PDA

View Full Version : Your top ten all-time favorite Spurs...

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-21-2007, 04:18 PM
This is a total popularity contest with no basis whatsoever on ability, contribution, or skill. Who'd you like best?

My ten:

1. David Robinson - the greatest Spur ever.
2. The Iceman - the coolest Spur ever.
3. Tim Duncan - the greatest player to ever wear the silver and black.
4. Edgar Jones - I always pretended to be EJ in every playground pickup game I played in as a kid (and adult).
5. Manu Ginobili - a winner in every sense of the word. I like winners.
6. George Johnson - My favorite Bruise Brother (along with Mark Olberding). Often had more blocks than points in the team's boxscore.
7. Robert Horry - One word -- Badass.
8. Sean Elliot - The '99 title and all he accomplished playing in pain that season cemented him in my Spursfan heart.
9. Charles Spider Smith - I never cheered so hard for a role player to succeed in all my life.
10. The Rifleman Chuck Person - Chuck Person was just plain cool. Not as cool as Ice, but pretty cool.

Honorable mention: James Silas -- Who knows the impact the Spurs would of had on the NBA in those first few years had Snake's knees held up.

samikeyp
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
1. Gervin
2. Robinson
3. Duncan
4. Elliott
5. Ginobili
6. Paultz
7. Olberding
8. Nealy
9. Silas
10. Kenon

mardigan
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
1)Tim
2)D-Rob
3)Ice
4)Willie Wnderson
5)Manu
6)Tony
7)The Ninja
8)Bruce
9)S-Jax
10)Dwayne Schintzius

H.M.
Del Negro
Dominique Wilkins

SenorSpur
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
1. David Robinson
2. Tim Duncan
3. George "Iceman" Gervin
4. James Silas
5. Larry Kenon
6. Sean Elliott
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Tony Parker
9. Artis Gilmore
10. Bruce Bowen

Honorable mention:
Ed "the wild helicopter" Jones
Stephen Jackson
Alvin Robertson

spurschick
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Bruce Bowen
3. Manu
4. Sean Elliot
5. David Robinson
6. Steve Kerr
7. Kevin Willis
8. Antonio Daniels
9. Dennis Rodman
10. Cherokee Parks

MrChug
08-21-2007, 04:39 PM
1. Bowen/David (tied 1st, seriously)
2. Tim
3. Sean
4. Manu
5. Chuck Person
6. SJax
7. Terry Cummings
8. Charles "Spider" Smith
9. Dale Ellis
10. Terry Porter

alamo50
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
1. David Robinson
2. George Gervin
3. Tim Duncan
4. Sean Elliott
5. Malik Rose
6. James Silas
7. Avery Johnson
8. Swen Nater
9. Chuck Person
10. Dale Ellis

jay014
08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
1.Tim Duncan
2.George Gervin
3.David Robinson
4.Tony Parker
5.Manu Ginobili
6.Alvin Robertson
7.Sean Elliott
8.Mike Mitchell
9.Artis Gilmore
10.Terry Cummings (before knee injury)

Kori Ellis
1. Stephen Jackson
2. Bruce Bowen
3. David Robinson
4. George Gervin
5. Tim Duncan
6. Mario Elie
7. Robert Horry
8. Manu Ginobili
9. Tony Parker
10. Paul Griffin (he's a friend of the family :) )

stretch
This is a total popularity contest with no basis whatsoever on ability, contribution, or skill. Who'd you like best?

My ten:

4. Edgar Jones - I always pretended to be EJ in every playground pickup game I played in as a kid (and adult).
6. George Johnson - My favorite Bruise Brother (along with Mark Olberding). Often had more blocks than points in the team's boxscore.
8. Sean Elliot - The '99 title and all he accomplished playing in pain that season cemented him in my Spursfan heart.
9. Charles Spider Smith - I never cheered so hard for a role player to succeed in all my life.
10. The Rifleman Chuck Person - Chuck Person was just plain cool. Not as cool as Ice, but pretty cool.

Honorable mention: James Silas -- Who knows the impact the Spurs would of had on the NBA in those first few years had Snake's knees held up.
How can Robinson be the greatest Spur ever and Duncan be the greatest player to ever wear the silver and black?

SenorSpur
08-21-2007, 04:48 PM

My ten:

Much props to you, my man, for keeping the memory of the Wild helicopter alive!

Kori Ellis
08-21-2007, 04:48 PM
How can Robinson be the greatest Spur ever and Duncan be the greatest player to ever wear the silver and black?

