to walk the moral high wire for wins, it's pretty debatable as to how many wins he can get you.

Plus, any owner that signs him would have to consider that any of his dog-owning attendance could not renew their tickets. For most teams - that's a fairly large number of people.

I'd say it's at least 50/50 that he never plays another down in the NFL.

monosylab1k
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Are you talking about Michael Vick or Leonard Little? Or Ray Lewis? I'm so confused.
the one that killed dogs, not something insignificant like humans.

Whisky Dog
08-20-2007, 03:33 PM
The majority of humans are assholes and deserve to die.

peewee's lovechild
08-20-2007, 04:21 PM

What the hell are you talking about??
What does "fun" have to do with any of this??

NO FUN LEAGUE refers to the league not letting players celebrate.
Vick killed dogs.

There is no correlation between the two.

That was a stupid statement.

IceColdBrewski
08-20-2007, 04:33 PM
thats kind of wack.....

I wonder what the countless killed and tortured dogs would have to say about that.

Slinkyman
08-20-2007, 04:38 PM

:lol so the NFL was prosecuting vick? Didn't know they could send players to jail! :lol moron.

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2007, 05:02 PM
The Ray Lewis thing is a red herring to me in this argument. Lewis pled to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice, not murder -- the government never did prove a murder case against him. Lewis was allowed to plead to the obstruction charge likely because there was no evidence of his involvement in the homicide.

In any event, from the NFL's standpoint, because Lewis was arrested after the Super Bowl in January 2000 and tried before the 2000 NFL season started (and before camps opened), there was no reason for discipline from the league unless the league decided to punish all players convicted of misdemeanor charges. Even Goodell hasn't gone that far.

The Leonard Little situation is a bit more apt, but I think only if you're going to argue that the justice system sometimes places too little value on human life. Little served only 90 days of jail time and 4 years probation for involuntary manslaughter that was subsequently expunged from his record. There is a fundamental difference between a conviction for an act deemed to have been involuntary and a conviction for intentional felonious conduct; that dividing line provides the justification for the difference between the penalty that Little received from the NFL and the penalty that Vick is likely going to receive.

Findog
08-20-2007, 05:04 PM
The Ray Lewis thing is a red herring to me in this argument. Lewis pled to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice, not murder -- the government never did prove a murder case against him. Lewis was allowed to plead to the obstruction charge likely because there was no evidence of his involvement in the homicide.

In any event, from the NFL's standpoint, because Lewis was arrested after the Super Bowl in January 2000 and tried before the 2000 NFL season started (and before camps opened), there was no reason for discipline from the league unless the league decided to punish all players convicted of misdemeanor charges. Even Goodell hasn't gone that far.

The Leonard Little situation is a bit more apt, but I think only if you're going to argue that the justice system sometimes places too little value on human life. Little served only 90 days of jail time and 4 years probation for involuntary manslaughter that was subsequently expunged from his record. There is a fundamental difference between a conviction for an act deemed to have been involuntary and a conviction for intentional felonious conduct; that dividing line provides the justification for the difference between the penalty that Little received from the NFL and the penalty that Vick is likely going to receive.

And OJ was found not guilty of murder. Ray Lewis was lookout while his buddies murdered a guy.

FromWayDowntown
08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
And OJ was found not guilty of murder. Ray Lewis was lookout while his buddies murdered a guy.

Interestingly, Lewis' buddies weren't convicted of murder, either. So, you want Lewis to pay a heavier penalty than Vick will undoubtedly face because he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge involving his knowledge of a crime that you think his buddies committed?

Findog
08-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Interestingly, Lewis' buddies weren't convicted of murder, either. So, you want Lewis to pay a heavier penalty than Vick will undoubtedly face because he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge involving his knowledge of a crime that you think his buddies committed?

Yeah, I do, he's a scumbag. Prosecutors will often go for the lesser charge that is a slam dunk than go through the expense and uncertainty of a trial for a bigger charge. By the standards of the legal system, OJ is an innocent man, and Ray Lewis is only guilty of a misdemeanor.

