PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Troy Hudson - reports the Dave Smith Show

Darkwaters
08-21-2007, 08:12 AM
I was listening to the Dave Smith show this morning (somebody was filling in for him because hes out on vacation) and he was reporting that the Spurs had just signed Troy Hudson formerly of the Timberwolves. However, I cannot find any evidence to support this theory. Has anybody heard anything?

RC's Boss
08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Please let it be false!!!!!!!!!!!! Then again, he can't be worse than Beno.

BronxCowboy
08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure there is anyone he can't be worse than. If this is true, oh god . . .

MarCowMar
08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Maybe they meant he was working out with the Spurs?? I hope this is not true.

nkdlunch
08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
this would be a big improvement over Beno. GTFO Beanner!

Darkwaters
08-21-2007, 08:34 AM
Maybe they meant he was working out with the Spurs?? I hope this is not true.

That was my first thought too. But he didn't just kind of say this in passing. The host kept talking about how he "couldn't believe that the Spurs keep getting better while MY Lakers keep sucking it up and signing nobodys." That comment kind of made me laugh, but it also made me gasp because he was absolutely certain that Hudson was a Spur.

Darkwaters
08-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Hoopshype's big story right now is "Hudson a Spur?" Yet they are very non-committal at this point and attest only that he has worked out for the team (as we all knew was going to happen).

My thinking is that the radio host simply jumped the gun on this one. But he definitely said The Spurs signed Troy Hudson...so I figured it warranted a report.

YamaSama
08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
The St. Paul Pioneer Press (as per hoopshype - http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm) is reporting that Troy Hudson worked out for the Spurs. It also says that the Spurs were the first team to call Hudson.
Not exactly the same as signing him, but maybe that's what the radio host had heard.

Streakyshooter08
08-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, I have mixed feelings if this is true. I mean he is the third string backup PG and may battle with Vaughn for the backup position. If he does not work out you still have Vaughn AND he is better than Beno. If the Spurs worked him out and liked what they saw he might be in better shape than we know. But I will wait until it is official.

That said, it would mean that Beno is definetly on his way out.

Avitus1
08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Time will tell but it sounds like he might of jumped the gun.

MoSpur
08-21-2007, 08:49 AM
I al read was that he worked out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Hudson > Beno.

Holt's Cat
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Beno, we knew ye.

Holt's Cat
08-21-2007, 09:03 AM
If Beno had Bowen's professionalism and drive he'd be the best backup point in the league and would be looking at a very nice pay increase next summer.

Holt's Cat
08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
As for Hudson, I'm assuming he would be signed for the vet min for a year with a team option on the 2nd. It's not a bad idea to bet on a career turnaround for him at that price. Age 31. Has been a capable offensive threat at the 1 in his career and, of import for a Spurs' perimeter player, can shoot the 3 well.

Vaughn doesn't necessarily have the backup point spot locked up. It would be nice to have a backup point with a better J.

BronxCowboy
08-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Has been a chucker at the 1 in his career

Fixed.

Darkwaters
08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Fixed.

Probably true. But I do remember this forum creaming themselves over Jannero Pargo. That guys face is in the dictionary next to the work "Chucker". So if Pargo is a nice fit then I don't see why being a chucker would disqualify Hudson.

BronxCowboy
08-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Hudson > Beno.

The guy has only hit 40% of his shots on his career, and that goes down to 39% in the playoffs. His numbers last year for the pathetic Minnesota Timberwolves were virtually identical to Beno's numbers for the NBA champion Spurs. Maybe he's better than Beno, but he sure has a funny way of showing it.

Holt's Cat
08-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Sometimes "chuckers" are made by a green light. He has a better J than Vaughn. In addition, Pop tends to cure those with a propensity to shoot too much.

Mr. Body
08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Count me happy if this is true. It likely means soyonara Beno. At worst Hudson will sit behind Vaughn. At best he provides a little scoring punch and rocks no boats.