Because to him the greatest Spur is more than the just the greatest player.

stretch
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
True. I understand now.

hater
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
manu
duncan
bowen
horry
parker
del negro
daniels
elliott
oberto
marks

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-21-2007, 04:51 PM

True dat. :cooldevil

Reggie Miller
08-21-2007, 04:54 PM
1. David Robinson - One of the greatest men to play the game, and a great center. The main reason I ever followed the Spurs after the ABA years.
2. Tim Duncan - Timmy is his own man, but a worthy successor to the Admiral.
3. George Gervin - My favorite Spurs player as a child. His moves really set him apart, even back then.
4. Manu Ginobili - I just the love the guy. I'm not sure why. He would scare the crap out of me if he didn't play for one of my teams.
5. James Silas - Other than Dr. J, the most exciting player in the ABA. With Silas around, it was never over until the last buzzer.
6. Bruce Bowen - A inspirational role model. BB didn't let his background serve as an excuse for failure. Catch me in the right mood, and I've been known to call him my favorite Spur.
7. Fabricio Oberto - I sort of adopted Fab last year when everyone was down on him.
8. Tony Parker - I used to be pretty apathetic towards Parker, but he has really grown on me. Like a lot of people, I had made certain assumptions about him that have proved incorrect.
9. Brent Barry - The HEB hamburger bun commercial. 'Nuff said!
10. Chuck Person - One of my favorite players before Reggie came along.

Rynospursfan
08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
1. David Robinson
2. Antonio Daniels
3. Sean Elliott
4. Kevin Willis
5. Bruce Bowen
6. Tony Parker
7. Steve Kerr
8. Manu Ginobili
9. Dale Ellis
10.Brent Barry

Spurminator
08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
My Spur fandom begins in 1990...

1. Robinson
2. Bowen
3. Duncan
4. Parker
5. Ginobili
6. Elliott
7. Jackson
8. Rodman (at the time... hindsight has knocked him down a few notches)
9. Willie
10. AJ

CPspursfan
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
1) Duncan - The player that has brought the Spurs 4 trophies...plus he has that whole crazy Spock eyes thing going on.
2) RObinson - Great person great player
3) Manu - CLUTCH
4) Malik - his dunk on dikembe slammed the door shut on the nets in 03
5) Avery - Loved listening to his postgame interviews
6) Parker - He's growing on me. Could not stand his late game decision making before this postseason, but like I said...he's growing on me
7) Elliot - the miracle
8) Brickowski - seriously
9) Bonner - how can you not like a guy nicknamed the Red Rocket
10) Beno - Are you kidding me? TWO homecoming parties. one word...stud

HOEmada
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I noticed that many of you left Cadillac Anderson and Carl Herrera off your top 10's, ad can we forget all that Charles Smith did for us after we got him from New York??

Spurs Brazil
08-21-2007, 05:57 PM
1 - Duncan
2 - Robinson
3 - Manu
4 - Bruce
5 - TP
6 - Elliott
7 - Jax
8 - AJ
9 - Malik
10 - Horry

ShoogarBear
08-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Honorable mention: James Silas Honorable mention????????

8. Sean Elliot Oh, I get it.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/6/2/5/d623815735b.jpg

ShoogarBear
08-21-2007, 06:01 PM
4. Sean ElliotHas the EMS gotten to timvp's house yet?

timvp
08-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Has the EMS gotten to timvp's house yet?They made it just in the nick of time.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/waaaambulance-23284.jpg

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Honorable mention????????

Oh, I get it.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/6/2/5/d623815735b.jpg

I moved to SA about the time he got injured. I'm sure had I witnessed more of the ABA days he'd be top ten no doubt.

Silas, TC, Artis, Kenon, Mitchell, Rodman despite his antics, and Mr. Antoine Carr would all have made my top twenty.

ShoogarBear
08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
1. James Silas
2. Mike Gale
3. George Gervin
4. David Robinson
5. Bruce Bowen
6. Tim Duncan
7. Billy Paultz
8/9/10/etc. Coby Dietrick, Avery Johnson, Mike Mitchell, Mark Olberding, Sean Elliott

until I can think of others, that is.

SRJ
08-21-2007, 07:49 PM
10. Avery Johnson - in many corners he's hated now, but he busted his ass and persisted at his game long enough to play in over 1000 games. I can't ever hate Avery for being such a self-made man and for helping the Spurs win so many games over the years.

9. Artis Gilmore - A quiet man, a powerful craftsman in the post, Artis deserves to be in the HOF. I thought the 1999 DVD narration was unfair when it said that the Spurs franchise "lacked the dominant big man to push them over the top". Without Gilmore on the club, the Spurs wouldn't have played the Lakers as closely as they did back in the early '80s.

8. Robert Horry - It's always great to have a hated guy join your club. I HATED Horry back in the day and always thought his "clutch" reputation was overblown; I was just hatin'.

7. Tony Parker - Every year, Tony adds something to his game. Every year, he comes back stronger. He took (necessary) abuse from Pop, his job was threatened, and yet between the lines he has always been a professional. The Eva stuff and the rap album doesn't get in the way of his bottom line.