I'm not defending Vick or his reprehensible actions, but there's something wrong when Leonard Little and Ray Lewis can take the field after being responsible for the death of another human being. I suppose Vick's biggest mistake was killing animals instead of people.

I am sure there is some sort of clause in the CBA to prevent Goodell from retroactively punishing Lewis or Little, but it sure does make the sanctimonious moralizing over Vick all the more nauseating.

monosylab1k
08-20-2007, 05:19 PM
I suppose Vick's biggest mistake was killing animals instead of people.
it's a fucking shame that people have grown this desensitized to human suffering. I guarantee you that the public outcry would be about 10x less if Vick had raped somebody.

edit: evidently someone already made this comment http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75307 no shock that the guy who said the truth here caught a bunch of hell for saying it.

Findog
08-20-2007, 05:30 PM
it's a fucking shame that people have grown this desensitized to human suffering. I guarantee you that the public outcry would be about 10x less if Vick had raped somebody.

edit: evidently someone already made this comment http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75307 no shock that the guy who said the truth here caught a bunch of hell for saying it.

The other thing to take into account is that PETA raised holy hell over it and have the proven ability to turn this into a media spectacle. They're just pimping Vick's celebrity. Where were they when Qyntel Woods ("Who?" says the average American) did the exact same goddamned thing?

In a way I feel sorry for Vick. It probably never crossed his mind that this was illegal, or even wrong. Take a not too bright guy, have him win the genetic lottery at birth, but make sure he doesn't get an education. Then, from the age of 12 years old onward, nobody, not his parents, teachers, coaches, administrators, members of his entourage living off his largesse, nobody, ever tells him no. The whole thing is disgusting, not just what Vick did.

K-State Spur
08-20-2007, 05:34 PM

10x less? Based on what?

Given that a bunch of Lacross players being accused of rape generated significantly more media buzz and public outcry than Quyntel Woods' dogfighting, I don't know that this is an accurate statement.

Another thing to remember about a rape case is that a large percentage of the time - rape is a he said/she said ordeal. And in the case of a guy like Kobe, the 'she said' had numerous holes almost from the get-go.

That said, I feel comfortable saying that murderers, rapists, AND dogfighters all represent the absolute scum of the earth. I see no need to rank any worse than the other.

K-State Spur
08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
It probably never crossed his mind that this was illegal, or even wrong.

Well, not to go to much PETA myself. But if their squeals and cries of pain didn't hint to him that something might be wrong about dogfighting and killing dogs with your own bare hands - then the man was born without a heart.

Findog
08-20-2007, 05:41 PM
10x less? Based on what?

Given that a bunch of Lacross players being accused of rape generated significantly more media buzz and public outcry than Quyntel Woods' dogfighting, I don't know that this is an accurate statement.

The only reason that the Lacrosse case generated so much heat and buzz is because all sorts of liberals and feminist groups immediately latched onto it because the accuser was poor and black and the alleged perps were wealthy and white. It was tailor made to fit their preconceived notions of gender/class/race relations. And when it became obvious that the accuser was full of shit and the DA was pushing this case because it was an election year and played well in his district, it generated controversy and sold papers for another reason.

K-State Spur
08-20-2007, 05:48 PM
The only reason that the Lacrosse case generated so much heat and buzz is because all sorts of liberals and feminist groups immediately latched onto it because the accuser was poor and black and the alleged perps were wealthy and white. It was tailor made to fit their preconceived notions of gender/class/race relations. And when it became obvious that the accuser was full of shit and the DA was pushing this case because it was an election year and played well in his district, it generated controversy and sold papers for another reason.

There's ALWAYS other factors that affect the level of a story and public outcry.

For example, you're using this as evidence that people care more about dogfighting than manslaughter.

But a big reason that this story has so much buzz and outcry is that it is proportion to Vick's level of celebrity. He's arguably the most famous player in the league.

Even a large percentage of people who follow the NFL couldn't even tell you what position Leonard Little plays. And past that, there's probably a large percentage of Rams fans who couldn't pick his face out of a lineup (no pun intended).

TLWisfoine
08-20-2007, 06:19 PM

It must be so hard being a white male in this country.

