PDA

View Full Version : More impressive? Spurs legit 3 of 5 or Lakers *threepeat*?

Fabbs
08-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Duncan, GNob and Parker vs Shaq, Kobe and Stern.
2003 2005 2007 vs 2000, 2001 and 2002 if you count the fixed Game 6 vs Kings.

Which is a more impressive run? For the weak "3 straight is better", listen parrots, for one anyone with an ounce of discernment knows the Kings game was rigged. 2ndly the Portland Gm 7 4th qtr was pretty bogus also, Steve Smith getting mugged and no call. Still, Portland chocked that one off.

But the Spurs have not repeated, might not with Pop. Lakers did.
So which run was better?

Fillmoe_
08-21-2007, 05:19 PM
lakeshow

stretch
08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
3-peat.

Switchman
08-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Spurs need to fucking repeat.

Dalhoop
08-21-2007, 06:43 PM
In terms of "Dynasty" what the Spurs are doing is more impressive. The Lakers during that three year span was very impressive, but it was for only three years. I liken it to the Rockets when they won two years in a row .. Its impressive, but only for a short period of time. The Spurs are working on almost eight years of, if not domination, being the favorate to win it all.

Although having three trophies in three years is great for the Lakers, They had their three and have been a bottom seed sense with only hope for the future. I would rather have three trophies and a chance at another every single year sense tyhe first then what the Lakers are now doing.

ChumpDumper
08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Our championships were rigged too.

Dex
08-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Uh oh.

Chump totally blew our secret. :rolleyes

Duncecap!

mavs>spurs2
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (3 members and 0 guests)
mavs>spurs, Dex, ChumpDumperDynasty

Oh shit this outta be good

Roxsfan
08-22-2007, 12:02 AM
The Lake-Show 3 consecutive titles was VERY impressive.

The Spurs 4 titles is also very impressive since it spans a longer period of time anchored by TD.

flipcritic
08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Threepeat.

z0sa
08-22-2007, 12:53 AM
a threepeat is i think ... by far more impressive. having the motivation to win it backtobacktoback takes alot of heart.

the spurs take a year off every other year and I'm hoping TP changes that this year.

Shank
08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Winning more than one championship in a row, in any professional sport, is difficult. Winning 3 in a row is that much more impressive.

samikeyp
08-22-2007, 09:13 AM
As much as I love the Spurs and despise the Lakers, I have to say the threepeat. That is not trying to downgrade what the Spurs have achieved because, despite the ignorant hate of some who think otherwise, winning 3 in 6 years is difficult and you have to have a great team to do that. I agree with the way Shank put it...its hard enough to win a championship, its even harder to repeat, and three in a row is even more so.

SpursDynasty
08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
The Spurs' run is more impressive. The Lakers had NO competition during their first two championships.

Medvedenko
08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
No competition....because they destroyed everyone in the second year. Still, 4 rings in a span from 99 to 07 is very impressive and shows the committment from Pop, TD and RC to build a great consistent team of pro's. You can't deny that. Now, winning 3 in a row is a feat very difficult to do in the era of egos, especially in LA. I would say it's about even. History will show that when you have 2 of the Top 5 players in the League, you're expected to win....

mardigan
08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
The Spurs' run is more impressive. The Lakers had NO competition during their first two championships.
And the SPurs have had none in 2 out of their last 3

ploto
08-22-2007, 12:37 PM
3 out of 3 is always more impressive than 3 out of 5.

JamStone
08-22-2007, 02:23 PM
3 out of 3 is always more impressive than 3 out of 5.

Right ... 100% > 60%

CubanMustGo
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Threepeat easily beats 3 of 5.

But 4 of 6 would be pretty damned impressive.

Oh, Gee!!
08-22-2007, 03:10 PM
worst.thread.ever.

wildchild
08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
worst.thread.ever.

C'mon! I can see worst thread in this forum. Go Fabbs :tu

Cry Havoc
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
If the Spurs win a b2b this year, I'd have to say they make a strong case for the 3rd best Dynasty in NBA history. 5 titles in 9 years under the current league salary cap rules would be amazing by any standards.

Until then, I have to give it to the Lakers. We only have one more Championship than they do during this run. However, the Spurs obviously have a better chance at winning 2-4 more titles before Duncan hangs them up. Scary stuff.

LakeShow
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
If the Spurs win a b2b this year, I'd have to say they make a strong case for the 3rd best Dynasty in NBA history. 5 titles in 9 years under the current league salary cap rules would be amazing by any standards.

Until then, I have to give it to the Lakers. We only have one more Championship than they do during this run. However, the Spurs obviously have a better chance at winning 2-4 more titles before Duncan hangs them up. Scary stuff.

Even though the Lakers 5-9 record in Championships in the 80's and the first team to repeat in 20years was very impressive, along with what the spurs are able to accomplish by repeating, I find what Shaq\Kobe\Phil did far more impressive. Can you imagine what it takes to be motivated and driven to accomplish that? I give Phil a lot of credit as well. Players that have experience winning back to back will tell you that the hardest thing to do is to defend your title. September to June for 3 years, after the parade and the hoopla you end up with 2 months off for the summer. Of course you're doing a lot of PR work, commercials, appearances, etc. and you're right back playing ball. The Lakers dealt with injuries throughout and players just stepped up.

All of these runs are impressive, but the 3peat is on a larger scale than impressive, it was AWESOME!