BronxCowboy
08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Now that I think about it, if this means they can get a pick or something for Beno, then go for it??

timvp
08-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Doesn't sound overly official at this point, but thanks for the report anyways, DW. Hudson for the money he'd get wouldn't be a bad signing. If your backup is Vaughn, you might as well have a third point guard with a totally different skillset. Hudson is pretty much the opposite of Vaughn in every aspect. His best attribute for the Spurs would be his outside shooting ability -- specifically his three-point shooting. Also, if you look at his playoff numbers, he has performed quite well in the postseason (close to 24 points per game the last time he was in the playoffs).

That said, he'd be a little bit of a scary signing just because he's a player that can lose a game for you. He can go in and miss a lot of shots and make a lot of mistakes and allow the other team to go on a run. Yet with Parker and Vaughn ahead of him, he shouldn't really have too much of an opportunity to affect games one way or another.

The Spurs would probably need to find a taker for Beno before looking around for a third point guard. Even then, I'm not sure THud is the guy on the top of their list.

ducks
08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
if hudson is signed I would think barry or beno would be gone

Supreme_Being
08-21-2007, 10:06 AM
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9240/hudsonwc6.png (http://imageshack.us)

TDMVPDPOY
08-21-2007, 10:09 AM
if hudson is signed I would think barry or beno would be gone

keep barry imo...he still has some use in those legs and his contract b4 trade deadline

just get beno of this team seriously...

ploto
08-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Why are people assuming it is Beno who would be gone-- it could be Barry! It is certainly better financially to trade away Barry than Beno- plus a move of Barry makes room in the rotation for Udoka. Beno could play at the 2.

timvp
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Why are people assuming it is Beno who would be gone-- it could be Barry! It is certainly better financially to trade away Barry than Beno- plus a move of Barry makes room in the rotation for Udoka. Beno could play at the 2.Having a short, fat sloth at shooting guard wouldn't go over too well in the NBA. Maybe if Beno would get halfway in shape and the Spurs had a big point to put next to him, then it'd make somewhat sense.

But as is, signing Hudson without getting rid of Beno first makes no sense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
If signing Hudson means dumping Beno, then bring it on.

Mitch Cumsteen
08-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Hudson > Beno.
Dogshit > Beno

Didn't Hudson once light us up for something like 25 in a quarter? I remember the game and he was out of his skull. Jacking 3s. Hitting runners. It was unbelievable. He looked like a video game.

sandman
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Dogshit > Beno

Yeah, but did Dogshit get two welcome back parties from all his metro buddies?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
:lol

Solid D
08-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I haven't seen Troy Hudson play well in a while. He had game, a few years ago but now he may not be any better than NVE was on his last legs. 'Probably isn't.

You guys are exaggerating Beno's game, as well. Beno is a decent player and he just needs the right situation to play to his potential. He's not a strong defender, nor strong with the ball and he hasn't seemed to care about improving those aspects. When Pop asked Beno to pick his man up full court, he picked his man up at 3/4 court or 2/3 court. Not good. However, he is not scrap-heap material by any means. He is a very skilled player, a good passer and he shoots well when he has confidence. Let's not forget that.

sabar
08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Why are people assuming it is Beno who would be gone-- it could be Barry! It is certainly better financially to trade away Barry than Beno- plus a move of Barry makes room in the rotation for Udoka. Beno could play at the 2.Beno is only going to play PG in this system and we don't need a fourth-string PG, if he even could be considered that. Beno is so full of failure at this point that I do this signing just to dump him. He's too fat and lazy to be a PG, he won't do any good at any other position. With Beno's awesome 25% 3pt accuracy I'd rather not see him ever play at SG anyways.

Beno pulled 27% 3 pt accuracy and 37% FG. He's done in San Antonio. Nick the Quick put up better numbers in his last season than Beno did.

ploto
08-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Beno pulled 27% 3 pt accuracy and 37% FG. He's done in San Antonio. Nick the Quick put up better numbers in his last season than Beno did.
And Beno's rookie year he had the best 3 FG% on the team.