TLWisfoine
08-20-2007, 06:21 PM

Tons of whites were found not guilty for the lynching of blacks despite the mountain of evidence. Get over it!!!

K-State Spur
08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Tons of whites were found not guilty for the lynching of blacks despite the mountain of evidence. Get over it!!!

Settle down. Even though I disagree with his point - he's using those as comparisons for the public tolerance of such actions vs. the public's tolerance of dogfighting. It was not a post claiming that people got off because they were african-american.

monosylab1k
08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
He's arguably the most famous player in the league..
cut that meat! cut that meat!
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/peyton-manning/pictures/peyton-manning-picture-1.jpg

monosylab1k
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
the Lacrosse incident was a racial issue - this isn't.

If Peyton Manning gets caught in a dogfighting ring, the same shit happens to him that's happening to Vick right now. People are calling him the scum of the earth and biggest monster alive while preparing to pay money to watch Ray Lewis be a hero on the field.

And if Peyton Manning raped a girl, the public outcry would be far weaker than if he was caught dogfighting.......unless of course he raped a poor black stripper.

monosylab1k
08-20-2007, 06:36 PM
although I will concede that if Vick raped a pretty white girl the outcry would be 1000000000000x worse than dogfighting and 1000000000000000000000000000000000x worse than if he raped a black girl (which would barely be a blip on the radar).

TLWisfoine
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Settle down. Even though I disagree with his point - he's using those as comparisons for the public tolerance of such actions vs. the public's tolerance of dogfighting. It was not a post claiming that people got off because they were african-american.

We are a long way away before that ever happens.

DarkReign
08-20-2007, 07:18 PM
We are a long way away before that ever happens.

:lmao

Youre priceless.

Findog
08-20-2007, 07:21 PM

Somebody already beat me to it:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1916149&postcount=38

Findog
08-20-2007, 07:23 PM

It's always hard to be falsely accused of something and have your named dragged through the mud by the media, whether you're white, black, rich, poor, male, female, whatever.

TLWisfoine
08-20-2007, 07:30 PM
^^^Agreed!!!

kskonn
08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

It is hard to be just about anyone in this country if you are:

a) doing stupid shit with stupid people
b) or in the wrong place at the wrong time(it happens)

Obstructed_View
08-20-2007, 10:03 PM
You have trouble because you're stupid. It's got nothing to do with what color you might be.

judaspriestess
08-21-2007, 12:02 AM
so much for vick clearing his "good" name. A-S-S-H-O-L-E

People can multi-task therefore being outraged at many things is feasible. There's plenty of outrage to go around with so much fucked up shit out there, this being one of them.

AlamoSpursFan
08-21-2007, 01:00 AM
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13918614/detail.html

:lmao

sabar
08-21-2007, 03:08 AM
He's never coming back to the NFL. Good riddance. He has had like 4-5 controversial things before this too. The obscene gesture incident... Ron Mexico...

Bye bye. Sucks for Atlanta. And who cares about rape and murder in comparison, all three things (killing defenseless animals, raping, murder) are sick and any of these people should have the wrath of human judgment brought upon them. 99% of the time rape cases are accusations anyways. This has determinative proof and co-defendants ready to accuse.

If he does come back, I don't see many willing to gamble on it... he won't be fresh at all after being cooped up in prison.

TLWisfoine
08-21-2007, 06:35 AM
You have trouble because you're stupid. It's got nothing to do with what color you might be.

Walk a mile in a man's shoes then you can talk. Until then, shut the hell up!!!

samikeyp
08-21-2007, 06:41 AM
I haven't walked a mile in Michael Vick's shoes so maybe I should shut the hell up but he is admitting his guilt in this so he deserves any punishment he gets for this.

TLWisfoine
08-21-2007, 07:05 AM
I wasn't talking about Vick, the thread got derailed and we were talking about who knows what.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Walking in a stupid man's shoes?

I'm hungry.

monosylab1k
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
he won't be fresh at all after being cooped up in prison.
or considering he'll have 1-2 years of nothing to do except work out, he might be in the best shape of his life.

