PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick's future....

samikeyp
08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Does he come back to the NFL? (Assuming he is allowed back)

Does he come back and succeed?

Does he come back as a QB?

Do you want him on your team?

Discuss.

L.I.T
08-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I just realized how lopsided that San Diego Chargers/Atlanta Falcons trade has turned out to be.

Anyway:

I'm still on the fence with this. But, I think Goodall is gonna need a lot of tears and begs for forgiveness after his time in jail to let him back in (likely looking to a 1 year after jail sentenc). If he does come back, I don't see him succeeding as much, he probably turns into Slash, or in a best case scenario Randall Cunningham. He's too slight to really be a running back, I'm not sure about his hands at WR, so, yeah a change of pace QB off the bench. No.

BeerIsGood!
08-20-2007, 11:12 PM
1) If he gets a 3+ yr sentence and anything more than a yr suspension after his term I don't think he'll play in the NFL again. If his sentence is less than 3 and his NFL suspension is only a year or two then I think he has a decent chance.

2-3) If he comes back, I don't see it as a QB unless he goes to a team that is so hard up for a QB that they will try almost anyone (see Raiders and Jeff George). I think his chances of coming back as a receiver or a Reggie Bush type back are better, and his chances of any success would be better too.

4) I wouldn't want him on my team for the sheer hope that my team wouldn't be so hard up for a QB or other skill positions that they would have to take a chance on a convict who hadn't played in several years. That said, I'm sure there will be at least one NFL team that is just that hard up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-20-2007, 11:15 PM

No. (No.)

Does he come back and succeed?

^

Does he come back as a QB?

^

Do you want him on your team?

^

sabar
08-21-2007, 03:10 AM
I don't see the league seriously allowing him back. They'll nail him with a suspension after he leaves prison that pretty much ensures he wont by NFL-ready or have fresh legs.

Oh, Gee!!
08-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I think I see a rap album in his future

monosylab1k
08-21-2007, 09:39 AM
He's got nothing to do but lift weights and work out, and this will be 2-3 years where he won't have to take the NFL beating every week. His legs will be plenty fresh.

Whether or not he will be able to play QB is another story, but if he converts to WR he could have another 3-4 years of solid play in him after he gets out.

With the talent he's got, somebody will pick him up. Look how many chances Lawrence Phillips got, and IMO he's a far more disgusting human being than Vick. If he can help your team, and winning is ultimately the bottom line, then you'd be crazy not to at least give him a look and see where his head's at.

If he gets out of prison and is truly remorseful and ready to move on, then he ought to be give another chance. If he gets out and still thinks he's MIKE VICK, then fuck him.

Oh, Gee!!
08-21-2007, 09:45 AM
plus he'll be playing for vet minimum at that point. I'd take him even it was just to return kicks.

Findog
08-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Vick's future? I suspect he will be Schillinger's girlfriend, but only if Adebisi doesn't get to him first and convert him to Islam. Although most likely Rebedaw will stab him to death in his sleep.

Nobody's going to take a chance on Vick at WR or RB. There are plenty of fast, athletic guys that can play those positions. Vick's only value is at QB, and teams aren't going to take the PR hit on a dogkiller unless that guy is Brady or Manning. Vick has been an inconsistent signalcaller.

Sorry, but his immediate future involves seeing if his lawyers have enough pull to get him into a Club Fed prison instead of a poundmeintheass pen.

monosylab1k
08-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Nobody's going to take a chance on Vick at WR or RB. There are plenty of fast, athletic guys that can play those positions.
There's fast and athletic and then there's Michael Vick fast and athletic. He's got 4.2 speed and more explosiveness than anybody else in the league. Guys who run 40's in the 4.2 and 4.3 range can be had, but not all of them have speed translates once on the field, and Vick's speed translates perfectly. If he converts to WR, he'll have a job somewhere once he gets out.

Findog
08-21-2007, 09:55 AM
There's fast and athletic and then there's Michael Vick fast and athletic. He's got 4.2 speed and more explosiveness than anybody else in the league. Guys who run 40's in the 4.2 and 4.3 range can be had, but not all of them have speed translates once on the field, and Vick's speed translates perfectly. If he converts to WR, he'll have a job somewhere once he gets out.

