PDA

View Full Version : Who can guard Duncan well enough or to the extent of shutting him down?

SpursWillOwn
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
From this year's playoffs
Kurt Thomas did an OK job to the extent PHX dont have to dbl team him
Nene did an above average job but gets in foul trouble most of the time
Okur got owned
Varejao kinda disrupted TD's game

Who else could guard/guarded Duncan well enough?
Karl Malone? PJ Brown?

sandman
08-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Okur got owned

Karl Malone? PJ Brown?

Dampier, when not in foul trouble, seems to have a knack for blocking or disrupting his shot.

urunobili
08-22-2007, 09:07 AM
- Desagana Diop
- Eric Dampier
- Fabricio Oberto (watch some athens 2004 games)
- Anderson Varejao
- Emeka Okafor
- Kurt Thomas

NO ONE in this earth can shut him down... those that i put there actualy do a decent job on him...

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2007, 09:08 AM
if you are basing KMs defensive role on duncan in the 03/04 playoffs than thats just wrong, cose duncan was basically playin 1 on 4...malone knows he had shaq covering the weakside if duncan does get pass him....

MI21
08-22-2007, 09:09 AM
Rasheed Wallace, by far.

duncan228
08-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Rasheed Wallace can give Duncan a hard time.
Not to "shut him down" extent, but he always seems to bother him at least somewhat.

BronxCowboy
Rasheed Wallace, by far.

:tu

duncan228
Rasheed Wallace, by far.

:lol
I type too slow!

Indazone
08-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Okur got owned

Karl Malone? PJ Brown?

Aside from the obvious Yao Ming, I am gonna say Kevin Garnett hands down.

Testing
08-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Rasheed and KG....Not so much he can defend him but he cancels him out and makes him work hard at the other end as well.

SpursWillOwn
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Aside from the obvious Yao Ming, I am gonna say Kevin Garnett hands down.

Yao gets killed when TD faces up with him.. KG dont seem to be the best option to guard him Sheed did a much better job

SpursWillOwn
08-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe Scola next year, we all know how dedicated to defence Scola is :lol

BronxCowboy
08-22-2007, 09:37 AM
It will be fun seeing Duncan school Scola. :devil The Rox better hope that Mutumbo comes back, if only try and gaurd Duncan.

SenorSpur
08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Rasheed Wallace
Kevin Garnett
Desgana Diop

Chris
08-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Sheed

lebomb
08-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Illness, sheriff dept., police dept. His wife Amy??......thats about it.

Budkin
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Diop without a doubt.

Medvedenko
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Kwame Brown plays him tough.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-22-2007, 12:17 PM
1. Diop
1. Rasheed
3. Nene
4. Kurt
5. PJ
6. Sideshow Bob

ShoogarBear
08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Thing thing about Thomas guarding Duncan well is he had very little team defense supporting him, whereas Rasheed, at least with the Pistons, is usually doing it in the context of good team structure. KT would probably be even more effective if he had hooked up with JVG again in Houston or with Dallas.

Fortunately, that never happened.

Supergirl
08-22-2007, 12:56 PM
The only two players I have ever seen really give TD a hard time consistently are Rasheed Wallace and KG.

Others occasionally have a good game against him, mostly because they manage to get in his head or get confidence from a couple blocks, but other times TD has owned them.

Sheed and KG. Those are the only two, I would say. And Karl Malone, in his prime, which didn't overlap for much of Timmy's career.

spursjustice
08-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Rasheed and KG... both have the length and will to cover TD...

How bout Dave Robinson in practice? Has anyone seen these two match up?

exstatic
08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
There's only one player I can think of that bothers Tim at all: Rasheed.

Kurt Thomas was a fucking joke. Giving up 27+ points on 57% shooting and almost 14 rebounds is hardly more than a practice dummy could have done on Tim. Okur? PWN3D. Varajao? Flopper who got a few calls and a lot of double and triple team help.

THE SIXTH MAN
08-22-2007, 06:59 PM
For me it would be in this order.
1.Rasheed
2.Diop
3.KG

Behrooz24
08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Amare

LOL!!!

ShoogarBear
08-22-2007, 07:08 PM
There's only one player I can think of that bothers Tim at all: Rasheed.

Kurt Thomas was a fucking joke. Giving up 27+ points on 57% shooting and almost 14 rebounds is hardly more than a practice dummy could have done on Tim. Okur? PWN3D. Varajao? Flopper who got a few calls and a lot of double and triple team help.You can throw stats all you want. They don't tell you what you could only get by watching the games.

CarefreeAZ
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Kwame Brown plays him tough.....

Are you serious? Kwame has a hard time making a dunk and hanging onto the ball. How the hell can he guard Tim Duncan. He should go enroll in a skills camp.

exstatic
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
You can throw stats all you want. They don't tell you what you could only get by watching the games.

What, that Kurt could only slow him somewhat when he grabbed two handsful of Tim's shorts? The effort wasn't lacking, but he got raped by Tim.