My point was simply that if the Spurs are looking to save money, they could save more by moving Barry- who also is presumably more desirable by other teams. If they want room for Udoka, as well as cash possibly for Williams and Ian, moving Barry potentially does that more than moving Beno.

People also assume that somehow the Spurs can magically trade Beno for nothing- but don't you think they would have done that by now if they could? The Spurs have tried to trade Beno for a draft pick to no avail for 3 drafts nights.

Supergirl
08-21-2007, 12:19 PM
IS THERE ANY CONFIRMATION THAT THIS (Signing Hudson) IS TRUE???

timvp
08-21-2007, 12:22 PM
IS THERE ANY CONFIRMATION THAT THIS (Signing Hudson) IS TRUE???No.

SilverPlayer
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
On this team 31 isn't old. I'd take Hudson with pleasure, if he can find some playing time, the dude can light it up.

I think he is an excellent position to rejuvenate his career with the Spurs.

CubanMustGo
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
And Beno's rookie year he had the best 3 FG% on the team.

My point was simply that if the Spurs are looking to save money, they could save more by moving Barry- who also is presumably more desirable by other teams. If they want room for Udoka, as well as cash possibly for Williams and Ian, moving Barry potentially does that more than moving Beno.

People also assume that somehow the Spurs can magically trade Beno for nothing- but don't you think they would have done that by now if they could? The Spurs have tried to trade Beno for a draft pick to no avail for 3 drafts nights.

Too bad Beno decided to have his career season his rookie year. And I agree, nobody wants him - so why should we keep him, either?

At least when you pay Barry, you get a guy who will occasionally contribute something beside waving a towel sitting on the bench.

smrattler
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
For all the people calling him a low percentage chucker...

Pop gives his shooters (Barry, Fin, Manu, Bowen) the green light to launch if at all open. Don't think, shoot.

He doesn't give that to TP (from the 3 point line anyway) and makes sure TP does his due diligence before taking a shot.

Everyone else, they know where they are allowed to shoot from if open. This guy would be no different. Pop puts guys in position to do well. Makes the rules clear what you can't do and let's you do everything you do well. And the looks this guy will get from his sweet spots will be the best he's ever gotten (with TD, Manu and TP clearing the way).

I'm not worried about that at all. I'm only worried about if he's in shape and healthy enough to do what he can really help us do on defense and reliable with the ball in his hands. If he can be trusted out there, it's an upgrade over Beno, whether he gets the #2 spot (over Vaughn) or not.

smrattler
08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Btw, how good is Hudson at finishing at the basket? I hope he's good, because running a pick and roll with TD is like nothing he's ever done, it's going to be an open drive to the lane with the beaten big trying to reach back and block his shot. If he can accelerate the the basket and elevate well to finish, he won't be launching too much from the perimeter anyway. The Spurs don't have launching PGs. They all drive because it's always there. They all get to the basket because it's always there. And they all run pick and rolls with TD and he gets a lot of attention.

L.I.T
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
If this turns out to be true, it's a decent signing. He's a veteran player with a history of some success in the NBA, when you look at his career numbers he's fairly similar to Chucky Atkins (a guy who a lot of people were advocating signing). A reasonable, probably low-risk signing, that has the potential to strengthen the bench and add some more scoring punch. We already have a known commodity at back-up in Vaughn.

Unbelievably, even at this point in his career, he has more upside for the Spurs than Beno.

Nego
08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Hudson would be a good journeyman pickup.. but I don't know... I mean Beno is still young... he has to to have some upside to him...

Darkwaters
08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
IS THERE ANY CONFIRMATION THAT THIS (Signing Hudson) IS TRUE???

No, it looks like the radio host jumped the gun or simply misread his articles this morning. But regardless, the Spurs do have obvious interest as Hudson worked out for the team yesterday.

ChumpDumper
08-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Why are people assuming it is Beno who would be gone-- it could be Barry! It is certainly better financially to trade away Barry than Beno- plus a move of Barry makes room in the rotation for Udoka. Beno could play at the 2.So Beno will be our fourth point guard or sixth shooting guard?

