PDA

View Full Version : Olbermann, Countdown Make Prime-Time

Nbadan
08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
NYT: Arts, Briefly
Compiled by STEVEN McELROY
Published: August 20, 2007
Olbermann on NBC

“Countdown With Keith Olbermann” the highly rated cable news program, will be shown on network television on Sunday before a preseason NBC football game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Since Mr. Olbermann will have a regular role in NBC’s football coverage once the season begins — appearing as a co-host on the pregame show “Football Night in America” on Sundays — this weekend’s appearance of his cable show will give a wider audience a look at what he has been up for the last four years. “ ‘Countdown’ is rocketing right now over at MSNBC — its ratings are going through the roof,” said Phil Griffin, senior vice president of NBC News. (In July Mr. Olbermann’s show averaged 721,000 viewers, an increase of 88 percent over last July, according to MSNBC.) Mr. Griffin added, “The world has changed, and I think people have come in line with the smart, focused approach he has on the show.” No immediate plans for additional network appearances of “Countdown” have been made, but Mr. Griffen did not rule them out. “It may be the first of several times you see Olbermann on the network,” he said.

NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/20/arts/20arts.html?ref=arts)

Meanwhile .... Limbaugh's appearance on Faux's Half-Wit Newshour gets him and the show cancelled....

medstudent
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
that show is genius

DarkReign
08-20-2007, 02:34 PM
that show is genius

Agreed. Olberman was always ESPN's best anchor. Now he is doing real news and found his "legs".

PixelPusher
08-20-2007, 03:12 PM
How long before O'Reilly calls for a boycott of Sunday Night Football?

lawstudent
08-20-2007, 03:21 PM
It's only a matter of time before O'Reilly winds up in court for something like sexual harassment.

Ocotillo
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
NBC should just trash the nightly news with Brian Williams and go for an hour of Countdown. The demographic for the nightly news is slowly dying (literally) and this is the sort of the thing CBS was hoping to do with Katie Couric. You remember perky Katie, she was suppose to bring in a new demographic for the network nightly news.

I know the local stations would bellyache about an hour long national news but do we really need an hour of the crap most local stations air in the first place?

DarkReign
08-21-2007, 08:52 AM
I know the local stations would bellyache about an hour long national news but do we really need an hour of the crap most local stations air in the first place?

No. It seems alot of tabloid writers couldnt find national work, so local outlets hired them instead.

90% of local news is complete and utter sensationalist crap.

td4mvp3
08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
No. It seems alot of tabloid writers couldnt find national work, so local outlets hired them instead.

90% of local news is complete and utter sensationalist crap.
i actually work for a newspaper, but this strikes me as the problem with most folks when it comes to news. they want some entertainment (and obermann does that wonderfully) but not substance (his stuff has an obvious bias and is really the liberal equivalent of o'reilly, who is a tool, but the aims of both shows are identical in terms of playing to a particular political segment), which the local news is going to give you. the only reason local newscasts provide so much tripe is because they are desperately trying to entertain the audience in the hopes of attracting more folks. newspapers and telecasts are losing audience to the internet not because the web provides more accurate or insightful information but because youtube and myspace provide more entertainment. and geez, ignoring what's on the local evening news just means missing out on more of the stuff that is or should be truly important to you because it is local happenings. the idea that skipping it for a national show that, ultimately, gives you nothing but a biased opinion on a select group of stories (not to mention that the no. 1 story is usually some entertainment news or other such soft news) points to the uphill battle so many local shows face and why the country keeps shafting itself.

Holt's Cat
08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Watching Olbermann is about as entertaining as watching O'Reilly. Which places it just above watching your dick cut off by a steak knife. Some of you should get out more.

inconvertible
08-23-2007, 11:09 PM
it took awhile but his show is not bad.......but polarizing figures get very tiresome.

td4mvp3
08-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Watching Olbermann is about as entertaining as watching O'Reilly. Which places it just above watching your dick cut off by a steak knife. Some of you should get out more.
some of the obvious antti-fox news segments can stretch their worth, but overall, i think it's pretty good. hell, it got me to stop watching the daily show.

Ocotillo
08-24-2007, 02:12 PM
some of the obvious antti-fox news segments can stretch their worth, but overall, i think it's pretty good. hell, it got me to stop watching the daily show.

The Daily Show is on twice a night so you can have both. The one that is on when Olbermann is on is the previous day's rerun.

George Gervin's Afro
08-24-2007, 03:00 PM
How long before O'Reilly calls for a boycott of Sunday Night Football?

:lol

Media Matters owns O'Reilly