PDA

View Full Version : MNF Booth. How much longer.

BacktoBasics
08-21-2007, 12:00 PM
How much longer do we have to endure these guys. We've had some bad booths before but this takes the cake. Un-insightful, boring and borderlining on the absurd. This guys bring next to nothing objective about football itself.

I miss the old SNF guys, in my opinion that was one of the better booths in pro football.

mardigan
08-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I like ESPN's crew personally

O-Factor
08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I hate Tony on MNF, or as a football analyst at all. He brings nothing to the table.

Taco
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
How much longer do we have to endure these guys. We've had some bad booths before but this takes the cake. Un-insightful, boring and borderlining on the absurd. This guys bring next to nothing objective about football itself.

I miss the old SNF guys, in my opinion that was one of the better booths in pro football.

Who's your all time favorite's

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/img/12-05/1224hotair.jpg
Gifford, Cosell, Meredith

BacktoBasics
08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Its hard to say who my favorites are. I liked SNF before it got all changed up. Maybe its Kornholer I don't know....I just can't stand the guy, he brings nothing to the table. The play by play is ok at best. The dialogue in general is just poor and unentertaining with little to no useful or thought provoking insight.

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I really like Kornheiser on PTI, and it's one of my favorite shows.
But, I really can't stand him on MNF.

He tries to hard to be funny and he flatlines most of the time.

I like Jaws because he can really break a play down, but he's often cut off by Tony and sometimes has to talk over him.

I'd rather have Mike & Mike in the booth because their chemistry is natural and Golic would provide a concise break down of the action on the field.

samikeyp
08-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Gifford, Cosell, Meredith

leemajors
08-21-2007, 01:57 PM
i hated mcguire in the SNF booth. he was terrible.

BacktoBasics
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd rather have Mike & Mike in the booth because their chemistry is natural and Golic would provide a concise break down of the action on the field.I never thought of that. Great idea, how do we make it happen?

FromWayDowntown
08-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I'd rather have Mike & Mike in the booth because their chemistry is natural and Golic would provide a concise break down of the action on the field.

If they ever let Mike Greenberg near an NFL booth, I'll stop watching the NFL. I caught M&M calling an Arena League playoff game and Greenberg was flat-out clueless about what was happening on the field.

I really like Jaworski -- he brings the substance that Thiesmann never could while being conversational as well. I'd agree that Kornheiser would be best left off the prime time crew; ESPN should give up on the notion that it could create another Howard Cosell.

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
If they ever let Mike Greenberg near an NFL booth, I'll stop watching the NFL. I caught M&M calling an Arena League playoff game and Greenberg was flat-out clueless about what was happening on the field.

I really like Jaworski -- he brings the substance that Thiesmann never could while being conversational as well. I'd agree that Kornheiser would be best left off the prime time crew; ESPN should give up on the notion that it could create another Howard Cosell.

M&M plus Jaws. That's how you would fix the Greenberg problem. He wasn't all that bad, but he needs to be a little more versed in the game.

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I never thought of that. Great idea, how do we make it happen?

I say we flood ESPN with emails demanding M&M on MNF.

We need to set this im motion!!!

BacktoBasics
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Give me a email address and I'll commence the spamming.

peewee's lovechild
08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Give me a email address and I'll commence the spamming.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

That link there should get you started.

samikeyp
08-21-2007, 02:23 PM

They called ESPN's Arena League games...not half bad.

BacktoBasics
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm on it but its highly likely that they just delete any and every email.

timvp
08-21-2007, 02:36 PM

I really like Jaworski -- he brings the substance that Thiesmann never could while being conversational as well. I'd agree that Kornheiser would be best left off the prime time crew; ESPN should give up on the notion that it could create another Howard Cosell.Agreed 100% on each point. Greenberg doesn't really know much about anything. He knows straight up trivia but is horrible at applying it. He's perfect for radio because he can just blab continuously without the need for any substance at all. Golic knows football but he's nothing special as a commentator.

My favorite crew in all of football currently is Marv Albert and Boomer Esiason. They currently do MNF radio and they are fantastic. I like Al Michaels, although he's kinda turning into Bob Costas (who I despise) in that he over dramatizes games. Plus, Michaels hasn't had that good of chemistry with any crew since Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf were let go.

My favorite crew of all-time has to be the early years of John Madden and Pat Summerall ... back before Madden turned into a caricature of himself and Summerall's alcoholism caught up to him.

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Jaws is great. He actually gives INSIGHT into the game, which is a rare thing nowadays.

As much as everybody loves Madden - if you have just a basic knowledge of football, when is the last time he told you something that you didn't already know just by watching the play???????

I never played in the NFL (or college for that matter), and my mind is capable of giving the same analysis that any of these guys give. They water down their broadcasts to play to the absolute dumbest most ignorant person watching.

Kornheiser is predictably awful. Plus, he seems to be taking offense when Jaws corrects some of his ridiculous statements. Reminds me a bit of Cosell.

Trainwreck2100
08-21-2007, 02:48 PM
My favorite crew of all-time has to be the early years of John Madden and Pat Summerall ... back before Madden turned into a caricature of himself and Summerall's alcoholism caught up to him.

My favorite is Fox's second tier guys in Moose, Goose, and Stockton.

FromWayDowntown
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
As much as everybody loves Madden - if you have just a basic knowledge of football, when is the last time he told you something that you didn't already know just by watching the play???????

Every once in a while, Madden will step out of his schtick and actually provide some sort of coaching insight. I wish I could think of a great example right now. I'm pretty well versed in the nuances of defensive fronts and coverages, but there have been a couple of games in the last year or so where I caught myself saying "I never knew that," and learned something substantive by listening to Madden. Unfortunately, those moments are quickly dashed by his return to the gutteral sounds and drawing all over the telestrator.