6. Sean Elliott - Such a graceful player - the way he dribbled, the way he shot, and the way he attacked the rim were so textbook and smooth. He's always been a nice, easygoing character who seems to treat the fans with respect.

5. Malik Rose - I've always had a soft spot for underdogs. Malik's an undersized guy who could really get in there and battle for boards with a nice outside shot. He punished the Mavericks in 2003, did a better than expected job on Shaq defensively, and threw it the fuck down on Dikembe in the Finals. I wish he was still here, and I hope he comes back to SA for his final season.

4. Manu Ginobili - When Manu gets it going, everybody better get clear. He's the most imaginative player going to the basket, he has a penchant for the spectacular with his finishes, his passes, and unexpected steals and blocks. He's got the best nose (pardon the pun) for the ball I've seen since Larry Bird. He is a bolt of lightning, and in many ways hard to define or evaluate.

3. George Gervin - What other player could score from more spots on the floor than Gervin? He could finger roll from damn near anyplace on the court, he could shoot the jumper, and he could dunk. He isn't the all around player Tim Duncan is, but kept his poise on the floor just like Duncan does. Gervin was, is, and ever shall be...the Iceman.

2. Tim Duncan - the greatest Spur of all time, Duncan is for us Spurs fans what Larry Bird or Bill Russell was for the Celtics. Magic and Mikan for the Lakers. Jordan for the Bulls. Year in, year out, Duncan scores from everywhere, grabs the rebounds, blocks the shots, finds the open man, and goes to bat for his teammates with the officials and with the coaches. Through it all, Duncan is polite with the press, never complains, and never demands attention. No player has ever epitomized "Head of the Snake" like Tim Duncan has.

1. David Robinson - if David Robinson didn't exist, it is likely that the Spurs would call another city home. Despite a revolving door of coaches (Brown, Bass, Tarkanian, Lucas, Hill), injury-plagued stars teammates (Terry Cummings, Willie Anderson), inept or over-the-hill supporting players (Paul Pressey, Sidney Green, David Greenwood, Vinnie Johnson, Lloyd Daniels, Tom Garrick, Sleepy Floyd...the list goes on), Robinson's all-world ability made the Spurs a very competitve team. And it seems apparent that the ethic Robinson established rubbed off on Tim Duncan to a degree, or at least reinforced Duncan's innate personal ethic. For a franchise that was defined by instability for so many years, Robinson was the first pillar in the new blueprint for Spurs basketball. And if Patrick Ewing had been in David Robinson's shoes in 1997, Tim Duncan's development would have been compromised in the three years or so before Duncan left the club.

MONTENEGRINO
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
1. Timmy
2. David
3. Manu
4. Bruce
5. Iceman
6. Žarko Paspalj (from Montenegro :))
7. Elliott
8. A. Johnson
9. Tony
10. Rasho Nesterovich (Montenegrian roots)

baseline bum
08-21-2007, 09:39 PM
1. Tim Duncan - The best player this team has ever had, and the rock the team is now built around. He has continued David's legacy, and has taken this team to heights no Spurs fan could have imagined 10 years ago.
2. David Robinson - The foundation for the success of the Spurs. David's the model our team's defense and character is built from. The most influential Spurs player ever.
3. Stephen Jackson - Coldest motherfucker to ever wear the black and silver.
4. Bruce Bowen - Maybe the second best role model in Spurs history, and a guy who became a franchise cornerstone from the second he put the jersey on.
5. Manu Ginobili - A jack of all trades with a flair for the dramatic.
6. Avery Johnson - The guy who was never supposed to be anything became one of the team's most devastating weapons in winning title #1. You gotta respect a guy who brings his numbers up every single year.
7. George Gervin - I know the guy, I used to play ball with his son Gee when I was a kid. Unfortunately, I'm too young to have any memories of his playing days in a Spurs uniform. Really great guy.
8. Tony Parker - It has been incredible watching this guy grow up in front of my eyes. I still remember him as a starstruck kid running onto the stage to shake David Stern's hand in the 2001 draft. From the second I saw him in preseason, I was blown away. He's Finals MVP and probably hasn't even hit his prime yet.
9. Sean Elliott - Dude wanted the ring so badly he played without a working kidney. I can't imagine the pain Sean went through to win it all. His 6-7 performance and his game-winning three in game 2 of the 99 WCF is easily the most memorable performance I've seen live.
10. Malik Rose - The little man who could grab boards, hit the jumper, and step up and guard Shaq when David went to the bench. His performance in a must-win game 2 of the 03 WCF will always be one of my favorite Spurs memories.