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
And who cares about rape and murder in comparison, all three things (killing defenseless animals, raping, murder) are sick

Agree with that. There should be separate threads talking about whether Leonard Little and Ray Lewis got off too light. There is no doubt that Vick will deserve what he gets. And almost certainly he deserved much more than what the judge will hand out.

Obstructed_View
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Walk a mile in a man's shoes then you can talk. Until then, shut the hell up!!!
Hey stupid, can I borrow your shoes? :lol

O-Factor
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
You don't have to walk in Vick's shoes to judge that what he did was wrong, sick, and stupid. He deserves all the scruitiny he is recieving. Anyone trying to bring race into the issue is a fucking moron.

RC's Boss
08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I shall wear my Vick jersey all week long. :toast

timvp
08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
That said, I feel comfortable saying that murderers, rapists, AND dogfighters all represent the absolute scum of the earth. I see no need to rank any worse than the other.

I like dogs as much as the next guy but I can honestly say those who murder or rape humans are lower on the totem pole than dogfighters. Then again, maybe I'm just a sucker for that whole human life thing.

Killing defenseless animals such as these dogs is a deplorable act. Vick should pay a price for being involved ... and he will. But human life > animal life in every circumstance.

BeerIsGood!
08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
If you are convicted of Murder or Rape, you'll get a much heavier sentence than 1 to 5 years in a federal pen. You'll do hard time in a state pen. I don't see how there's any argument here. Vick isn't facing 20 to life for the dogfighting, he's only facing 1 yr for the dogfighting. It's the other charge (interstate something or other) that's got him facing 5 years.

DarkReign
08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
It's the other charge (interstate something or other) that's got him facing 5 years.

Which he will not be charged with under the plea agreement he is signing. Also apart of the agreement is that the local prosecutor in Virginia will not be able to levy seperate charges after the Fed is done.

Thats why Vick is taking the deal. Its as sweet as he could possibly get.

DarkReign
08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I shall wear my Vick jersey all week long. :toast

Wear it proud, hopefully in a very public place.

O-Factor
08-22-2007, 01:18 AM
Killing defenseless animals such as these dogs is a deplorable act. Vick should pay a price for being involved ... and he will. But human life > animal life in every circumstance.

Peta might disagree with alot of us here. I didn't like much how they protested at the Falcons training camp, calling the Falcon players dog killers and such. Vick wasn't even there.

BacktoBasics
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Walk a mile in a man's shoes then you can talk. Until then, shut the hell up!!!You have got to be the worst black person ever.

BeerIsGood!
08-22-2007, 02:51 PM
You have got to be the worst black person ever.

I think he's a self-hating white guy who deep down wants to be black. Like Jamie Kennedy in that shitty Malibu movie.

O-Factor
08-22-2007, 09:58 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/08/22/bc.fbn.vick.naacp.ap/index.html

R.L. White, president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter said "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being." and "As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community" and he wants people to forgive Vick for making a mistake......funny, they don't want to forgive Don Imus. Bad form NAACP, bad form.

K-State Spur
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I like how the NAACP guy said "Vick made a mistake." As if this was a one time event and not a major part of his lifestyle.

TheZackAttack!
08-22-2007, 11:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/08/22/bc.fbn.vick.naacp.ap/index.html

R.L. White, president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter said "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being." and "As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community" and he wants people to forgive Vick for making a mistake......funny, they don't want to forgive Don Imus. Bad form NAACP, bad form.

Im sure Martin Luther King is rolling in his grave right now

K-State Spur
08-23-2007, 07:17 AM
I think that would have happened a LONG time ago. The NAACP is another example of a group that started for very very good reasons, but has allowed it to become a cartoon of itself.

O-Factor
08-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I think that would have happened a LONG time ago. The NAACP is another example of a group that started for very very good reasons, but has allowed it to become a cartoon of itself.

They are a joke now and do more harm for their people than good.

duncan228
08-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't know where to put this...The Club because it's Pit Bulls?

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=070823&cat=sports&st=sportsd8r6l2lg0&src=ap

Pit Bulls at Vick's House Face Deadline

By ZINIE CHEN SAMPSON

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - More than 50 pit bulls seized from Michael Vick's property face a Thursday deadline to be claimed. If no one comes forward, they could be euthanized.