Mojazz
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Rasheed Wallace, by far.
I second to that...

sanman53
08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I always thought Robert Horry, while with the Lakers, did a good job of defending Timmy.

TheAuthority
08-23-2007, 05:47 AM
I always thought Robert Horry, while with the Lakers, did a good job of defending Timmy.

Beat me to it. Horry did a pretty good job of guarding Duncan.

1) Rasheed
2) Horry
3) Camby

hsxvvd
08-23-2007, 06:45 AM
David Robinson?

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2007, 07:05 AM
Beat me to it. Horry did a pretty good job of guarding Duncan.

1) Rasheed
2) Horry
3) Camby

Are you insane? get this fake posse out of here, this dude was exposed in the 99 finals....06/07 he was exposed in the playoffs, DPOY my arse...duncan was robbed

tlongII
08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Greg Oden

MrChug
08-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Tim said a while back that players with similar phyziques gave him trouble...named Sheed and KG. But historically I always watched how well Diop defended him and Dampier at times. Pau Gasol too.

GO SPurs Go
08-23-2007, 07:20 PM
all of you are saying that Diop guards him well. The only reason you think that is because of the seventh game of the 2006 playoffs. FYI: Duncan was putting a monstrous 30-20 effort into each game in the series WHILE still suffering from Plantar Fascitis. Conventiently for Diop, he started guarding Duncan in overtime when Duncan was quite understandibly exhausted. Think of it this way, you tell the 100 meter champion to run 200 miles and then you beat him in a 100 meter race, BIG DEAL.

JamStone
08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
I definitely agree with a few people here that say Rasheed Wallace. I've seen Rasheed play very well against Tim at both ends of the court. I definitely think Rasheed's natural length and athleticism along with his similar size and frame causes Duncan some problems. Rasheed played him 100 times better than Ben Wallace did. Ben is relentless at defense, but even with his wingspan and length and greater strength than Rasheed, Tim Duncan is taller and longer than Ben and knows how to use that length advantage.

I haven't seen enough one-on-one match-ups between Duncan and KG, but I would assume Kevin Garnett would be able to a very solid job on Duncan. I would also assume KG has had some very good defensive performances in the past against Duncan.

I've heard some people say Kwame does a good job on Duncan, and I would say Kwame has the athleticism and size to match up well, but I haven't seen enough of him guarding Duncan to be certain.

The one player that may still turn out to be one of the more effective defenders on Duncan should be Dwight Howard. If Dwight Howard can raise his basketball IQ and learn the other nuances and tricks to post defense instead of relying on pure athleticism, then he has the skills, size, and athleticism to be a very potent defender on Duncan. And, given that maturity and development, I think he has the potential to be able to shut down Tim Duncan in the future. I'm sure he hasn't done that yet though.

E20
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Rasheed Wallace during his days at North Carolina and in the NBA has given Duncan some trouble.

Slippy
08-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Gotta agree with Rasheed Wallace.

stretch
08-24-2007, 09:19 AM
all of you are saying that Diop guards him well. The only reason you think that is because of the seventh game of the 2006 playoffs. FYI: Duncan was putting a monstrous 30-20 effort into each game in the series WHILE still suffering from Plantar Fascitis. Conventiently for Diop, he started guarding Duncan in overtime when Duncan was quite understandibly exhausted. Think of it this way, you tell the 100 meter champion to run 200 miles and then you beat him in a 100 meter race, BIG DEAL.
No. People are saying Diop defends Duncan well, because he actually does defend him well. Those were just Diop's finest moments against Duncan.

Don't forget, that no one is saying anything about Diop shutting Duncan down. But Duncan typically has to work harder against Diop than many other players in the league. But Rasheed does the best job on Duncan IMO.

leemajors
08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
No. People are saying Diop defends Duncan well, because he actually does defend him well. Those were just Diop's finest moments against Duncan.

Don't forget, that no one is saying anything about Diop shutting Duncan down. But Duncan typically has to work harder against Diop than many other players in the league. But Rasheed does the best job on Duncan IMO.
diop's only marks against him in that series was the rate at which he racked up fouls. he guarded him fairly effectively, but no one was stopping duncan in that series.

TheAuthority
08-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Are you insane? get this fake posse out of here, this dude was exposed in the 99 finals....06/07 he was exposed in the playoffs, DPOY my arse...duncan was robbed

Yes, Tim deserved DPOY, but Camby guards him well.

wildchild
08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
- Desagana Diop
- Eric Dampier
- Fabricio Oberto (watch some athens 2004 games)
- Anderson Varejao
- Emeka Okafor
- Kurt Thomas

NO ONE in this earth can shut him down... those that i put there actualy do a decent job on him...

The best D on Timmy?

Oberto, in the Fiba America Championship 2003 really amazing this first game against Timmy. And the Olympcs 2004, so good on Duncan.

In NBA, Shaq when Timmy plays like center :lol . Seriously, Sheed. May be KG.

Phil Hellmuth
08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Shawn Bradley