Seriously, I can't believe I gotta leave Mike Mitchell, Chuck Person, Mario Elie, and Robert Horry off my list of favorite Spurs :(

I'm too young to have seen Si or Special K, so I have to leave them off too.

dav4463
08-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Kenon
Horry
Silas
Edgar Jones
Ginobli
Parker
Gale

Honorable mention for coolest name: Wiley Peck

spursjustice
08-22-2007, 01:33 AM
1. Tim
2. Dave
3. Bruce
4. Sean Elliott
5. George Gervin
6. Ginobili
7. Parker
8. Horry
9. Malik Rose
10. Avery Johnson

The Spurs have too many classy players... I left out so many players from the early 90s...

ShoogarBear
08-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Damn, how did I leave Malik off? :oops

Sorry, Mark O, you gotta go . . .

urunobili
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
1- David Robinson (i am a Spurs fan because of him)
2- Tim Duncan (the best player in the world)
3- Manu Ginobili (one of the most exiting players in the league, and his improvisation capabilities has made him be compared to Pippen, Barkley among other all time greats)
4- Bruce Bowen (he sets the tone with his attitude and willingness to sacrifice himself for Pop's cause like no other)
5- Tony Parker (it took me a while to love him but he is one of the best ever to play at his position)
6- George Gervin (never saw him play but the contributions to the organization and to SAT makes him worthy a spot)
7- Robert Horry (after he confessed he enjoyed more being a spur than any other team he deserved this spot)
8- Malik Rose (i loved his passion for the game)
9- Avery Johnson (that title clinching shot made him ear this spot)
10- Sean Elliot (just know him from videos but was enough to c how great he was)

wildchild
08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Timmy
D-Rob
Gervin
Elliot
Manu
Tony
Bruce
A Johnson
Rodman
Big Shoot Rob

...7. Fabricio Oberto - I sort of adopted Fab last year when everyone was down on him.

Wow, me too! for the same reason :lol

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Brent Barry
Bruce
David Robinson
Hedo
Malik
Manu
Rasho
Sean Elliot
Sean Marks
Timmy

Runners up: Antonio Daniels, Beno and Tony Massenburg

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
duncan
robinson
ginoboli
elliot
bowen
steph
rodman
avery
willie
del negro

TMTTRIO
08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
1. David Robinson
2. Timmy
3. Manu
4. Sean Elliott
5. Robert Horry
6. Bruce Bowen
7. Malik Rose
8. Tony Parker
9. Kevin Willis
10. Steve Kerr

honorable mention: Sean Marks, Jimmy Chang :p: :lol

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I should give Rob an honorable mention as well because I do love him as a Spur.

tlongII
08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
I can't think of any...

Oh, Gee!!
08-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Timmy
David
Gervin
Tony
Manu
A.J.
Sean Elliott
Willie Anderson
Malik
Gilmore

Mario Elie gets honorable mention

cornbread
08-22-2007, 02:12 PM
D-Rob
Duncan
Ginobili
Bruce
Elliott
Avery
Tony
Gervin
Del Negro
Malik

shelshor
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Larry Kenon
Bruce Bowen
Manu Ginobili
George Gervin
Sean Elliott/Tony Parker
Mike Mitchell/Coby Dietrick
Mark Olberding/Terry Cummings/Billy Paultz

angel_luv
08-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Mario Elie gets honorable mention

:tu

MoSpur
08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
10. Dennis Rodman
9. James Whie
8. Steve Kerr
7. Malik Rose
6. Tony Parker
5. Stephen Jackson
4. Sean Elliott
3. Manu Ginobili
2. Tim Duncan
1. David Robinson

DR WU
08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
The Iceman
DRob
Timmy
Hands of God
TPark
Mike Mitchell
Sean Elliot
Antwan "Bigdog" Carr
Antonio Daniels
Malik Rose

nfg3
08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
1. Merlin
2. Admiral
3. Ice
4. Manu
5. Ninja
6. Snake
7. Bowen
8. Mr. K
9. J Moore
10. Eva's husband

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-24-2007, 12:50 PM
The Iceman
DRob
Timmy
Hands of God
TPark
Mike Mitchell
Sean Elliot
Antwan "Bigdog" Carr
Antonio Daniels
Malik Rose

Who is "Hands of God"? That's a nickname I haven't heard.

ObiwanGinobili
08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
1. Bowen
2. Duncan
3. David robinson
4. Manu
6. Sean Elliot
7. Steve Kerr
8. Sean Marks
9. Kevin Willis
10. Gervin

Strike
08-24-2007, 01:59 PM
10. Robert Horry
9. Mario Elie
8. Willie Anderson
7. Tony Parker
6. Manu Ginobili
5. George Gervin
4. Bruce Bowen
3. Sean Elliott
2. Tim Duncan
1. David Robinson

angel_luv
08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Who is "Hands of God"? That's a nickname I haven't heard.

Not Nazr- that is for sure. Butterfingers. :lol