I honestly doubt it. Sub 4.3/40 times aren't THAT rare. Is a team really going to take the PR hit to make him a #3 WR? I respectfully disagree. He won't even be able to get a visa to go to the CFL. If I were a betting man, the only place you'll see Vick is in Arena League.

monosylab1k
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Sub 4.3/40 times aren't THAT rare.
Sub 4.3 times that translate over with pads on during a game ARE rare, however. Combine that with near-Reggie Bush level agility. Michael Vick has otherwordly talent on the football field, he's not your typical asshole here. If Lawrence Phillips, who doesn't have half the talent Vick has, got as many chances as he did, then Vick will get at least one more chance.

And if he's helping you win, do you really give a fuck what anybody else thinks? Everybody hates Terrell Owens until he's catching TD's for your team.

Plus like I said before, this all depends on his attitude once he leaves prison. If he's truly reformed, he will get (and IMO he really ought to get) another chance. If it's obvious he still think's he's a superstar, then nobody will touch him.

samikeyp
08-21-2007, 10:14 AM
(waiting for the inevitable "Michael Vick Longest Yard" photoshop)

:lol

florige
08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
How do you think his pockets are going to look after this whole mess? Still set??

midgetonadonkey
08-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Can we call him a draft bust now?

ducks
08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
He will be able to stay in shape in jail
I wonder if he will be able to throw a football in jail
I would bet he will be able to

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 02:21 PM
He will be able to stay in shape in jail
I wonder if he will be able to throw a football in jail
I would bet he will be able to

He's going to be throwing his ass in jail, that's for sure.

BeerIsGood!
08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I honestly doubt it. Sub 4.3/40 times aren't THAT rare. Is a team really going to take the PR hit to make him a #3 WR? I respectfully disagree. He won't even be able to get a visa to go to the CFL. If I were a betting man, the only place you'll see Vick is in Arena League.

In 4 or 5 years this will no longer be any sort of a story and there will be little to zero PR hit for anyone that takes a chance on him. It's just a big issue right now since it's all over TV and the internet, but in a few years nobody will care anymore.

florige
08-21-2007, 03:14 PM
In 4 or 5 years this will no longer be any sort of a story and there will be little to zero PR hit for anyone that takes a chance on him. It's just a big issue right now since it's all over TV and the internet, but in a few years nobody will care anymore.

Never thought about it in those terms before. I think that Animal Activist wil still ride any team that takes a chance on him. I heard on the radio yesterday that a humane society in Atlanta was using hundreds and hundreds of Vick jerseys sent to them by I guess former fans as rags to wipe the animal cages, dog pillows, and toilet scrubbers. One person said that they are mixed in with the rags. No BS!!!

kskonn
08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
How do you think his pockets are going to look after this whole mess? Still set??
not to sure. If he has had a good money manager he should be fine. However if the Falcons release him then they can go after the 22 million signing bonus he received because of a breach of contract.

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM

I doubt that it would be zero. I don't know if there's really a precedent though. I'm trying to think of a top profile athlete (in a team sport) that served a significant amount of time for something that many fans hold dear to their hearts, then tried to return to the sport.

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
not to sure. If he has had a good money manager he should be fine. However if the Falcons release him then they can go after the 22 million signing bonus he received because of a breach of contract.

Actually, they would have to go after the money BEFORE they released him. If they just released him, they'd be renouncing their rights to him so there would be no breach of contract.

ducks
08-21-2007, 06:57 PM
people think animals are more important then people
sad

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
is it that outlandish? i'd be willing to bet that there are a large number of people who have been treated better by their dog than any person has ever treated them.

that doesn't make it right to care more about dogs than people, but i do think it's understandable.

BeerIsGood!
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
is it that outlandish? i'd be willing to bet that there are a large number of people who have been treated better by their dog than any person has ever treated them.

that doesn't make it right to care more about dogs than people, but i do think it's understandable.

Outside of my close family, my dog has treated me better than anyone else. If it came down to Vick or my dog - Vick would have a bullet in his head, no doubt about it.

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Actually, they would have to go after the money BEFORE they released him. If they just released him, they'd be renouncing their rights to him so there would be no breach of contract.

Not so fast, my friend!!

This morning an ESPN insider said that if they keep Vick, they can reclaim much of their money based on how his contract is structured.

The signing bonus and salary that he was contracted for is performance based. So, if he stays in jail for a while it would reflect on his performance average and therefore Atlanta can reclaim most of the signing bonus and a good part of the contract.

midgetonadonkey
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
people think animals are more important then people
sad

Animals are helpless. People can defend themselves. That's how most people see it.

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Not so fast, my friend!!