Federal prosecutors filed court documents last month to condemn 53 pit bulls seized in April as part of the investigation into dogfighting on the Vick's property. No one has claimed any of the dogs, which are being held at several unspecified shelters in eastern Virginia, the U.S. Attorney's office said Wednesday.

The civil complaint filed by federal prosecutors does not name the Atlanta Falcons quarterback and is separate from the criminal case against him. But it does state the pit bulls were part of the dogfighting operation known as "Bad Newz Kennels," which Vick and three cohorts are accused of operating.

Also included in the document are detailed allegations about the nature of the animals' training regimen and the dogfights occurring at Vick's property at 1915 Moonlight Road in Surry County.

The government filed three public civil forfeiture notices in a Richmond newspaper to publicize the dogs' confiscation, and the deadline for claims is 30 days after the appearance of the final notice, filed July 24.

Federal prosecutors declined to comment Wednesday on the seized dogs. Typically, when confiscated property goes unclaimed, the government asks the court to have the items declared forfeited. In this case, U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson will make the final decision on the dogs' fate.

"There's no dispute over who owns the dogs," said Daphna Nachminovitch, a spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. "Obviously this is not going to be a process where someone steps forward and says, 'This is my dog, can I have her back, please?' "

Though Hudson, who also is handling Vick's criminal case, will determine what becomes of the pit bulls, Nachminovitch said that it's likely that they will be euthanized because they're not adoptable as pets.

"These dogs are a ticking time bomb," she said. "Rehabilitating fighting dogs is not in the cards. It's widely accepted that euthanasia is the most humane thing for them."

Vick, 27, said through a lawyer this week that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. He is scheduled to enter his plea agreement Monday and could face up to five years in prison.

Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and agreed to testify against him if the case went to trial. They said Vick provided virtually all the gambling and operating funds for the Bad Newz Kennels enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs by various means, including drowning and hanging.

The locations of the shelters holding the dogs haven't been disclosed out of concern that the animals could be stolen, Nachminovitch said.

"They are a hot commodity in the world of dogfighting," she said.

ratm1221
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Vick is going to Federal "Pound Me In The Ass" Prison.

http://kaleteachingportfolio.pbwiki.com/f/office%20space.jpg

LuvBones
08-24-2007, 02:14 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/gogino20/2777-hehe.jpg

Kori Ellis
08-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Here's the full plea (copy of the actual court document) if anyone wants to read it.

http://spurstalk.com/vick_plea.pdf

mikejones99
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Looks like he will do about 6 months jail and play in 08 or 09

mardigan
08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Vick suspended indefinitely by NFL
ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 24, 2007, 5:58 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The NFL has suspended Michael Vick indefinitely.

On Friday, Vick filed his plea agreement in federal court admitting to conspiracy in a dogfighting ring and agreeing that the enterprise included killing pit bulls and gambling. He denied making side bets on the fights, but admitted to bankrolling them.

Friday afternoon, a letter to Vick from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said, in part:

"Your admitted conduct was not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible. Your team, the NFL, and NFL fans have all been hurt by your actions."

"Your plea agreement and the plea agreements of your co-defendants also demonstrate your significant involvement in illegal gambling. Even if you personally did not place bets, as you contend, your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL Player Contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy."

"I will review the status of your suspension following the conclusion of the legal proceedings. As part of that review, I will take into account a number of factors, including the resolution of any other charges that may be brought against you, whether in Surry County, Virginia, or other jurisdictions, your conduct going forward, the specifics of the sentence imposed by Judge Hudson and any related findings he might make, and the extent to which you are truthful and cooperative with law enforcement and league staff who are investigating these matters."

"I have advised the Falcons that, with my decision today, they are no longer prohibited from acting and are now free to assert any claims or remedies available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement or your NFL Player Contract."

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

T Park
08-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Good.

To prison the lowlife goes, and forever from the NFL he should be banned.

TLWisfoine
08-24-2007, 07:50 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/gogino20/2777-hehe.jpg

Meh, black men are used to facing stacked juries!!!

Duff McCartney
08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm into forgiving as much as the next person but I'm also for justice and reaping what you sow.