Cry Havoc
08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Even though the Lakers 5-9 record in Championships in the 80's and the first team to repeat in 20years was very impressive, along with what the spurs are able to accomplish by repeating, I find what Shaq\Kobe\Phil did far more impressive. Can you imagine what it takes to be motivated and driven to accomplish that? I give Phil a lot of credit as well. Players that have experience winning back to back will tell you that the hardest thing to do is to defend your title. September to June for 3 years, after the parade and the hoopla you end up with 2 months off for the summer. Of course you're doing a lot of PR work, commercials, appearances, etc. and you're right back playing ball. The Lakers dealt with injuries throughout and players just stepped up.

All of these runs are impressive, but the 3peat is on a larger scale than impressive, it was AWESOME!

And if the Spurs win 5 titles in 9 years, or 6 in 10, will that not be awesome as well? Sustained dominance over a long period of time is every bit as hard to compile as a short burst of winning. In today's salary cap league, keeping a championship team together is nearly impossible -- and proved to be far too much for Kobe and Shaq (after just 4 years) to handle.

The Spurs have been one of the top 2-3 teams in the league since 1999. It's now 2007. If they win this year, they will have a back-to-back as well as three OTHER championships in less than a decade. That's not awesome, that's insanity.

SpursDynasty
08-22-2007, 11:49 PM
And the SPurs have had none in 2 out of their last 3

Wrong. In 2003, in Game 5 of the semifinals series between the Spurs and Lakers, if Horry's shot for the Lakers (anyone remember that?) goes down, the Spurs would be down 3-2 and probably not win the series. To have a series decided by one shot qualifies as the Spurs having competition.

In 2005, the Pistons took the series 7 games in the Finals. If Horry's shot for the Spurs in overtime in Game 5 doesn't go down, it's the Pistons taking the 3-2 lead. Again, a 7 game series decided by one shot = competition.

2007 was by far the easiest year for the Spurs and no competition.

The Spurs fought hard in '03 and '05 for their rings.

The Spurs by far have a more talented core. That Lakers core of Shaq, Kobe, Horry, Fisher, and Fox had been together since the 1997-1998 season. That core had already been defeated by the Spurs in 1999. So it's really 3 titles in 7 years for that Lakers core which broke up in 2004. The Spurs have been in the running for five straight years.

Spurs by far more impressive.

Medvedenko
08-23-2007, 12:30 AM
SpursDynasty makes no sense..... Fisher and Kobe were barely in their second year in 97-98, hence not really part of the core until Phil arrived.

LakeShow
08-23-2007, 12:38 AM
And if the Spurs win 5 titles in 9 years, or 6 in 10, will that not be awesome as well? Sustained dominance over a long period of time is every bit as hard to compile as a short burst of winning. In today's salary cap league, keeping a championship team together is nearly impossible -- and proved to be far too much for Kobe and Shaq (after just 4 years) to handle.

The Spurs have been one of the top 2-3 teams in the league since 1999. It's now 2007. If they win this year, they will have a back-to-back as well as three OTHER championships in less than a decade. That's not awesome, that's insanity.

If the Spurs win 6-10 it would take them winning 3 titles in a row. If they do that, it is no question their feat would be more impressive than the Lakers 3peat. They would be 2nd to only the bulls. I'm not trying to take anything away from a team that wins 5-9. I just put the 3peat in a league of it's own.

Fabbs
08-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Thread was meant for those who actually saw the games and "have an ounce of discernment". If all you can do is say 3>2 with no supporting reasons or make some Humpy remark about how the Spurs championships were rigged, your ignorance speaks.

While indeed the Spurs had their moments, including Horry the Laker shot that went in and out and allowed the Spurs to avoid Popping away a 20 pt halftime lead, it's true Phil >>> Pop. But it pales in comparison to the Portland choke job and the Kings Gm 6. Nonetheless, the Lakers did repeat.

Spurs have the chance to go 4 of 6 and strenthen any pro Spurs stance.

Good point about Lakers being 3-7 with the same core of Kobe-Shraq-Fisher. Spurs with GNob are 3 of 5. :toast

Medvedenko
08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
The Kobe and Fisher arguement can't be started, as they had an entirely different team and structure when Phil came on board. Kobe went into the starting line up and they lost nick van excel and Eddie jones....Now, with the team they had prior, they should have at least went to the finals. It took the emergence of Kobe and Phil to actually get them there.

samikeyp
08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Favorite Lakers Player - Buck

My nephew goes to his High School up here and I will be seeing the doctor he sees up here on monday.

leemajors
08-23-2007, 03:49 PM

it would be more impressive if a team hadn't done it twice in 8 years the decade previous.

Medvedenko
08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
How many 3peats have their been through out the NBA's history.......not too many...

LakeShow
08-23-2007, 04:12 PM
My nephew goes to his High School up here and I will be seeing the doctor he sees up here on monday.

Cool! I bet he's a legend at Everett High.

leemajors
08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
How many 3peats have their been through out the NBA's history.......not too many...
i'm not diminishing the accomplishment, but it had been done twice very recently before.

TonyParkerSux
08-23-2007, 09:04 PM
3peat. the 3 in 5 years is very impressive, but by definition the 3peat is much more impressive as it is much more difficult to accomplish. Even as dominant as the Spurs have been over the better part of the last decade, they have never won back to back championships.

B and P Cats
08-24-2007, 03:47 AM

The Lakers have 3peated - (they also have many assorted championship wins over the years)

So have the Bulls - twice in the 90's

So have the Celtics, but they did more than 3 peat. (I am not sure how many in a row for them. They have 16 championships overall)

Just my small amount of knowledge on championship history

spursfan09
08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
3peat, because thats 3 years in a row, where nobody can beat you. What Spurs have done is great and all, but they so need to repeat.