I never played in the NFL (or college for that matter), and my mind is capable of giving the same analysis that any of these guys give. They water down their broadcasts to play to the absolute dumbest most ignorant person watching.

I agree completely with that.

Kornheiser is predictably awful. Plus, he seems to be taking offense when Jaws corrects some of his ridiculous statements. Reminds me a bit of Cosell.

Yeah, I think Kornheiser has tried to hard to be like Howard Cosell and he's not very good at it.

BeerIsGood!
08-21-2007, 02:58 PM
If you're fortunate enough to live in a city with ESPN Radio (or have satellite radio in your house) the best thing to do is mute the TV and put your entertainment system on ESPN radio. I do it for every MNF game I watch, and also for most Cowboy games unless Moose Johnston is covering the game. The current MNF is horrible, Kornheiser needs to keep to creating radio fodder and Jaws is halfway decent but he lets his big time Eagles bias seep into his commentary and analysis far too often. Plus, he just looks like an asshole.

mardigan
08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I really like Aikman and Buck a lot, I think they really got good chemistry

Thunder Dan
08-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Could be worse

http://www.tvguide.com/images/pgimg/cris-collingsworth1.jpg

K-State Spur
08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I think Kornheiser has tried to hard to be like Howard Cosell and he's not very good at it.

Yeah, Cosell used to get noticeably upset whenever Meredith would correct one of his remarks. But like him or not - Howard was Howard. Kornheiser is not.

Rynospursfan
08-21-2007, 05:20 PM
My favorite all time crew was Michaels, Gifford and Dierdorf.

I can't stand either Boomer or Tony Kornhiser.

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-22-2007, 03:28 AM
As long as that pompous douchenozzle Dennis Miller isn't part of the team, all is well.

MajorMike
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I am, and will always be, in the vast minority when I admit I loved Dennis Miller. He was more knowledgable about football than you thought, and he wasn't the same old 'aw shucks' kind of color that had been in the booth for so long. I also really liked Dan Fouts. Even tho I think Al Michaels is a great p-b-p guy, he is the one that killed that lineup. He simply didn't mesh well with Miller and his comments following Miller's color were, at time, some of the most awkward I have ever heard in a booth.

Madden will always be the best color guy, period. I never really cared for Pat, but that was one heavyweight (in more ways than one) group. Madden and Michaels are prolly up there in top 5 all time of a twosome.

Let me preface this by saying I hate, hate hate, hate hate hate, canot stand the irving plowboys and even moreso cannot stand tabacky boy / closet homoesxual troy boy. That being said Buck and Aikman are the best team in the game today. Buck could call a chessmatch (even tho I still think he belongs in baseball) and make it interesting, and I am quite suprised, especially with all those concusions, that Troy brings a good deal of insight to what is going on. They go together well. Both are very laidback and sort of soothing.

I think Boomer may be the best color going today behind Madden, and no way I can see Madden and Buck working. You put Buck and Boomer together - now THAT'S a winner.

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 09:21 AM

They are my all-time #1 non-MNF crew. They were great together. I was a fan of Summerall and Brookshire too before Madden came in.

BacktoBasics
08-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I really like Aikman and Buck a lot, I think they really got good chemistryI'll second that.

leemajors
08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
i can't stand joe buck. the team with moose is much better.

T Park
08-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Joe Buck is easily the best PBP guy in all of sports.

Aikman has really worked well into color commentary.

When Collinsworth was with those two, that WAS a great trio.

Shame Fox let Collinsworth go.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I sound like a Cowboys homer saying this, but Moose and Aikman are both very good color commentators. They each have just enough personality to keep it interesting, but don't make the telecast about them. Collinsworth was really annoying, but it may be due to the fact that he was the third guy. I always liked when Mike Patrick and Joe Theismann were a team, and thought it suffered when Maguire was brought in. There just doesn't seem to be room for three people in a telecast. Boomer got much better once he went to a two man radio team.

BTW, it's a fuckin' crime that anyone would consider having Mike Greenburg do play by play while Pam Ward is stuck doing WNBA games. Anyone that's heard Pam do college football games knows what I'm talking about.

T Park
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Pam?

The short haired chick with the deep sunken zombie eyes?

j-6
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Pam?

Pam Ward is great. She does most of ESPN's Big Ten and MAC games.

K-State Spur
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I sound like a Cowboys homer saying this, but Moose and Aikman are both very good color commentators. They each have just enough personality to keep it interesting, but don't make the telecast about them. Collinsworth was really annoying, but it may be due to the fact that he was the third guy. I always liked when Mike Patrick and Joe Theismann were a team, and thought it suffered when Maguire was brought in. There just doesn't seem to be room for three people in a telecast. Boomer got much better once he went to a two man radio team.

BTW, it's a fuckin' crime that anyone would consider having Mike Greenburg do play by play while Pam Ward is stuck doing WNBA games. Anyone that's heard Pam do college football games knows what I'm talking about.

Well, I'm a diehard Skins fan, and I have to admit that I respect both Aikman and Moose significantly in the booth. Collinsworth is brutal.

T Park
08-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Pam Ward is great. She does most of ESPN's Big Ten and MAC games.

she is good.

She did the SilverStars game today on ESPN2.

Obstructed_View
08-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Pam?

Yeah, she's got a face for radio, but she's better at PbP than almost everyone else in the business.

leemajors
08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
buck is one of the most annoying people on TV period. his call of randy moss pretending to moon the crowd was the biggest overreaction i have ever heard in my life. unfortunately we're stuck with him because his dad was famous.