Those who say walk a mile in the mans shoes...yeah right...I'm sure it's not that hard to walke a mile in his 10k italian loafers I'm sure he wears.

samikeyp
08-24-2007, 08:43 PM

True but not all of those men were guilty. Vick is.

K-State Spur
08-24-2007, 09:20 PM

does letting a guilty black man go make up for injustices in the past?

peewee's lovechild
08-24-2007, 09:48 PM

You done lost yo mind fo sho!!!

TLWisfoine
08-24-2007, 11:33 PM
^^^You do know I was halfway joking right?

duncan228
08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pri&dt=070825&cat=sports&st=sportsd8r812r80&src=ap

Vick Suspended Indefinitely Without Pay

By DAVE GOLDBERG and LARRY O'DELL

(AP) - For all the big words and life lessons Roger Goodell included in his booming reaction to Michael Vick's admission of involvement in dogfighting, the NFL commissioner's message seemingly could have been whittled to two words: Nice try.

Goodell suspended the Atlanta Falcons quarterback indefinitely without pay Friday, just hours after Vick filed a plea agreement that portrayed him as less involved than three co-defendants and guilty mainly of poor judgment for associating with them.

In a letter to Vick, Goodell admonished him for "reprehensible" acts and for associating with people engaged in gambling in violation of NFL rules. He also rebuked him for seemingly trying to paint himself as something other than the ringleader.

"You are now justifiably facing consequences for the decisions you made and the conduct in which you engaged. Your career, freedom and public standing are now in the most serious jeopardy," Goodell wrote. "I hope that you will be able to learn from this difficult experience and emerge from it better prepared to act responsibly and to make the kinds of choices that are expected of a conscientious and law abiding citizen."

Vick acknowledged bankrolling gambling on the dogfights, but denied placing bets himself or taking any of the winnings. He admitted that dogs not worthy of the pit were killed "as a result of the collective efforts" of himself and two co-defendants.

Goodell decided not to wait until Monday, when U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson in Richmond, Va., formally receives the plea and schedules a sentencing likely to land Vick in prison for one to five years.

The commissioner said Vick's admitted conduct was "not only illegal but also cruel and reprehensible." Even if he didn't personally place bets, Goodell said, "your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL player contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.

The commissioner didn't speak to Vick but based his decision on the court filings. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell might meet with Vick in the future, and Goodell said he would review the suspension after all the legal proceedings.

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's personal conduct policy," Goodell told Vick in a letter after meeting in New York with Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank supported Goodell's decision.

"We hope that Michael will use this time, not only to further address his legal matters, but to take positive steps to improve his personal life," Blank said.

Nike, meanwhile, terminated its contract with Vick.

Earlier Friday, a "summary of facts" signed by Vick and his lawyers was filed along with his written plea agreement on a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge.

"While Mr. Vick is not personally charged with or responsible for committing all of the acts alleged in the indictment, as with any conspiracy charge, he is taking full responsibility for his actions and the actions of the others involved," the defense team said in a written statement after the plea agreement was filed.

"Mr. Vick apologizes for his poor judgment in associating himself with those involved in dog fighting and realizes he should never have been involved in this conduct," the statement said.

Vick and his lawyers said his involvement was limited when it came to the enterprise known as the Bad Newz Kennels.

"Our position has been that we are going to try to help Judge Hudson understand all the facts and Michael's role," Vick's defense attorney, Billy Martin, said in telephone interview. "Michael's role was different than others associated with this incident."

In court papers, Vick said he provided most of the Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies, echoing language in plea agreements by the three co-defendants _ Tony Taylor, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips.

When the dogs won, the statement said, gambling proceeds were generally shared by Taylor, Peace and Phillips.

"Vick did not gamble by placing side bets on any of the fights. Vick did not receive any of the proceeds of the purses that were won by Bad Newz Kennels," the court document said.

According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions in April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.

In the plea agreement, the government committed to recommending a sentence on the low end of the federal sentencing guideline range of a year to 18 months. However, the conspiracy charge is punishable by up to five years in prison, and the judge is not bound by any recommendation or by the guidelines.