Nice.
People also assume that somehow the Spurs can magically trade Beno for nothing- but don't you think they would have done that by now if they could? The Spurs have tried to trade Beno for a draft pick to no avail for 3 drafts nights.Thanks for confirming he's worthless.

Waive Beno.

ducks
08-21-2007, 04:07 PM
hudson has chip
chip can help people shot if he practices with them

beno refuses to

BronxCowboy
08-21-2007, 05:29 PM
I haven't seen Troy Hudson play well in a while. He had game, a few years ago but now he may not be any better than NVE was on his last legs. 'Probably isn't.

You guys are exaggerating Beno's game, as well. Beno is a decent player and he just needs the right situation to play to his potential. He's not a strong defender, nor strong with the ball and he hasn't seemed to care about improving those aspects. When Pop asked Beno to pick his man up full court, he picked his man up at 3/4 court or 2/3 court. Not good. However, he is not scrap-heap material by any means. He is a very skilled player, a good passer and he shoots well when he has confidence. Let's not forget that.

:tu Second everything you just said.

ChumpDumper
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Beno will never have confidence as a Spur nor will he deserve it.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Sign Troy Hudson and let him play in Austin
ChumpDumper will agree with me on this one.

BronxCowboy
08-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Unbelievably, even at this point in his career, he has more upside for the Spurs than Beno.

How does he have any upside left at all? :rolleyes

Mr. Body
08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
ChumpDumper will agree with me on this one.

Only first and second year players can be assigned to the NBDL. I don't know how many times this has to be said.

ChumpDumper
ChumpDumper will agree with me on this one.He can't play in Austin. Now Pooh Jeter OTOH....

Solid D
hudson has chip
chip can help people shot if he practices with them

beno refuses to

Babelduck translation please?

Cant_Be_Faded
08-21-2007, 05:36 PM
He can't play in Austin. Now Pooh Jeter OTOH....

Pooh << Beno

ChumpDumper
08-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Pooh << BenoProbably true, but Pooh can get better.

Beno won't.

Hoy
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Off with Dave Smith's head.!
Bringer of bad news must be whacked with prejudice.
Hudson?
Disgusting!

BeerIsGood!
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM

With his nice quotes regarding his belief that the Spurs have discriminated against him... he's worthless to the Spurs. He can only be a headcase and hurt team chemistry at this point, they should take any chance at getting rid of him. I'd trade him for fried chicken at this point mainly because he can only bring negativity.

Spurs Brazil
08-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Hudson, whose Timberwolves contract was bought out for $10 million, the other day worked out for the San Antonio Spurs, who were the first to call after the point guard became a free agent.

That is true, the Spurs had Hudson here last week, but his agent told News 4, Tuesday, that he does not expect Hudson to sign with the Spurs. Hudson is looking to play a lot and that won't happen with Tony Parker here. He said it was not an ideal situation for either side. http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=8dde3a82-af75-45ca-9a31-2b5e070a296b

ducks
08-21-2007, 06:54 PM
did he really think he could beat out tp?

SilverPlayer
08-21-2007, 06:55 PM
That is true, the Spurs had Hudson here last week, but his agent told News 4, Tuesday, that he does not expect Hudson to sign with the Spurs. Hudson is looking to play a lot and that won't happen with Tony Parker here. He said it was not an ideal situation for either side. http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=8dde3a82-af75-45ca-9a31-2b5e070a296b

Um sounds like he wants to get payed not played. If you want to play for a championship, this is the only game in town. Otherwise it's about the money.

Clutch20
08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
I liked what he did last time I saw him play. Checking around I found out that he was a starter back in March. In that first game as a starter he made 3 of 6 treys and had 26 points on 9-of-15 shooting. He nailed a game-tying three-pointer with nine seconds left in regulation and had eight assists and two steals. But his team went on to lose in overtime to Boston.

He remained a starter for the next 3 games, then lost his starting job mid March.

As long as he's not playing big minutes and long stretches, he could be ok then.

Health issues:an ankle injury back in Sept. '06 put him on IR.

Fast Dunk
08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
:blah

Chris
08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Troy Hudson!