This morning an ESPN insider said that if they keep Vick, they can reclaim much of their money based on how his contract is structured.

The signing bonus and salary that he was contracted for is performance based. So, if he stays in jail for a while it would reflect on his performance average and therefore Atlanta can reclaim most of the signing bonus and a good part of the contract.

That's what I said, they'd have to reclaim the money BEFORE they released him. They can't just flat out release him - then ask for the money back.

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 09:43 PM
That's what I said, they'd have to reclaim the money BEFORE they released him. They can't just flat out release him - then ask for the money back.

My bad, I thought you meant that they could take his money now and then release him. They'd have to wait out the contract to take his money. It seems odd, but that's the way it works.

ancestron
08-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I think I see a rap album in his future
:lol
Michael Vick-- "Out of the Doghouse" featuring DMX

K-State Spur
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
My bad, I thought you meant that they could take his money now and then release him. They'd have to wait out the contract to take his money. It seems odd, but that's the way it works.

Yeah, they really wouldn't even be releasing him at all. Releasing him is the team's way of voiding his contract (with whatever penalties the contract has in play). What the Falcons would need to do is to prove that Vick voided his own contract - which may not prove to be overly difficult.

TLWisfoine
08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
That pervert Lance Rentzel, former Dallas Cowboys reciever was still able to play in the NFL after he exposed himself to a child, so why can't Vick? Oh I know, we care more about some damn dogs than humans!!!

TLWisfoine
08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Outside of my close family, my dog has treated me better than anyone else. If it came down to Vick or my dog - Vick would have a bullet in his head, no doubt about it.

and some people wonder why people have become more violent nowadays.

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 01:46 PM
That pervert Lance Rentzel, former Dallas Cowboys reciever was still able to play in the NFL after he exposed himself to a child, so why can't Vick? Oh I know, we care more about some damn dogs than humans!!!

Please tell me you are not sticking up for Vick in all this.

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 01:47 PM

I agree...and to add to TL's post...the same would go with someone like Rentzel if it were my kid, which I bet you would do the same.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
The Rentzel thing was just him drunk pissing in a park and the kid saw him, no?

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
The Rentzel thing was just him drunk pissing in a park and the kid saw him, no?

That was one story...no one but him and the kid know for sure.

peewee's lovechild
08-22-2007, 02:01 PM

The Cowboys can do no wrong.

peewee's lovechild
08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I figured I could try and make this comical because TLWisfoine is out of his mind.

TLWisfoine
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Please tell me you are not sticking up for Vick in all this.

Not at this point, even though I am no animal lover especially dogs I just worry if someone is capable of doing this then what the hell else are they capable of?

TLWisfoine
08-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I figured I could try and make this comical because TLWisfoine is out of his mind.

You are not the first to question my sanity and I highly doubt the last, but still how can someone who was arrested for exposing himself to a child still be allowed to play in the NFL?

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 02:24 PM
The Cowboys can do no wrong.

You weren't around for Rafael Septien.

peewee's lovechild
08-22-2007, 02:27 PM

I've always been around.

I've been a fan from the get go.
Even when the sucked ass in the 80s.
Even when they were 1-14, or whatever it was.

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
I've always been around.

Then you know that in the 70's, they had some players who liked to raise a little hell.

TLWisfoine
08-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Forgot about old Rafi, hey peewee, you a fan of his also?

TLWisfoine
08-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Then you know that in the 70's, they had some players who liked to raise a little hell.

I loved me some Hollywood Henderson. Didn't he play in the Superbowl high on drugs?

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I loved me some Hollywood Henderson. Didn't he play in the Superbowl high on drugs?

High as a kite.

Back in the 90's I think, he won the lottery.

K-State Spur
08-22-2007, 05:55 PM

So because one WR got away with one back in the 60s, nobody can be punished harshly now?

I still think it's ridiculous to think that if Vick were drowning humans with his own bare hands, that the media and public back lash would be less.

Personally, I think Vick should be allowed to play again after a 1 or 2 year suspension. Now, if anybody would want him at that point, is a whole different story...

Holmes_Fans
08-22-2007, 06:55 PM

He could, he is big and fast

Does he come back and succeed? No, I doubt he will stay in shape over 1 or 2 years. There are plenty of fast black players, he will not be nearly as fast either in 2 years.

Does he come back as a QB? Arena league 2 maybe

Do you want him on your team? No, he will just do something stupid again. It runs in his family

Discuss.