Hudson has a reputation for imposing stiff sentences, according to lawyers who have appeared in his court. The judge will set a sentencing date at Monday's hearing.

Martin said Vick will "speak to the public and explain his actions." Though he declined to say when and where, the Tom Joyner Morning Show, a syndicated program based in Dallas, said it will have a live interview with Vick on Tuesday.

The case began in April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided a Surry County property owned by Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Peace, Phillips and Taylor with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent. The three co-defendants later pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against Vick.

Taylor was the first to change his plea, saying Vick financed the dogfighting ring's gambling and operations. Peace and Phillips soon followed, alleging that Vick joined them in killing dogs that did not measure up in test fights.

The sickening details outlined in the indictment and other court papers prompted a public backlash against Vick, who had been one of the NFL's most popular players.

Animal-rights groups mobilized against Vick _ even protesting at NFL headquarters in New York _ and sponsors dropped him.

"It is fitting that the NFL has suspended him," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "He's now a role model for something terrible, and it's not appropriate that he suit up in an NFL uniform."

peewee's lovechild
08-25-2007, 11:45 AM
^^^You do know I was halfway joking right?

Ditto.

mardigan
08-27-2007, 09:13 AM
He's never coming back to the NFL. Good riddance. He has had like 4-5 controversial things before this too. The obscene gesture incident... Ron Mexico...

Bye bye. Sucks for Atlanta. And who cares about rape and murder in comparison, all three things (killing defenseless animals, raping, murder) are sick and any of these people should have the wrath of human judgment brought upon them. 99% of the time rape cases are accusations anyways. This has determinative proof and co-defendants ready to accuse.

If he does come back, I don't see many willing to gamble on it... he won't be fresh at all after being cooped up in prison.
Im with Timvp on this one, I love dogs as much as the next guy, but comparing dogfighting to murder and rape is ridiculous.
Would you rather have a rapist or a murderer walking the streets over a guy who fights dogs?

mardigan
08-27-2007, 09:14 AM
and forever from the NFL he should be banned.
And Leonard Little gets to keep playing, right

samikeyp
08-27-2007, 10:32 AM
I think once he serves his time, he has the right to pursue work. At the same time, NFL owners have the same right not to hire him.

mardigan
08-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I think once he serves his time, he has the right to pursue work. At the same time, NFL owners have the same right not to hire him.
I completely agree with you.
He should be allowed to continue work if a employer is willing to take a chance in him

monosylab1k
08-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I heard on the radio today that depending on how much he cooperates and rats out the dogfighting underworld, Vick may see no jail time at all....anybody hear anything else about this?

I really hope this isn't the case, he needs to see a jail cell for at least 6 months. I just don't agree with the life sentence w/o parole that the court of public opinion has doled out.

DarkReign
08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Bah, just as we let the system run its course, we should allow it to sentence as well.

I gain no pleasure from Vick's downfall. I am more concerned with the plea deal. A very, very sweet deal indeed. I am not sure other people would have received such a wonderful deal with the sheer amount of evidence and impending testimony against them.

But thats just me.

DarkReign
08-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Chris Rock said it best..

It isnt about race, its about fame. Replace OJ Simpson with Jerry Seinfeld youd get the same "not guilty" verdict.

Fame = Money = Privilege

TheZackAttack!
08-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I heard on the radio today that depending on how much he cooperates and rats out the dogfighting underworld, Vick may see no jail time at all....anybody hear anything else about this?

I really hope this isn't the case, he needs to see a jail cell for at least 6 months. I just don't agree with the life sentence w/o parole that the court of public opinion has doled out.

I saw that on ESPN yesterday, they were arguing if Vick should rat or not. Some think you should never "rat on your boys" and some were saying that he should come forward with everything he knows as a first step to his road towards redemption in the public eye. Personally I don't care what he does.

DarkReign
08-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Personally I don't care what he does.

Nor should alot of people.

O-Factor
08-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I wonder what teams will give Vick a chance if and when he comes back being out of football that long and with all the negative press. But I tell you what, ESPN would eat that story up, regergetat it and eat in up again and again. They'd cover Vick more than they'd ever covered T.O.